PDA

View Full Version : Rinullithime Template: Vestiges instead of Casting [D&D 3.5]

Kazyan
2014-01-05, 01:26 AM
A rinullithime is the husk of an outsider whose soul has been detached from the physical substance that composes their body. Normally, an outsider's body and soul are one, but under extreme circumstances, a corporeal shell can be left behind in a separation process. If the soul is later destroyed, the body can potentially animate again under the independent power of the plane-stuff that composes it.

Rinullithimes, as individuals, are not that much weaker than their previous forms, but they definitely feel that way. Though they have something that responds to true resurrection, they do not have true souls, and as such, they burn for something to occupy their bodies--so whatever magical power they had beforehand is turned to soul binding.

Physically, rinullithimes look the same as their old forms, but washed out to solid white--like a painted clay model, with light grayness in the places where distinctive colors would otherwise be.

Creating a Rinullithime

Rinullithime is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal non-native outsider, referred to hereafter as the base creature. It retains all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Type: Unchanged, but if they had an alignment subtype, that subtype is replaced with [Neutral]. This works like other alignment subtypes, and the rinullithime's natural weapons bypass damage reduction as if they were neutral-aligned.

Innate Soul Binding (Su): If the base creature is capable of spellcasting as a racial feature, they can instead bind vestiges in place of spellcasting, where their effective binder level is equal to what their racial spellcaster level would otherwise be. For example, a Rinullithime Planetar can bind three vestiges of up to 8th level, as a 17th level Binder. They do not gain any other abilities of the Binder class--so they cannot suppress signs. However, if they later take levels in Binder, levels in the class stack to determine effective binder level and the number of vestiges that can be bound at one time.

Vestigial Soul (Ex): A rinullithime does not have a true soul, so effects that interact with their soul simply fail to do so, with the exception of true resurrection and binding vestiges.

Abilities: -2 to Wisdom, +4 to Charisma.

Skills: Rinullithimes gain a +4 bonus to Intimidate and Knowledge (The Planes) checks, due to their association with vestiges.

Alignment: Always one step closer to neutral than the base creature.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1, -1 per three levels of racial spellcasting converted.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +1, unless the base creature had racial spellcasting, in which case, same as the base creature +0.

Allnightmask
2014-01-06, 01:21 AM
Nice to see some more support for vestiges, the fluff is pretty solid. I enjoy that they become more pale and less strongly aligned and I am a bit interested how you came up with that name. I also found that line in the challenge rating took into account the hit that many outsiders would take in losing their casting, good thinking. Can't make many more observations that are even needed.

Kazyan
2014-01-06, 01:50 AM
Nice to see some more support for vestiges, the fluff is pretty solid. I enjoy that they become more pale and less strongly aligned and I am a bit interested how you came up with that name. I also found that line in the challenge rating took into account the hit that many outsiders would take in losing their casting, good thinking. Can't make many more observations that are even needed.

Thanks. Regarding the name, I just ran the root word "null" through the part of my brain that puts nonsense words together.