PDA

View Full Version : How cool is Totem Avatar Shoulder Bind?

GhengisConrad
2014-01-06, 08:07 PM
Whenever I find myself bending over backwards to gain some ability, I have to ask myself, just how cool this thing I am after is, and if there is a better way.

Totem Avatar Shoulder Bind does this:

"Your natural weapons (whether from soulmelds or other
sources) deal damage as if you were one size category larger."

my natural attacks are

Horns 1d6
Claw 1d8
Claw 1d8
Tentacle 1d4
Tentacle 1d4
Monk Kick 1d6

I'm a level 12 (ECL 14) character, and I am reaching deep into my build, to get totemist and open the shoulder chakra so that I can boost those natural attacks, and benefit from the unbound melds of course.

We do not play by the interpretation that "open x chakra" also grants the epic feat "extra chakra bind" as a bonus feat. In my builds, 2 levels of Totemist + Open Shoulder Chakra results in one Shoulder bind, and unbound melds.

With the up-size my natural attacks become

Horns 1d8 (Statistical gain of +1)
Claw 2d6 (Statistical gain of +2.5)
Claw 2d6 (Statistical gain of +2.5)
Tentacle 1d6 (Statistical gain of +1)
Tentacle 1d6 (Statistical gain of +1)
Monk Kick 1d8 (Statistical gain of +1)

This is a statistical net damage gain of 9 extra damage at level twelve in my nat.attack pounce build for 2 dips and a feat.

Worth it?

Build link in the sig.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-01-06, 08:12 PM
Not sure how tight you are but... probably not, no. It's probably easier to just go up a size category or two.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-06, 08:14 PM
being large is a... liability.... in our campaigns...

Eonas
2014-01-06, 08:29 PM
I think size increases aren't interesting at all when you're dealing with 1d4->1d6 type things. When you start going from 2d6 to 3d6, however, THEN that's something to go home about. You need to stack size increases (such as with Improved Natural Attack), or else don't bother.

danzibr
2014-01-06, 08:32 PM
Without more size increases or natural attacks, it seems rather underwhelming.

Dread_Head
2014-01-06, 08:35 PM
You'd be better off going something with full BAB and taking Power Attack if you can't increase your die sizes larger than that. You'll get +2 BAB instead of +1 so for the same to hits you can invest one of those points into PA for +1 damage instead and come out pretty much even. As much extra damage on all the attacks except the claws and having PA is more versatile in your build.

Edit: Just looked at your build, you're already taking Power Attack so this frees up a feat and 2 levels for very nearly the same amount of damage increase. I mean you miss out on the other soulmeldy stuff but you keep complaining about being feat starved so this seems an obvious way to help mitigate that.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-06, 08:38 PM
Well, I do go Fist of the Forest later, so I do get the stacking effect to a sort. And, yeah, I can always take Improved Natural Attack to bump up, only one of my natural attacks. But I can go from 2d6 to 3d6.. on each of my claw attacks? Statistically 7 bonus damage for one feat... still.. worth it?

GhengisConrad
2014-01-06, 08:39 PM
You'd be better off going something with full BAB and taking Power Attack if you can't increase your die sizes larger than that. You'll get +2 BAB instead of +1 so for the same to hits you can invest one of those points into PA for +1 damage instead and come out pretty much even. As much extra damage on all the attacks except the claws and having PA is more versatile in your build.

I LIKE STATISTICALLY MINDED RESPONSES!

+37 POINTS FOR YOUR ANALYSIS, SIR!

Coidzor
2014-01-06, 08:42 PM
We do not play by the interpretation that "open x chakra" also grants the epic feat "extra chakra bind" as a bonus feat. In my builds, 2 levels of Totemist + Open Shoulder Chakra results in one Shoulder bind, and unbound melds.

Well, your phrasing could do with a little bit of work.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-06, 08:44 PM
Well, your phrasing could do with a little bit of work.

Coidzor, there is alot about me that could do with a little bit of work...

OldTrees1
2014-01-06, 09:29 PM
Weapon dice tend to be negligible (extra damage like Str is everything). Doubly so for size increases to those weapon dice.

So no, it is not worth it.

tyckspoon
2014-01-06, 09:40 PM
If you're looking for damage, binding Lamia belt (2 More claws) plus Shape Soulmeld: thunder step boots (1d4 + d4 per essential sonic on a charge) is probably a better use of a dip and a feat.