PDA

View Full Version : All Dms/Gms/St come here.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-04, 06:50 PM
Hello fellow DMs I created this thread for the sole purpose of Dms coming together and discussing problems in there game/
need help for your game because your running out of ideas/
Just want to help other Dms with there games and getting together with other dms to do a duel dm-ship.

I will later move this thread to a more suitable tread I have it here because people view here more.

Feel free to post the more the better. Except for the players. :smallbiggrin:

Information about yourself
This helps us
Example
(1)DM name/Nickname
Elysian Blade
(2)How often do you post
Daily to everyother day
(3)What types of games do you run?
D20 modern/3.5 Dnd/ Pathfinder
(4)Do you need help/ want to give help/ or to discuss ideas
I for giving help and discussing ideas.
(5)Extra stuff
I tend to try to give the players I work with a 40% survival rate so thats more then fair in my mind

Daily information
This section is for Dms with suggestions or and idea that useful in dming.

This thread is a work in progress if you want to help just say so.

¥Means updating thread

Princess Tari
2014-01-04, 07:14 PM
DM name
Princess Tari
What types of games do you run?
pathfinder/ 3.5
Extra stuff
I ran only a game or two if that counts as being a dm:smallconfused:

This might help my dming skills in the future I hope. :smallsmile:

Elysian Blade
2014-01-04, 07:20 PM
I ran only a game or two if that counts as being a dm:smallconfused:

This might help my dming skills in the future I hope. :smallsmile:

A game still makes you a dm and this thread should help your skills.

Zalphon
2014-01-04, 07:27 PM
DM Name: Zalphon

What Types of Games Do I Run: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e, Pathfinder, Star Wars: Saga Edition.

Extra Stuff: I have moderate amounts of experience in the role of a Dungeon Master. When I should assume such a role, I try to tailor to the interests of the players--however, my world is living and breathing. The cave rumored to have an infestation of Kobolds could have a Black Wyrm in the depths of it.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-04, 07:31 PM
DM Name: Zalphon

What Types of Games Do I Run: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e, Pathfinder, Star Wars: Saga Edition.

Extra Stuff: I have moderate amounts of experience in the role of a Dungeon Master. When I should assume such a role, I try to tailor to the interests of the players--however, my world is living and breathing. The cave rumored to have an infestation of Kobolds could have a Black Wyrm in the depths of it.

I like it. Did you come for help to give help or talk about ideas.¥

Zalphon
2014-01-04, 07:37 PM
I can do whatever is needed. If people wish for my advice, then I will gladly offer my assistance. And as for ideas, I do have a few I have been mulling over that I'd be happy to share.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-04, 07:41 PM
I can do whatever is needed. If people wish for my advice, then I will gladly offer my assistance. And as for ideas, I do have a few I have been mulling over that I'd be happy to share.

Interested do tell.

ArcturusV
2014-01-04, 07:46 PM
DM Name:

ArcturusV, Old Man Arc, that senile fool.

How Often Do I Post:

Fairly regularly on a daily with few exceptions basis.

What types of games do you run:

Right now I'm running well... every 40k RPG except Deathwatch, but I've also run quite a bit of RIFTS, Robotech, and DnD Basic, Second Edition, Third Edition, and Fourth in my day.

Do I need help?

Not at the moment. Though I'm happy to kick around ideas with people if they need any.

Extra Stuff:

... asking my opinion on something mechanical/encounter wise is generally probably the least helpful I can be. I'm not a heavy optimizer by any real metric. Similarly I don't "kid gloves" people at all. If something happens, it happens. If characters die, they die. I believe in Risk vs Reward, if there is no risk, no challenge, no chance of failure, then there is no reward in victory over the odds.

Similarly I tend to play "low level" stuff a lot when it comes to things like DnD so if you're asking me about hooks and such for your level 40 gestalt, free LA +30, etc, game I'll probably just stare at you blankly and say "... retire the characters and start over in the same setting with level 1 PCs?"

Elysian Blade
2014-01-04, 07:49 PM
DM Name:

ArcturusV, Old Man Arc, that senile fool.

How Often Do I Post:

Fairly regularly on a daily with few exceptions basis.

What types of games do you run:

Right now I'm running well... every 40k RPG except Deathwatch, but I've also run quite a bit of RIFTS, Robotech, and DnD Basic, Second Edition, Third Edition, and Fourth in my day.

Do I need help?

Not at the moment. Though I'm happy to kick around ideas with people if they need any.

Extra Stuff:

... asking my opinion on something mechanical/encounter wise is generally probably the least helpful I can be. I'm not a heavy optimizer by any real metric. Similarly I don't "kid gloves" people at all. If something happens, it happens. If characters die, they die. I believe in Risk vs Reward, if there is no risk, no challenge, no chance of failure, then there is no reward in victory over the odds.

