PDA

View Full Version : How to build a Sagelock? Glaivesage?

Selniis
2014-01-06, 09:14 PM
I've read the Warlock handbook threads, and most of the Swordsage threads. At least the ones I could find. But at no point does it offer any advice for merging the two.

I'm trying to build a Warlock/Swordsage combo that exploits the swordsage Stances and swift-action boosts when applied to Warlock melee abilities. Some background first:
I know Eldritch Glaive isn't a weapon, but Unarmed Strike feats can affect it and Eldritch Blast, so some martial maneuvers should still apply so long as they only take a Swift action to use (the strikes are out, but Boosts could work, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Aside from that one tentative statement, I have no idea how to proceed. What should the ratio of Sword Sage to Warlock levels be? Is there a better option for this class fusion that Eldritch Glaive? What martial maneuvers would compliment this best? Is the entire attempt a fool's errand?

I'd be very appreciative of any help. Thank you.

malonkey1
2014-01-07, 12:27 AM
Alright. First, let's look at boosts that would be available purely from your Swordsage disciplines:

Boulder Roll: Unlikely unless you have a weirdly specialized Overrun build. Basically, you gain a bonus to an overrun check and don't get AoOs when overrunning.
Burning Blade: +1d6+IL fire damage to melee attacks. Not unwelcome, but fire damage is not hard for enemies to resist.
Burning Brand: Not much use, except for the reach, as it just converts your weapon damage to fire damage. Cool for thematics, though.
Cloak of Deception: Instant greater invisibility for one turn. Might be good for a getaway, or if you intend to use Assassin's Stance for a Sneak Attack.
Dancing Mongoose: Depending on how "weapon" is determined, you could use this pretty well, getting an extra attack with your Glaive.
Distracting Ember: Creates a fire elemental for a round to help you flank an enemy. Meh, might be handy for a little extra attack bonus or Assassin's Stance sneak attacking. You have better uses for your swift actions.
Fountain of Blood: Deal an extra 1d6 damage when dropping a foe to -1 or less HP, force a will save for nearby enemies or they're shaken. Good for a killing blow and a little battlefield debuff, but pretty situational.
Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip: Basically, deal extra damage after hitting with multiple attacks. Completely useless with Glaive, but if you were running a Clawlock build, you could have some serious killing power.
Inferno Blade: Like Burning Blade, only better (3d6+IL). If you get a choice between the two, choose this one.
Moment of Alacrity: If you want good Initiative, take this. +20 to your Init until the end of the encounter. You're nearly guaranteed to go first.
Quicksilver Motion: This could be awesome if you wanted to, say, close and make a full attack. Basically, take a move action by spending a swift action.
Raging Mongoose: Make two attacks with weapons you wield. Basically Dancing Mongoose: The Revenge.
Searing Blade: 2d6+IL fire damage to a melee attack. The intermediate of the Burning and Inferno Blade maneuvers.
Sudden Leap: If you have a good Jump check, you could use this to close some real distance. Combine it with the Leaps and Bounds Invocation for best results.
Wind Stride: Meeeeeeeh. +10 to your land speed for a round? Pass.

Now, for the boosts in other Disciplines:

Defensive Rebuke: If you hit a guy after activating this, he provokes an AoO from you when he attacks. The only Devoted Spirit Boost, this is really good for battlefield control, offering many chances to punish enemies.
Iron Heart Endurance: Instant healing in dire straits. Not bad for when in a pinch.
Scything Blade: Attack a second enemy right after the first. Not bad, not great.
Clarion Call: If you drop an enemy, activate this to let all your friend move or attack. Fighting with the White Raven Discipline is a team sport.
Covering Strike: Best if you have lots of allies who are provoking AoOs, or there's an enemy Crusader/Spiked-Chain-User who's giving you trouble.
Lion's Roar: Drop an enemy, allies deal +5 damage on attacks. Not a big bonus, but it's there.
White Raven Tactics: Targetted ally moves directly behind you in initiative and acts on that turn, even if they've already acted. Get another guy with this maneuver for the double-turn shuffle!

