PDA

View Full Version : Couple of General D&D Questions (Factotum Especially)

IslandDog
2014-01-05, 05:58 PM
Hey all,
My group is playing our first ever campaign. I'm a level 2 Factotum.
We/I ran into a bunch of questions about a couple of things, and if you guys could answer them that'd be amazing!

1) Reflex Saves?
WHAAAT? What's the DC for a reflex save? How do you calculate it? This came up when my character almost fell into a pit. We ruled that I had to roll a d20, and my reflex modifier, and if I passed 20 I'd stay out of the trap. Is that how it works?

2) Loading a longbow
Does loading a longbow act like loading a crossbow? AKA, is this possible: I move, fire my longbow. Next turn, move and fire again. Or would it be: I move, fire my longbow. Next turn, I move, load it to fire next turn (turn 3).

3) Thrown weapons
How do these work? My character through a vial of acid at a goblin. I got a 9, less than the goblins AC of 15. Does the acid have no effect? Did I miss, and he only gets the 1 splash damage?

4) How much does roleplaying work for?
We were confronted with a bunch of goblins, so through some intense diplomacy and descriptions of my actions and a wrist sheath I managed to get my knife under the goblin chiefs neck. Then I killed him, easy as 1-2-3 by simply saying I slit his throat. He was supposed to be the big baddy - could I really have done that (our DM, like everyone playing, is new).

5) 5 foot step
Can we take this anytime? Does it always provoke attacks of opportunity?

6) "Magic" Saves
Sometimes spells have a save DC on them. Could someone explain what that means? (thanks!)

7) General Factotum Advice
I'm a factotum with Knowledge Devotion and Point Blank Shot (human). Anyone know any ways I can bump up my offensive capabilities?

8) Inspiration Points
Are they really that good? I only have 2 now - it's basically a one time plus 2 to anything. Is that really so amazing?

Thanks so much in advance!

BornValyrian
2014-01-05, 06:17 PM
Ok I can't answer all of these, but I'll see what I can

1: the DC for a reflex save will be preset by the DM. Many of these are given in sourcebooks (for example, the DMG will list the DC for many traps, including your pit). The roll is 1d20+your reflex save modifier (base save+Ability mod+misc)

2: If I remember correctly, loading and shooting a bow is part of the same attack action (somebody fact-check for me)

3: I am not sure of splash weapon rules.

4: role playing does as much or as little as your group/dm decides on, but normally most things governed by rules involves rolling of some sort. In the case of diplomacy, sometimes they will go entirely roll-based, or RP-based, or some give a circumstance bonus to a roll based on how you rolePlayed and what you said. That bit with the goblin chief can be ruled as a coup de grace, however, which is a full-round action that auto-crits, can only be done on helpless creatures, and (I think) provokes attacks of opportunity.

5: 5-foot steps are a move action and do not provoke AoO's.

6: A spell's save DC is 10+spell level+relevant ability modifier. Remember the pit and it's reflex save? It's like that, except you are trying to resist or avoid a spell. So for example, a burning hands spell cast by an adept with 13 wisdom will deal 1d4 fire damage, reflex save DC12 for half. Other spells require fortitude saves (touch of fatigue) or will saves (charm person) or no save at all

Sorry I can't answer all of these, but I hope it helped

Machinekng
2014-01-05, 06:34 PM
Hey all,
My group is playing our first ever campaign. I'm a level 2 Factotum.
We/I ran into a bunch of questions about a couple of things, and if you guys could answer them that'd be amazing!

Glad to be obliged!

1) Reflex Saves?
WHAAAT? What's the DC for a reflex save? How do you calculate it? This came up when my character almost fell into a pit. We ruled that I had to roll a d20, and my reflex modifier, and if I passed 20 I'd stay out of the trap. Is that how it works?

Pretty much. The DC for a reflex save depends on the effect/action that you're saving against. The DC for a low-level Camouflaged pit trap is indeed DC 20, you have to roll equal to or higher the DC in order to make a save against the effect. The DC for a spell is usually 10+Spell Level+Casting Stat (Int for a Wizard, Wis for a Cleric, etc...) The DC for a monster ability, trap or environmental effect is usually in the entry.