Similarly I tend to play "low level" stuff a lot when it comes to things like DnD so if you're asking me about hooks and such for your level 40 gestalt, free LA +30, etc, game I'll probably just stare at you blankly and say "... retire the characters and start over in the same setting with level 1 PCs?"

Nice I also like what you do about the kids gloves when the first npc hit one of my pc and it was a crit and he died I was a little sad since it just started but now I dont feel that way. ¥

Zalphon
2014-01-04, 07:57 PM
The Council of Wyrms

My most recent campaign died early on--due to external issues. The Council of Wyrms. It revolved around a group of Great Wyrm Dragons who have plotted for centuries how to manipulate the world into their hands. Each of them had wormed their way into positions of great influence.

The players would slowly be introduced to this knowledge as they unraveled the information by eliminating monsters who's chieftains and leaders all seemed to hold orders from someone identified only as S. As well as mentions of the Master.

It would be revealed that S was a young dragon and a low-ranking officer in the Council's Army. They would eventually meet S and combat him--discovering a portal in his lair.

The story would focus on their quest to combat the Council. Two of the players were actually time-lost heroes who had fought them thousands of years prior. The rest were people who were simply in the right place at the right time.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-04, 08:00 PM
The Council of Wyrms

My most recent campaign died early on--due to external issues. The Council of Wyrms. It revolved around a group of Great Wyrm Dragons who have plotted for centuries how to manipulate the world into their hands. Each of them had wormed their way into positions of great influence.

The players would slowly be introduced to this knowledge as they unraveled the information by eliminating monsters who's chieftains and leaders all seemed to hold orders from someone identified only as S. As well as mentions of the Master.

It would be revealed that S was a young dragon and a low-ranking officer in the Council's Army. They would eventually meet S and combat him--discovering a portal in his lair.

The story would focus on their quest to combat the Council. Two of the players were actually time-lost heroes who had fought them thousands of years prior. The rest were people who were simply in the right place at the right time.

I like where you were going as boss to boss for the plot here dont see that to much in newer games.

Zalphon
2014-01-04, 08:01 PM
I like where you were going as boss to boss for the plot here dont see that to much in newer games.

The Council of Wyrms was supposed to be 1-20+.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-04, 08:05 PM
The Council of Wyrms was supposed to be 1-20+.

I thought so I like games like that shows character developement.

Zalphon
2014-01-04, 08:09 PM

As do I, but it fizzled out at Level 2. Everyone went at each other's throats...

Elysian Blade
2014-01-04, 08:12 PM
As do I, but it fizzled out at Level 2. Everyone went at each other's throats...

So dm won by forfit :smallbiggrin:
But yeah starting low level games die quickly I noticed unless dms have a npc in the party or making sure you have monsters come after them every other second.

Zalphon
2014-01-04, 08:22 PM
Wasn't that. We had a blast at it. But the group fell apart and everyone grew to hate each other due to OOC events.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-04, 08:26 PM
Wasn't that. We had a blast at it. But the group fell apart and everyone grew to hate each other due to OOC events.

Maybe we should make big 16 to big 17 to inculde

(17) Do you play well with others if not how do you play?

Zalphon
2014-01-04, 08:35 PM
*Chuckles* I'd be interested in running another campaign, if I had enough players. Likely 4-5.

ArlEammon
2014-01-04, 11:00 PM
This helps us
Example
(1)DM name/Nickname
DarthArminius
(2)How often do you post
Every other day
Mostly Free Form
Yes. The holidays have put a cramp in my Gming, and I have to slow down in them for a little while.
(5)Extra stuff

Elysian Blade
2014-01-05, 03:33 PM
Yes.

With what do you need help with? :smallconfused:

Zalphon you can make a recruiting thread and we'll check it out.

side note
I realized as dms we rarely would use monsters such as rust monsters and slimes there weak but good for destroying equipment. ¥

Zman
2014-01-05, 04:05 PM
(1)DM name/Nickname
Zman
(2)How often do you post
Multiple time daily
Currently an extended playtest of 3.5 using my E10 Variant and Overhaul, have run 3.5, 2nd Edition, Star Wars RCR, Star Wars Saga, Dresden Files RPG, and a short run of Heroes
I'm more than happy to help out. I've run some very successful games.
(5)Extra stuff
I feel players shouldn't be allowed to break the game, and if something lets them, I revoke said privilege. Just because it was printed RAW, doesn't mean it can be used. I dislike entitled players who think breaking the game over their knees is fun. I believe RPGs are a cooperative endeavor and all should strive for a successful and enjoyable experience.

DrK
2014-01-05, 04:09 PM
DM Name: DrK

What Types of Games Do I Run: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e, Pathfinder, 40K Games

A question for GMs!: How do other people do combat maps? At the moment I port captured .pngs from an adventure path into Maptools and then screen grab them into imageshack.

