PDA

View Full Version : Nexus [Nexus] The Rock of Aegis

Pages : [1] 2

UncleWolf
2014-01-06, 09:44 PM
http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/oots12321/Other/AegisEmblem_zpsb2277d91.png

(Symbol made by Gulaghar)

Several days out from Inside and Riverside and any other city lays a sprawling field of yellow poppy flowers that stretch for miles (http://i.imgur.com/0ZI4GOW.jpg). Interspersed in those fields are large rocky hills covered in small trees. Through it all, weaving in and out of the hills and poppies is a single dirt path about 15ft wide. It leads to a large open area with a large spire in the center, surrounded by a large complex of buildings and a series of three enclosed stone walls, each higher than the previous. Despite the new residents, the outer most wall seems to be in poor repair with holes still blasted in them from some sort of artillery or great magic.

Within those walls are many dozen small one-room buildings and several larger ones including a stable and a Temple Hall that are built into the spire itself. There are even more chambers built into the spire, but they either don't have a purpose yet or haven't been cleared of debris. Overall, many of the buildings are still in ruins from some great battle that took place decades before and there are still skeletons that can be found here or there should one look close enough, many of which are still wearing rusted armor and clutching weathered weapons. Even though Aequitus and Cheko's Kobolds gave any they found a proper burial, they didn't have the capability nor time to find all of them. Any that are found are buried with their gear.

The Temple Hall is built into the Spire itself and is the entrance to a large series of tunnels that honeycomb throughout the rock, leading to various places like the Chapel of Gods at the very peak and to the Hangers and Hatchery on the left and right side respectively. Going down ends in what appears to be a series of mine shafts. Rich veins of Mithral, Loran Crystals, and Uranium fill each of the shafts though the last has been sealed shut per Aequitus' orders.

Overall, the fortress seems rather unfinished, still being constructed, but it is certainly habitable now.

The goals of Aegis are simple ones.

To protect those who cannot protect themselves.
To vanquish the forces of tyranny and oppression.
To be merciful when others refuse to be.
To be charitable when others are in need.
To sacrifice when nothing else is left.

Taking the path of Aegis is not an easy one, one that is filled with danger and peril. There is no guarantee of a long life once a person chooses this.

May The Light protect you all.

Techno-Paladin Aequitus - Wolfbane
Cheko, Kobold Leader - LDK

Kobold Masons: 50 Kobolds. Most are NPCs and can be godmoddable. They are apparently Cute.

Outer Wall - 10ftx10ft, filled with holes that have yet to be repaired and topped with locked hatches. Iron Portcullis at the Gate House.
Second Wall - 20ftx20ft, Solid stone, good repair and a couple minor holes. Heavy Wooden Doors and Iron Portcullis.
Innermost Wall - 30ftx30ft - Solid Stone, Reinforced by steel. Perfect repairs. Heavy Steel and Mithral Reinforced Wooden Doors with Iron Portcullis. Gate is laced with Mithral. Crenelated walls.
Houses: Single room stone houses with wooden roofs and fire places.
Stables: 20 Horse stable, halfway between the innermost gate and the Temple Hall.
Dragon Hatchery: Large steamy chamber warmed to tropical temperatures and filled with large basins of water under massive sets of heat lamps.
Hanger: The Hanger used to be solid stone, but when the large attack happened to destroy the fortress the first time, a large chunk was blasted out of the Spire, leaving a 'cove' capable of housing large vehicles of all shapes and sizes. Currently lacks doors and is only covered in thick canvas for a roof.
Temple of the Gods: The Temple is a single chamber filled with pews and adorned with ragged banners of ages long lost to time. The only altar there is a small table covered in molten candle wax, holy symbols, and small statues devoted to all manner of gods.
Library: Uncovered but unexplored as of yet. Lower levels, above the mine shafts.
Mines: The mines are deep and long, dwarven make, and lead to Uranium, Loran Crystals, and Mithral. Uranium shaft is currently sealed shut by a large boulder.

UncleWolf
2014-01-06, 09:54 PM
OUtermost Wall

Aequitus smiled to himself as he squeezed out of the hatch he'd opened up, covered in black dust. It'd been days of hard work, but he'd gotten the last of it done. He didn't want to risk anyone else doing it, so he'd taken to doing this task himself despite the tight spaces and his lack of armor when doing so. That said, it'd been a good workout on his upper body so he wasn't going to complain.

Besides, having to rely on that armor got stifling sometimes and it was good to get out of it from time to time.

Being especially careful, the Techno-Paladin pulled himself along with his cybernetic arm towards a bucket of water and a fresh set of clothing before taking his current attire off and bathing, using the cloth to wipe off any trace of the gunpowder before pulling on new clothing and his armor before choosing to relax the rest of the afternoon by sitting on the edge of the wall, watching the one path in.

Aric Kale
2014-01-06, 09:58 PM
Outside the Outermost Gate

Despite the wreckage, and the apparent lack of security of the first wall, Clara Tovell, wizard of Wulder, decides to wait for someone to answer her. She calls out to the gatekeeper, assuming there is one and gently allows her mind to spread out towards the spire, where any may feel her presence without having their thoughts invaded.
As company, she keeps three, kitten-sized dragons of varying colors. Perched upon her head, a purple dragon takes residence. Flying around the wizard in lazy circles, is a blue and orange drake. The final dragon is a gorgeous hue of emerald green, sitting on her shoulder.
To describe the wizard herself, she has a cloak that seems to blend in to the area around her whenever she remains still, and in her hand she holds a wizard's staff. Other than that, she has a plain, tan, uniform. Here is Clara Tovell, waiting to join the Aegis.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-06, 10:01 PM
Outer Gate

Out of the gate-house pokes the head of a kobold absolutely covered in warm clothes.
"Who's there?" his shrill voice calls.

Aric Kale
2014-01-06, 10:07 PM
Outside Gate

Clara Tovell, Dragon Keeper, Light Wizard, and servant of Wulder! I hail you and request entry into the Keep of the Aegis! She calls out in a voice both confident and kind, as the kobold answers her initial cry.

UncleWolf
2014-01-06, 10:18 PM
Outermost Wall

Aequitus senses the lightly probing mind and offers the equivalent of a psychic wave from behind the extremely heavy mental shields that his firm belief in his god gives him.

Then the kobolds and visitor might hear a small explosion and see a fireball after Aequitus tosses a match to his gunpowder coated clothing.

No worries! The Techno-Paladin is perfectly fine.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-06, 10:22 PM
Outer Gate

The guard gives her a salute and signals the gates to be opened. Once inside, Clara is greeted by a guard in similar clothes. He's wearing more scarves than armor, and his only weapon is a tiny crossbow. From what's exposed of his features Clara can probably tell he's very young, considering her familiarity with reptiles.
"Hiya, Miss. My name's Guko. Welcome to our fort! You must be who we had the Hatchery for. Um, we kinda stole part of it, but we left most of the room for you, promise! Want me to show you around, or would you like to see Mister 'Quitus now? Oh, and while he doesn't chat on-duty I'm sure my brother appreciates you taking the formality of humoring us and using the gate instead of the hole in the wall." he says, turning and waving to the pair of adults currently working on those holes.

Aric Kale
2014-01-06, 10:32 PM
Outer Gate - First Layer

Clara bows low to the kobold; where she's from, many beings are shorter than 4 feet tall. A pleasure to meet you, Guko. Thank you for informing me of the Hatchery, though I won't be needing much room for now, my only request is that plenty of insects are able to thrive there, as it's the minor dragons' main staple in their diet. She pauses for but a moment and continues, keeping an even pace as she speaks. I believe I should meet with Aequitus first, so I can commend him and those around him for the repairs done to this place. She then waits to follow him wherever he may lead her

Deathkeeper
2014-01-06, 10:38 PM
Outer Gate- First Layer

Guko nods. "Oh, that sounds yummy. We already have some for us, but we've only just started breeding them in our holes. You're welcome to them though. Mister 'Quitus is over there."
He pulls out a little horn specially made for a person without lips, and gives it a toot to grab Aequitus' attention.
"Sir! Guest for you!" he calls.

UncleWolf
2014-01-06, 10:55 PM
Outer Gate

Aequitus waves to them when he hears the horn and reaches down to scoop up a small white scaled dragon. "Come on, Astarwen, we have visitors." He says with a small smile before walking along the wall to reach the Gatehouse and hopping down. "You have no need to call me Master." He tells the kobold, still keeping a smile.

Clara will see Aequitus as a tall and handsome man with shoulder length golden hair that comes down in waves. His skin is tan and sunlight literally seems to radiate around him. His power armor is white with a tall pale blue cross on his chest. "And it is a pleasure to meet you." He tells Clara, reaching out with his right hand in an offer to shake as his left cradles something to his chest.

(Halae says that Cos would have given Aequitus a dragon for his gift in the god scene, but has not been able to post for that scene, so it's to be assumed to have happened here.)

Artemis97
2014-01-06, 11:05 PM
[Outer Gate]

That something was a small wyrmling with opalescent white scales. Noticing the conversation around her, the dragon stirs, blinking its wide golden eyes and peering at Clara. As it moves, Clara will likely see that the young dragon was missing her right wing and front foreleg. There was no scar tissue. It seemed the wyrmling was simply born that way.

