PDA

View Full Version : Touch spells

Max Caysey
2014-01-04, 06:35 PM
Hellow guys and happy new years...

I was reading up on some rules and found on WotC "Rules of the Game"...

"If the caster does not touch a recipient then (either because she doesn't try to or the melee touch attack fails), she must use an action (usually the attack or full attack action) to touch a recipient during a later round. This is called "holding the charge." A caster holding a charge is considered armed and can use an attack of opportunity to make a melee touch attack and deliver the spell."

So if I miss my touch attack, my spell is still active in/on my hand/finger and I can try again, as many times as I have attacks in a round? And again in the next round, if I miss all my attemts?

sideswipe
2014-01-04, 06:38 PM
Hellow guys and happy new years...

I was reading up on some rules and found on WotC "Rules of the Game"...

"If the caster does not touch a recipient then (either because she doesn't try to or the melee touch attack fails), she must use an action (usually the attack or full attack action) to touch a recipient during a later round. This is called "holding the charge." A caster holding a charge is considered armed and can use an attack of opportunity to make a melee touch attack and deliver the spell."

So if I miss my touch attack, my spell is still active in/on my hand/finger and I can try again, as many times as I have attacks in a round? And again in the next round, if I miss all my attemts?

Yes. the last command for the spell to be successfully cast is to touch an opponent.
if during this time you take damage, or something that would break your concentration you have to make a concentration check or lose the spell.

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-04, 08:06 PM
Note that the spell goes off with your first successful touch. Making a full-attack doesn't let you hit multiple people with a spell that only affects one target (although a spell that does give you multiple touches, such as Chill Touch, will let you use a charge with each attack you make).

DarkSonic1337
2014-01-04, 09:36 PM
(although a spell that does give you multiple touches, such as Chill Touch, will let you use a charge with each attack you make).

Speaking of which...I really wish there were more spells like this. 3.5 has a whopping SEVEN touch spells that give multiple touches (Eight if you count produce flame).

Chill Touch
Corrosive Grasp
Handfire
Parching Touch
Storm Touch
Scalding Touch
Touch of the Graveborn

That's it Q_Q. If anybody can find anymore spells that offer multiple touches (or spells that give you access to a cool touch attack, like produce flame) please let me know. I'm quite fond of Pathfinder's Frostbite, Calcific Touch (though it's definitely too strong), and Elemental Touch (even though this isn't a touch spell).

Khedrac
2014-01-05, 03:18 AM
Casting the spell and making a touch attempt is a standard action, therefore if you miss you cannot attempt any more touches in the same round.
The next round if your first touch attempt misses you can then make iterative attempts (plus a haste attack if applicable) to touch your target. Like all iterative attacks your attack bonus will be reduced for the subsequent attacks.

Note really read "misses" as "does not discharge the spell" - iirc there are a few touch spells out there that you can use against several targets.

Xuldarinar
2014-01-05, 11:29 AM
Speaking of which...I really wish there were more spells like this. 3.5 has a whopping SEVEN touch spells that give multiple touches (Eight if you count produce flame).

Chill Touch
Corrosive Grasp
Handfire
Parching Touch
Storm Touch
Scalding Touch
Touch of the Graveborn

That's it Q_Q. If anybody can find anymore spells that offer multiple touches (or spells that give you access to a cool touch attack, like produce flame) please let me know. I'm quite fond of Pathfinder's Frostbite, Calcific Touch (though it's definitely too strong), and Elemental Touch (even though this isn't a touch spell).

Umbral Touch, though is a mystery, falls into this. 5d6 damage with a duration of 1 minute/level (2 minutes/level when used with extend mystery), each successful touch attack reducing by 1 minute.

Suddenly I want to see a Gestalt Shadowcaster Monk..

Greenish
2014-01-05, 11:36 AM
So if I miss my touch attack, my spell is still active in/on my hand/finger and I can try again, as many times as I have attacks in a round?Not unless you cast the touch spell as a swift action. Making a full attack is a full round action, so assuming you spent a standard action to cast the spell (which grants you the free attempt to touch the target), you don't have actions left to full attack the target.

And again in the next round, if I miss all my attemts?Yes, on the next round you can take a full attack to try to touch someone. You can even attempt to touch someone once, and then, if you hit, decide against full attacking (because full attacks are funky that way), sparing your move action.