PDA

View Full Version : Need help for Int-based martial character!

Bickerstaff
2014-01-04, 08:49 PM
So, I need to make a character for a Pathfinder campaign (the DM is allowing some 3.5 material), and I've gotten tired of seeing the same types of characters over and over, so I'm going to attempt an Int-based martial-type character!

So far, I'm thinking the base (not that I'm starting at level 20) will be something like:

Master of Many Styles Monk 2/Lore Warden Fighter 7/Student of War 4/Lore Warden Fighter 14

The Master of Many Styles is to grab the first two Kirin Style feats early (without waiting for pre-reqs), Lore Warden is self-explanatory, as-is the Student of War. The DM has also allowed Knowledge Devotion. I could throw some Warblade in there, but I'm in a fairly low-op group so I'd rather avoid anything with maneuvers.
And I have no idea what feats to take past the Kirin Style feats, Knowledge Devotion, and pre-reqs for Student of War, and maybe the Moonlight Stalker feats (and go full Batman :smallbiggrin:).

I'm fairly certain that the bonuses stack for the most part (I think I have to make sure not to use the offensive bonus from Student of War as the bonus clashes with Knowledge Devotion), and I don't think any of them specify melee or ranged attacks for the bonuses, so I think I should be fine at either.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea for feats or other classes I should look at?

Edit- Now looking at: Lore Warden Fighter 7/Master of Many Styles 2/Student of War 2/Factotum 4/Student of War 7

Darth Stabber
2014-01-04, 11:04 PM
I would just go straight warblade, maybe dip barbarian 2 (for pounce, whirling frenzy, and improved trip via acts) or factotum 2-4. warblade gives you plenty of good bonuses for int, and is a great class 1-20, yet it is very friendly for both taking dips and being a dip.

Deaxsa
2014-01-04, 11:06 PM
i've always wanted to play this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186681). could be int-based, and seems very interesting. run it by your DM.

Bickerstaff
2014-01-04, 11:43 PM
I would just go straight warblade, maybe dip barbarian 2 (for pounce, whirling frenzy, and improved trip via acts) or factotum 2-4. warblade gives you plenty of good bonuses for int, and is a great class 1-20, yet it is very friendly for both taking dips and being a dip.

Those all look like interesting options! I might look further into Warblade, but I'd like to keep away from maneuvers. I know they're good and all, but I feel like it's too much for the group I play with. And I had completely forgotten about Factotum! That's more what I'm looking for, something that's a good dip for a few levels.

i've always wanted to play this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186681). could be int-based, and seems very interesting. run it by your DM.

I'll have to take a more in-depth look at the Marshal homebrew, but what I skimmed over looked neat. I'll have to ask my DM about it!

Hytheter
2014-01-05, 12:15 AM
Kirin Style, Student of War and Lore Warden all have a similar ability but none of them seem to work together. All three only grant their bonuses when you make a knowledge check using that feat. That means using a Swift Action to use Kirin Style wouldn't get you the bonuses from Lore Warden's Know Thy Enemy or Student of War's Know Thy Enemy. To get the bonuses from all three, you'd have to use a Swift Action for Kirin, a Move Action for SoW and a Standard Action for the Warden, making three separate knowledge checks. That's entire round just looking at the enemy. If you think that's worth it though, go for it; the bonuses do stack.

Knowledge Devotion doesn't stack with Student of War's Martial Stance, as both provide an insight bonus. If you use both you'll want to stick to the Defensive or Tactical stances.
Devotion also requires yet another knowledge check to be made...

Bickerstaff
2014-01-05, 12:31 AM
Kirin Style, Student of War and Lore Warden all have a similar ability but none of them seem to work together. All three only grant their bonuses when you make a knowledge check using that feat. That means using a Swift Action to use Kirin Style wouldn't get you the bonuses from Lore Warden's Know Thy Enemy or Student of War's Know Thy Enemy. To get the bonuses from all three, you'd have to use a Swift Action for Kirin, a Move Action for SoW and a Standard Action for the Warden, making three separate knowledge checks. That's entire round just looking at the enemy. If you think that's worth it though, go for it; the bonuses do stack.

Knowledge Devotion doesn't stack with Student of War's Martial Stance, as both provide an insight bonus. If you use both you'll want to stick to the Defensive or Tactical stances.
Devotion also requires yet another knowledge check to be made...

I'm aware of and fine with the fact I need to spend a round making knowledge checks, and that the Martial Stance doesn't stack with knowledge devotion. I plan on being stealthy most of the time when a fight starts, and/or initiating a surprise round, so it should work out.

As far as I'm aware, the knowledge check from Knowledge Devotion doesn't take an action, since it is part of a normal knowledge check (which is a non-action). If it does... I'll be very sad.

The build is not meant to be super powerful or anything, since my playgroup is low-op on the whole (and optimized characters can make things boring for others if everyone is not on the same level of optimization). I feel like I should emphasize this further :smallbiggrin: .

The Grue
2014-01-05, 12:48 AM
So, I need to make a character for a Pathfinder campaign (the DM is allowing some 3.5 material), and I've gotten tired of seeing the same types of characters over and over, so I'm going to attempt an Int-based martial-type character!

So far, I'm thinking the base (not that I'm starting at level 20) will be something like:

Master of Many Styles Monk 2/Lore Warden Fighter 7/Student of War 4/Lore Warden Fighter 7

Er...how did you take Lore Warden Fighter 7 twice? Or did you mean Lore Warden 14?

Bickerstaff
2014-01-05, 12:56 AM
Er...how did you take Lore Warden Fighter 7 twice? Or did you mean Lore Warden 14?

:smalleek:

...that is exactly what I meant.

Gonna go edit that real quick Fixed.