2) Loading a longbow
Does loading a longbow act like loading a crossbow? AKA, is this possible: I move, fire my longbow. Next turn, move and fire again. Or would it be: I move, fire my longbow. Next turn, I move, load it to fire next turn (turn 3).

Loading a longbow is slighly different than loading a crossbow. Loading a longbow/shortbow is a free action, while loading a light crossbow would be a move action. In other words, your first example is correct.

3) Thrown weapons
How do these work? My character through a vial of acid at a goblin. I got a 9, less than the goblins AC of 15. Does the acid have no effect? Did I miss, and he only gets the 1 splash damage?

From the online d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm):

A splash weapon is a ranged weapon that breaks on impact, splashing or scattering its contents over its target and nearby creatures or objects. To attack with a splash weapon, make a ranged touch attack against the target. Splash weapons require no weapon proficiency, so you don’t take the -4 nonproficiency penalty. A hit deals direct hit damage to the target, and splash damage to all creatures within 5 feet of the target.

You can instead target a specific grid intersection. Treat this as a ranged attack against AC 5. However, if you target a grid intersection, creatures in all adjacent squares are dealt the splash damage, and the direct hit damage is not dealt to any creature. (You can’t target a grid intersection occupied by a creature, such as a Large or larger creature; in this case, you’re aiming at the creature.)

If you miss the target (whether aiming at a creature or a grid intersection), roll 1d8. This determines the misdirection of the throw, with 1 being straight back at you and 2 through 8 counting clockwise around the grid intersection or target creature. Then, count a number of squares in the indicated direction equal to the range increment of the throw.

After you determine where the weapon landed, it deals splash damage to all creatures in adjacent squares.

Emphasis mine.

We were confronted with a bunch of goblins, so through some intense diplomacy and descriptions of my actions and a wrist sheath I managed to get my knife under the goblin chiefs neck. Then I killed him, easy as 1-2-3 by simply saying I slit his throat. He was supposed to be the big baddy - could I really have done that (our DM, like everyone playing, is new).

It all depends on the DM's playstyle. A more narrativist DM may let you get away with that if he felt that it made a good story, but more realistically, no, you shouldn't have instantly killed him. If he was caught unawares, he'd be flatfooted and loose his Dex-bonus to AC, which would also allow you to use Sneak Attack damage if you were a rouge, but it's unlikely he was weak enough to be insta-killed by a normal attack. There is a special rule for coup-de-grace (if the opponent is helpless, your attack will auto-crit), but it doesn't sound like he fell under that category.

However, again depending on the DM, roleplaying can give you circumstance modifiers.

5) 5 foot step
You may a 5-foot step once per round, if you don't make any other movement actions in the round. 5-foot steps do not provoke attacks of opportunity unless the attackers has a specific feat. They don't take up an action (i.e., you can use a full-round action to make a full-attack, and then take a 5-foot step).

6) "Magic" Saves
Sometimes spells have a save DC on them. Could someone explain what that means? (thanks!)
It's the same as your reflex save example. Again, the DC is 10+Spell+Casting Stat Bonus, and those affected by the spell must make the appropriate save (Fortitude, Reflex, or Will) or feel the full effect of the spell.

7) General Factotum Advice
I'm a factotum with Knowledge Devotion and Point Blank Shot (human). Anyone know any ways I can bump up my offensive capabilities?
I'm not a great optimizer, but you can google optimization guides for any particular class.

8) Inspiration Points
Are they really that good? I only have 2 now - it's basically a one time plus 2 to anything. Is that really so amazing?
Inspiration Points are pretty darn useful.
Important things to know:
1.Inspiration points refresh after each encounter.
2.You can get more inspiration points with the Font of Inspiration (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606) feat

Irk
2014-01-05, 06:57 PM
Take a look at higher level factotum abilities. That'll show you how good inspiration points are, particularly at levels 8 and 9.

