PDA

View Full Version : PC Manipulation and World Domination

Witch_Hunter
2014-01-04, 11:41 PM
In the campaign that I'm running the PCs [a ranger, a fighter, a rogue, a cleric and a sorcerer] have been chosen as the agents of the gods and have accepted. The only thing is that they are being misled and the god they are serving isn't being entirely honest with them. They are under the impression that they are promoting the greater good and doing the will of the gods, In reality they are helping to kick out the tent poles that keep everything running so smoothly and helping a non-evil but very chaotic god to plunge a world into chaos so that it is ripe for the taking.

My questions are:
1.) How would you feel as a player when you eventually learned that the campaign you've been playing had your PC unwittingly being a bad guy?
2.) How would you recommend going about plunging a world into chaos and bringing it to its knees? All without the PCs and players realizing that they're doing so?
3.) I really would like the PCs to see this to the end and then have the choice to let it happen or fight against it, is it wrong to not give them a choice before then? I know I should plan for the worst and I'm prepared to do so, especially if the players figure it out early and want to rebel.
4.) Any thoughts on PC [and by extension Player] manipulation?
5.) Any other advice or ideas for the campaign?

Thanks!

MonochromeTiger
2014-01-05, 12:07 AM
My questions are:
1.) How would you feel as a player when you eventually learned that the campaign you've been playing had your PC unwittingly being a bad guy?

personally unsurprised but I can see where some might find it aggravating to hear they aren't the shining champions of niceness that they made their characters to be, or possibly annoyed that everything they've done is the result of manipulation.

2.) How would you recommend going about plunging a world into chaos and bringing it to its knees? All without the PCs and players realizing that they're doing so?

you said the god in question is non-evil but chaotic? target lawful evil and lawful neutral (but leaning towards evil) societies to send the players after, because what can be more good than fanatically wiping out anything remotely evil right? that can never cause anything bad right? wrong. by taking out multiple sources of lawful society and handing the lands over to the (clearly good and in no means chaotic neutral but undetectable alignment anyway...in case of evil travelers promise) clerics of their manipulator they unwittingly aid in the spread of chaotic aligned society across a large portion of the world. as long as the people of the defeated civilizations are remotely capable of putting up a front of lawfulness to visitors or at least pretend to be working towards it when the PCs look around, they won't notice the results of their work until the deity in question reveals his or her or its plan.

3.) I really would like the PCs to see this to the end and then have the choice to let it happen or fight against it, is it wrong to not give them a choice before then? I know I should plan for the worst and I'm prepared to do so, especially if the players figure it out early and want to rebel.

generally attempting to manipulate your PCs means if you get caught in the act you had better be prepared for them to say "enough is enough" and tear down your story plan. and they would have every right as it isn't the one they were presented but one handled behind their backs until they went out of their way to find details on what was really going on. in other words...yes it's wrong not to offer them a choice throughout the entirety of the campaign to disagree with and question or even stop what's being done.

4.) Any thoughts on PC [and by extension Player] manipulation?

my thoughts on question one cover my thoughts on this, sometimes it's accepted, sometimes it's seen with outrage, it depends on the players and how they individually react. you may want to try and find out if they're open to a bit of DM made subterfuge before throwing them into the deep end and hoping your group comes out with no nerves stepped on or feelings hurt.

5.) Any other advice or ideas for the campaign?

Thanks!

despite what I'm about to suggest being cliched beyond all belief I wouldn't be a routinely evil player if I didn't say it. evil god of secrets and manipulations..that's all.