Aric Kale
2014-01-06, 11:19 PM
Outer Gate

Clara waves back calmly as her dragons chitter excitedly at the presence of another dragon. They send thoughts towards Aequitus and Astarwen, though their form of communication way feel overwhelming, as it is simply a rapid transference of images representing their emotions and ideas.
Congratulations! She smiles, shaking his hand. All of this is amazing. If you need any assistance, let me know, for I have a talent for magic which may prove useful. To demonstrate, she points her staff towards a pile of rubble, closing her eyes as the crushed stones connect together and patch a man-sized hole higher up on the wall, away from anyone doing repairs*
Candor, the blue and orange wyrmling, flies towards the white dragon, making joyful noises.

*all actions attempted, in case of magic resistance or Wolfbane simply not wanting it to happen.

BladeofObliviom
2014-01-06, 11:24 PM
[The Dirt Road] (Probably some time after the current scene...)

A new creature appears on the horizon, stained a faint shade of brown by the dust of the road and many days of travel.

The approaching figure could perhaps be best described with the word "Terrifying." He has two glowing yellow orbs in place of real eyes, stands at almost eight feet in height (or about two-and-one-third meters for the more metrically inclined), and has a skeletal frame. And by that I mean he's literally just a skeleton. Okay, he's still got some tendons and ligaments and the occasional strip of mummified tissue attached, but the point is that there doesn't seem to be much flesh or muscle to speak of.

In spite of that detail, there's something about him that just looks amazingly strong. This impression is probably helped by the ornate suit of full platemail encasing his body, though it seems to have seen its fair share of wear and tear over countless years. The armor's definitely still usable, but covered in dents, scratches, and even a few actual breaches where something sharp broke through.

Plus, he's hefting some really heavy-looking items. First is an enormous two-handed sword, somewhere between a historical longsword and a Zweihander. It's just as ornate as the armor, and shares some of the patterns, suggesting that they might once have been part of a set. The sword is in much better condition than the armor, though that's not saying much. The second item is a heavy rounded bronze shield, nearly the size of the Knight's entire torso, unornamented but exactly as beaten as the other two pieces of equipment. The final item is a flail, blunt but still deadly-looking. This one is much shinier than the other stuff, but not ornamented. The weapon pings as somehow magical, which might help to explain why it's still in one piece instead of having had its chain fall apart.

At any rate, as the Revenant marches into the scene, he simply looks around quietly, merely observing his surroundings with a passive gaze and awaiting the attention of the gatekeeper.

Artemis97
2014-01-06, 11:28 PM
[Outer Gate]

Astarwen trills happily upon seeing Candor. Other dragons! It was wonderful. Excited, she squirms in Aequitus' arm, trying to reach the other dragon, entirely forgetting that flying wasn't an option for her.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-06, 11:29 PM
Outer Gate

"Momma says it's proper to show proper respect for my elders, Mister 'Quitus. "
Guko is basically the kobold equivalent of twelve or thirteen, which is why his only job is being a lookout and his weapon is small even by kobold standards. It's the only kind of weapon they have with a safety lock.
"No no, Miss. That's our job." he says. He doesn't sound offended, it's just that the kobolds take their role in maintenance very seriously. Well, they probably should, since it was pretty much a divine order.

Outer Gate, Later

The gatekeeper will call out to the revenant to state his intent, as before.

BladeofObliviom
2014-01-06, 11:36 PM
Outer Gate, Later

The armored undead monster raises his head properly, all the better to communicate with someone standing physically above him, and speaks. His voice is booming by nature, and unnaturally deep. Despite that, it is clear and level, with no signs of shouting.

"I have come to seek an audience with the Techno-Paladin Aequitus. If he asks whom, tell him that The Fallen Man shadows his doorstep."

UncleWolf
2014-01-06, 11:48 PM
Outer Gate

The dragons will feel a sense of calm and surety coming from Aequtius' mind mixed with a feeling of small pleasure at seeing another so interested in the struggle. "Then I suppose your mother must be correct, Guko. I wouldn't like to countermand her requests." He tells the Kobold with a smile before holding up a hand to stop Clara's magic. He can't physically or magically stop her, but the hand should be enough with any hope. "And he is correct. It is their wishes to repair it themselves, and they know how it should be done as well. Simply patching holes isn't enough."

Aric Kale
2014-01-07, 12:06 AM
Outer Gate

Clara undoes her own magic, apologizing to the two others. O did not mean to offend. If I can offer my services in any other fashion, let me know. Gymn has quite a talent for healing. At the mention of his name, the dragon sitting on her shoulder nods his tiny head. Candor flaps his wings steadily, circling the techno-paladin as he chats with Astarwen. Clara inclines her head to the white dragon, smiling gently. He's lovely, you said his name is Astarwen? She does indeed take note of his predicament, but makes no comment.

Devixer
2014-01-07, 12:11 AM
Outer Wall

A woman is walking down the dirt path. She doesn't really look like much, only dressed in reinforced leather armor, and carrying a sword shield, and whatever is on the pouches of her belt. Underneath her armor and helmet, only her face is visible, with pale skin and green eyes.

She looks at the gate she's approaching, palm on her sword's hilt.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-07, 12:17 AM
Outer Gate

Guko nods. I didn't say it before, but he finds the little dragons absolutely adorable, and it's probably rather obvious from the mental impression. He's also just a cheery young kid, so it's not much different than usual.

Later

The guard opens the gate for the Revenant (question: if he's in platemail, how would anyone know he's a mostly-skeleton).
Guko will come over to greet him, somehow unfazed by the giant warrior twice his height.
"Gee Mister, you sure are scary lookin'. Do you want to come inside or would you prefer me to call Mister 'Quitus while you wait here?"
It should be noted that right now the kobolds figure that the fort is too new for there to be enemies, which is why they let pretty much anyone in who says they're there for Aeq.

Side Note:

I just realized that I'm going to be doing the same sequence for everyone at this rate, so anyone entering who doesn't look hostile to the place can be assumed to get in with no troubles and were shown in by Guko or whichever of his brothers is on duty.

Artemis97
2014-01-07, 12:33 AM
[Outer Gate]

Astarwen narrows her golden eyes at Clara and draws back her lips, revealing tiny, but sharp teeth. She was female!

UncleWolf
2014-01-07, 12:46 AM
Outer Gate

"While you did not offend me, she certainly is a Her." Aequitus says with a small smile before reaching up to scratch her head between the eyes.

Outer Gate - Later

Aequitus will arrive at the gate a little while after the newcomer has arrived. "So, you are The Fallen Man?" Aequitus asks with a raised eyebrow. "I'd offer a hand, but I don't know how my touch may hurt you." He admits.

Outer Wall

"May I help you?" A man's voice calls from the Wall nearby. If she looks, Aequitus can be found laying down in one of the holes blasted into the wall, using a knife to slice an apple bit by bit for eating. He watches her curiously but without any scorn for the type of weapons or armor she chooses to bear.

Devixer
2014-01-07, 12:50 AM
Outer Wall

"This is Aegis, yes?" the woman says, looking towards Aequitus. She shortly bows at him. "I am Imesah. I wish to lend you my blade, for whatever use you see fit."

UncleWolf
2014-01-07, 01:07 AM
Outer Wall

"Then tell me one thing. A test if you will to let me get a measure of you." Aequitus starts before taking a sliver and chewing it slowly, savoring the sweet taste before holding up the rest of the apple in offer. "What is your weapon?" He asks, his voice somehow making it clear that it's not the sword he's referring to.

Devixer
2014-01-07, 01:12 AM
Outer Wall

Imesah takes the apple, but isn't entirely sure what to do with it - people like her couldn't eat much. "I'm afraid I don't quite understand your question. Besides my blade, there are my Miracles," she says.

((I'm sorry to poke you this way, but I'm waiting on a post from you in Remnant.))

UncleWolf
2014-01-07, 01:30 AM
Outer Wall

"The question means whatever you think it means. Simply think for a while and decide your answer." Aequitus says entirely unhelpfully.

(I know, and I'll be posting in other places tomorrow during the day. It's gotten to 1230 in the morning. This was going to be my last post tonight. Sorry about the wait, but at least I'm back a week early from my break from ffrp :smallsmile:)

Devixer
2014-01-07, 01:41 AM
Outer Wall

Imesah closes her eyes, considering the question. It's almost half of a minute until she opens her eyes and answers. "Purpose is my weapon. As long as I have a purpose, I do not fear death."

((There's no need to apologize, I don't mind the wait.))

Ashen Lilies
2014-01-07, 01:42 AM
[Outer Place]

Gee. It sure is busy here. I hope Aequitus prepared a lot of plot clones for opening day, otherwise there's going to be a long line of hopefuls standing outside his doorstep.

Speaking of which, there is indeed another individual wandering up the path. This one is tall and muscular, pale-skinned and blonde of hair and beard. He's wearing no armor of any sort, it appears - only a rough woolen tunic and trousers, with worn leather traveling boots and a brown cloak to protect him from the cold. Over the cloak he's carrying a pack with a bedroll tied to the top, and a greatsword, scabbarded in plain brown boarhide, strapped to the side.