IslandDog
2014-01-05, 07:50 PM
Coolcoolcool!
Thanks so much for the help, that was all very useful.
I knew the inspiration points reset every encounter, but in long drawn out battles facing 10 enemies, having a single plus 2 to something doesn't seem that useful. (Although, I did forget I could take +4, my int modifier, to damage, which is quite a bit better).

One more question, now that I remember:
What can you take 20 on? Could I take 20 on searching a room? Picking a lock? Climbing a rope? Thanks!

Kennisiou
2014-01-05, 07:58 PM
5: 5-foot steps are a move action and do not provoke AoO's.

Absolutely false. 5-foot steps are not a move action. They are a special kind of free action you can take in your turn, but only if you have not yet moved during the turn. This means if you use your move action to do something else (pull something out of a handy haversack, get up from being prone, or as part of a full round action) you can still take a 5-foot step. That said, 5-foot steps do not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Irk
2014-01-05, 08:04 PM
What can you take 20 on? Could I take 20 on searching a room? Picking a lock? Climbing a rope? Thanks!
You can take 20 on skill checks as detailed in the player's handbook. (may depend on the skill, or that might be taking 10 I'm thinking of.)

Kennisiou
2014-01-05, 08:33 PM
Also, as for factotum advice... it looks like you're looking to try an archery build? If that's the case, you'll love factotum for it. Take the manyshot feat as soon as you can and start using your extra standard actions (as of level 8) to pump out tons of arrows every turn. From this point it's just a question of WHY you want to pump out all those arrows. Using poisons is not a bad idea, but can get expensive if you're buying them yourself and takes some time/skills/feats/magic investment if you're crafting them (the most efficient ways, it's not actually you doing it, but leadership cohorts or allies in the party). I'm not really well-versed in other ways to make factotum archery efficient, but I assume by mentioning it someone else will come along soon to tell you more.

IIzak
2014-01-05, 08:38 PM
About the factotum:

I play a factotum and there's certain things that you can do to increase dmg. One that alot of people seem to gravitate to is the iaijustsu focus skill along with the gnome quickblade, which is stupid good for dealing damage.

This is a very good guide for factotums:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0

Another thing I would suggest if your DM is giving you access to lots of books, check complete scoundrel for the skill tricks, since you're prly getting more skill points right now than you know what to do with, and quite a few of those can be really handy, especially stuff like spot the weak point, which turns your next attack into a touch attack, with just a simple spot check

IslandDog
2014-01-05, 08:41 PM
Also, as for factotum advice... it looks like you're looking to try an archery build? If that's the case, you'll love factotum for it. Take the manyshot feat as soon as you can and start using your extra standard actions (as of level 8) to pump out tons of arrows every turn. From this point it's just a question of WHY you want to pump out all those arrows. Using poisons is not a bad idea, but can get expensive if you're buying them yourself and takes some time/skills/feats/magic investment if you're crafting them (the most efficient ways, it's not actually you doing it, but leadership cohorts or allies in the party). I'm not really well-versed in other ways to make factotum archery efficient, but I assume by mentioning it someone else will come along soon to tell you more.

Thanks for the advice :)
If I go the Manyshot route, I won't have much room for FoI, will I? So how many times could I really get extra standard actions? Also, my dexterity is too low :( (14). Unless I'm allowed to bump it up with items etc? Do those count for feats?
If I go poisons, do I start taking Craft Item feats?

EDIT: Thanks again, by the way, to anyone who answered the questions above too :)

Kennisiou
2014-01-05, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the advice :)
If I go the Manyshot route, I won't have much room for FoI, will I? So how many times could I really get extra standard actions? Also, my dexterity is too low :( (14). Unless I'm allowed to bump it up with items etc? Do those count for feats?
If I go poisons, do I start taking Craft Item feats?

