PDA

View Full Version : help with potential pvp

luthais
2014-01-05, 11:24 PM
Ok, so the run down...

At our last session, our group was fighting gargoyles and shadows. The group is lvl 6, consisting of human paladin, human witch variant, firbolg variant warblade(me), nothrogg barbarian, gnome favored soul, catfolk bard, human rogue, human necromancer, and kitsune oracle. After dispatching the gargoyles, the shadows move in. Most are dead now, thanks to having access to deathward. Well, the original idea was we we're going to be attacked by drow. The town has 10ft walls on three sides, a 250ft drop from a cliff on the last side. During the prep stage, we had placed 35 rocks along the cliff with explosives runes on them. Myself, the paladin, and the necromancer knew the command word. They were also rigged to explode on impact. During the last round, the favored soul ran over to grab up the rocks to use. As a joke, I whispered to the dm that I say the command word.... BOOOOOM! The gnome takes the full brunt of the blast, manages to dodge the rocks on the way down, but lands at the bottom of the huge rock pile. Dead as a door nail.

Now, the dm and I both offer to take it back and pretend it never happened.The gnome player laughed and thought it was a brilliant plan, considering we have a running gag of killing the gnome every chance we get. Here's where the trouble starts. The witch's player has a huge problem of playing himself, not the character. Not to mention, metagaming. He has made it perfectly clear he intends to kill my character for what I did. My character wasn't close to anybody when I said it. Couple that with others knowing the command word, and the impact trigger, and there shouldn't be any possible way for him to know I was the one that did it.

The gnome has taken all this in stride, even allowing us to create a custom reincarnation table for him to roll with. The dm even offered to create an entire character for him, and said he could look at it and have customization options as well. But, the witch still thinks he can simply come up and kill me flat out.

Now, I would like some opinions on how to diffuse the situation first. I'm not sure how the witch will react if he dies. Probably badly, knowing him. Failing that, some tips on how to put him down quickly in a fight. I know he loves to use fiery burst and burning hands. He is using a homebrew variant. Also, if anyone has an idea for fire immunity or resistance for cheap, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Yukitsu
2014-01-05, 11:54 PM
This may be difficult to adjudicate from an outsider perspective, as it seems to me that you guys are using a lot of houserules.

That aside, just play it out in character, if he loses again, fine, if he doesn't, you did essentially kill his character for no reason as well, and as a paladin at that. If he tries to do it more than once, you need to get the DM to step in.

luthais
2014-01-06, 12:15 AM
This may be difficult to adjudicate from an outsider perspective, as it seems to me that you guys are using a lot of houserules.

That aside, just play it out in character, if he loses again, fine, if he doesn't, you did essentially kill his character for no reason as well, and as a paladin at that. If he tries to do it more than once, you need to get the DM to step in.

I'm the warblade, not the paladin. And, as I said, we gave him multiple chances to pretend it never happened. The problem isn't with the character that got killed, he seems to think its the funniest damn thing in the world. What really worries me is that he'll get butthurt and just quit. The paladin is his boyfriend, and while I'm not afraid the paladin will be mad ooc, I am afraid it may cause both of them to stop coming to the game.

We really aren't using too many houserules, except for the class variants, and my race variant. The dm does try his best to keep the metagaming down to a minimum. Hoping he can squash it before it gets to any pvp.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-06, 12:22 AM
First off, you guys really should have tried to suss out your policy on PvP beforehand, and it'll be a good idea to try to figure it out anyway once this thing burns out.

The witch's player has a huge problem of playing himself, not the character. Not to mention, metagaming. He has made it perfectly clear he intends to kill my character for what I did.

I would at the very least require the Witch player to have some believable in-character reason for it. Otherwise I'd veto it with something like "Your character doesn't know that, or even have a plausible reason to believe it. That's clearly metagaming".

luthais
2014-01-06, 01:02 AM
Really, we all have the attitude of avoiding pvp if possible. Except for the witch. His attitude is "if you make me mad, I'll kill you". I've already discussed with a couple of the other players, and we're pretty sure the dm will put the lid on him if can't come up with good reason for it. The problem with that is he might throw a tantrum and leave, taking the paladin with him. Honestly, it really wouldn't hurt the game any if he did leave, but I don't like the thought of losing a real life friendship with him or the paladin over this. Normally, he's a good guy, just a lil too excitable. Sorry this is kinda turning into a vent/bitch session, just figured it would be good to get the playground's view on it. And some ideas on how to deal with it.

Mirakk
2014-01-06, 01:19 AM
Honestly, if the guy is going to tantrum over something dumb, I'd let him walk away from my table.

I don't need players like that around. If I lost another player over it, that sucks, but the game goes on.