PDA

View Full Version : Flying books attack!

Donox
2014-01-04, 02:55 PM
My party is about to enter an ancient library. In said Library I anticipate them encountering book golems, animated bookshelves, and flying books.

I want the flying books to flying in the PCs' faces to blind them. Should I require a reflex save vs blindness or a touch attack followed by grapple attempts?

That said. Anyone have stats for book golems? As of right now I'm probably going to refluff an existing golem (probably adding fire vulnerability) but I'd rather not do that.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-04, 03:12 PM
I was kinda hoping that this thread was gonna be about throwing DMGs at uppity players...

As far as the books binding your plays goes, I would not try to make it a grapple check. Being grapes is very different in d and d than just covering someone's face. If you want the books to be actual factual monsters then I would go with a touch attack that deals a d4 damage and blinds with an escape artist check to get it off.

If you want the books to just be a trap I would have it be a reflex save to avoid then maybe strength checks each round to wrench it off.

AMFV
2014-01-04, 03:17 PM
Animate Objects work somewhat like what you want. You could also refluff some animals or add construct templates to them. Bats come to mind, anything that flies could work, you could have the entire bookshelves come alive as well in addition to swarms of books.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-04, 03:40 PM
Seconding Animated Objects. They can get blind and constrict abilities as appropriate.

Nirhael
2014-01-04, 03:43 PM
Consider Explosive Runes and Sepia Snakes for added fun too.

BWR
2014-01-04, 03:57 PM
I now have pictures in my mind of books sneaking up on hapless PCs and flashing them.

Thanks a bunch.

unseenmage
2014-01-04, 05:59 PM
You could also use the Tiny Animated Object stats and apply the Swarm Subtype. That might get the effect you're after as well. Not sure if Swarms can grapple or not though.

Kerilstrasz
2014-01-04, 08:43 PM
Don't have my books handy at the moment...

I think there is a creature in MM1 that resembles a black octapus-squid-like creature. It's tactic is to appear out of nowhere and stick on PCs faces..
maybe you want to check it out and get some ideas... "parchment-scrolls" that sneak up on them and roll tight around their faces...

unseenmage
2014-01-04, 09:11 PM
Don't have my books handy at the moment...

I think there is a creature in MM1 that resembles a black octapus-squid-like creature. It's tactic is to appear out of nowhere and stick on PCs faces..
maybe you want to check it out and get some ideas... "parchment-scrolls" that sneak up on them and roll tight around their faces...

Is the Darkmantle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/darkmantle.htm) what you're thinking of?

Morphie
2014-01-04, 10:24 PM
You could put mimics as entire bookshelves that attack, and you could use flying sheets of paper that make a fog-like effect, reducing visibility on the area. If they use fire to burn the papers, the ink on them could then evaporate to form a toxic cloud (cloudkill, stinking cloud, etc).

Thurbane
2014-01-04, 11:56 PM
Re-fluff a Broom of Animated Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#broomofAnimatedAttack) as a book - it bludgeons the player, and the dusty pages blind them for a round when slapped in their faces...