PDA

View Full Version : Crawling Eye/Disembodied Hand Questions

Gamereaper
2014-01-05, 03:13 AM
Ok, so I have a few clever ideas for usage on these.

How many of these applications are legal?

1) Have my Crawling Eye stand on my Disembodied Hand, which in a way can put me in 2 places at once should the need to split up or go somewhere I can't.

2) Shoot my Eldritch Blast or a spell through my Disembodied Hand, when I can be around the corner 300' down the hallway out of danger.

3) Wear a pair of long gloves and use Disembodied Hand to keep hand close. I can use hand as a normal hand, reattach it as a free or swift action since it's right there.

4) I see a room with so many explosive rune traps that walking into it is certain death. I use Disembodied Hand, make it grab a stick, I throw said stick from cover, explosive runes all explode from chain reaction, and everyone is safe.

5) I'm being shackled, I use Disembodied Hand. If I can use it on the other hand too, I reattach and use it on the other hand. Awesome, I'm out. What if I can't? How do I free myself and/or the rest of my party? I use Crawling Eye, which makes the secret lockpick I store in the eye cavity available for use. I pick myself and party free, abductors are none the wiser.

6) I don't have any food and I can't get any for whatever reason, so I use Disembodied Hand. I stab it with my knife and kill it. I now cook my hand and eat it to hold me over for the time being. If I need to do it again, I wait for it to regrow.

Any other clever applications I can use?

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-05, 05:15 AM
1 and 2 are exactly what those two are for.

3) Nnnnot quite. It's still an invocation and you still need a standard action to cast/dispel.

4) You're still losing your hand which will regrow in a couple of hours, but if nothing is available to trigger the traps (such as a summoned minion or a fooled Charmed dude) your hand does the trick.

Only one of your hands can be used for disembodied hand at any time; if your disembodied hand is destroyed, you can't use this invocation again until your hand regrows.
As I'm reading it you choose a hand and that's the hand you get to disembody but I'm never 100% sure.

5) AND YOU STICKED A LOCKPICK IN YOUR OWN EYE?! (tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EyeScream) I don't even think it fits but OUCH!

6) I am not sure in which situations you can cook your own hand but you can't get any food... if you're that desperate go kill something in the woods or in the sewers, you know? You have at least 4d6 EB damage, you can kill a rabbit.

As for good uses to give to it GO WILD ON THE PIANO, MAN! As a DM I'd give a good circumstance bonus to Performance (Piano) there...
For anything else just watch any Addams Family episode

EDIT:
You're dueling with someone, you disembody and use a bluff check to act as if they had cut it. Then get the hand to sneak away and do stuff to your enemy.

shadow_archmagi
2014-01-05, 10:41 AM
These are very clever!

My warlock friend was also very fond of using disembodied hand to pick pockets at range.

Gamereaper
2014-01-05, 11:31 AM
1 and 2 are exactly what those two are for.

3) Nnnnot quite. It's still an invocation and you still need a standard action to cast/dispel.

4) You're still losing your hand which will regrow in a couple of hours, but if nothing is available to trigger the traps (such as a summoned minion or a fooled Charmed dude) your hand does the trick.

As I'm reading it you choose a hand and that's the hand you get to disembody but I'm never 100% sure.

5) AND YOU STICKED A LOCKPICK IN YOUR OWN EYE?! (tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EyeScream) I don't even think it fits but OUCH!

6) I am not sure in which situations you can cook your own hand but you can't get any food... if you're that desperate go kill something in the woods or in the sewers, you know? You have at least 4d6 EB damage, you can kill a rabbit.

As for good uses to give to it GO WILD ON THE PIANO, MAN! As a DM I'd give a good circumstance bonus to Performance (Piano) there...
For anything else just watch any Addams Family episode

EDIT:
You're dueling with someone, you disembody and use a bluff check to act as if they had cut it. Then get the hand to sneak away and do stuff to your enemy.

For number 3, I figured it moving and reattaching as it says require 1 round. So I figure reattaching would be quicker.

For number 5, I got the idea from SAW where that guy had to poke his eye out because a key was behind it. So I thought maybe a modified lockpick would work.

For number 6, Would it work if I had NO other sources of food?

Dalebert
2014-01-05, 12:29 PM
For number 5, I got the idea from SAW where that guy had to poke his eye out because a key was behind it. So I thought maybe a modified lockpick would work.

What about the lockpicking ring in the MiC? As a bonus, it casts knock once a day.

Gamereaper
2014-01-05, 03:14 PM
What about the lockpicking ring in the MiC? As a bonus, it casts knock once a day.

Where is it from and what is it called, that sounds WAY better.

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-05, 03:16 PM
For number 6, Would it work if I had NO other sources of food?

Yeah totally! And it'd make for a pretty memorable scene, the guy who ate his hand 3 times a day for an entire week.

Dalebert
2014-01-05, 03:26 PM
Where is it from and what is it called, that sounds WAY better.

Uhm... it's called a lockpicking ring and it's in the MiC (Magic Item Compendium).

Gamereaper
2014-01-05, 03:33 PM
Uhm... it's called a lockpicking ring and it's in the MiC (Magic Item Compendium).

Oh ok, awesome. I don't understand shorthand for books.

As for the name, I thought it would have another name like "Thieves' ring" or something.