PDA

View Full Version : Best armor and weapons to get?

Tobi(00)
2014-01-06, 07:32 PM
im a lvl 8 gutter mage and i have 27,000 gp i need some suggestions for some good light armor and weapons for my character i dont know where to find any if you could help it wouldbe greatly appreciated
:)

Invader
2014-01-06, 07:37 PM
I'm not really familiar with 3rd party material but I'd assume light armor with as little ASF as possible if it's at all similar to your standard wizard.

Devronq
2014-01-06, 07:40 PM
If you have a mithral chain skirt and you add the twilight properties it has 0% arcane spell failure and -0 check penalty so you can wear it with no worries at all as an arcane caster.
Edit: also what is a gutter mage and why do you need a weapon?

Tobi(00)
2014-01-06, 07:42 PM
those sound good guys thanks anyone have any links?

Callin
2014-01-06, 07:46 PM
Add the Dastana from Oriental Adventures to that chain shirt.

Invader
2014-01-06, 07:47 PM
those sound good guys thanks anyone have any links?

A lot of things can be difficult to link too because it has to be an official wotc site as per the forum rules. In this case Google is your friend.

Zanos
2014-01-06, 07:48 PM
If you have a mithral chain skirt and you add the twilight properties it has 0% arcane spell failure and -0 check penalty so you can wear it with no worries at all as an arcane caster.

Mithral, Githcraft(DMG II) and Thistledown Padding(Races of the Wild) will get you a 0 AF 0 ACP chain shirt for cheaper.

Invader
2014-01-06, 07:49 PM
If you have a mithral chain skirt and you believe e he twilight properties it has 0% arcane spell failure and -0 check penalty so you can wear it with no worries at all as an arcane caster.

IIRC it's a roguish/wizard class with pretty stunted casting. I believe spellthief is fairly equivalent style wise but better mechanically.

Tobi(00)
2014-01-06, 07:58 PM

i dont really need a weapon but i can sneak attack

Darth Stabber
2014-01-06, 09:21 PM
Mithril breastplate is a solid option, especially if the class can freely cast in light armor. It has a max Dex bonus of 5, full speed, and 0 acp (unless mithril and masterwork don't stack then it becomes an acp of 1, so still fairly small). If asf is still a factor it starts with only 15% so you can bring that to 0% fairly easily.

Captnq
2014-01-06, 09:36 PM
Sigh.

Go HERE (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=11953.msg204497#msg204497). and get the EVD.

Weapons? Do you do Ray attacks? A Deathwand Sorcerer's hand Grapple Crossbow with Gnome Crossbow Sight, Wand Chamber, Oil Chamber and Triple Weapon Capsle Retainer is about the best simple ranged weapon you can get. Stack on as many WSAs as you want. (Deathwand and Sorcerer's Hand are: EVD/Combat Equipment/Weapon Special Abilities Extrapolated. Use the Weapon Special Abilities for stuff to stack on. Exit wound and Splitting are the obvious choices because they will multiply your ray attacks.

Armor... Well. Lots of that. I'm rather fond of the Bondleaf wrap. However, you want light armor, eh? Where is that tricked out... Ah. Here it is.

THAALUD STONE ARMOR
- ANAUROCH: THE EMPIRE OF SHADE (3.5)
Heavy Armor
[Stone]
Cost: 2,800 gp
Armor Bonus: +12
Max Dex Bonus: +0
Armor Check Penalty: -8
Arcane Spell Failure: 40%
Speed: 20 ft/15 ft
Weight: 180 lbs

Editor: What can you say about the best suit of armor you can buy. The only thing that comes close is nightscale, and you would need a Dex of 30 to take full advantage of it. As a druid, you could replace the metal joints with darkwood. Otherwise, massive AC, no dex bonus., The ACP could be worse, and the ASF is a 40. So with Githcraft, Thistledown, blended quartz, and twilight (+1 ASA), you could get the ASF down to 0. Add halfweight for a +3 ASA and it becomes light armor and you can move at normal speed in it (or wear it as a barbarian). The only ones who won’t like this are high dex characters and skill monkey’s. The weight is a bit of a pain, but a good fighter maxes out his dex anyways. If you want raw AC, this is the best armor you can buy, and it isn’t the most expensive, either. Mechanus Gear is actually a step down in almost every way. You’d think something that was made of gears and crap would be top of the line, but nope.

The details are in EVD/Combat Equipment/Armor v1.02.doc

Also look at the Armor Special Abilties doc for additional Armor enhancements.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-06, 09:41 PM
Is a gutter Mage like a wizard with a drinking problem?