PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Rules Questions for Ninja

Zeromage1
2014-01-06, 11:45 AM
I guess these are pretty simple questions, but I'm new to the Pathfinder world.

(1) Ninja's Ki pool. It says 1/2 your level. Is this rounded up or down? I don't see this in any rules.

(2) A Ninja has combat reflexes with a dex bonus of 4. Five enemies are charging the party and the ninja is invisible with "Vanishing Trick" in between the heroes and the enemies. As the enemies pass by the Ninja does he get 5 attacks of opportunity with all of them receiving sneak attack damage. Or does just the first one get sneak attack damage?

Thanks a lot for the help in advance, guys.

Karoht
2014-01-06, 01:08 PM
I guess these are pretty simple questions, but I'm new to the Pathfinder world.There is a main thread entitled "Simple Q&A For Pathfinder" and questions like these are perfect to go there. Just a note for future reference, not a chiding.

(1) Ninja's Ki pool. It says 1/2 your level. Is this rounded up or down? I don't see this in any rules.Assume round down unless it says otherwise.

(2) A Ninja has combat reflexes with a dex bonus of 4. Five enemies are charging the party and the ninja is invisible with "Vanishing Trick" in between the heroes and the enemies. As the enemies pass by the Ninja does he get 5 attacks of opportunity with all of them receiving sneak attack damage. Or does just the first one get sneak attack damage?Vanishing Trick works just like the spell Vanish, which breaks the moment you attack your first target.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/vanish
So while you can get Sneak Attack damage on the first Attack of Opportunity (AoO), you would no longer be invisible, therefore no longer catch your opponents flat footed, therefore no more sneak attack damage on the remaining attacks.
However, if your positioning ends with you flanking the target (and the target isn't somehow immune to flanking) you could still AoO and deal Sneak Attack damage (though remember, you only get one AoO per target).

Tip: Smoke Bombs and a Goz Mask (allows you to see through all smoke and fog effects) are a very reliable method for getting flat footed targets, AoO's, and the like, especially combo'd with invisibility. If you don't want to use Ki on Smoke Bombs, use an Eversmoking Bottle.
If your party complains about the smoke, get them to purchase Goz Masks as well, then the get to hit flat footed targets as well, so long as they are in the smoke. Goz Mask + Eversmoking Bottle totals together for around 14K, mask is 8K.

grarrrg
2014-01-06, 09:52 PM
(1) Ninja's Ki pool. It says 1/2 your level. Is this rounded up or down? I don't see this in any rules.
Assume round down unless it says otherwise.

To elaborate a little bit:
The default rule (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/getting-started) is to round EVERYTHING down.

Zeromage1
2014-01-07, 09:13 AM
Follow up question:

You said if you were flanking them it is still sneak attack damage.

x x

x x

x x

O

Let's say the enemies are the "x"s and the Ninja is the "O". As they run by would they be flanked, since their sides would be facing the ninja as they run past?

Psyren
2014-01-07, 10:09 AM
No - flanking means that they are between you and an ally. There is no "facing" in D&D or Pathfinder, so there are technically no "sides" for the Ninja to hit. Once the Ninja is visible, it's treated as though they're facing him even if they run past.

Sidenote 1: There isn't really a good way in the rules to represent a crowd of guys all charging simultaneously. Once combat started they'd kind of be taking turns to run at the party, which means the Ninja would slash at the first one, get sneak attack, but break invisibility and the others would see him.

Sidenote 2: How exactly are they charging the party? If they're actually using the charge action they'll be okay, but if they're just running (without the Run feat) they will lose their Dex bonus to AC and all of them will be vulnerable to SA even if the Ninja is visible.

Zeromage1
2014-01-07, 10:14 AM
No - flanking means that they are between you and an ally. There is no "facing" in D&D or Pathfinder, so there are technically no "sides" for the Ninja to hit. Once the Ninja is visible, it's treated as though they're facing him even if they run past.

Sidenote 1: There isn't really a good way in the rules to represent a crowd of guys all charging simultaneously. Once combat started they'd kind of be taking turns to run at the party, which means the Ninja would slash at the first one, get sneak attack, but break invisibility and the others would see him.

Sidenote 2: How exactly are they charging the party? If they're actually using the charge action they'll be okay, but if they're just running (without the Run feat) they will lose their Dex bonus to AC and all of them will be vulnerable to SA even if the Ninja is visible.

Oh, okay, thanks for clearing up the flanking. I don't think they used charge, I think they were just running.

Zeromage1
2014-01-07, 10:15 AM
So, for attacks of opportunity, let me see if I have this straight:

If someone WALKS by you, they have DEX bonus.

If someone RUNS by you, they have no DEX bonus.

If someone CHARGES by you, they have DEX bonus.

Am I understanding that right?

Psyren
2014-01-07, 10:18 AM
So, for attacks of opportunity, let me see if I have this straight:

If someone WALKS by you, they have DEX bonus.

If someone RUNS by you, they have no DEX bonus.

If someone CHARGES by you, they have DEX bonus.

Am I understanding that right?

Correct. Note that a run is twice the speed of a charge. (Triple speed if they have the Run feat, and they keep their dex bonus.)

Zeromage1
2014-01-07, 10:19 AM
Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Karoht
2014-01-07, 06:24 PM
No problem.
Join us in the Simple Pathfinder Q & A if you have more questions. Lots of people there to bounce questions off, usually makes for a speedy reply.