PDA

View Full Version : [PF] False Focus feat for a witch

Dalebert
2014-01-04, 03:53 PM
He's a gravewalker with a poppet made from his dead mother's body. He was a total momma's boy, the last of many children (he's ratfolk) to still be at home caring for her, and she was training him to be a hedge witch. Now whatever is in the poppet has convinced him that it's his mother's spirit and is guiding him as a gravewalker.

Would it make sense to take the false focus feat and have a locket with a portrait of his mother instead of a holy symbol of some deity? Is that a perversion of the feat or an appropriate take on it?

Can you have spares? For instance, I was thinking of wearing a gold locket but having a silver locket that is sewn up inside the body of a zombie crow. If I ever get separated from my focus and my spell pouch, I could get it out (probably killing the crow in the process) and have a way to cast spells again.

Psyren
2014-01-04, 04:29 PM
You can have as many divine foci as you want.

As for your "mom's locket" idea, you can worship an ideal and say that that's the ideal's holy symbol I suppose. What really matters is the value of such an item, because if it's worthless then the feat will be too.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-04, 04:44 PM
Call the poppet (or locket, or whatever) a divine focus for your patron, which your character believes to be his mother.

And yeah, you can worship any damn thing you want, from people (both dead and living), to animals, to trees and all manner of concepts and demons and spirits. So I'd be cool with false focus working that way.

Dalebert
2014-01-04, 06:08 PM
What really matters is the value of such an item, because if it's worthless then the feat will be too.

Of course. That's why I was thinking it would be a commissioned portrait of my mom inside a very nice heart-shaped gold locket. That should easily be on par with a gold holy symbol (100gp). And the silver alternative I figure will be about 25gp value.

Psyren
2014-01-04, 07:01 PM
As long as your DM is on board with the value you're good.

Erik Vale
2014-01-04, 07:13 PM
Of course. That's why I was thinking it would be a commissioned portrait of my mom inside a very nice heart-shaped gold locket. That should easily be on par with a gold holy symbol (100gp). And the silver alternative I figure will be about 25gp value.

You could later/same time try to get a tattoo focus, which is also of 100gp and cannot be lost unless they apply plenty of acid/fire to the area specifically to destroy it.