How do other people do it?

Lentrax
2014-01-05, 04:10 PM
(1)DM name/Nickname
Lentrax
(2)How often do you post
Fairly often, at least once a day in one of my games...
D20 modern/3.5/SWSE
I can help in any way I can. I have some experience with running a lot and am definitely willing to help out anyone who asks.
(5)Extra stuff
I have some experience in crafting homebrew. If anyone has questions about how/where/when to create something new, just send 'em my way.

Games I am running/have ran/want to restart:

Mass Effect: Scars (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292585)

Pirates of the Aether (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249443)

Echoes of the Past (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317961)

Warriors of Arret (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322360)

jedipotter
2014-01-05, 04:21 PM
(1)DM name/Nickname
Jedipotter
(2)How often do you post
Daily
3.5 Dnd/ Pathfinder/D&D 2E
I for giving help and discussing ideas.
(5)Extra stuff
I like to give characters a 0% survival rate...lol. I'm an Old School Unfair Killer DM. But a victory in my game is well earned. I don't use the soft ''gentleman's stuff'' that some gamers think of as ''the only way to play''.

ArlEammon
2014-01-05, 04:38 PM
With what do you need help with? :smallconfused:

Zalphon you can make a recruiting thread and we'll check it out.

side note
I realized as dms we rarely would use monsters such as rust monsters and slimes there weak but good for destroying equipment. ¥

It's updated.:D

ArcturusV
2014-01-05, 04:40 PM
DrK:

The map issue is a painful one. It's one of the problems I've had running campaigns over Skype recently as DnD (Any edition really, but I was running fourth) is very map based visual, dealing with area of effects, terrain, etc. Every combat round having someone play 20 questions with me over locations, or having to tell my players, "Umm... by my tracking you just ran into the river..." or something really did damage the game's progress.

Similarly I didn't like the MapTools option because while MapTools was perfectly fine for using maps it rewarded/demanded a "Railroad" style with no random encounters, because... at least for me... it took something like 4 hours to come up with a battle map for it that could have taken me 5 minutes with my set up at home.

The current thing I'm considering now is a quick and dirty paint map style for PbP games. Just take a blank hex grid and pencil in the terrain crude and quick, sort of like I'd do with a grease pencil at the table. It won't look as good as the MapTools stuff, but it has the benefit of taking me closer to that 5 minute mark if I was doing a Skype game and cutting down on the missed tracking confusion. And with crude and dirty maps like that it would be easy to control Visual Range/Knowledge by just progressively drawing in more as they come across it and posting it up.

It's something I've been considering quite a bit. Most RPGs I play are very map intensive. I haven't really found a good solution yet, but those are my ideas. I'm loathe to just use battlemaps ripped out of adventure modules, mostly because of the Metagame approach (A player recognizes the module and acts according to the module layout. If I don't change things they get an unfair advantage that makes no sense. if I DO change things I get accusations of DM Screw and cheating because I didn't like what they were doing... even if it was clearly marked in my notes as "I'm not using the standard layout, here's the real layout") and the additional research time it would take between sessions to find books with even halfway appropriate maps.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-05, 05:31 PM
It's updated.:D

I suggest adding a npc in your game to be able to touch the game more without clogging up the OOC also you can recruit 1-2 more players in your game to give it a fresh edge to it. But yes games tend to slow around holidays some more suggestions are to give the players 1-day after the holiday then redo a post and restate there current objective.

DrK
It seems ArcturusV gave you good information there are some websites online if you register you can make a quick grid for free if you find the correct sites.

I am glad people are showing interest in this thread.

Blood_caller
2014-01-05, 05:34 PM
(1)DM name/Nickname
BLOOD_CALLER
(2)How often do you post
4-15 times a week
Right now a single PF RL and a shadowrun RL
But I have run D&D 2ED + 3,5. GURPS, Call of Chtulhu. PF. ARTS MAGICA. Drager og Dæmoner, WoD (and all the big subs from there + quiet a few of the minors to) shadowrun. rift. battletech and a few other I can't remember right now.
Im here for giving help and discussing ideas.
(5)Extra stuff
Likes role play over roll play.

Zman
2014-01-05, 06:40 PM
DM Name: DrK

What Types of Games Do I Run: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e, Pathfinder, 40K Games

A question for GMs!: How do other people do combat maps? At the moment I port captured .pngs from an adventure path into Maptools and then screen grab them into imageshack.

How do other people do it?

I use Google Spreadsheet for PBP. Check the map in my Signature for an example. Early stages of a low level Ogre fight. Or at least it is currently, it'll change as the combat continues.

Elysian Blade
2014-01-10, 08:55 PM
Not to sink into obilvion...