EDIT: Thanks again, by the way, to anyone who answered the questions above too :)

You really only need manyshot to get this build going, so you can just go point blank shot > rapid shot > manyshot. Three feats. You can have this build by level nine with one feat left over for FoI. Two if you get a l1 bonus feat. More if you take two fighter levels to get bonus feats and more BaB (not a bad idea to take 2-4 fighter levels on this build for feats and Base Attack Bonus). For poison you don't need item crafting feats, just the skill craft (poisonmaking) and the feat Master of Poisons feat from Drow of the Underdark. Making poisons after that is just a matter of gathering materials and making craft checks. Akalsaris's poison handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.msg162787#msg162787) details all the listed poisons in the game, their sources, and gives some good advice on how to start with crafting it.

As for whether or not magic items count for feats... ask your DM. The rule at most tables I play at is you can take feats if you have an item or class feature that allows you to meet their requirements (like wildshape getting you the natural weapons for multiattack), but if for any reason you no longer meet the requirements you no longer gain the benefits of the feat. A lot of tables seem to play with rules like this (with the amount of times I see multiattack suggested for druids/other wildshapers there's got to be something like this going on).

If you don't go manyshot, then Iaijutsu focus with a gnomish quickrazor is usually the way to go with this build. Consider retraining point blank shot into exotic weapon proficiency: gnomish quickrazor using the retraining rules in PHBII if your DM allows it.

IslandDog
2014-01-05, 09:05 PM
About the factotum:

I play a factotum and there's certain things that you can do to increase dmg. One that alot of people seem to gravitate to is the iaijustsu focus skill along with the gnome quickblade, which is stupid good for dealing damage.

This is a very good guide for factotums:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0

Another thing I would suggest if your DM is giving you access to lots of books, check complete scoundrel for the skill tricks, since you're prly getting more skill points right now than you know what to do with, and quite a few of those can be really handy, especially stuff like spot the weak point, which turns your next attack into a touch attack, with just a simple spot check

Thanks guys!
I've actually seen that guide^ :).
I want to stay away from the quickrazor technique because it seems pretty cheesy, to me.
I think I actually might take a level or 2 in fighter, if only to get those feats. Otherwise I'll stop at rapidshot, and get the master of poisons feat. I don't know if this campaign will get very far beyond that, but if I do I'll take it from there. And I'll start pumping some of those skill points into poisonmaking :D
(as a side note, I actually am not overflowing with skill points, because I've been appointed party scout. And I need knowledge checks for the knowledge devotion feat. And social skills because that's just my character. But I'll do what I can :))

Kennisiou
2014-01-05, 09:18 PM
And I'll start pumping some of those skill points into poisonmaking :D
(as a side note, I actually am not overflowing with skill points, because I've been appointed party scout. And I need knowledge checks for the knowledge devotion feat. And social skills because that's just my character. But I'll do what I can :))

One of the good things about craft poisonmaking is that you only need enough ranks in it to succeed on taking ten at making the piosons you want (although some readings of the rules say that you can't take ten on crafting unless your minimum roll would be failing by less than five, so you may need enough to "take five" on making it in order to be able to take ten). So you don't need to necessarily max the skill out.

Also, as for the other skills you take, remember that you don't need to max them. It's often more efficient to just take a few points and let your factotum abilities and spells cover the difference (sense motive is often one of these skills, as are hide and move silently).

IIzak
2014-01-06, 04:18 AM
Also, as for the other skills you take, remember that you don't need to max them. It's often more efficient to just take a few points and let your factotum abilities and spells cover the difference (sense motive is often one of these skills, as are hide and move silently).

aww beat me to it. yeah thats basically it, you just let your factotum abilities do the boosting for you. And if you want to stay away from the iaijutsu focus build thats cool. I actually use a halberd just cause I think its fun, and you boost intimidate and theres a feat you can take called Imperious command, and then you get the skill trick that lets you intimidate anybody in a square you threaten, then wield a reach weapon and viola! all of your enemies are now cowering in fear of you.

Personally I don't like poisons just because there are so many more effective things that you can use your feats and stuff on. The poisons that you are able to create just aren't worth it IMHO.

