PDA

View Full Version : To be...A Ninja!

Alroy_Kamenwati
2014-01-04, 10:04 PM
Hello the playground I'm currently working on a ninja character using the Rokugan ninja as it's base. The character is a mix between an middle eastern hashashin and the Japanese ninja. I'm just looking for suggestions, no particular build. List feats, classes, etc to level 10 (expected end time). Use only 3.5 with the exception of Oriental Adventures (which I think is 3.0).

Also the stat array I have is: 18, 16, 14, 11, 11, 10.

Thanks for the help :)

EDIT: I really love the Dread Commando (the name alone is badass) and if there was a way to incorporate that into the build that would be cool too.

Muktidata
2014-01-04, 10:13 PM
I really like RKG Ninja in conjunction with this class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050407b&page=6). It's the perfect entry class. They both give initiative bonuses, sneak attack and sudden strike, and the commando lets you sneak around in armor. That means that you're a stealthy tank that always acts first if you're spotted, and always acts first if you're not spotted as well.

Alroy_Kamenwati
2014-01-04, 10:18 PM
I really like RKG Ninja in conjunction with this class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050407b&page=6). It's the perfect entry class. They both give initiative bonuses, sneak attack and sudden strike, and the commando lets you sneak around in armor. That means that you're a stealthy tank that always acts first if you're spotted, and always acts first if you're not spotted as well.

Dude this prc is sweet, I've never heard of it but it seems like a must have for this build, unless someone else comes up with something better (and cooler sounding!)

Muktidata
2014-01-04, 10:34 PM
I'm sure the writers of Heroes of Battle never had Rokugan Ninjas in mind when they made Dread Commando, but those two classes fit together so perfectly well it really makes you wonder.

For races it's hard to beat Whisper Gnomes (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a&page=3). +1 to hit and AC, +9 to Hide and Move Silently, +1 to Fort saves and HP/Level, Low-light Vision, Darkvision, +2 Spot and Listen, 30ft. movement, and handful of super useful SLA's if you can keep your Charisma at 10. Even if you can't you get to Silence yourself once a day.

As for feats, it really depends on what you want to do. Darkstalker is good, obviously. Weapon Finesse and Martial Study [Shadow Hand Maneuver]/Martial Stance [Shadow Hand Stance] and Shadowblade might be a good idea.

Sir Chuckles
2014-01-04, 11:07 PM
Ninja-Spy (http://dndtools.eu/classes/ninja-spy/) 3/Exemplar 1

Why?
Hide in Plain Sight + Exemplar's Skill Mastery= Take 10 on Hide/Move Silently at all times.
Ninja-Spy 3 also nets you a +10 to Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble, that increases to +20 at Lv7. It also has good saves.
+10 on Jump and Tumble will never be a bad thing.

Muktidata
2014-01-05, 12:34 PM
Chuck, they get HiPS at level 4 and you have to be level 7 to enter the class. The OP said stop the build at level 10. That means no bueno, si?

infomatic
2014-01-05, 12:43 PM
Ninja Spy is also OA (though that has been updated to 3.5, in a Dragon issue, by OA author James Wyatt, so it may be kosher w/your DM).

Muktidata
2014-01-05, 01:06 PM
Info, unupdated 3.0 is 3.5-legal. Also, the OP states that OA is specifically allowed.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-05, 01:15 PM
Have you thought about actual swordsage levels?

Alroy_Kamenwati
2014-01-05, 06:49 PM
I would think about it, but the a.c. bonus is all I saw, but dread commando gives you easier access with armor and the bab of swordsman would ruin asap entry into dread commando. Maneuvers are nice early, I thought about warblade for early maneuvers and it would go with the full bab AND give me armor. Thoughts?

Psyren
2014-01-05, 10:52 PM
Info, unupdated 3.0 is 3.5-legal. Also, the OP states that OA is specifically allowed.

That's what he was saying - OA was updated.

Muktidata
2014-01-05, 11:59 PM
That's what he was saying - OA was updated.

I completely and utterly misread his post to say something more along the lines of "Ninja Spy is in OA (which is not 3.5, something dragon magazine, james wyatt, so it may not be kosher with your dm)."

I'm.. not sure how that happened.

Kennisiou
2014-01-06, 12:10 AM
Swordsage for maneuvers is great as a dip for ninja-type builds. If you dip one swordsage level at level nine you can immediately learn third-level stances/maneuvers. Using this you can learn Assassin stance (arguably the best shadow hand stance) and qualify for the feat Shadow Blade by nature of knowing a single shadow hand stance. This feat lets you add your dexterity to damage as long as you're wielding a shadow hand weapon (short sword, dagger, kukri, spiked chain, and punching dagger are the weapons off the top of my head) and in a shadow hand stance. Add that assassin stance is +2d6 sneak attack damage in a single stance and it's just, like, basically the single best level you can take on sneaky dexterity type builds.

But yeah, when looking at maneuver based classes, don't look at the class features. It's like looking at cleric and saying they don't seem like a worthwhile class because it only gets turn undead as a class feature. The thing that makes maneuver users good is their maneuver access, and swordsage having access to shadow hand maneuvers makes them excellent archetypal ninjas.