PDA

View Full Version : Bracers of throwing

Druid
2007-01-20, 05:11 PM
These leather bracers are worn on the lower arms and augment thrown weapons. Bracers of throwing grant an enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls made with thrown weapons ranging from +1 to +5. If the weapon is a magic weapon then the wielder may chose which set of enhancements to apply to his attack.

Faint evocation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, magic weapon, creators caster level must be at least three times the bracers' enhancement bonus; Price 4,000 (+1), 16,000 (+2), 36,000 (+3), 64,000 (+4), 100,000 (+5).

What say the playground? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Possible alternate version:

These leather bracers are worn on the lower arms and augment thrown weapons. Bracers of throwing are enchanted as a magical weapon, but the cost of doing so is double normal price. Any weapon thrown while wearing bracers of throwing is treated as if it had the same enchantments for that attack. Bracers of throwing do not stack with any enchantments already on the weapons and if a magic weapon is thrown while the bracers are worn the wearer must decide which set of enchantments will apply to the attack.

CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, magic weapon, creators caster level must be at least three times the bracers' enhancement bonus (for all other purposes, such as adding other enhancements, treat as a magic weapon); Price 4,000 (+1), 16,000 (+2), 36,000 (+3), 64,000 (+4), 100,000 (+5), 144,000 (+6), 196,000 (+7), 256,000 (+8), 324,000 (+9), 400,000 (+10).

Alright, unless anyone can spot a problem with the crafting specifications, I think these are ready for the compendium.

Roderick_BR
2007-01-20, 06:38 PM
So, it's like a magic bow that gives it's magic effects to the arrow, but instead it's a bracer that makes thrown weapons get the magic effect? Interesting.
Make each version (Bracers +1, Bracers +2, etc...) the standard price to enchant weapons.

Machete
2007-01-20, 09:38 PM
These could get way overpowered with Throw Anything and the other throwing feats. I'd say have them take up the Gloves and Bracer slots.

Just my opinion.

magic8BALL
2007-01-21, 01:57 AM
Nah... what other item takes up two body slots? ...eh?

I like it. If a +3 rock is to overpowering in your campaign, Machete, you havn't sat at a table with me: I've had monkeys throw gaurds at a fullplate clad dwarf fighter, and knock her out! I know one player who wants a pair of these to throw gaurds back...

Your presentation could go with a touch up, but otherwise, the items themselves are fantastic, double price and all (I think this is the balancing factor)! Good idea.

Druid
2007-01-21, 02:40 AM
These could get way overpowered with Throw Anything and the other throwing feats.

How so? On an unrelated note, did you know that this board has a minimum post length requirement?

Darkshade
2007-01-21, 02:52 AM
its good, i've seen similar things and as long as it doesnt enhance already magical things you throw its not really broken

Fizban
2007-01-21, 03:31 AM
Pricing. Obviously it has to cost more than a normal weapon. The Amulet of Mighty fists costs three times as much as a normal weapon, and has the same ability to apply to any appropriate weapon you wield. So, three times normal cost should be enough, though I'd say double is enough.

Druid
2007-01-21, 03:33 AM
A lot of people (me included) think that the amulet of mighty fists costs way to much to begin with. It's one of the reasons that monks suck.

magic8BALL
2007-01-21, 04:10 AM
A lot of people (me included) think that the amulet of mighty fists costs way to much to begin with. It's one of the reasons that monks suck.

...unless you have enough natural weapons to make it count... becouse you can still use those as secondary attacks after all your unarmerd strikes. They still take the same penalties as you flurry attacks, and an extra -5, or -2 if you have Multiattack, or no extra penalty if you have Improved Multiattack.

...back on topic...

...I think Machete is worried arout a Barbarian with +3 Bracers of Throwing, the Trow Anything feat and about 6 greataxe's straped to his back...no one else seems to be... only the worst of us would ever do that...

Darkshade
2007-01-21, 04:52 AM
...I think Machete is worried arout a Barbarian with +3 Bracers of Throwing, the Trow Anything feat and about 6 greataxe's straped to his back...no one else seems to be... only the worst of us would ever do that...

he likely wouldnt have a good enough dexterity score to really hit anything, plus anything in range he could just run up to and smack which wiht power attakc would be a lot more effective, plus a 2nd level monk could just swat the first one of those "arrows" away like nothing

Darkshade
2007-01-21, 04:53 AM

I just wanted to suggest the Bracers of Striking from Forgotten Realms I believe they are only double the price take up your bracers slot and work great for monks

Druid
2007-01-21, 03:50 PM
With Brutal Throw from CoA he wouldn't need a good dex. Most things are broken if you try hard enough, so I'm not too worried.