Aric Kale
2014-01-07, 01:48 AM
Outer Gate

Clara stifles a chuckle, barely managing to hide a grin. My most sincere apologies. Krakl, Candor, and Gymn are all male, so I am used to referring to dragons as such. How foolish of me. I should mention, while not super apparent, as the dragon keeper, most dragons should feel comfortable with her, if not loyal.
Now, if you have need of me, may I visit the Hatchery? Wizard Tovell constantly gives off a positive aura, and the excitement she feels from being in this place is clearly evident in her body language.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-07, 01:50 AM
Outer Gate

Guko raises a hand. Err, claw.
"Oh, I can take her there if it's okay, Mister 'Quitus!"

happyturtle
2014-01-07, 05:40 AM
Another new person arrives. She is wearing a skin-tight combat unitard, with a high tech rifle slung over her shoulder. Her skin is green and her eyes wary. Nora Pascal looks for this Aequitus person who has been writing on the Wall.

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/3305/tek510ff6203f6de0837145.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/52574943)

Arkhosia
2014-01-07, 06:55 AM
Another new arrival!
A telling with pink lightish red skin in chainmail armor approaches, his short, ram-like, curling horns easy to spot due to his buzz cut. A greatsword rests on his back, along with a kite shield bearing Pelor's symbol. A longsword hangs from his side.his red orb-like eyes survey the area.

BladeofObliviom
2014-01-07, 09:36 AM
Outer Gate - Later

It's a good question! The Fallen Man (AKA Despair) can be identified as such in spite of the full-body armor because he has an opened visor and because there are a number of small torn-open spots through which bones can be seen. I suppose that might be harder to identify from a distance, though.

"It is not the first time I have been told that. I will enter; I would meet the Lord of the Fortress on his terms rather than mine."

The knight strides through the gates, and stands at attention until Aequitus arrives and greets him.

"I am indeed, though the name is perhaps more literal than most would expect. I am also called Despair, short for 'Despair of Fortress Saenord-Georg', but I am not fond of the name. Still, it is the name I have."

In complete defiance of Aequitus' concern, Despair extends one gauntleted hand forward.

"You need not fear harming me: I am no demon or soulless monster, no matter what my appearance may indicate."

He's not even a traditional undead. In fact, technically he's a corpse being possessed by his own spirit.

GrandDM
2014-01-07, 11:19 AM
And here comes someone else. A small, leathery-skinned old man is walking up the path. Despite his venerable appearance, he moves as swiftly and surely as someone in the prime of their life.

Arkhosia
2014-01-07, 11:25 AM
And here comes someone else. A small, leathery-skinned old man is walking up the path. Despite his venerable appearance, he moves as swiftly and surely as someone in the prime of their life.

Akmenos gives him an acknowledging nod.

GrandDM
2014-01-07, 11:55 AM
Akmenos gives him an acknowledging nod.

The man returns the nod. If Akmenos wishes to talk, he'll have to start the conversation.

Arkhosia
2014-01-07, 11:59 AM
The man returns the nod. If Akmenos wishes to talk, he'll have to start the conversation.

Akmenos approaches the man.
Hello. Akmenos Eyros, Paladin of Pelor.
He offers a hand.

GrandDM
2014-01-07, 12:19 PM
Akmenos approaches the man.
Hello. Akmenos Eyros, Paladin of Pelor.
He offers a hand.

The hand is shaken with a grip that you might expect from a musclebound warrior.

"Shui'yan, Grandmaster of the Mountain Monastery."

UncleWolf
2014-01-07, 02:36 PM
Outer Wall

"Purpose is a weapon indeed." The Techno-Paladin says with a small smile before sliding off the wall to offer his hand. "To have one is to work towards something greater than yourself. As for death, always try to keep a healthy respect for it at least, even if you do not fear such. Welcome aboard." Aequitus says, still smiling.

Outer Gate

"Go ahead, Guko. I'll watch the gate for the rest of the afternoon and evening. You two have fun." He tells them all with a smile, still scratching his dragon's head. "If you wish, take any house in good repair that you find as your own."

Outer Gate - Later

"The fear I had was in harming you." Aequitus says in all sincerity as he shakes the Fallen Man's hand. "So you are what would be a Blade-Wraith in my world? I had thought such people had to have a goal to fulfill when they came back and then went back to their eternal rest when it was over. Is it the same for you?"

Gate - Nora

Aequitus is busy cleaning his rifle when Nora makes her way there. He gives a small wave but doesn't say anything at the start, taking a moment to piece his gun back together. "Are you here for Aegis, Milady?" He asks, looking her over.

Gate - Pelor and the Monk

The two will probably notice Aequitus, wearing his armor, kneeling down in the middle of the nearby field of flowers as he picked a few in order to smell and later make a numbing tea to store away for any injured. "Hello." He tells them without looking, still smiling.

Gate - Vagrant

"Ho there!" Aequitus shouts from the top of the Gate house as he sets a massive cauldron in place over a propane burner.

Arkhosia
2014-01-07, 02:45 PM
The hand is shaken with a grip that you might expect from a musclebound warrior.

"Shui'yan, Grandmaster of the Mountain Monastery."

Outer Wall

The two will probably notice Aequitus, wearing his armor, kneeling down in the middle of the nearby field of flowers as he picked a few in order to smell and later make a numbing tea to store away for any injured. "Hello." He tells them without looking, still smiling.

Ah, you're a monk. Interesting.
Then Aequitus appears!
Ah, you must be Aequitus! Akmenos Eyros, Paladin of Pelor.

happyturtle
2014-01-07, 02:55 PM
Gate - Nora

Gate - Nora

Aequitus is busy cleaning his rifle when Nora makes her way there. He gives a small wave but doesn't say anything at the start, taking a moment to piece his gun back together. "Are you here for Aegis, Milady?" He asks, looking her over.

Nora watches him assemble his rifle, trying to make out the gun's capabilities from what she can see. "Undecided."

BladeofObliviom
2014-01-07, 03:00 PM
Outer Gate - Later

"Perhaps." admits the knight, nodding and releasing the handshake. His hand is cold and his grip firm, but not overwhelmingly so.

One often-overlooked feature of conversing with a skeletal creature is the total lack of body language, which can be disconcerting in dialogue. I sometimes use descriptive words like "stern" or "impassive", but it goes beyond that. Despair cannot raise his eyebrows, smile, frown, widen or narrow his eyes, take a breath, sigh, furrow his brow, or do anything else that involves facial muscles or other things. As such, it's very difficult for him to convey any emotion at all.

This makes it both odd and somewhat amazing that Despair manages to sound vaguely wistful as he continues to speak.

"I know not the details of my death or my life, but I believe I had been destined for an honorable death in battle, but was instead laid low by a coward's venom. If I ever had such a purpose as simple revenge, it ceased to be achievable when I came to the Nexus. And if my purpose is a second death, none have dealt the killing blow.

If your pitch is true and your intent honorable, Saenz Aequitus, I would be proud to stand at your side. My blade and my second life are yours, if you will have me."

Devixer
2014-01-07, 03:27 PM
Outer Wall

Imesah looks a little confused as she shakes Aequitus's hand. "That is all you require?" She asks. Although, she supposed the other causes she'd joined in the past didn't need much of a test at all.

UncleWolf
2014-01-07, 03:52 PM
Gates - Nora

The rifle is of a simple design made for a smaller caliber, but that same design allows it to be easily repaired and easily cleaned. The rounds that are laid out near by appear to be armor piercing though, and every component of both the bullets and rifle are etched with the symbol of a lantern. "Is there anything in particular you wish to learn that may help you decide one way or another? I am at your service."

Outer Gate - Later

"The offer is true, but I will accept neither your second life nor your blade." Aequitus says in all seriousness. "Neither are mine to take, even should you offer them. I will not rule this place, merely guide it and offer it as a place for like minded people to stay. I am no Lord and you certainly aren't a vassal. But if you seek a death while working towards an honorable cause, this is the right place, even if I do hope you don't meet such for a long time to come."

Outer Wall

"What would you have me do? Ask for a show of skill or oath of loyalty? Neither one matters here. Only one's intentions do." Aequitus points out.

happyturtle
2014-01-07, 03:54 PM
Gates - Nora

"Your purpose, in fewer words than you used on Wall." Nora says.

UncleWolf
2014-01-07, 04:01 PM
Gate - Nora

"To use ourselves as a buffer and shield for those who can't protect themselves." Aequitus states as he loads up his rifle and sets it on his back on the magnetic holster before standing. "This fortress is to be used as bait to draw in those who would take advantage of normal civilians so we can crush them."

Aric Kale
2014-01-07, 04:02 PM
To the Hatchery!

Clara smiles brightly, bowing to Aequitus once more before following the young kobold.
Guko, have you met many dragons in your years of life? As they walk, she makes careful observations of the fortress, trying to figure out which areas would be easiest to defend in times of trouble.

happyturtle
2014-01-07, 04:10 PM
Gate - Nora

"I was created to protect humanity. I have not been able to fulfil that purpose since arriving in this place." Nora says. It isn't really a question, but then, she's not the greatest at verbal communication.

