PDA

View Full Version : Staggering Lions, Tentacles, and other Drunken Stupors

GhengisConrad
2014-01-06, 02:13 PM
A ha!

Everything and anything except Unearthed Arcana is on the table here. But we are pure RAW. When in doubt, it's not legal.

Don't worry about magic items and the such, as those are not a 'baked in' quality, and its only the classes, races, and feats you're in control of here.

I would love some advice! Thoughts, comments. Glaringly obvious omissions of must-have abilities.

The whole idea is to sneak or otherwise bullrush myself into a position to just drop down on people, and then unleash a fury of attack death upon them.

Oh, and also to be tough as nails to boot.

Kind of like a drunken catapault filled with invisible smart bomb... tanks ... .... title and analogy still WIP

Kind of phoning it in the last 4 or 5 levels. If you can think of a good capstone or nifty feature I could use better with those last 4 levels, that'd be cool.

Thoughts MORE than welcome! Thanks!

Anthropomorphicic Bat
1) Feral / 0
2) Half Minotaur / 0
3) ACF* Ranger/ 1 / Stealthy / Mourning Mutate / +2 dmg with right leg UA
4) ACF* Ranger / 1 / Multiattack
5) Cleric / 0 / Hunger - 1d6 Bite / Dwarf - Great Fortitude / Inhuman Reach
6) Martial Monk/ 0 / Dodge
7) Martial Monk/ 1 / Evasion / Power Attack
8) Drunken Master/ 0 / Improvised Weapons / +1d4 with right leg UA / DeepSpawn
9) Drunken Master / 1 / Stagger
10) Lion Barbarian / 1 / Pounce
11) Incarnate / 0 / Improved MultiAttack
12) Umbral Disciple / 0
13) Umbral Disciple / 1
14) Umbral Disciple / 1 / HiPS / 30% Conceal / Dark Stalker
15) Scout / 0 / 1d6 skirmish
16) Fist of the Forest / 1 / Con Bonus - AC / 1d8 Unarmed
17) Fist of the Forest / 1 / Untamed Strike / Extended Reach
18) Fighter / 1 / Combat Reflexes
19) Fighter / 1 / Improved Trip
20) Incarnate / 1 / Dragon's Toughness

* Ranger Variants: Dragon #310, Trade Track Feat for Stealthy Feat; Complete Champion pg 50 Spiritual Connection, Use 'speak with animals' and 'speak with plants' as caster level equal your ranger level up to 3 times per day instead of wild emplathy; Champions of Valor pg 41 Fangshields Ranger; Replace Combat Style with Multiattack feat, improved animal companion for ranger - one half ranger level plus 2

GhengisConrad
2014-01-07, 02:26 AM
What do you think of *THIS*?!

sub-op?

I've given it quite a few updates since my first post.

I'd love some thoughts on it.

It's kinda built for like a 1 v 1 low magic arena.

The idea is to maximize AC and Damage.

EugeneVoid
2014-01-13, 12:15 AM
If you're okay with cheese, use Martial Monks to get Epic Feats

(Now, I'm hiding from the potential impending argument)

Edit: You can buy off LA

Irk
2014-01-17, 04:59 AM
I'd drop the incarnate levels and just dip two levels of totemist for girallon arms, which is a far better soul meld than soulspark.

Vaz
2014-01-17, 06:24 AM
If you're okay with cheese, use Martial Monks to get Epic Feats

(Now, I'm hiding from the potential impending argument)

Edit: You can buy off LA

That doesn't work. Epic Fighter feats are defined as epic fighter feats, while Martial Monk only allows Fighter feats.

What do you want from this build? Combat power? It's a bit all over the shop. It can't really scout all that well, doesn't really hit all that hard (in comparison) in combat compared to Initiators or even Totemists, both of whom can afford a bit more flexibility in their builds.

This is looking around T4, for comparison.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-17, 11:08 AM
Looking for massive damage and survivability.

I'm open to suggestion. I'm admittedly bad at optimization. I tend to have a problem seeing the forest through the trees.

In my campaign, if its not something you can do all day, its not very useful. There are 14,400 rounds in a day. We use most of them fighting.

If its an item you are depending on, you better get comfortable with the idea of it getting stolen, broken, or otherwise disappeared.

P.S. I updated, no soulspark. Still looking at 1 level of incarnate though, for the slight bonuses etc from their melds, and to get into Umbral Deciple.

Vaz
2014-01-17, 11:59 AM
How high OP are you? What is the rest of your party make up? What level are you starting at? What are you needing to finish at? Are there any rules pertaining to the game (i.e alignments etc).