What do the bracers of striking do?

geez3r
2007-01-21, 05:46 PM
I like it. I always liked throwing weapons, but found it... not exactly economical to enchant all the weapons needed. I believe the price is balanced at x2. Now I can make that warblade/bloodstorm blade/master thrower I've been working on useful. *Yoink*

Matthew
2007-01-22, 05:19 PM
Why aren't these Gloves of Throwing [and Catching]?

Druid
2007-01-22, 05:31 PM
For one thing gloves aren't supposed to increase destructive power, they'd have to be gauntlets to do that [/nitpick]. The reason they don't take up the hand slot is that one of the items I got the idea for these from were the bracers of archery. If you'd like to use these as gloves of throwing then go ahead.

Matthew
2007-01-22, 05:57 PM
Laughs. Yeah, I had Baseball in mind...

Gloves of Dexterity and Gloves of Arrow Snatching, though, might set a reasonable precedent for these being Gloves rather than, or as well as, Gauntlets.

magic8BALL
2007-01-23, 02:46 AM
...remembering, of cause, that you could simply add 1/2 the price and get Goggles of Throwing, or double the price and get it enchanted onto an Ioun Stone.

Socks of Throwing are also posable, but they would cost as much as the Goggles.

...hell... around my table we only double the cost for Ioun Stones, we have Rings of Dex and Cloaks of Haste...I'm playing an Epic Character with A Monks Belt of Str +16. If it takes up a body slot, it cost base price. Totally silly of cause, and some suggestions are thrown out (mostly google sugestions, thats way too silly...we up the price for those).

Icewalker
2007-01-23, 04:58 PM
I dunno, I think it's a pretty cool idea. Fun item for the adventurers, like if they got captured and tied up, and their weapons taken away. Improvised weapons are always fun, and, say, throwing your shoe and killing someone with it would be great.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-13, 09:05 PM
So, can anyone make these? We need details! :smallwink:

magic8BALL
2007-02-13, 09:07 PM
...who actually makes items these days?

...XP costs, time away from adventuring, required spells that no-one actually uses...

or just stroll down to the closest generic magical trinkets shop and hand over your share of the hoard from a samll dragon. Easy.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-02-14, 12:13 AM
I think they're pretty good, they'd be very nice for Mr. Chuck Keen (http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=9837553&postcount=21).

Druid
2007-02-14, 12:29 AM
So, can anyone make these? We need details! :smallwink:

I can't decide between having them be wondrous items with magic weapon as the requisite enchantment or allowing them to be made with the craft magic arms and armor feat with no required spell. Typically bracers would be considered wondrous items but do to the items specific function arms and armor fits just as well. Any opinions?

magic8BALL
2007-02-14, 10:15 AM
Wonderous, with magic weapon as a prereq, caster level must be at least three time that of the enhancement bonus transfered to the thrown item.

Or have a look at the bracers of archery, and amulet of mighty fists... both these itms are similar in their own ways to these...

Druid
2007-02-14, 09:15 PM
Yeah, that sounds good. I'll edit the description to match.

Edit: I just realized that with the wealth by level guidelines and character creation rules as they are even a character created at level 20 won't be able to afford these. Should I lower the price (maybe 1.5 times a magic weapon's price) or leave it as is?

magic8BALL
2007-02-14, 09:53 PM
No... they should only go up to +5 bonus...

No weapon can be enhanced to +6 without an artifact being involved.

Druid
2007-02-15, 12:56 AM
The bracers can hold all the same enchantments as a magic weapon. The enhancement bonus can't go above 5 but other things can be added to make it the equivalent of a +6-10 weapon.

magic8BALL
2007-02-15, 10:40 PM
Ahh... well see now thats a different kettle of fish...

Amulets of Mighty Fist's dont allow this, and I can see a good reason why: +4 flaming burst disrupting fists, +4 flaming burst disrupting feet, +4 flaming burst disrupting elbows, +4 flaming burst disrupting knees, and a +4 flaming burst disrupting head.

I can think of a good reason why Bracers of Throwing shouldn't allow this:
"My halfling has 26 daggers stashed away all over his tiny body... and each one is a +5 keen shocking dagger of DOOM..."

...I make my point, yes?

Keep it to +1-+5 enhancement, no fancy stuff, and it's fine... as soon as all your scimitars a keen and vorpral at range, there's a problem.

Druid
2007-02-16, 12:52 AM
That's not so much different than my halfling has a +5 keen shocking burst long bow of doom with 26 arrows, though maybe you have a point. I'll limit it to just a +1-5 bonus for now and maybe change it after I have a chance to playtest these.