UncleWolf
2014-01-07, 04:16 PM
Gate - Nora

"Humans are only one thing we're trying to protect, but if you can accept that, I'd be glad to have you." Aequitus says with a small nod. "But if you don't mind, I have a question for you."

happyturtle
2014-01-07, 04:20 PM
Gate - Nora

"I know the aliens here are not all enemies." Nora says, and waits for the question.

Devixer
2014-01-07, 04:22 PM
Outer Wall

"I suppose you're correct," Imesah says. It was hard to refute words like that. "Is there a place where I can build a fire? My journey has been a long one, I wish to rest."

Deathkeeper
2014-01-07, 04:23 PM
To the Hatchery

Guko shakes his head.
"No, we're always taught that real dragons were our ancestors, but I've never seen any besides yours and Mister Quitus'."
And those lessons were probably accurate, since without him realizing it (and unless Clara stops him) he'll have pressed himself quite close to her and taken her hand, apparently being fully affected by her nature with dragons. Aside from his odd sense of comfort around the human lady Guko is happy to lead Clara around and make a note of everything on the path to the hatchery. He mentions where most of the kobolds' houses are, although apparently they're mostly being used for storage this time of year.
He'll bring her to a large structure, entering it is a long room with a number of lockers and cubbies. It's much warmer despite having no fire due to its adjacency to the Hatchery. Oddly enough, Guko immediately begins stripping to his smallclothes. If it wasn't obvious with all that warm padding on, he's downright tiny.
"You can put all your stuff here if you want. We're using this side for our clothes. Pappa says that the steam in the Hatchery isn't good for armor and wearing wet clothes in the winter isn't good, so we put them all in here and leave them instead of wearing them inside."

UncleWolf
2014-01-07, 04:28 PM
Gate - Nora

"What do you have believe in?" He asks, raising an eyebrow as he waits for an answer.

Outer Wall

The Techno-Paladin nods. "Go to any home you wish that's been repaired. Each one has a fireplace and is stocked with some wood. There's a large Hall where we can meet after dark where I will have dinner prepared."

Devixer
2014-01-07, 04:52 PM
Outer Wall

"I shall be at this hall after dark, then," Imesah says. Unless Aequitus has anything else to say, she'll take another small bow and head further into the fortress.

Duck999
2014-01-07, 04:53 PM
Outer Wall

A humanoid figure falls from the sky near Aequitus. He lands with grace, crouching low upon impact with the ground. He raises his head to reveal pale skin, fangs, and red eyes.
Aequitus, I assume.He says.

Aric Kale
2014-01-07, 05:07 PM
Hatchery

Clara listens with interest, wondering what the dragons bred with or what situations made kobolds so small. Of course, minor dragons are small...
Then her hand is grabbed. She makes no mention of the action, seeing it as an innocent gesture from a child. After all, that's what Guko is.
Once they arrive at the hatchery, she makes no notion to strip, and whether the kobold notices the lack of sweat on her forehead or not, she explains that My cloak is made from the moonbeam plant, and it has several useful properties, one of which is air conditioning. (it's canon.)
The dragons themselves buzz with excitement, flying about the room and searching for any tasty morsels that they may come across in their exploration.

UncleWolf
2014-01-07, 05:23 PM
Outer Wall

(I'll assume this is a moment when Aequitus is alone)

As soon as the man looks up, he'll find that Aequitus' left arm is already in front of him, an energy shield springing from it as his right hand rests on a sword handle that is at his side. "I am. may I ask who you are?" The man says. It should be noted that sunlight radiates from the Techno-Paladin.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-07, 05:25 PM
Hatchery

"Well ok Miss as long as the wetness isn't an issue." he says, now wearing just a little set of trunks. He actually wouldn't normally be wearing anything, but he vaguely remembers that most mammal societies have a thing against nudity.
Guko will shoo the little dragons away from the cubbies, as most of the food there is his brothers' lunches, which he'd prefer wasn't stolen. "No, food inside!" he tells them, ringing a little bell by the door. About ten seconds later, the heavy stone doors are pulled open by a trio of kobolds on the other side. The doors need to be thick and insulated to keep the heat inside. Inside the steamy chamber is somewhere between fifteen and twenty kobolds, sitting around or in the heated water or in the simple chambers they've carved into the walls for use in the winter.
"Welcome!" says Guko and the three who opened to door for them, the latter not sure why they like the look of this stranger so much. The others simply wave pleasantly from where they are.

Duck999
2014-01-07, 05:32 PM
Outer Wall
(Yes Aequitus is alone)

Uggh! Please stop with that light. I am Domnus Ereptor, though some call me the turned one. I am here to help, just explain what I could help wih, I need something to do. Looking closely, there is amdark shimmering around Domnus.Oh yeah, and those weapons are kind of intimidating. The man stands up to reveal that he is shirtless with little armor in his shoulders. He has 2 daggers sheathed.

UncleWolf
2014-01-07, 05:55 PM
Outer Wall

"The Light is a symbol of my faith. One does not cannot simply turn it off." Aequitus explains as he leaves his blade alone and his shield shrinks down back onto his arm. "Why are you here to help?" He asks in a perfectly calm tone as his body language relaxes. "Everyone has to have a reason."

Duck999
2014-01-07, 06:03 PM
Outer Wall

I was adventurer adventuring at a young age. I got tricked by vampires and became one of them. My familynfeels as though I betrayed them. Everyone responds to me the same way you did: weapons drawn. I am hoping to make a good name for myself so I can live as a normal citizen. Domnus visibly steps towards Aequitus, hands at his side.

Ashen Lilies
2014-01-07, 06:10 PM
Gate - Vagrant

"Ho there!" Aequitus shouts from the top of the Gate house as he sets a massive cauldron in place over a propane burner.

[Gate - Vagrant]

The traveler raises a single hand in greeting, stopping a fair distance from the gatehouse so that he can see Aequitus at the top.
"You are the man who wrote on the wall?" He asks.

UncleWolf
2014-01-07, 06:18 PM
Outer Wall

"My reason for my reaction is because I've been in too many battles not to be cautious. I would have done the same for anyone who appeared out of the like that." Aequitus explains. "And while I understand your reasons for choosing to fight, I do hope you'll find something more than that here. Something to live for perhaps rather than to fight for."

Gate - Vagrant

"I was one of several. Otherwise the gender percentiles would be really skewed here." He jokes with a small smile. "But I am Techno-Paladin Aequitus. Pray tell, what story do you have?"

Duck999
2014-01-07, 06:32 PM
Outer Wall

I am not necessarily here to fight. I will help in any way. Though if fighting is what is needed, I can hold my own. I just want a way to show that not all vampires are evil. Domnus looks visibly sad, his body language shows that he is depressed that people can not see him as normal.

UncleWolf
2014-01-07, 06:36 PM
Outer Wall

"If you need proof that not all vampires are evil, simply go to Riverside and venture through the western part of the city. It is ran by vampires. As is the northern quarter." He says. "I'll gladly accept any assistance you can offer though. What skills do you have?"

Duck999
2014-01-07, 06:43 PM
Outer Wall

Interesting, where I am from vampires are beings of pure evil. My homeland also disliked elves, which I know is not the same everywhere. I would still benglad to assist. I am skilled at multiple things. Fighting is but one. I can be diplomatic, I can trade, and I can explore. There is some more, but I will most likely help in whatever way you need. Domnus relaxes, obviously glad to hear that he is not hated.

BladeofObliviom
2014-01-07, 08:17 PM
Outer Gate - Later

If he is surprised by the whole "first among equals" thing, Despair does not show it.

"As you will, then. Is there a test, or application?"

happyturtle
2014-01-08, 09:14 AM
Gate - Nora

"What do you believe in?" He asks, raising an eyebrow as he waits for an answer.

Nora is silent for a long moment. Inside her head, her BrainPal is offering quotations.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Believe in yourself. (Numerous attributions)
Don't stop believing (accompanied by a music file)
I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth... (cont. Apostle's Creed)
Do you believe in magic? (another music file)
To believe in something, and not to live it, is dishonest. (Mahatma Ghandi)
I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. (Aubrey Hepburn)

Nora stops the BrainPal search and looks at Aequitus's lips while she tries to think of an answer.

Finally she answers, "I believe in my Empee, Sir." She unslings her gun and holds it out to indicate what she's referring to.

GrandDM
2014-01-08, 11:03 AM

Ah, you're a monk. Interesting.
Then Aequitus appears!
Ah, you must be Aequitus! Akmenos Eyros, Paladin of Pelor.

"In a manner of speaking."

Shui'yan also introduces himself.

