PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible? Iaijutsu Build

Gamereaper
2014-01-04, 06:05 PM
Is there a way to create a character that can use Iaijutsu every round by drawing their sword, attacking, and sheathing every round?

I will have to make them CHA based, so maybe a couple levels in sorcerer or 1 level in Sorcerer and a few levels in Abjurant Champion.

I don't know what I will do, but I know I want the sheath/attack/resheath thing every round if I can.

Sayt
2014-01-04, 06:07 PM
I believe the standard way is with the Gnomish quickrazor, from races of stone.

Cog
2014-01-04, 06:17 PM
The basic problem is that you need to use a move action to re-sheath by default. Gnomish Quickrazor makes resheathing automatic for the cost of a feat: other solutions involve spending that move action. The first is to just do it, and make sure your standard-action attack is worthwhile: you pretty much need Tome of Battle strikes for this. The other option is to get an extra move action. Psionics is your best bet here, though it'll be harder to tie into the Cha that Iaijutsu builds want.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-04, 06:25 PM
YOu want to wield a non gnomish quickrazor as a gnomish quickrazor? I do so too.

Ask your DM if he would allow a feat called "Quick Sheathe" that is exactly like quick draw but with sheathing instead.

If not use gnomish quickrazor, the weapon specifies that you can sheathe it as a free action.

Heck... I'm pretty sure you don't even need a feat for it, at later levels, -4 on a brilliant gnomish quickrazor means nothing...

Also, I do not understand if you are referring to Iaijutsu, or Iaijutsu Focus

The first being the japanese combat art, the second being the Oriental Adventures' skill.

Gamereaper
2014-01-04, 06:33 PM
Ok, so I'm going to use a Gnomish Quickrazor. If I need Quick Draw for a feat that lets me treat people as flat footed, then **** it, I'll get Quick Draw and Quick Sheath ASAP.

I think I'll try to use a Rogue. Can I get backstab AND the Iaijutsu skill at the same time?

Also, I do not understand if you are referring to Iaijutsu, or Iaijutsu Focus

The first being the japanese combat art, the second being the Oriental Adventures' skill.

*Stares at you, walks off*

BWR
2014-01-04, 06:40 PM
Actually, Iaijutsu is the name of the skill Iaijutsu Focus is (very badly) based off of from L5R.

D4rkh0rus
2014-01-04, 06:56 PM
Actually, Iaijutsu is the name of the skill Iaijutsu Focus is (very badly) based off of from L5R.

I see, I don't use, nor have been in any campaigns that use L5R stuff. Meh.

also, Gamereaper,

You don't get to auto flat foot people when you draw your weapon? (unless its part of the L5R Iaijutsu).
You would need different methods, Two that come to mind are Grease and Invisibility (I believe rules compendium clarifies that if you attack while invisible you treat the enemy as flat footed. Greater invisibility says hi.

Also, I believe there is no such feat as one that flat foots people. Many that deny Dex to AC, but none that reliably Flatfoot for a full round action.

Kennisiou
2014-01-04, 07:30 PM
Gnomish quickrazor is the standard way of accomplishing it. Generally you grab factotum levels since iaijutsu focus is a class skill for them and with 8 levels you can take multiple standard actions, letting you get multiple iaijutsu procs in a single turn more easily, as well as letting you get extra move actions so you can move and still full attack.

The other well-known way to handle getting multiple Iaijutsu Focus procs in a turn is to go with a build that repeatedly draws multiple weapons for each individual attack. Like the well-known katana chucker build. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134276&highlight=master+thrower+katana)