PDA

View Full Version : High level Artificer help

Acanous
2014-01-05, 02:49 PM
Hey guys, I have this (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=509962) artificer, and I'm prepping for a pretty lengthy battle.
I've been using this (http://dnd.freeminded.org/tables/DnD3.5Index-Infusions-Artificer.pdf) really handy list for my infusions, but being that this is the first time I've had an artificer this high, I figured I'd ask for advice on my buff routine and what, exactly, I should be doing. Also a re-check of my stuff to ensure it all works how I think it does couldn't hurt.

Also, tactical advice is appreciated.

IIzak
2014-01-05, 03:15 PM
Could we have a little more info about the battle? What exactly is it you're prepping for? also the build looks pretty solid to me. I have almost the same character with just a couple small differences, so I'm kinda interested to see how you do with this. Just some short strategy things that I use when playing that have helped me in the past (Mostly common sense stuff but you never know.)

Brew potions - make potions of cure spells and buffs and hand them out to the party so you don't have to waste your actions buffing everybody else.

Don't forget to enchant your ammo - Since you know what you're going up against im assuming, id say make sure you enchant your ammo before you go in so that you can sit there and fire bane(x) at whatever it is you need to fire at.

Enchant yourself - The spell permanency should be a good friend of yours if it isn't already. Arcane sight, tongues, see invisibility, & read magic are all great spells to put on yourself.

Wands - I noticed that you are lacking wands on your cs. Any particular reason? A wand of maximized, empowered magic missile is always fun, wand of glitterdust is really good for revealing hidden enemies, wand of ray of enfeeblement takes down super strong enemies, load up and put em in a bandolier (item from the forgotten realms campaign setting, grants quick draw feat on items placed inside.)

I can prly offer more based on what you're fighting, but thats what I can think of for now.

Acanous
2014-01-05, 03:27 PM
I'm fighting a Lich and an army of undead. I had a bunch of wands, but have since passed them out to the party.
I should probably make more, but got sorta low on money.

The Lich and his undead/Drow/Illithid/Beholder/Red Mage army is going to be attacking in an unknown number of days, anything from Tomorrow to in 2 weeks. Divinations have failed, we just know he's either moving in from the underdark or VIA sea travel.

I'm planning to throw Magebane and Undead Bane on the shuriken pre-battle. Maybe Disrupting as well.
Gonna have a spell storing item as well, but not sure what to throw in it.

Basically I CAN make some wands, and/or build things, but he could attack at any time, so that's what I have if he hits tomorrow.

IIzak
2014-01-06, 04:01 AM
Are you gonna have to fight all that at once? Because that sounds really annoying. Also disrupting can only go on bludgeoning weapons if im not mistaken. Still, you can (For some cash) make your whole parties weapons into spell storing, then have somebody pump a bunch of spells into them.

Also I can't remember how and I can't find the guide that tells you how but if I remember correctly theres a way to make a portable hole into a lab where u can have a dedicated wright make stuff for you all you want (Which everyone does) but then theres some spell (That is escaping me and making me really mad) that lets you control the flow of time inside the whole, so you can literally speed up time and have your item finished instantly.

Quite a few things on that list of stuff you're going to fight don't like stuff like Crown of Brilliance, along with spells like bolt of glory, and things of that nature, and you're probably going to want lots of battlefield control since this sounds like its going to be a lot of people fighting. Since you can fly, something like ice wall is always fun, just use it and send it out horizontally instead of vertically (Or just use grease). Pump disintigrates or something into your party's weapons and let them start hitting the big stuff with them.

Since normal divination isn't working, perhaps try a summon monster or planar ally or animal and try to get them to find out for you if they're coming by sea. If they aren't, then you can reasonably assume they're coming via the underdark.

Also, if you can, get ahold of the beholder and use his anti-magic beam he creates on the red wizards to make them easy fodder, light spells and sunlight to weaken the drow (Although they will like either atk at night, or they will bring stuff to counter it.) and then its kinda business as usual, you can deal with the undead and lich in the same way, and as for the illithid

"Weaknesses"

As an aberration, a mind flayer tends to have a very poor Fortitude save. The trick is to select attacks that take advantage of this weakness while bypassing its very strong spell resistance. Many spells of the conjuration school are perfect for this. For example, cloudkill, a 5th-level sorcerer/wizard spell, has a Fortitude save and doesn't allow SR. Almost all of the "cloud" spells have this advantage (stinking cloud at 3rd). Even spells that allow a Reflex save that bypass SR are extremely useful.

Must-Haves:Protection from evil or magic circle against evil.

Best Buys for Lower-Level Spells: Melf's acid arrow and stinking cloud.

Wish List: Powerful summon spells, spell resistance, protection from spells, and spell immunity.

Mind flayers are not tough melee opponents. If you can summon in a creature of the construct, elemental, ooze, plant, or undead type, you can negate most of the mind flayer's advantages and quickly defeat it. Such creatures of Large or larger size do very well grappling illithids."

Also for the lich, remember they like to cast spells back. And remember, you aint alone. Those are just some suggestions based on what I can remember and about stuff I think I would do in your situation, so idk, use what you feel works for you and your party. A cleric sounds like he'd be very welcome in your group, maybe go hire one or something.

And also, you can make scrolls of wish... like its not even THAT difficult to do.