Aric Kale
2014-01-08, 01:38 PM
Hatchery

The dragons shoo, not wanting to take away from someone's meal. Instead, they fly into Clara's cloak. This wouldn't be odd, if they hadn't parked themselves in her pockets and left no bulge. If she receives any strange or confused looks, the wizard will explain It's called a hollow, and it's a miniportal to a personal dimension where I keep my things. That's the simple definition...
Anyways, the moisture isn't an issue, so she follows the diminutive kobold into the other chamber, cheerily waving to those inside.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-08, 01:59 PM
Hatchery

Admittedly, Guko isn't that short, he's just under two feet, which is pretty standard for a not quite full-grown kobold. He's very thin, though. Pretty much all of them are, as Clara can clearly tell from their current lack of clothes. With her expertise she can probably tell that they've been living rather meagerly until recently, so while they're currently healthy they weren't always.
Guko really wasn't paying attention, as he's busy telling his fellows about who Clara is. The youths turn to her, and several crowd around her in an attempt to the best to hug someone over twice their size.
"Thank you, Miss! Very good idea, convinced Mister Quitus to make big warm room. Keep us all warm in winter, no more freezing." comes their mixed thanks.

Aric Kale
2014-01-08, 02:17 PM
Hatchery

Clara just smiles and hugs back as best as she can. She can't bring herself to tell them that she didn't specify the needs for the dragon hatchings (which do not require such a customized chamber), but she is glad that they will go to good use. Especially since they seem to have been struggling up until now.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-08, 02:32 PM
Hatchery

Admittedly, they probably give Aequitus more credit for getting them the materials than they give her for the idea, but the idea was still the starting point, and they can't help but feel really huggy around her. She's probably going to have to get used to being popular.
Once Guko can extract her from the crowd, he'll happily show her the pools and pretty much everything else, including the big boxes where they're growing insects to eat. The temperature is good for the bugs, although they keep the non-living food outside for now, at least until Aequitus can get power in the keep and get them one of those "fridgerators" he told them about. The kobolds have lovingly carved decorative patterns into several of the walls and the banks of the pools. Guko will also make note that if she wants anything added, like inscriptions from her homeworld or her dragons' names they will be happy to do so.

Aric Kale
2014-01-08, 04:50 PM
Hatchery

Clara follows him for the tour, quite pleased with the level of dedication put to the construction of this room, and totally at ease with the kobolds. After all, being a dragon keeper means that she loves her charges as well.
She is perfectly content with what is already in place, and makes sure they realize just how blessed she feels. When everything is dealt with, Clara politely disentangles herself from the kobolds, feeling the need to find a room of her own, where she can set up and rest.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-08, 04:58 PM
Hatchery

Guko will give her directions to both a segment of the houses outside which are unoccupied as well as several unused nooks in the hatchery.
"Miss should call if she needs anything at all, okay?"

Aric Kale
2014-01-08, 05:17 PM
I will, thank you for your kindness. She replies, heading towards the living quarters. Clara settles in a space between the outer and middle walls, with a small house. It's sparsely furnished, with only a stone oven and a bed, but she's made do with less. She reaches inside her hollows and pulls out several items from the large-mouthed pockets, things like scented wax candles, and other objects to make her new home feel more personal.

Ashen Lilies
2014-01-08, 05:50 PM
Gate - Vagrant

"I was one of several. Otherwise the gender percentiles would be really skewed here." He jokes with a small smile. "But I am Techno-Paladin Aequitus. Pray tell, what story do you have?"

[Gate - Vagrant]

"I am Johannes. And I know of several good ones." Says Johannes, smiling.
"Would you like to hear the one about the lonely fisherman or the woodcutter?"

UncleWolf
2014-01-08, 08:42 PM
Outer Wall

"Anything you offer would be greatly appreciated." Aequitus tells the vampire with a small nod before gesturing behind him. "Choose a house for yourself if you wish, or we can figure out a lodging for you within the spire's caves."

Outer Gate - Later

Aequitus shakes his head. "It would only waste time and that's something we don't have much of. It will only be a matter of time before opposing forces sense what we're trying to do here and move to prevent it. Eventually I will ask a group to clear the Library though. It's been uncovered, but currently sealed as something is still moving around in there."

Gate - Nora

The Techno-Paladin smiles and offers the green-skinned woman his hand. "Good answer." He admits, looking hopeful that she may take his offer.

Gate - Vagrant

"That depends!" Aequitus shouts down before turning on the burner and hopping to the ground. "That depends on which you are."

Gate - Pelor & Monk

"It's a pleasure to meet you both, though I do have a question for you." He says, nodding towards the monk. "You said I was the first to find you out. What do you mean by that?"

Duck999
2014-01-08, 09:02 PM
Outer wall

Domnus wanders away to explore, then turns back. Thank you, I am glad to be appreciated. He then dissapears into the distance.

Arkhosia
2014-01-08, 09:03 PM
Pelor & Monk

Akmenod is skippable.

A Dark Visitor

A tall woman wearing mithral armor painted red with brown details, the glove's fingers sharpened to a wicked point, approaches. She wears a red mithral mask that covers her whole face, with eyeholes covered by glass and a cyan teardrop painted on it. The only discernible physical traits are her brick red skin, jade eyes, brown hair, and large slate blue bat wings.
An axe hangs on her back
What is this place?

Duck999
2014-01-08, 09:16 PM
A dark visitor
((Please specify a place))
Domnus continues walking and runs across a dark visitor. He stops and looks oddly at the arrival, then begins to speak. I would tell you, but from my brief time here, I have learned not all are to be trusted. Tell me truthfully who you are, and I will answer you. Domnus still looks at the visitor oddly.

Arkhosia
2014-01-08, 09:28 PM
A dark visitor
((Please specify a place))
Domnus continues walking and runs across a dark visitor. He stops and looks oddly at the arrival, then begins to speak. I would tell you, but from my brief time here, I have learned not all are to be trusted. Tell me truthfully who you are, and I will answer you. Domnus still looks at the visitor oddly.

Talia Valois.
Tyra lies, something she's good at. She has a few pseudonyms.

BladeofObliviom
2014-01-08, 11:50 PM
Outer Gate - Later

"Understandable.", states the knight, jaw unmoving.

"Is there knowledge of value within this library, or is it a burned ruin? If the former, it may be wiser to procure it quickly than to risk corruption from whatever presence lies within. I would volunteer to hold the vanguard, unless there is another more resilient than I."

Ashen Lilies
2014-01-09, 12:17 AM
Gate - Vagrant

"That depends!" Aequitus shouts down before turning on the burner and hopping to the ground. "That depends on which you are."

[Gate - Vagrant]

"I come to you as neither fisherman nor woodcutter, though I have been both in my span. I am a simple warrior seeking a place amongst your numbers."
The wanderer approaches the gatehouse now, seeing as he doesn't need to be in a spot to see the top, and instead can talk with Aequitus at a more comfortable distance.

happyturtle
2014-01-09, 07:09 AM
Gate - Nora

The Techno-Paladin smiles and offers the green-skinned woman his hand. "Good answer." He admits, looking hopeful that she may take his offer.

She takes his hand, then blurts out. "What do you believe in? Sir?"

Duck999
2014-01-09, 07:22 AM
Talia Valois.
Tyra lies, something she's good at. She has a few pseudonyms.

Ok, I don't know much about this place, having just arrived, but if you can find Aquitus he can explain. Domnus offers a brief explanation of what Aquitus looks like.

UncleWolf
2014-01-09, 09:56 AM
(@Ark & Duck999: In regards to your scene, it'll have to be outside the Outer Wall. Ark's PC has yet to be entered onto the premises via the only gate there and as far as I can tell hasn't attempted to get past it. That also means it probably happens in plain sight of either the kobolds or Aequitus himself. While the defenses are not that great at the moment, it should still be considered and Org and assumed to have defenses and security (which it does). )

Outer Gate - Later

"We don't know." Aequitus admits. "But the room had been sealed for at least a century and as far as we can find it only has one way in. Which means whatever's in there is definitely unnatural in origin. I ordered the place sealed at the first sign of movement." He tells The Fallen Man.

Gate - Vagrant

"Why do you seek such here of all places? Surely there are other organizations that would suit a man of your needs far better than what little I have to offer here." Aequitus asks, pulling a small tin from a compartment within his armor before opening it and offering the woodsman a pieces of tobacco from within.

Gate - Nora

Aequitus doesn't answer right away, instead shaking her hand before gently lowering himself to the ground so he can lay on his back in the poppy field. A moment later he pats the ground beside him in invitation as he stares up at the crystal blue sky. Even if she doesn't lay down he takes his time before answering.

"I believe in the power of conviction itself." He finally admits. "I follow the teachings of my God, but it is the Ideals that it brings us that are important. The ideas of strength, self-sacrifice, and the firm belief that what I am doing is right are the most important things I can believe in. It should never matter what deity you believe in. What matters is what that deity represents. Simple faith and conviction is what allows us to break past our physical binds and tells us that what we do is just even when the world turns so bleak that even the light from the gods themselves is blotted out." He tells Nora before nodding toward her gun.

"Without Conviction behind it, your gun would simply be a tool of destruction, death, and despair. It is your belief that turns that tool into a true weapon of what is Right."

happyturtle
2014-01-09, 10:28 AM
Poppy Field

Nora considers a moment, before lying on the ground next to him. She looks at the sky, but whatever he seems to see in it, she simply sees water mist and scattered sunlight. He keeps referring to the term 'Deity' and 'God'. She accesses her files on those terms.

