PDA

View Full Version : Best free Windows 7 Antivirus?

Rosstin
2014-01-04, 02:36 PM
I'm afraid to Google this because of scammy results.

What's the best, free, Windows 7 Antivirus? I was using AVG but it's starting to wig out. It wants me to restart my computer but it's unable to properly detect my restart (probably because I have a Macbook Air + Bootcamp).

I'm considering switching to something else, both to get rid of this annoying restart popup and to try something new. I've heard that Avira and Avast are both okay. Anyone use those?

BaronOfHell
2014-01-04, 02:42 PM
I use malwarebytes. I used to use spybot.

Rosstin
2014-01-04, 03:07 PM
Someone also recommended Microsoft Security Essentials.

BaronOfHell
2014-01-04, 03:11 PM
I used that one too at some point, but after getting infected with something mild and ME didn't find anything wrong while mbam did, I just uninstalled it, as it never found anything, despite its real time protection.

Canuck617
2014-01-04, 03:11 PM
I've liked the one that comes with Windows so far, be it Defender or Security Essentials. (I think Security Essentials comes with 7 while Defender returns in 8.)

Also, if you're worried about scammy google results, they're usually located in the ads, which you can block out with AdBlock Plus. Once you install it, you have to go to "filter preferences" and under the "filter subscriptions" tab, uncheck the box that says "Allow some non-intrusive advertising".

:smallmad:All advertising is intrusive.:smallmad:

Please disregard this message about AdBlock Plus if you already have this installed and this option enabled. I'm just trying to help.

Btw, I actually allow ads for this site. It's my lone exception, and I've found some cool webcomics this way. (Yes, the ads are still intrusive, but I likes these ones.)

eidreff
2014-01-04, 03:33 PM
There are a bunch of possibles. AVG, Avast etc. Antivirus can be very subjective, and a personal taste. I feel that most of the free offerings (most companies have a free version, usually last years with updated signatures) are pretty much of a muchness, and all are nagware designed to persuade you to buy. The Antivirus companies, although in competition, also have a vested interest in preventing infections. I'd suggest trying a few to see what you get on with best.

I personally put Avast on PCs for family members or friends, mainly because the pirate voice is amusing :smalltongue: (the speech can become annoying in to say the least, but can be disabled)

I also keep up to date copies of ClamAV and MalwareBytes on a USB stick to scan from outside the system if I suspect that something has sneaked in.

Don't put more than one antivirus on a PC, they can pick each other up as a false hit because of their libraries of virus signatures.

MS Security Essentials is OK as far as I know, and may well be enough, but doesn't give me the feedback/control I like.... but that's getting back to the subjective element I mentioned earlier:smallsmile:

lesser_minion
2014-01-05, 10:48 AM
For Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials generally tests very well. Avast! makes fewer assumptions about exactly how your computer is set up and how you use it, IIRC.

Note that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is designed to complement anti-virus software, not to replace it. An anti-virus program will not pick up on the same things that MBAM will, and vice versa. On Windows 7, the Windows Defender and MSRT utilities are, likewise, not anti-virus software.

As always, it should be said that you make far more of a difference to how safe you are online than any piece of software you can install.

memnarch
2014-01-05, 09:42 PM
I personally prefer Avast, and I haven't run into problems yet. I've heard some people find that it gets a number of false positives though, but I believe you can tell the program to ignore them if you wish. All I can really say though is that I would never use Microsoft's AV, McAfee, or Norton.

For browsing on the internet though, I would have to recommend an ad-blocker with whitelist for websites you like, as well as some type of NoScript to stop java exploits.

Grozomah
2014-01-06, 03:47 AM
Avast user here as well. I had some bad experience a few years ago with AVG, so I stayed away from it, despite the fact they must have fixed the issue a considerable time ago.

thracian
2014-01-06, 12:05 PM
AVG and MSE are known to be weaker in detecting live threats than Avast or Avira. Avira has the most annoying popups I've seen in an antivirus, so I've stuck with recommending Avast.

Malwarebytes is good for detecting threats already on the computer, although I don't believe it gives preventative protection, at least not the free version.

SarahV
2014-01-06, 02:11 PM
I just started using Avast! a month or two ago and I've been liking it so far. I am using the enterprise version, but I tested out the free version before committing to the purchase.

I never trusted AVG after it let my computer get infected with a known, two-year-old virus through opening a client e-mail. :smallyuk:

Malwarebytes is a great tool also, and I think the free version lets you do some preventative stuff even if it is not real-time protection. Definitely something to have on your PC.

Kluev
2014-01-10, 04:18 AM
MSE + Mbam are good among free.
Also Avira Free 2014 is TOP one due to almost all rankings
http://privacy-pc.com/news/best-security-software-2014.html
But i prefer NOD 32 ESET \ Kaspersky

Amarsir
2014-01-11, 02:47 PM
Since the thread was bumped, another thumbs up for Microsoft Security Essentials. At first I was resistant to the idea, because I felt if they were that competent they would have built it into Windows to begin with. But it's good, effective, and most importantly unintrusive.

(And with Windows 8 they did build it in, calling it Windows Defender.)

Winter_Wolf
2014-01-13, 01:23 AM
I have MSE and Avast, and between the two, MSE is way better. Avast just keeps getting worse and worse with every full version number as far as my needs go. In the past it has helped me avoid or remove problems, but lately it's mainly just good at slowing down my system and killing my internet speed. I had to turn off web shielding—realtime scanning of web pages through proxies—to get rid of the terrible slow downs. The previous version of Avast (v8.something) did not have this problem. Let me repeat that: I had to turn off part of the AV security system to stop my entire system from grinding to a halt. On a 2.5GHz i-5 quad core with 6GB of RAM. And it's a common problem, if the numerous posts on Avast's own forums are to be believed.

MSE has its problems too, but everything slowing to a crawl all the time and constantly trying to upsell every time you open the interface are NOT among those problems. Mainly it's just overzealous in its defense strategy.

thracian
2014-01-13, 08:28 AM
AV programs are one of those things that everyone and their dog has a different opinion on, mostly due to personal experience. I can't recall the last time I've actually opened the Avast! UI and it's yet to cause any performance problems, so it's good for me (and it has better detection rates than MSE in most tests).

Socratov
2014-01-16, 10:11 AM
My personal favorite is Avira. Not only is it free and up to date (though you can get more protection if you pay for it in the form of spyware, malware removal, and what not) and you can get by it with no problem whatsoever. As an added bonus it calls itself 'Luke Filewalker' when it's scanning your files. It's not a hard boost, but a nice perk :smallcool::smallbiggrin: