PDA

View Full Version : Simple Encounter Help: 3.5 Level 1 "Training"

Shiloh
2014-01-06, 03:15 PM
Okay, so I've been playing D&D for a while now (a new user to these forums, although I've used them for reference quite a bit), and I've done some simple DM'ing for some minor things. Now, though, I'm getting a group together to run sessions, and I'm the DM as I have the most experience (only two others in the group have played before, and it was essentially a mechanical session with me proto-DM'ing for them).

Basically, for the first few sessions, I'm going to let them experiment with different first-level character builds, strategies, and everything to simply learn the mechanics of the game. I have a good idea of the plan for the first session, and I have a map made out. I'm going to let them pick from the core races and classes, although encourage them to make orc or half-orc barbarians, or maybe human fighters (obviously a mix would also be fine) simply because I think that would make for the easiest way of learning basics. As this (possibly ragtag, possibly mercenary, possibly something else depending on how they make their characters) party is traveling through a great forest, they discover a goblin camp.

Now, with the group of people I have and their general lack of experience, I have no doubt at all that they will immediately attack this camp, and I have a plan to make the encounter simple, straightforward, and easy enough. However, for the "boss" if you will, I'm stuck on a few things. I know I want him as a hobgoblin fighter (all other enemies will be goblin warriors, a few adepts, and maybe a cleric). However, there are two major things I would like help with:

1) Support when the party faces him. I don't particularly want to throw a camp of 20-40+ goblins led by a PC class hobgoblin at them (which is why I'm considering making this a mercenary raid on a goblinoid lair instead), although I suppose it's possible if they handle it badly. What I need help on: This isn't a regular CR 1/2 hobgoblin out of the monster manual, it's roughly CR 3/4-1 1/4 (I'd estimate 1). I want the encounter to be challenging, but not impossible, so how many goblin minions should he have supporting him when the players fight him? Should he get reinforced throughout the fight? Any supernatural help? I'm leaning towards the help of two to four warriors and an adept or two, but I don't know if I should adjust that.

2) This one's more specific: I gave the hobgoblin weapon focus with his halberd, and I'm trying to decide on his other feat (one for first level, one fighter bonus feat). What I need help on: I'm caught between improved initiative, which I know is an important advantage especially against low-dexterity characters, and combat expertise, which can be brutally effective if used correctly. I'm also considering power attack, but improved initiative and combat expertise are the two main ones.

Additionally, any other advice would be gladly welcomed if you have any. Just to clarify on one thing I expect I may receive, however: I am not going to use a premade adventure, since this is simply a training session and what I'm doing, rather than a full campaign, requires less effort than a premade one and is still a fun way to teach everyone the rules.

And finally, thank you!

Shiloh
2014-01-06, 06:12 PM
Also, concerning tactics: I know hobgoblins are good strategists, but are they the type to run away to save their own hide, or rather should this hobgoblin fighter (fighting alongside goblins rather than other hobgoblins) have a pressing honor that makes him prefer to stay and fight? If it's an either-or/my choice as DM, I'll probably go with the former.