Also for your archery build, having a well enchanted bow is really what is going to do it for you. Good enchantments for it include: Force, splitting, wounding, distance, holy, unholy, magebane, and a couple others that I can't remember atm. Honestly though, I'd just get arrows enchanted with holy, unholy, and magebane, so you aren't wasting bow enchantments on stuff you don't need to.

CRtwenty
2014-01-06, 04:39 AM
1) Reflex Saves?

Yes that's how it works. You roll the d20, add any bonuses (generally your base reflex + your dex modifier) and if you reach or exceed the DC you succeed. Said DC is a number decided by the DM (the DMG has base DCs for common things like pit traps, there are other ways to calculate other DCs)

2) Loading a longbow

Bows (unlike crossbows) can be loaded and fired on the same round. This also applies to multiple attacks, so for example you could load and fire three arrows in the same full attack assuming you had a high enough BAB or the right feats/abilities to do so.

3) Thrown weapons

More or less. There's specific rules for grenade type weapons, depending on where your vial hits the goblin could be hit with splash damage.

Generally no. Instant death attacks are called "Coup de Graces" and can only be performed in specific situations (namely when the target is helpess). Sucker stabbing somebody with a knife would just be a normal attack against a flat footed target (which may have triggered a sneak attack if you were a rogue)

5) 5 foot step

You can take it anytime during your turn, so long as you take no other forms of movement during that round. It never provokes an AoO

6) "Magic" Saves

Like your pit trap above, the save DC is the number you have to roll above to resist or negate the spell. The DC is generally 10 + spell level + caster's casting stat modifier. So a level 2 Wizard with a 16 Intelligence (modifier +3) casting Sleep (a level 1 spell) would have a DC of 14 to resist that spell.

Don't get Spell Levels and Caster Levels confused. A level 17 Wizard casting Sleep would still only cast it as a level 1 spell unless he intentionally prepared it in a higher level slot. (His INT would probably be much higher though, for a higher total DC).

EDIT:

Generally you can take 20 on a skill check where you have plenty of time to get it right, and there is no real penalty for failure. So you could take 20 to search a room if you had enough time (IE: You can't take 20 to search something if there's a fight in the room or there's guards patrolling frequently) pick a lock (so long as it wasn't trapped), or climb a rope (if the rope was short enough you wouldn't get hurt if you fell and had time to do it carefully)

Chronos
2014-01-06, 11:20 AM
I find it interesting that your question 6 is the answer to your question 1, and vice-versa.

In general, almost everything in the game that might succeed or fail follows the same pattern: There's a difficulty class, or DC, that tells you how hard it is to do the thing (higher numbers are harder), and you roll a d20 and add various modifiers to see if you get at least that number. Usually, the modifiers include the modifier from one ability score, and some sort of modifier that scales with level in some way (plus possibly modifiers from many other sources).

Example 1: You're trying to hit a monster, using a sword. The DC of this task is the monster's AC. You roll a d20, then add your Strength modifier, then add your base attack bonus (which depends on your class and level). You might also add other bonuses: For instance, your sword might be magical, or an ally might have cast a Bless spell on you, or you might be flanking the target (you and an ally are on opposite sides of it). After you add all of your bonuses, you compare that to the monster's AC. If your number is at least that high, you successfully hit.

Example 2: You're trying to pick a lock. First you find out the DC of the lock by checking the table in the Open Lock skill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/openLock.htm) (thus, for a typical lock, the DC will be 25). Then you roll a d20, and add your Dex mod and the number of ranks you have in the Open Lock skill (which has a maximum possible value depending on your level). You might also add other bonuses, for instance if your lockpicks are very high quality. You compare the number you get to the DC, and if it's at least that high, you successfully pick the lock.

Example 3: You're trying to duck and cover from a Fireball spell, to decrease the damage you take. This is a Reflex saving throw. The saving throw DC for a spell is 10 plus the spell's level plus the caster's relevant ability modifier, so for instance, if this fireball was cast by a wizard with an 18 Int, it'll be DC 17 (10 plus 3 for Fireball's level plus a modifier of +4 for an 18 ability score). You roll a d20, then add your Dex mod, then add your class's base Reflex save bonus. You might also add other bonuses, such as if someone's cast a Resistance spell on you. If your total is at least equal to the DC of 17, then you've successfully dodged the worst of the blast, and take only half damage.

