PDA

View Full Version : So, fake Psion Renegade Mastermaker?

CIDE
2014-01-06, 10:37 AM
We are all probably already familiar with the path to ascension. Or Tippy's invention "How I learned to love the psion" (as I personally dub it). For those of you that don't it uses the powers Fusion, Astral Seed, and if you so chose Thought Bottles. Technically it doesn't really require you to be a psion but have Dorjes/stones/whatever for the powers and such.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the Renegade Mastermaker class. Always have been. Not among the strongest but I love the flavor involved and it's not as useless as the Greenstar adept. Problem is without DM fiat psionic classes can't get into it much to my chagrin.

Let's assume for a second that there's no transparency to allow the Psion in question to craft magical constructs. let's also assume in this particular setting there are no Warforged. The Psion however wants construct traits. What's a psion to do...? The psicrystal!

So, assuming a basic human psion with a psicrystal. Probably level 15 since that's both when they get the level 8 powers and also the WBL to buy the Dorjes to use the powers in question without shenanigans.

My question here is about what the Psion gets, exactly, after this fusion.

The power is here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fusion.htm)

So, we need to make the Psicrystal a 'living' creature. Easy; metamorphosis or a skin, etc. Have the method of transformation deactive after the Fusion is made but before it can break apart.

After losing a level your now current hitpoints x1.5
All powers and power points. Nothing special here with the psicrystal
All Feats. Ooh, here we get into some pretty good stuff. You basically just doubled your feats here.
Racial abilities and class features. So +7 natural armor, Hardness 8, construct traits, telepathic speech, flight, power resistance, etc. Except all without removing the human traits such as natural healing, skill points, etc.
Saves, ability scores, hit dice, manifester level, etc is all the higher of the two. nothing fancy here, unless improved psicrystal was used a few times.

So, would this make a poor-man's Warforged here? It technically lacks the living construct subtype of course but it has features of it.

That said it also leaves out a few things. For example, is the fused being a size category between the two creatures now?

Finally, a possibility of somewhat minor cheese. The improved psicrystal feat (or 'The Big Guy is With Me (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1000846)') would obviously boost the end result. Now, here's the tricky part. Since the boosts are no longer applied to a pcristyal in this new fused entity would psychic reformation to redo feats (thus removing all the improved psicrystal feats) remove the improved hit die and everything that goes with it or are those enhancements forever with you? Also, in this fused entity would these extra hit die all be construct hit die? And would it be possible to use thought bottle exploitations to gain negative levels then get the experience back to turn all of those levels into class levels?

Also, for the sake of some santiy and avoiding another Pun-Pun we'll assume the psicrystal fusion was the only one allowed here. No elder brain/phaerim/solar/aleax/ice assassin/whatever added in. Just the psicrystal.