PDA

View Full Version : Karsite Shadowcasters

Xuldarinar
2014-01-04, 04:14 PM
A question of interaction.

Karsites possess the racial trait called Spellcasting Inability, which says a Karsite cannot cast arcane or divine spells, even if they take levels in a class that grants spellcasting ability. They can however use spell-like abilities, psionic powers, and magic items normally.

Shadowcasters, when their mysteries are castable 1/day, the mysteries are treated as arcane spells for the purposes of casting for the most part.

My question is how the class and race interact.

Psyren
2014-01-04, 04:27 PM
It would probably keep them from using mysteries until they were SLA/Su abilities, which would be pretty terrible for them.

But they could use Binding and Truenaming just fine.

Xuldarinar
2014-01-04, 05:56 PM
That makes sense. I suppose it depends if one decides the trade offs are worth it, seeing as the other racial traits of Karsite are decent.

Cog
2014-01-04, 06:27 PM
That makes sense. I suppose it depends if one decides the trade offs are worth it, seeing as the other racial traits of Karsite are decent.
Paying 2 LA so that you can be a commoner with a few supernatural cantrips for a significant part of your career is probably not going to be worth it, unless you're starting at mid/high levels.

lunar2
2014-01-04, 06:55 PM
while mysteries are cast as arcane spells, they are not spells, they are mysteries. a karsite should be able to use them just fine.