In religious belief, a deity is a supernatural being, who may be thought of as holy, divine, or sacred. Some religions have one supreme deity, others have multiple deities of various ranks.

A further search on the term 'Sacred', gives her the following:

Sacred means revered due to association with holiness. Holiness, or sanctity, is in general the state of being holy (perceived by religious individuals as associated with the divine).

She looks up a few more terms, but they are all equally circular. A deity is a being that's holy, and holy means associated with a deity. It's all too much for her to grasp.

It must be a human thing.

"Special Forces were created by humans, not by gods. We do not worship our creators."

Arkhosia
2014-01-09, 11:25 AM
Ok, I don't know much about this place, having just arrived, but if you can find Aquitus he can explain. Domnus offers a brief explanation of what Aquitus looks like.

A paladin?
She asks, hatred slightly present in her voice

GrandDM
2014-01-09, 11:43 AM
Gate - Pelor & Monk

"It's a pleasure to meet you both, though I do have a question for you." He says, nodding towards the monk. "You said I was the first to find you out. What do you mean by that?"

Pelor & Monk

Akmenod is skippable.

"You are the first person in a long time to call me out on the false claims I make. It is a small test, but one almost nobody passes."

Recaiden
2014-01-09, 01:54 PM
[Approaching the Gate - Leah]

Yet another person is approaching. She's been walking out here for three days and four nights now, and finally, here is the yellow fields that mean she's nearly there. Maybe it would be a good time to rest? But that would mean even more walking once she got on her way again. If she could feel proper tiredness it would be so much worse.

The woman slips through the field of poppies like a ghost keeping the path just in sight, and in fact, you can see the plants through her, like a half-erased drawing. She holds a walking stick, not needing it for support but liking the rhythm of walking with it, among other things. Wearing dark clothes with a few hints of white, and a pair of too-large sunglasses. Skin pale because the sun doesn't truly shine on it, long black hair messy and tangled, she looks a bit pathetic and forgettable.

Finally she's at the gate in the outermost wall.
"Hello. This is Aegis."

BladeofObliviom
2014-01-09, 02:03 PM
Outer Gate - Later

Despair awkwardly nods, his vaguely Corinthian-style helmet shifting behind the bevor of the suit.

"Caution certainly makes sense, then. When such a time comes as a platoon is formed to address this, however, I will be there. A foul presence in the very heart of one's fortress is a deadly weakness, and one I doubt we can afford if our enemies are as dire as claimed.

If I may ask, where are the living spaces? I may persevere longer than most, but I still become as fatigued as any other manner of creature after days on the road."

Duck999
2014-01-09, 04:03 PM
A paladin?
She asks, hatred slightly present in her voice

Yes, a paladin. Domnus looks towards the wall and shouts. Someone fetch Aequitus, his presence is required to deal with this lying newcomer! Domnus knows a lot about speech patterns, and picked up the lie and hatred.

Arkhosia
2014-01-09, 04:09 PM
Yes, a paladin. Domnus looks towards the wall and shouts. Someone fetch Aequitus, his presence is required to deal with this lying newcomer! Domnus knows a lot about speech patterns, and picked up the lie and hatred.

Before he can shout, Tyra swiftly tries to grab Domnus by his head and bring him close to her, her wickedly sharp points probably inflicting injury, and smash him very hard into the ground, aiming to knock him unconscious.
If that succeeds, she will dart away.

Duck999
2014-01-09, 04:14 PM
Woah woah woah! No need for violence. Domnus gets up as he talks. I am strong as a vampire, and I would at least put up a fight until Aequitus hears the noise. All of a sudden, Domnus moves with inhuman speed (faster than most vampires even) towards the wall. He scales the wall with speed and calls out. Aequitus, come quickly, there is an evil doer at you wall. Any attempt for Domnus' opponent to catch him or run away will be responded to with accurately thrown rocks, knocking who they hit off balance.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-09, 04:17 PM
Outer Gate

This might cause some problems, as Domnus has already spoken to Aequitus and is already a registered member. So when some random lady grabs him in full view of the gate-house defenses, the guards will complete the shout that he doesn't. And unless she moves or Domnus does something to block the shot, Tyra might find a crossbow bolt sprouting from her clavicle.
There's a reason the Kobolds put a ten-year-old on watch-duty.

Gate, Leah

"Yes it is. Can we help you?" comes the response from the gatekeeper, poking his snout out of the gatehouse.

Arkhosia
2014-01-09, 04:18 PM
Woah woah woah! No need for violence. Domnus gets up as he talks. I am strong as a vampire, and I would at least put up a fight until Aequitus hears the noise. All of a sudden, Domnus moves with inhuman speed (faster than most vampires even) towards the wall. He scales the wall with speed and calls out. Aequitus, come quickly, there is an evil doer at you wall. Any attempt for Domnus' opponent to catch him or run away will be responded to with accurately thrown rocks, knocking who they hit off balance.

Tyra looks frantic... not that one could tell due to her mask, anyways.
A thin plate on her back shatters as large, slate blue wings emerge from her armor, and Tyra takes flight, attempting to fly away as fast and far as possible.
... and then her clavicle is fractured.
Tyra screams in pain, and falls into the field of flowers below.

Duck999
2014-01-09, 04:27 PM
Domnus walks over to the kobold. Thank you kind kobold, may I ask what your name is? Domnus asks. Then I would like to go take care of that lady, Aequitus may want her questioned.
Unless told not to, Domnus goes to the ladies side, attending to her wound to keep her well enough.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-09, 04:31 PM
Outer Wall

"Guko." says Guko, making a show of reloading his crossbow. It's a pretty small one, for the record, so any damage likely isn't too much, but getting a hole punched in a bone is probably quite painful.

Arkhosia
2014-01-09, 04:38 PM
Tyra is currently clutching her shoulder, gritting her teeth.
Then Domnus approaches!
Tyra's eyes widen as she tries to back away, and if her tries to get close, fire a blast of fire at him.

Recaiden
2014-01-09, 04:39 PM
Gate, Leah

"Yes it is. Can we help you?" comes the response from the gatekeeper, poking his snout out of the gatehouse.

"I am here to join. To 'vanquish the forces of tyranny and oppression', as you've said."
Leah bows to the gatekeeper, then looks at him impassively. Behind her glasses her eyes are curious, but she tries not to show it.
"May I enter?"

Duck999
2014-01-09, 04:42 PM
Tyra is currently clutching her shoulder, gritting her teeth.
Then Domnus approaches!
Tyra's eyes widen as she tries to back away, and if her tries to get close, fire a blast of fire at him.

Woah, no need to be scared, I am here to tend to your wound. If you do anything funny there might be a crossbow bolt in something more vital. Domnus does not move towards her until given permission.

Arkhosia
2014-01-09, 04:48 PM
Woah, no need to be scared, I am here to tend to your wound. If you do anything funny there might be a crossbow bolt in something more vital. Domnus does not move towards her until given permission.

Fine.
Tyra replies, stopping inching away

Duck999
2014-01-09, 04:53 PM
Domnus approaches the lady. He asks her What is your real name? He pulls the bolt out of her wound and stops the blood with some leaves. That will have to do until you get real medical attention.

Arkhosia
2014-01-09, 04:55 PM
Domnus approaches the lady. He asks her What is your real name? He pulls the bolt out of her wound and stops the blood with some leaves. That will have to do until you get real medical attention.

Valois.
Tyra replies. It's technically true: it's her last name.

Duck999
2014-01-09, 04:58 PM
Okay, I just need to keep talking to you to keep you conscious. Domnus ponders another question to ask. Any last name or titles? A nickname maybe? What else are you known as?

Arkhosia
2014-01-09, 05:07 PM
Okay, I just need to keep talking to you to keep you conscious. Domnus ponders another question to ask. Any last name or titles? A nickname maybe? What else are you known as?

Talia, Tyra, Melarie, Olina...
She starts listing a lot of pseudonyms.

Duck999
2014-01-09, 05:09 PM
Domnus continues to ask easy questions related to random things. Assuming nothing interrupts, this continues until Aequitus arrives.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-10, 12:49 AM
Gate, Leah

"I am here to join. To 'vanquish the forces of tyranny and oppression', as you've said."
Leah bows to the gatekeeper, then looks at him impassively. Behind her glasses her eyes are curious, but she tries not to show it.
"May I enter?"

The gatekeeper sighs and opens the gate for her. Guko will come up to greet her, as usual, hefting his little crossbow.
"Hiya, Miss. You look like you could use some rest. You want to take a break before you see Mister 'Quitus? He won't mind."

Recaiden
2014-01-10, 01:07 AM
Leah practically skips through the gate, she's finally here!, and then leans heavily against the wall on the inside (staying just the tiniest bit of distance away from actually touching it).
"A rest would be nice. Aequitus is meeting all of the prospective members? Oh, where would you like me to wait?"
It's probably best to be polite here, she thinks.

