PDA

View Full Version : Spellthief-more SA dice?

G.Cube
2014-01-06, 08:58 AM
Is there a way to get better SA progression/more SA dice as a Spellthief?

No ToB.

Callin
2014-01-06, 09:04 AM
Depending on your tables rules you could alway multiclass with the generic warrior from UA for 2d6 with 1 lvl and appropriate skill ranks then later on take the second level for a i think (afb) 2d6. So 4d6 for a 2 lvl dip. You can also expanded knowledge for that ranger spell that gives xd6 based on caster lvl. So that can really tally up to tossing a handfull of d6s.

Dread_Head
2014-01-06, 09:05 AM
Dip Rogue, Sneak Attack fighter etc.
If you don't want to lose levels of progressing Steal Spell then take the Master Spellthief feat (probably a good idea anyway) and enter Unseen Seer which progresses SA slightly faster amongst other goodies. One of the goodies is expanded knowledge so you can get the Ranger spell Hunter's Eye which adds +1d6 SA per 3CL.

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-06, 09:46 AM
Craven will give you more damage when you sneak attack, but doesn't add any extra dice per say. +HD damage on a sneak attack isn't to be sneered at though.

Rebel7284
2014-01-06, 09:54 AM
There are also at least two weapon enchants that add +1d6 and +2d6 dice. I recall they have the same name though, so stacking them may be awkward.

Also, taking 2 levels in unseen seer gives you 1d6 sneak attack, progresses casting fully, and allows you to pick up the ranger spell Hunter's Eye to give your sneak attack a large boost using a swift action.

G.Cube
2014-01-06, 10:18 AM
Craven will give you more damage when you sneak attack, but doesn't add any extra dice per say. +HD damage on a sneak attack isn't to be sneered at though.

Useful, but I'm just looking to steal more magic. ;)

Thanks to everyone who's posted thus far. As always the Playground is very helpful!

Fouredged Sword
2014-01-06, 10:52 AM
You want hunter's eye then. It grants you tons of extra sneak attack die, for very little cost, as a swift action. Unseen seer will add sneak attack and add hunter's eye to your spell list.

Dread_Head
2014-01-06, 11:03 AM

Thanks to everyone who's posted thus far. As always the Playground is very helpful!

Rogues Vest and Mantle of the Predator are both items in the Magic Item Compendium that add +1d6 SA.

Also beyond the 1d6 Sneak Attack it takes to steal a spell having more SA makes no difference to what spells you can steal, only adds more damage.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-01-06, 11:48 AM
Hunter's Eye is the ticket. Grab Master Spellthief, dip Unseen Seer to get Hunter's Eye, and giggle.

Person_Man
2014-01-06, 01:03 PM
Craven Feat adds +1 damage per hit die when you Sneak Attack.

Other then that, if you're looking for bonus damage as a RAW Spellthief, your best option is to invest in better spells (wands, staves, etc), not Sneak Attack. Sneak Attack only adds an average of 3.5 damage per hit, against non-immune enemies, when you qualify for Sneak Attack, and it's never multiplied. There are plenty of other better ways to more damage.

You could also consider a homebrew solution (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293150).

Diarmuid
2014-01-06, 01:09 PM

This statement confuses me. Having more sneak attack dice wont let you steal any more magic than you already can.

Per attack, you can only sacrifice a single d6 of Sneak Attack to steal a single spell. You cant sacrifice all of your Sneak Attack dice and steal 1 spell per d6 sacrificed on each attack.

Chronos
2014-01-06, 01:52 PM
He's looking to use multiple class abilities at once (steal spell, steal spell-like ability, steal spell effect, etc.). He's got a question pending in the Simple Q&A thread on whether that's possible; I assume that here he's just planning ahead in case it is.

Diarmuid
2014-01-06, 02:29 PM
Gotcha, hadnt even considered if those could all be used at the same time given enough SA dice to accomodate them.

You could add a wand chamber to your weapon and have Critical Strike put in there to bump your SA by +1d6 as a Swift Action spell.

G.Cube
2014-01-07, 05:20 PM
He's looking to use multiple class abilities at once (steal spell, steal spell-like ability, steal spell effect, etc.). He's got a question pending in the Simple Q&A thread on whether that's possible; I assume that here he's just planning ahead in case it is.

Actually, it wasn't me who actually asked, but yes, this was the idea. Does anyone know what the answer was? I lost the question.