PDA

View Full Version : Low level super attack sacrifice?

metabolicjosh
2014-01-04, 10:36 PM
Is there any way to make a character under level 8 that can use a super strong save the day ability that costs his life, or something significant?

TroubleBrewing
2014-01-04, 10:49 PM
There's a template in the DCS that gets a retributive strike. It gets free sorcerer casting, I think. There's a sorcerer spell out of SC that gives a retributive strike when the target dies.

That's all I've got in terms of self-destruct attacks.

sideswipe
2014-01-04, 10:50 PM
at level 3 you can afford a necklace of fireballs. if they are within an area of fire damage i believe you or the item makes a save or they all go off.

so level 3 buys a necklace. i think they can get the one with 5 fireballs on.

they pour some alchemists fire on the necklace and shake it about and BOOM! 1 x 6d6, 2 x 4d6, and 2 x 2d6 fireballs all go off at the same time. producing 18-108 damage (average 53 damage) in a single 30 foot area in a single turn. and naturally you are incinerated as your level 3.
though a op tank could survive.

there is almost no character or monster of CR 3 with over 50 hp.

TroubleBrewing
2014-01-04, 11:02 PM
At level 3, you have 2700 gp, and the lowest level necklace of fireballs is 1650, so you couldn't afford one until level 4. Also, the lowest-level necklace contains a 5d6 and a 3d6 fireball. Average damage is 28.

Also, if you have UMD and buy a scroll of Protection from Energy (375 gp, so it's actually within your price range), any character could survive this.

sideswipe
2014-01-04, 11:24 PM
At level 3, you have 2700 gp, and the lowest level necklace of fireballs is 1650, so you couldn't afford one until level 4. Also, the lowest-level necklace contains a 5d6 and a 3d6 fireball. Average damage is 28.

Also, if you have UMD and buy a scroll of Protection from Energy (375 gp, so it's actually within your price range), any character could survive this.

the necklace of fireballs 2 is 2700g.

you are referring to the non rule guideline of no more than 50% of a characters wealth being in one item. again this is a guideline for DM's not a rule.

also the lower one contains 2 x 3d6 fireballs.

so my point still stands. it is entirely feasable and honestly not much would survive it even in a low end blast of around 30 damage. without expensive magical help already prepared and waiting.

metabolicjosh
2014-01-04, 11:36 PM
Are there any feat and spell combos or anything? like a mini Locate City Bomb?

sideswipe
2014-01-04, 11:49 PM
there is a combination of things my dm was telling me the other day. its from the tome of battle. i have never looked at the book myself as i have not wanted to play the classes.

but you wanted a big kill everything combo.

There is a feat/ ability that means when you roll a 1 for damage you re-roll the dice.
There is another feat/ ability that says when you roll max damage roll another dice.
I believe he said it was a crusader combo possibly warblade.

now you use a D2 weapon of your choice either a whip, a tiny dagger etc.

you, on a successful strike, deal infinite damage. and this is a low level combo, perhaps level 1.

the DM then says a meteor hits your character as its broken.

so you kill something in a single small prick from a pin and it explodes. then your character dies :)

metabolicjosh
2014-01-05, 12:07 AM
I have heard of that one xD but no i dont think thats quite my idea. x)

I was thinking more along the lines of a gritty epicness.

In 4e i had a nearly unkillable revanant dwarf, Well when we came to fight the final boss, everyone was really badly injured. My dwarf had 10 gallons of Dwaven Ale on him. Each one was a explosive (or tasty drink) around 2d4 damage in a 20 ft blast.

I grab the boss while he is floating and pushed my torch into my pack.

See Epic stuff. Anything like that that i can do?