PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about the oracle, dozens of strips late.

TaRix
2014-01-05, 03:13 AM
Basically, it's about Roy's prophecy that both threw him off Azure City and towards Girard's Gate in the first place.

The oracle said that Xykon, the lich sorceror, would be within 1000 feet of Girard's Gate before being within 1000 feet of Kraagor's.

Except now, there is no Girard's Gate. Sure, the rift is still there, but the rift isn't the gate. Xykon never really showed up at the gate; his appearance was only Girard's illusion.

So, what's going on?

Did Team Evil teleport outside the pyramid moments before the Krakooooom (remaining undetected by Tarquin's army?)

Was the oracle also confused by the illusion?

Did the Future (tm) change between the prophecy and the explosion?

Or will Team Evil also not show up at Kraagor's?

Porthos
2014-01-05, 03:16 AM
Did Team Evil teleport outside the pyramid moments before the Krakooooom (remaining undetected by Tarquin's army?)

As per title of the strip: Prophcey Fulfilled (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0899.html). :smallsmile:

ETA::: Also, Tarquin's army hadn't shown up yet (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0910.html). :smallwink:

TaRix
2014-01-05, 03:19 AM
Of course. That's what I get for asking a question without backtrawling.

/em ducks flying rotten produce for clogging the forum.

Porthos
2014-01-05, 03:23 AM
Of course. That's what I get for asking a question without backtrawling.

/em ducks flying rotten produce for clogging the forum.

No worries, you just happened to miss a few comics. :smallsmile: There's been far worse threads/questions on this forum. :smalltongue: :smallwink:

Grey_Wolf_c
2014-01-05, 09:21 AM
Except now, there is no Girard's Gate. Sure, the rift is still there, but the rift isn't the gate.

No, but the explosion didn't convert the gate into nothingness. Plenty of fragments of gate were lying around, even if it might be undistinguishable from the sand around them. Most of those fragments were likely within 1000 ft. of where Xykon teleported to.

Besides, he got there just before the explosion (his pelvis was blasted off because of it) so even if the above doesn't convince you, he just needs to have teleported within 1000 ft. of the gate for the three seconds it was building up to explode.

(That's my interpretation, anyway. As Porthos pointed out, Word of Author indicates that the prophecy was fulfilled. The rest is bickering about the how).

Grey Wolf

malloyd
2014-01-05, 09:34 AM
Also, the question Roy got answered wasn't which gate Xykon would be closest to first, but which location.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-01-05, 09:41 AM
It looks like Team Evil teleported to Girard's Gate a few seconds before the gate was destroyed. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0899.html)

NerdyKris
2014-01-05, 10:34 AM
Also, the question Roy got answered wasn't which gate Xykon would be closest to first, but which location.

No. He stated

If the lich sorceror commonly referred to as Xykon will ever be, at some future point in time, within a 1000-foot radius of one of these two magical gates...

He mentions the gates specifically.

Also, Rich has stated in another thread that it fulfilled the prophecy by arriving a moment before the explosion, therefore there was still a gate. I can't find the quote, but it was in a thread discussing the plot reasons why Team Evil arrived when they did and left without facing the Order, if someone wants to search for it. I think part of the thread is linked in the Index of Comments.

veti
2014-01-05, 04:53 PM
Roy's full, stupid question is:

"If the lich sorceror commonly referred to as "Xykon" will ever be, at some future point in time, within a 1000-foot radius of one of these two magical gates, of which of those locations will he be within said radius of first, chronologically?"

So yes, he does mention the gates, but the subject of the actual question is the "location". The "gates" are mentioned in the 'if' clause, which will be satisifed if Xykon ever gets close to Kraagor's Gate while it's still intact.

Besides, I think he did turn up before the gate went kablooey. Maybe the same round. Bet Xykon was glad he won that initiative...

Keltest
2014-01-05, 05:03 PM

"If the lich sorceror commonly referred to as "Xykon" will ever be, at some future point in time, within a 1000-foot radius of one of these two magical gates, of which of those locations will he be within said radius of first, chronologically?"

So yes, he does mention the gates, but the subject of the actual question is the "location". The "gates" are mentioned in the 'if' clause, which will be satisifed if Xykon ever gets close to Kraagor's Gate while it's still intact.

Besides, I think he did turn up before the gate went kablooey. Maybe the same round. Bet Xykon was glad he won that initiative...

he got blown up anyway, so I doubt hes that glad.

Throknor
2014-01-05, 05:29 PM

I had argued this semantic point as well just before the explosion strip, but Xykon did arrive while the gate was intact rendering it moot.