All in all, I'd say your best bet is to work for the extra attack or extra damage boosts, or take the Diamond Mind counters for better saves. Personally, I would actually go Glaivelock/Unarmed Swordsage. (Glaivelock being a melee Warlock that uses the Eldritch Claw (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Eldritch_Claws) feat from Dragon Magazine.) That way, you can pump you Unarmed Strike damage, which figures directly into your Eldritch Claw Damage, plus you can get more mileage out of the Mongoose boost and Burning/Searing/Inferno Blade, as well as opening up the use of strikes. Glaivelock really doesn't compare to Clawlock when it comes to ToB use.

gorfnab
2014-01-07, 01:26 AM
From the Warlock Information Compilation (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2997.0)

“Phoenix Nightcrawler” (ToB)

Human Swordsage 1/ Warlock 6/SS +1/Telflammar Shadowlord 4/JPM 8

Swordsage 1: Quick to Act +1, discipline focus (weapon focus), Cloak of Deception, 5 others, Dodge, Mobility
Warlock 1: Least invocation,
Warlock 2: Least invocation, Detect Magic, Blind fight
Warlock 3: DR 1/cold iron
Warlock 4: Least Invocation, Decieve Item
Warlock 5: Spring Attack
Warlock 6: Flee the Scene
Swordsage 2: AC bonus, Assassin’s Stance, 1 maneuver (3rd)
Telflammar Shadowlord 1: Shadowsight, shadow jump, Quicken: Flee the Scene
Telflammar Shadowlord 2: Shadow blur
Telflammar Shadowlord 3: Shadow walk
Telflammar Shadowlord 4: Shadow pounce, Adaptive Style
JPM 1: +1 Man. known (4th) (Searing Blade), arcane wrath, rite of waking
JPM 2: Mystic phoenix stance
JPM 3: +1 Man. known (5th) (Leaping Flame), +1 Man. readied, Shadow Stride
JPM 4: Empowering strike
JPM 5: +1 Man. known (6th) (Rallying Strike), +1 stance
JPM 6: +1 Man. readied, Firebird stance, Jade Phoenix master, Feat
JPM 7: +1 Man. known (7th) (Inferno Blade)
JPM 8: Quickening strike

BAB 16; F/R/W: 9/11/11; Casts as Warlock 12 (6d6 blast, 1 Greater invocation)

Another option would be Swordsage 1/ Warlock 6/ Swordsage 1/ Telflammar Shadowlord 6/ Arcane Trickster 6 - requires the Spell Hand feat or Whisper Gnome race to meet the Mage Hand prereq of Arcane Trickster.

Selniis
2014-01-08, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the assist. I really appreciate it.

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-08, 12:17 PM
Your best bet is to take a look (several good looks) at Shinken's Melee Guide to Warlocks, but I'll sum up what I got from it.

Fortunately the Warlock is one of the very few NAD classes (I can't think of another one, actually) so it always has the potential to mix very well with any class out there.

How I'd go about it: Build an unarmed swordsage (There have been quite a lot of threads about it in the past week) and get with just a 1 or 2 level dip in Warlock (although you might want to head further in to pile up the d6's):
-Practiced Spellcaster (which has been subject to a lot of debate, just like everything nice the Warlock gets, but if what you need is arguments to convince your DM this works then say so) to advance your EB progression.
-Eldritch Claws to grow your claws. This feat will get you everything
-Beast Strike to PUNCH with your claws

Focus on boosts and counters to get the best out of both your maneuvers and attacks.

I always like to have the trusty glaive back there in my repertoire just in case I want to tone down the savagery a bit and play defensively or just to know I'm gonna be hitting this turn... Touch Attacks are so pretty.

If you want to head further into Warlock, you totally can (and are going to have to if your DM is adamant on not letting P. Spellcaster work on EB).

I would personally focus on Tiger Claw and Shadow Hand and Diamond Mind, but you get many fine goodies from other schools.

Pretties you don't want to pass up:
-Sudden Leap + Leaping Dragon Stance! Why move around the battlefield like a legged mortal when you can deftly change positions as a swift action in the coolest, most ninja way possible? Well actually the most ninja way possible would be... the Shadow Jaunt-Blink line, but you shouldn't stick with one or the other. Mobility has never been less of an issue.

Dips/PrC that may be worth looking into:
-SA Fighter 2. 2d6 SA for two levels? Quite pretty, specially if you're milking the Shadow Hand.
-Shou Disciple. Very Solid.
-Binder 2 + Improved Binding, a little bit more costly than SA Fighter but it's another way of getting 2d6 sneak attack (By binding Andromalius), but it also gets you miscellaneous stuff. Idk, it's worth mentioning.

Hope I helped!

Urpriest
2014-01-08, 12:32 PM
From the Warlock Information Compilation (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2997.0)

Another option would be Swordsage 1/ Warlock 6/ Swordsage 1/ Telflammar Shadowlord 6/ Arcane Trickster 6 - requires the Spell Hand feat or Whisper Gnome race to meet the Mage Hand prereq of Arcane Trickster.

Those are both Clawlocks, though. OP wants a Glaivelock.