PDA

View Full Version : Crusader min/max

Martial_law
2014-01-05, 11:25 PM
Im making a trip-bot crusader as a minion. He is gonna be lvl 15. Im trying to figure out if taking 2 lvls of barb for the wolf totem will make my crusader less optimal?

I know it gets me another feat, but does losing those 2 IL slow down my growth too much?

Eldonauran
2014-01-05, 11:45 PM
Im making a trip-bot crusader as a minion. He is gonna be lvl 15. Im trying to figure out if taking 2 lvls of barb for the wolf totem will make my crusader less optimal?

I know it gets me another feat, but does losing those 2 IL slow down my growth too much?

It worth it. You'll only be losing 1 initiator level, though. Other classes count as 1/2 an initiator level as far as the Tome of Battle classes are concerned.

Darrin
2014-01-06, 12:03 AM

No. Crusader 20 doesn't have a very impressive capstone, and the delay in Initiator Level allows you to get some stances you would have had to blow a feat on to get.

Rebel7284
2014-01-06, 01:13 AM
Not taking Ruby Knight Vindicator makes your crusader less optimal. :P

Besides that, yeah, it's worth it. Doubly so if you are allowed to combine the Totems from Complete Champion and the Player's Handbook 2 to take Spiritual Lion/Wolf totem and get pounce and improved trip.

Martial_law
2014-01-08, 03:34 AM
So my feats are, in no particular order

combat reflexes, stand still, curling wave strike, Knock Down, Improved Init, Improved trip.

I have 2 more feats available to me, any suggestions? Again Im a trip bot with specialty in spiked chain and glaive.

Flickerdart
2014-01-08, 03:40 AM
Extra Granted Maneuver is never a bad gig. You might also consider taking Martial Study for some of the throws from Setting Sun, since they also use trips.

Martial_law
2014-01-08, 03:58 AM
Can I just pick a maneuver then if I take martial study? or do I have to take one I "qualify for"?

Ignoring that I need swordsage levels, what about the prerequisite maneuvers needed to qualify for some of these guys?

Gwendol
2014-01-08, 04:35 AM
So my feats are, in no particular order

combat reflexes, stand still, curling wave strike, Knock Down, Improved Init, Improved trip.

I have 2 more feats available to me, any suggestions? Again Im a trip bot with specialty in spiked chain and glaive.

Defensive sweep comes to mind, as does power attack. When you hit you want them to feel the pain, and since you'll be hitting a lot of prone opponents better PA to the max.

Chronos
2014-01-08, 11:05 AM
Martial Study will let you take a maneuver from any school, regardless of class, but you do still have to meet the prerequisites of other maneuvers. In practice, this usually means that you'll have to spend your first Martial Study on a low-level one, but there are a handful of high-level maneuvers with low or no prereqs.

strider24seven
2014-01-08, 11:13 AM
Two levels of Warblade and lots of Prestige Classes. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8218.0)

Martial_law
2014-01-10, 01:32 AM
Im really interested in those throws, if I took 2 of them, (devastating throw, and mighty throw)

Would I be foolish to drop "stand still" for "extra granted maneuver"?

Gwendol
2014-01-10, 06:56 AM
Not really. Stand still is nice in that it can work well with other feats like defensive sweep, and that you keep enemies in your kill-zone (wasting their actions). However, maneuvers can open up new tactics and in the end you need to make a choice. Which maneuver did you have in mind.

prufock
2014-01-10, 07:53 AM
I would do it if I were you, and I'd combine this with the Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) rage variant.