Hattish Thing
2014-01-10, 01:32 AM
Driving By:

The ever-prospective businessman by the name of Marciano saw a bit of an opportunity in the new and most likely profitable organization known as Aegis. He arrives in a bright orange and white sports car, all stripes and brilliant shining paint. It looks like candy in the bright sun, expensive and very stylish. It's a luxurious vehicle, and the man riding it was rather fond of luxury. It parks outside of the place, and after a minute or two of gathering his things inside, Marciano Louv're steps out, a big black suitcase in hand to match his white and orange pin striped suit. He really liked those colors apparently.

He's wearing sunglasses and his hair is slicked back. He's smoking a rather thick cigar, and takes it out before blowing a few "O"s of foul smelling smoke before speaking. Hello there? I'd like to see the head of this flourishing establishment. M'name's Marciano, and I have a bit of some charity work to get over with, so please let's try and hurry this up, thaaaank ya. He's very pleasant about it, though he's more than a little annoyed at the long drive here.

Lady Serpentine
2014-01-10, 09:46 AM
[Front Gate - Some Other Time]

A woman in a long, dark green, zippered coat with wide sleeves and a hood, the rest of her body hidden by her outer garments, approaches the gate, though she pauses a short distance away, waiting to see what sort of response she gets.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-10, 09:58 AM
Inside the Gate

"Well, as long as we tell him you're here I'm sure he won't mind if you get out of the cold. There's the keep itself, a few houses which you'll probably pick out anyway, and our steamy hatchery, which is supposed to be for dragons but probably ok if you really want hot water."
She probably doesn't need to bother being polite when talking to such a young kid.

outside the gate

The gatekeeper does not speak unless spoken to. The woman will have to do something.

Lady Serpentine
2014-01-10, 10:17 AM
outside the gate

The gatekeeper does not speak unless spoken to. The woman will have to do something.

In which case, she politely hails them!

"May I enter? I have questions for the members, regarding this place..."

UncleWolf
2014-01-10, 11:14 AM
Poppy Field

"The Light didn't create me, but that doesn't mean I can't worship it." Aequitus points out as he watches the clouds. "As I said, it's the ideals that are important, not the name or appearance. Maybe that's all you need to search for if you wish. Simply an ideal or belief to fight for."

Vampire and Intruder

(Duck, Ark, please keep in mind the use of location tags like the above one. It makes it easier to recognize scenes when there are a lot going on)

The pair will find Aequitus approaching on foot, shield and sword drawn with his entirety glowing brightly with light though now it seems angry compared to the soft glow of warm sunlight he normally gives off. Any trace of mirth is gone from his face and his lips are tight by the time he reaches them. If the intruder is going to try to flee, it's a good idea to attempt to do so before he gets there as he'll try to rest the tip of his holy blade against her throat. There won't be any pressure, but the edge is still sharp enough to leave a small cut and the holy energies it gives off probably doesn't help either. Not just that, but silver has been added to the tip and poured into the blood groove through the middle, meaning that if the blade is stabbed through something weak to silver, it's going to hurt.

Unlike the blade, the sunlight he gives off won't hurt anything except for things specifically weak to such. Aside from that it gives off some warmth but not enough to burn people.

"Why did you attack my people?"

Pelor & Monk

"This is a place for honesty, not deception." The Techno-Paladin points out. "To attempt to trick someone who was merely asking for assistance through a public heartfelt plea does not sit well with me when you claim to have the same goals. I ask that you keep such in mind, and if you find that you cannot find the ability to do so, that you then leave. If a person cannot be open and plain here, in a place where we will be forced to rely upon one another for not just our lives, but the lives of others, then this is the wrong place for them." Aequitus says gently before raising an eyebrow at the monk. "The choice is yours."

Driving By

Aequitus is waiting by the time Marciano walks up. Eventually he frowns at the pitch and shakes his head. "No." He says rather bluntly. "Charity that is forced is not charity. It isn't true self-sacrifice and means nothing if it isn't given from your heart. Nor is this a place of community service. Coming here just to buy relief for your soul on a temporary basis makes a mockery of what this place represents. If you have come here to do either of those things, then I apologize as I must ask you to leave."

Gate - Leah

"Need help, Miss?" Aequitus asks, adjusting a bag of cement on his shoulder as he walks over.

Outside The Gate

"What sort of questions?" The Techno-Paladin asks as his head pops out from over the wall as he climbs on top of it, apparently getting ready to do some work on it if the tool box is any hint.

GrandDM
2014-01-10, 11:22 AM
Pelor & Monk

"This is a place for honesty, not deception." The Techno-Paladin points out. "To attempt to trick someone who was merely asking for assistance through a public heartfelt plea does not sit well with me when you claim to have the same goals. I ask that you keep such in mind, and if you find that you cannot find the ability to do so, that you then leave. If a person cannot be open and plain here, in a place where we will be forced to rely upon one another for not just our lives, but the lives of others, then this is the wrong place for them." Aequitus says gently before raising an eyebrow at the monk. "The choice is yours."

"I simply prefer to take the measure of a man before committing myself to anything. I do not lie as a habit. Your words both now and then have given me what I need, and I can promise that I am trustworthy."

Lady Serpentine
2014-01-10, 11:24 AM
Outside The Gate

"What sort of questions?" The Techno-Paladin asks as his head pops out from over the wall as he climbs on top of it, apparently getting ready to do some work on it if the tool box is any hint.

"Well, to name one that's close to my heart... What's your position on undead and infernal entities?", the cleric replies, throwing back her hood to reveal that she's at least partially one of the latter, to judge by the small, straight, black horns coming from her forehead; she also has blonde hair, and rather pale skin. "Others would, for instance, include your methodology."

Arkhosia
2014-01-10, 11:29 AM
Vampire & Intruder

Valois's eyes widen at the sight of Aequitus.
She tries to hastily back away from Aequitus, obviously afraid of him from her body language, but stops as he blade is brought to her throat. She winces: slightly weak to silver, apparently.
Because you would know I was there if I didn't. Not that it worked out, anyways.

happyturtle
2014-01-10, 11:45 AM
Poppy Field

Poppy Field

"The Light didn't create me, but that doesn't mean I can't worship it." Aequitus points out as he watches the clouds. "As I said, it's the ideals that are important, not the name or appearance. Maybe that's all you need to search for if you wish. Simply an ideal or belief to fight for."

"But what purpose does worship serve? Who benefits?" Nora asks, frustration in her voice, as she struggles to understand the concept.

Recaiden
2014-01-10, 02:06 PM
Even children deserve courtesy. Leah turns to Aequitus when he approaches, shaking her head.
"Oh, no. I'm here to help [I]you. We're repairing the walls? Where should I start?"
The voice might be familiar to him. It's rather different when actually heard, but is quite similar to the first voice that answered his prayer in the temple.
Leah is glancing around to look for where he brought the cement from and which parts of the wall are being rebuilt, if any visibly are. And of course he could be doing something else.

Hattish Thing
2014-01-10, 02:25 PM
Driving By

Aequitus is waiting by the time Marciano walks up. Eventually he frowns at the pitch and shakes his head. "No." He says rather bluntly. "Charity that is forced is not charity. It isn't true self-sacrifice and means nothing if it isn't given from your heart. Nor is this a place of community service. Coming here just to buy relief for your soul on a temporary basis makes a mockery of what this place represents. If you have come here to do either of those things, then I apologize as I must ask you to leave."

Marcy raises an eyebrow at Aequitus, before smiling his slightly disappointed smile. This was supposed to go much easier. He blinks a few times before opening his mouth to speak. He pauses and scratches at his neck before responding again. Ahah... erm. No. Not really. I'm not here looking to buy things or whatever. Buuuut, seeing as you guys still are a bit of a fledgling organization, I thought it'd be behooving of me to offer a hand in friendship and love for my fellow man. I myself really appreciate what you plan on doing for the good people of Nexus... So, if you may, I'd like to offer some charity. A decent-sized fund to help you guys get the place running faster, and to have everything going smoother...

Duck999
2014-01-10, 06:14 PM
Vampire and Intruder

Domnus looks towards Aequitus to explain. I came across his visitor whil exploring. She lied about her name. I said you could help her. She expressed some disgust. When I called out to the gatekeeper, I was going to say that they were a liar. Not wanting to be revealed, she attacked me, until stopped by the gatekeeper. That is all that has happened.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-10, 07:42 PM
Gate- Leah

"No no, Miss, that's our job. Mister 'Quitus should know better too, but we can't really say no to him." pipes in Guko innocently.

Outside the Gate

The gatekeeper sticks his head back in and lets Aeq talk. He'll open the gate when the time comes, but otherwise can be skipped.

Lord Magtok
2014-01-11, 01:57 PM
An Expected Guest

Oh look, it's Magt-

Wait no, that's not Magtok...is it? Magtok's supposed to be wacky and eccentric and devious and crafty, not clad in a pauper's ugly brown robe, barefoot, sneezing from all the pollen in the area, and exhausted from walking all the way here instead of teleporting over or taking a vehicle like any halfway sane bazillionaire would. Nope, has to be some other guy, Maggy's not that poor and/or stupid. :smallyuk:

Deathkeeper
2014-01-11, 02:08 PM
An Expected Guest

Sadly, our robed Mag has one last obstacle in his way before he can embarrass himself in front of the resident techno-paladin. The gate.
Now, all he has to do is ask the gatekeeper to pull the lever, but I'm sure he'll find some way to screw that up.