Binder 20 or Totemist 4/Incarnate16 are the typical ways i like building reasonably powerful builds for mid tier. Alternatively a Warlock or the Dragonfire Initiate for lower tier.

Hide in plain sight can be got via Dark Template gained from a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis; if in Faerun ask if you can use the Cormyr version for the better Su version.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-17, 12:37 PM
high op as possible, but we play with weird restrictions.

mostly my problem, like i said, is that i am single minded, and have a very difficult time seeing the obvious.

your saying, whut? if i want to be strong i should just stick with one class and fewer dips?

dark template is cool, but its another level adjustment. also, i want concealment more than i want HiPS. is this another situation where id clearly be better off with going pure totemist or binder instead?

Vaz
2014-01-17, 12:55 PM
Wizard, Cleric, Druid, Psion, Archivist or Artificer are strongest classes you can make. You can arguably make them stronger with certain classes (Contemplative, Planar Shepherd, etc) but those are corner cases.

Level adjustment makes you weaker. It is rare that it provides any actual benefit that at minimum another class cannot match.

Dark Template is free from Collar of Umbral Metamophosis. Fellmist robe provides concealment.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-17, 01:54 PM
Fell mist robe doesn't work so well when you are face to face, and wizard, yeah, situationally powerful, but they need time to buff, someone to help them, or they simply run out of spells, no? like i said, we play all 14,400 rounds in a day, and wizards just dont survive to level 20.

We start at level 5.

Vaz
2014-01-17, 02:14 PM
You get Extended Ropetrick. 15 minute adventuring begins here.

Neraph can Astral Project and PlanarTravel with polymorph and Assume Supernatural Ability by going into Nightmare form. If feats are limited use WBL breaking tricks to get Dark Chaos Shuffle.

EugeneVoid
2014-01-17, 07:01 PM
Big 6 > Other classes past level 9ish excluding unusual amounts of cheese.
If you want to be a melee beatstick go Cleric 20 and wreck stuff. Make people cry by going Cleric 10/Dweomerkeeper 10.
By adding more Prcs you can get crazier, but really there's no point past a certain point.
You'll end up with those Tainted Scholar Beholder Mage Darklight Wizard monstrosities.

You could always go with the gold standard and use a charging character. I guarantee you'll one-shot anything you touch past a certain point.

Just slap on:
Shock Trooper
Power Attack
Leap Attack
Improved Bullrush

And you can smack anything to death in 1 charge.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-18, 10:09 AM
You get Extended Ropetrick. 15 minute adventuring begins here.

Neraph can Astral Project and PlanarTravel with polymorph and Assume Supernatural Ability by going into Nightmare form. If feats are limited use WBL breaking tricks to get Dark Chaos Shuffle.

That's kinda why we are developing the 'arena style' you can see in my sig.

The 5 minutes prone thing exempts abusing Rope Trick.

Basically, to RPG at our table, your build needs to be pre-approved by not losing by a certain margin in our arena.

This is our way to 'ban' certain things, without actually banning them.

I've yet to account for Shock Trooper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324057), and am thinking heavily about a way to disarm it for fun/profit. The 'Elusive Target' feat seems dangerous enough. Need to look into it more.

Leap Attack isn't so bad (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326121)...

But I mean, I've tried (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16766764)...

Vaz
2014-01-18, 01:32 PM
Not sure what you're asking, still. you want High Op, but counter every High OP trick around.

And still not sure why D&D equates to arena play either.

Irk
2014-01-18, 02:26 PM
Ok, to win, all you need to do is rue mind switch into shadowsteel golem wearing psychoactive skin t be immune to spells with SR, then take a level of the pugilist variant to be immune to damage. then just lie around prone as as everyone else beats on you. Lasts all day everyday FOREVER.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-18, 02:47 PM
yeah, i dont really think in a straight line.

what you are observing is me just kinda rolling ideas around in my head.

for me, the game is all about just kinda evolving a build. learning and exploring new ideas, concepts, abilities.

what i am looking for, is a suggestion to replace a part of the build with something else that will either make you hit harder, or be harder to hit.

at my table, for sake of pride at least, youve got to be able to do the thing you do, all day, without limit. thats just the type of challenge that is fun for us.

and it sounds to me right now, like the answer is 'just put leap attack, shock trooper, and imp. bullr' onto everything. if that is uncounterable and hands down the required combo, then fine, it just seems to sap flavor by hinging every build off 3 fighter feats.