Sometimes, instead of one person rolling against a static DC, you have two people both trying to accomplish something in opposition to each other. For instance, person A might be trying to get away with a lie, while person B is trying to figure out the truth. In this case, you roll an opposed check: A will make a Bluff skill check (d20+Cha mod+bluff skill ranks+assorted other bonuses), and person B will make a Sense Motive skill check (d20+Wis mod+sense motive skill ranks+assorted other bonuses), and whichever one is higher will succeed.

And if your group is so new to D&D, why are you using such a wide selection of books? It's a lot simpler to just start with the core books (Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual 1) until you have the basic mechanics down, and then start introducing more complicated things.

IslandDog
2014-01-06, 01:42 PM
Thanks, everyone! Really helpful. The whole save DC thing makes a lot more sense.

And if your group is so new to D&D, why are you using such a wide selection of books? It's a lot simpler to just start with the core books (Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual 1) until you have the basic mechanics down, and then start introducing more complicated things.

We actually did start with just core, with me as DM. But I got overeager and started researching a bunch of different classes, and really wanted to try them out. So one of the players took over, and I was introduced into the game. Everyone else is core :).
Although, since I've become the skillmonkey factotum, the rogue in our party is feeling a bit underused. So he may multiclass out of core if we find the books, or the class online. Not sure what class as of yet - any suggestions?

Kennisiou
2014-01-06, 02:13 PM
For a rogue looking to multiclass? How many levels in are you? What are his stats?

If he has the dex and int to back it up and likes melee, going daring outlaw with some martial initiator classes on top isn't a bad idea.

Something like...

Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 3/Any non- TOB class 1/Swordsage 1 taking daring outlaw feat at level 6 (combines rogue and swashbuckler levels for sneak attack, grace, and Swashbuckler dodge bonus) and being sure to take assassin stance as one of your stances as swordsage is a solid 9-level build that gets you 6d6 sneak attack die (as long as you're in assassin stance), int to damage on any finessable melee weapon, dex to damage on any shadow hand weapon (sai, siangham, unarmed strike, dagger, short sword, and spiked chain with the idea that the DM can expand upon the list if setting appropriate) as long as you're in a shadow hand stance, and gives you a decent pool of maneuvers to be useful with. From there it really depends on your other stats, but you can take levels in other TOB classes like warblade or grab some levels in swashbuckler to advance BAB and HP while still gaining sneak attack die or really just do whatever.

IslandDog
2014-01-06, 02:18 PM
If he has the dex and int to back it up and likes melee, going daring outlaw with some martial initiator classes on top isn't a bad idea.

I think that would be cool! We're level two, and his stats are pretty good but I don't remember them perfectly. He has been leaning towards melee, so maybe he'll try that. Although he is a halfling...

Also, I've been looking into poisons - is master of poisons a 3.5 feat? I don't have Drow of the Underdark. Also, is Craft Alchemy the relevant skill or does it vary by poison? In the last battle we fought I threw some vials of acid, which was awesome, so I'd like to expand on those capabilities if possible. I think I'll take some ranks in craft alchemy. However, I don't know if I'll have time to actually be in a lab...

EDIT: Some googling makes it seem that craft poisonmaking is a thing as well... choices, choices :p

IIzak
2014-01-06, 02:55 PM
Drow of the Underdark is a 3.5 source book material.

Also, to solve your lab problem, a portable hole can be outfitted with an entire alchemists lab, and you can carry it around with you wherever (Just be careful, bc there's no air in there, and temporal rifts are kind of a pain)

To solve that problem, if you could somehow get a hold of a dedicated wright, or maybe even just a simulacrum would do it idk, you could have them do all your alchemizing for you without needing to stop adventuring. Its an artificer trick, but it'd work for you in this situation.