PDA

View Full Version : cana cleric pray for a spell higher than he can cast.

Deca4531
2014-01-05, 03:17 PM
lets say im a 1st lv cleric, i have 0 and 1st lv spell slots. according to the description for cleric spells

Clerics do not acquire their spells from books or scrolls, nor do they prepare them through study. Instead, they meditate or pray for their spells, receiving them through their own strength of faith or as divine inspiration. Each cleric must choose a time at which he must spend 1 hour each day in quiet contemplation or supplication to regain his daily allotment of spells. Typically, this hour is at dawn or noon for good clerics and at dusk or midnight for evil ones. Time spent resting has no effect on whether a cleric can prepare spells. A cleric may prepare and cast any spell on the cleric spell list (page 183), provided that he can cast spells of that level, but he must choose which spells to prepare during his daily meditation.

my god gives me all my spells. so lets say i asked for a 2nd level even though i dont have a slot for it, then i used the feat Versatile Spellcaster

You can use two spell slots of the same level to cast a spell you know that is one level higher. For example, a sorcerer with this feat can expend two 2nd-level spell slots to cast any 3rd-level spell he knows.

its a little vague about giving a spell slot level then what you know, since how sorcerers and clerics "know" spells in a difforent way.

i need to be able to cast 2nd lv spells to get into the preseag class Hammer of Moradin (http://dndtools.eu/classes/hammer-of-moradin/) and i dont want to go 3 levels in cleric it get 2nd level spells. is there any errata or RAW that will prevent this from working?

Palanan
2014-01-05, 03:55 PM
The solitary prerequisite for Versatile Spellcaster is the ability to spontaneously cast spells. A first-level cleric wouldn't qualify for this.

As for your thread title alone, the simple answer is, "Sure, go ahead."

:smalltongue:

Craft (Cheese)
2014-01-05, 04:10 PM
Clerics can spontaneously cast cure or inflict spells. I'd allow a cleric to use versatile spellcaster to cast a cure/inflict spell higher than what they can currently cast.

...There's probably *some* shenanigans you could pull with this with spontaneous domain casting and versatile spellcaster, but I have too much of a headache to name any right now.

Deca4531
2014-01-05, 04:12 PM
The solitary prerequisite for Versatile Spellcaster is the ability to spontaneously cast spells. A first-level cleric wouldn't qualify for this.

As for your thread title alone, the simple answer is, "Sure, go ahead."

:smalltongue:

Spontaneous Casting: A good cleric (or a neutral cleric of a good deity) can channel stored spell energy into healing spells that the cleric did not prepare ahead of time. The cleric can "lose" any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower (a cure spell is any spell with "cure" in its name). For example, a good cleric who has prepared command (a 1st-level spell) may lose command in order to cast cure light wounds (also a 1st-level spell). Clerics of good deities can cast cure spells in this way because they are especially proficient at wielding positive energy.

should qualify.

scsimodem
2014-01-05, 04:25 PM
The short answer is "I wouldn't allow it." I might allow versatile caster to allow a cleric to cast a higher level inflict or cure, as mentioned above, but not a higher level than you can normally cast. The feat says 'that you know,' which, for the classes it was intended for, would obviously preclude casting spells you have no slots for. Also, the spellcasting requirement for the class is supposed to restrict entry to people with 2nd level divine spell slots (lvl 3 CoD, lvl 8 Paladin/Ranger). If you're going Hammer of Moradin, straight paladin seems like a good option, and if you go fighter/cleric, 5/3 or 7/1 really doesn't change much, and I'd rather have the extra spell slots than the extra bonus feat, and both have BAB of 7.

*Rules Lawyering Hat On*: Versatile Spellcaster specifically states you can trade out two spell slots to cast a higher level spell that you know. Clerics don't know spells. They're granted by a deity.

Also as stated above, nothing stops you from praying for higher level spells. I doubt the deity will give them to you.

TuggyNE
2014-01-05, 07:22 PM
Versatile Spellcaster doesn't seem to work here, since a Cleric can't spontaneously cast cure/inflict spells without first preparing a different spell in that slot, which they do not have and cannot receive anyway.

Sorry, you'll have to look elsewhere for early entry tricks.

Abaddona
2014-01-05, 07:38 PM
What if he takes level of spontaneus caster? For example can sorcerer1/cleric1 use this feat to gain 2nd level cleric spells for the cost of two his 1st level cleric spell slots?

eastmabl
2014-01-05, 07:58 PM
What if he takes level of spontaneus caster? For example can sorcerer1/cleric1 use this feat to gain 2nd level cleric spells for the cost of two his 1st level cleric spell slots?

Here, you have to divide your character as the level 1 spontaneous caster Sorcerer and the level 1 Vancian caster cleric.

You'd only be able to use Versatile Spellcaster for the sorcerer slots, as that is the spontaneous casting class where you know the spells.