PDA

View Full Version : Pop Culture as D&D

CrazyYanmega
2014-01-06, 12:10 AM
Ever looked at your favorite TV, comic, or game icons and wondered what they would look like in D&D? Well, I have, and I wanted to make a place where people could discuss stuff like this. I'll give an example.

Natsu from Fairy Tail. Now, I never watched this series, but apparently he's supposed to be some sort of fire wizard/martial artist who specializes in fire magic. From what I've seen and what I've been told, I have come to the conclusion that he is, in fact, a PsychicWarrior/Monk/Pyrokineticist.

How about the rest of you? What characters from pop culture stand out to you?

PS: If this was the wrong place to post this, I apologize.

Manly Man
2014-01-06, 12:31 AM
This would be best in just Roleplaying, not 3.5, since that would free up a lot of creativity.

As for an entry of my own, I'd say that Samurai Jack is a gestalt Warblade 10//Paladin 2/Crusader 8. Gotta make sure that his katana counts as a Holy Avenger, possibly as adamantine instead of cold iron.

CIDE
2014-01-06, 07:53 AM
The thoughts of converting characters over to D&D used to be with me with virtually everything I saw, read, watched, etc. That was until I finally came to the realization that a vast majority of things in media really don't translate over all that way. Or if their abilities translate over their general power level may not match it one way or another.

Metahuman1
2014-01-06, 08:20 AM
Ever looked at your favorite TV, comic, or game icons and wondered what they would look like in D&D? Well, I have, and I wanted to make a place where people could discuss stuff like this. I'll give an example.

Natsu from Fairy Tail. Now, I never watched this series, but apparently he's supposed to be some sort of fire wizard/martial artist who specializes in fire magic. From what I've seen and what I've been told, I have come to the conclusion that he is, in fact, a PsychicWarrior/Monk Unarmed Swordsage Using Dessert Wind and Tiger Claw who also dabbles into Diamond mind, Setting Sun and Stone Dragon/Pyrokineticist.

How about the rest of you? What characters from pop culture stand out to you?

PS: If this was the wrong place to post this, I apologize.

Fixed that for you.

Nightraiderx
2014-01-06, 08:34 AM
Good times, played as lloyd irving who was a pouncing barbarian with the rage alt whirling frenzy wielding two katanas and using stuff like battle jump.
Later on Dipped a level in wizard to make him part abjurrant champion.

And yes, this was before I found ToB.

Uncle Pine
2014-01-06, 09:02 AM
Yeah, that's how I like to build most of my characters. I see something and say "woah, that's cool! I bet I could translate it in d&d terms". This is also why I love 3.5e: everything is possible!
Some of the characters I played:
- Kratos: Warblade 20 (hornless) half-minotaur human (ECL 20), TWF with keen aptitude kukris, lighting maces and blood in the water shenanigans, feral death blow and troll-blooded
- Tarma: Ranger 6/Fighter 2/Deepwood Sniper 2/Peerless Archer 3 human (ECL 13), with two double self-loading quickloading force +1 crossbows heavy machine guns! And sunglasses. :smallcool:
- Pokémon trainer: conjurer wizard with token familiars and smoky confinement.
- GLaDOS: Hexblade 4/Evolutionist 9 warforged (ECL 13), crowd controller fear stacking build with lots of SLAs like charm and dominate.

Nightraiderx
2014-01-06, 09:06 AM
Kratos should've had some levels in Bloodstorm Blade so you can emulate the reach on those blades.

Uncle Pine
2014-01-06, 09:16 AM
Kratos should've had some levels in Bloodstorm Blade so you can emulate the reach on those blades.

Didn't thought about it but yes he could've been cooler. But that's why I made him Large: to get reach. And to look badass.

Darksword
2014-01-06, 09:21 AM
I do this all the time.
When I was young and first getting started with dnd there was a thread on the old wizard forum that created alot of the characters from Naruto using mostly DND Psionics. This was the day before TOB so it could be done even better now days

Dr. Cliché
2014-01-06, 09:51 AM
For me, I'm more inclined to focus on just one or two aspects of a character or creature (for example, it could be an unusual ability or a specific spell) and try to bring them into D&D - either by using existing rules, or even by creating my own.

See, ideally, I want to end up with a character/creature that emulates one or more of the desired aspects, without turning into a carbon copy of said character/creature. Essentially, I want to use those aspects as a basis for my own characters - rather than just making D&D stats for someone else's character.