PDA

View Full Version : i sold my sOul. now what

CyberThread
2014-01-05, 06:17 PM
Concept. I sell my sOul

Mechanics. What can I get for by raw without Dm.

AuraTwilight
2014-01-05, 06:25 PM
Check the Fiendish Codex II. It literally has rules for selling one's soul.

Zweisteine
2014-01-05, 06:25 PM
Your best bet would be to look in the Book of Vile Darkness or the Fiendish Codices.

Also, Pazuzu buys your alignment. It's a much lower price than your soul.

ArqArturo
2014-01-05, 06:28 PM
What's the soul's market value these days? And, can you get another soul in Sigil and just claim that's your soul?.

Zovc
2014-01-05, 06:32 PM
What's the soul's market value these days? And, can you get another soul in Sigil and just claim that's your soul?.

"Yeah, sure, that's totally my soul!"
"Why aren't you, like... my puppet right now?"
"I'unno, but that's totally my soul! Later!"
*slings golden guitar behind his back and walks away*

Irk
2014-01-05, 07:11 PM
Two kinds of faustian pact: The pact certain and the pact insidious. The pact certain is for those who believe they are already damned, and want to get something out of their misdemeanor. The pact insidious is a sneaky version for those that think they can get away with consorting with devils without damnation. The pact certain can be repealed if it is proved that the signatory was forced to sign. The pact insidious has the signatory slowly perform acts of evil to gain their next reward, ultimately realizing, too late, that they have damned themselves.

Rewards depend on the value of the soul, and include include 5%-60% of one's total cash,a fair bit of XP, a feat, an additional spell slot, ability score increase of one point, and bonuses on a class or cross-class skill.

In some cases, an archdevil can cast miracles for the signatory.

Pact Certain offers one reward of rank 7 (you have to look at the p. 24 FCII tables) though you could get more if your cunning.

Pact Insidious offers up to 7 rewards that add up to a reward rank of 9.

To get out of it, once you're dead, you have a trial and try to prove you were either coerced into signing the pact, or the benefits were not actually given as promised. Then each side makes three skill checks: diplomacy, knowledge (the planes), and Perform (acting). No, I'm not joking about the last one. If the combined results of your checks are higher, then you win, but...

It is also possible for a defendant to win her case on merit,
only to suffer condemnation to the Nine Hells on unrelated
grounds if her corruption score or obeisance score (see page 30)
equals or exceeds 9. Much diabolical laughter then ensues.

So yeah, you could still fail anyway.

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-01-05, 08:12 PM
Maybe you should have negotiated the price first.

Eldariel
2014-01-05, 08:13 PM
Warlock can work much to this effect, as well as most caster classes. Sell your soul for Cleric casting from that fiend or whatever. Depends on the buyer frankly. Warlock, Binder and Cleric would be my top 3 choices (or Hellfire Ur-Priest, combination of all 3).

CRtwenty
2014-01-06, 02:29 AM
Concept. I sell my sOul

As per the Fiendish Codex you can bargain for a bonus feat (including Vile Feats), and get small stat bonuses among other things. However these can be withdrawn without warning and you can be punished (with stat minuses, incurable diseases, etc.) if you violate the terms of the agreement (which usually involves disobeying whatever you sold your soul too, or trying to weasel out of the deal via Atonement or something)

Socratov
2014-01-06, 05:05 AM
Might I say that this is a really bad idea... It's even worse then going into wishlawyering territories since you literally invite the DM to screw with your characterin any way he likes and if your DM is anything resembling clever he will find a way for the fiend in question to keep to the agreement and still screw you over.

On the perform(Acting) check, we all know lawyers have a theatric streak when it comes to presenting cases in court, so it's actually quite logical to ask for a Perform(Acting) check.

Storytime:

I once played ina campaign in which we had a problem where our undead Dread Necro/Sandshaper had been called to the afterlife. Since this was an egyptian like setting with the egyptian gods his souls was to be weighed. My character and my co-player's character (who was a returned to life pharaoh) had to make diplomacy and knowledge religion checks to finish the ritual described in the book of the dead and the book of life to make sure we got our friend back. My character (a changeling necropolitan archivist) actually got to boss ournd the undead pharaoh. The pharaoh was objecting to it at first but a quick "Shut up! I need to concentrate on this or we will lose him for all eternity. So be a good boy and help me dual wield these artifacts of life and death will you?". One moment later he was my personal bookstand leafing through the pages as I needed them. An hour of roleplaying a courtsession on the plane of the egyptian gods arguing for the soul of our friend later my character liberated the Dread Necro/Sandshaper, gotten the blessing of the gods and gotten some foavours of the rest of the party. Seeing how I was playing an archivist devoted to Toth I exchanged my favours for a giant library and university devoted to Toth. It was one of the best campaign conclusions I have ever had. Everyone in the party (who wasn't almost destroyed) sat on the edge of their seats and the ritual was actually better then any combat I ever faced (yes even a naval battle where I with my smallish ship and a couple of pirates wrecked a complete navy).

A_S
2014-01-06, 05:16 AM
Might I say that this is a really bad idea... It's even worse then going into wishlawyering territories since you literally invite the DM to screw with your characterin any way he likes and if your DM is anything resembling clever he will find a way for the fiend in question to keep to the agreement and still screw you over.
I mean, if your goal is "get some mechanical bonuses and minimize their cost," then yeah, it's a terrible idea. If you're thinking more along the lines of, "gee, it would be fun to play a character dealing with the aftermath of having signed a Faustian pact, and I'd like the benefits from the deal represented in some useful mechanical way," it starts to look a whole lot better.

It'll also depend on your DM's attitude...you're talking about what a DM can do if his goal is to screw you over. If his goal is to tell a cool story with you about a character who sold his soul (and presumably pays some kind of price for it), then that's potentially much cooler.

Killer Angel
2014-01-06, 05:17 AM
Concept. I sell my sOul

In these cases, RAW got always fine prints.

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-06, 09:13 AM
Whatever you get, which make no mistake you can always pump up the price a little more (imps are completely suckers for your souls, they'll do anything to be able to say it was them who claimed it), just make sure you're ready for that piano that is going to fall on your head the second you walk away.

Repenting before you die might be a good way to avoid all that being a goat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzKUzRJUzQ0) issue.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-06, 09:34 AM
The best deal you can get IMO is swearing service to an elder evil (Elder Evils page 10), in which case you get 1 [Vile] feat plus one for every 5 hit dice you possess. Bear in mind that doesn't necessarily mean your soul, although you'd be hard-pressed to argue it doesn't belong to the elder evil anyway.