Lord Magtok
2014-01-11, 07:26 PM
An Expected Guest

After a trio of consecutive sneezes and one rather passionate burst of foul language, Magtok finally manages to regain his senses and ability to speak coherently, and greets the kobold door guy properly.

"Knock knock?"

Deathkeeper
2014-01-11, 07:30 PM
An Expected Guest

Gako the gatekeeper (and Guko's twin brother) pokes his head out, along with a box of tissues.
"What's yer business?"
It's a good thing kobolds don't have much visible facial expression, or it'd be more easy for Magtok to tell that the little reptile is relishing the schadenfreude of the situation. Silly humans with their feet not being able to walk on things. And allergic to small harmless plants. And not wearing properly thick clothes for this temperature.

Lord Magtok
2014-01-11, 08:13 PM
An Expected Guest

As easy as it would be for Magtok to fly up there and snatch the box right out of the kobold's arms, he decides to stay put and shout up at the guy instead.

"Same thing as the last twenty people to show up here. Recruitment. I just have more stupid baggage and senseless anxiety about it than most. Can I have a tissue?"

Deathkeeper
2014-01-11, 08:19 PM
An Expected Visitor

The gatekeeper shrugs and pulls himself back inside. The gates will open up, leaving Guko to make sure he doesn't do anything (especially) stupid once inside and before talking to Aequitus. And he's also now holding that box of tissues out to him.
"Gee mister, looks like you could use a little cleaning up. And those things that people without decent feet use. Uh, boots?"
I sure hope Magtok isn't easily annoyed by kids and/or innocent prattling.

UncleWolf
2014-01-11, 10:55 PM
Poppy Fields

"You and what you worship both benefit. The Ideal or God gains a small measure of power from your belief while you gain the same." He admits as he holds up his hand, focusing slightly to make it glow gold. "There is a school of thought that this is merely the manifestation of one's own beliefs, rather than the power of a god. But does it truly matter where the power comes from as long as you believe in something?"

Pelor and Monk

"But that is the issue. I cannot know if your promise is true." Aequitus points out. "While I am willing to accept you, you'll have to earn my trust. There is no room for trickery or deception here."

Outside The Gate

"I have had few good experiences with such." Aequitus admits as he sets the toolbox down and hops off the wall to get a closer look. "Tell me why you are any different than the DeVirals that ran rampant through my home, destroying and deceiving."

Vampire and Intruder

"And why did that bother you?" He asks, still frowning and no closer to removing the blade than before.

Inside The Gate

Aequitus gives an embarrassed smile and sets the bag down. "Apologies, I'm still used to working as often as I can." He admits to the kobold before he looks back at the newcomer. "Can you run a plow? We have plenty of land between the walls that can be converted to farmland."

Driving By

"Ah, the theory of Indulgences." Aequitus says mostly to himself with a shake of his head. "If you think giving away money will redeem whatever you've done, it will not work here. Atonement works in different ways."

Arkhosia
2014-01-11, 11:00 PM
Vamp & Intruder

Because your kind has been the bane of my existence!
Valois yells.

Lord Magtok
2014-01-11, 11:12 PM
An Expected Guest

"It's a pilgrimage thing. I'm trying to get into the mindset of a penitent sinner begging for redemption and salvation and junk. Sort out how this whole morality business is supposed to work, instead of just doing whatever's easiest and convenient and justifying it after the fact. It hasn't been working, but if I just stop now, this annoying little nagging voice in the back of my head is going to harass me for quitting, saying I just didn't try hard enough, didn't want to be good enough, or didn't stick with the whole pilgrim thing long enough."

Magtok blows his nose, throws the tissue into a portal leading into a roaring fire, and then takes a second one, which is used instead to wipe his face.

"Nothing was specified about tissues, though. Boots, yes, and hovering here would've been cheating, too. I don't write these stupid rules, I just follow them and then immediately regret doing so."

Deathkeeper
2014-01-11, 11:32 PM
An Expected Visitor

"Well, Mister, I dunno about that. I don't think we'd have turned you away if you'd had the clothes you wanted. We try not to judge. You must be here to see Mister 'Quitus, though. I can take you to him, if you want. Uh, now that you're here you should be allowed to take a hot bath. We have those, and I don't remember being told that anyone can't use them." says Guko. This guy is weird. But "Mister Quitus" said not to turn anyone down if they seemed serious about joining. And so far he's not the suspicious kind of weird...

GrandDM
2014-01-12, 02:55 AM
Pelor and Monk

"But that is the issue. I cannot know if your promise is true." Aequitus points out. "While I am willing to accept you, you'll have to earn my trust. There is no room for trickery or deception here."

"That depends on the type of trickery. I am an old man. I know many sorts of tricks and deception, much of which is useful in a fight. These I will not forfeit. But I will be truthful to you and the others that reside here otherwise."

happyturtle
2014-01-12, 04:32 AM
Poppy Fields

Poppy Fields

"You and what you worship both benefit. The Ideal or God gains a small measure of power from your belief while you gain the same." He admits as he holds up his hand, focusing slightly to make it glow gold. "There is a school of thought that this is merely the manifestation of one's own beliefs, rather than the power of a god. But does it truly matter where the power comes from as long as you believe in something?"

Nora considers the question seriously. "Yes. If the power comes from you, then it is yours. If it comes from another entity, then that entity can withdraw it."

Lord Magtok
2014-01-12, 10:13 AM
An Expected Guest

"No no, this isn't about your rules. This is about convincing myself that I'm actually genuine about being here and doing this. There's been studies where people who were hazed into a thing wound up way more dedicated and such to it than people in another group, without that. More self-justification and stuff. 'I went through all of that to be in Phi Kappa Beta, and I'm not mentally unwell, so obviously I did all of that because PKB is the best. Obviously.'

In short, I'm doing amateur unlicensed psychology nonsense on myself, and failing miserably, I think, but if I stop now, I might just miss the invisible line that, once crossed, allows me to completely and totally fall for everything I just said. If I give up now, I'll have-"

Magtok's robes turn back to purple, his feet are inside shoes once more, and he's gulping down an entire bottle of water, splashing a small fraction of it in his face to try to look presentable in a hurry.

"Screw it, you're right, this was stupid. Clearly not going to work if I actually know what's going on. Like how people who know about Stockholm Syndrome don't get it, I think, or at least don't realize they're getting it if they know what it is. Blegh, and I'd just wind up feeling guilty for making myself look pathetic, and accuse myself of trying to manipulate Aequitus through pity and sympathy and junk. Maybe it would've been better if I showed up drunk instead, and blamed it on nerves beca-wait no, I'd still wind up accusing myself of trying to get pity from the paladin, except it'd be worse, because I'd have a hangover. Shoot."

Magtok stretches out that last word, coming very close to swearing before he remembers he has no idea how old the kobold he's talking to actually is. Is it a smart idea to have children (even if they are ugly lizard children) running around a place meant to attract evil like this one?

Deathkeeper
2014-01-12, 10:29 AM
An Expected Guest

Guko is ten, which is somewhere between 12 and 14 to a kobold's shorter lifespan. His voice is a bit high-pitched, but then, plenty of kobolds have shrill voices, so it might be hard to tell. The kobolds don't really have a high value on life due to the whole "the community is more important" thing. Besides, Guko is only there to stand watch on off-days and escort people who have already been cleared by the gatekeeper, and since the place has been open for all of three days now there can't be infiltrators already, can there? That one lady was just crazy. And they all live here, so if they get invaded they're all screwed anyway.
The lizard just stands and lets Mag talk, with that face kids make when they're innocently humoring you and letting you talk despite having no idea what's going on.
"I dunno, Mister. I think you second-guess yourself too much. But that's just me. Mister 'Quitus can wait if you want a minute."

Lady Serpentine
2014-01-12, 12:30 PM
Outside The Gate

"I have had few good experiences with such." Aequitus admits as he sets the toolbox down and hops off the wall to get a closer look. "Tell me why you are any different than the DeVirals that ran rampant through my home, destroying and deceiving."

[Outside the Gate]

"For one thing, I am only half daemon," the woman points out quietly, tone carrying a surprising amount of authority for someone who looks like she's barely in her twenties, if that, apparently taking this rather seriously. "And, more importantly," she continues, a strange, hard, note coming into her voice, angry, to some extent, but controlled. "I am a cleric of Carrion Grim, Guide of Lost Souls and Keeper of Broken Hearts!"

As her voice rings out across the field, not a shout, but carrying all the same, and forceful, a pair of light grey wings, with eyes at the joints, flare from her back, glowing with holy energy, and apparently at least partly formed from it, if there's anyone present who can tell that; her own eyes take on a similar glow, as eight made purely of that same energy, in two columns of four, appear in the air to either side of her.

Recaiden
2014-01-12, 04:14 PM
[Inside the Gate]

Leah shakes her hand at Guko.
"No, it's not just you."

To Aequitus she nods, slowly.
"Well, I've never done it before, but I know how it's supposed to go, and I can try. