PDA

View Full Version : Earth Meditation - Dwarf Sorcerer Racial Substitution ability

Juntao112
2014-01-05, 05:05 PM
I was browsing Races of Stone today and noticed that the Dwarf Sorcerer's 9th level racial substitution level allows you to add your constitution modifier to your charisma score for determining spells per day in exchange for a 4th level spell known. This doesn't seem like a good exchange, since the increase in spells per day is rather small under normal circumstances, but are there any ways of boosting your constitution score to the point where it becomes profitable?

The only trick I've been able to come up with so far is Shapechanging into a Shambling Mound combined with a Persistent Thunderhead for a boost to constitution every time the character takes a point of damage from the Thunderhead.

Grayson01
2014-01-05, 07:00 PM
if you have a +4 to CHA and a +4 to Con that nets you a +8 so you get — 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1 — So it basiclly negaties the loss of the 4th level spell. and gains you an extra 5,6,7,&8th level spell.

Juntao112
2014-01-05, 07:07 PM
You lose a 4th level spell known, which is quite a handicap imo.

TuggyNE
2014-01-05, 07:19 PM
I was browsing Races of Stone today and noticed that the Dwarf Sorcerer's 9th level racial substitution level allows you to add your constitution modifier to your charisma score for determining spells per day in exchange for a 4th level spell. This doesn't seem like a good exchange, since the increase in spells per day is rather small under normal circumstances, but are there any ways of boosting your constitution score to the point where it becomes profitable?

Spell known, or spell per day? If the latter, starting with 16 (18) Con and 18 Cha with Gold Dwarf would net you 1 bonus 3rd level slot and 1 bonus 4th level slot for the price of a 4th level slot if you have a +2 Cha item and spent your level-up increases on Cha; that seems like a good enough deal to give it a shot, especially since Con increases are not that hard to come by. If the former, though, it's a lot trickier, since there's no very obvious conversion value between spells known and per day.

However, template stacking seems like it should work well for this kind of thing either way. Become a Dragonborn, perhaps.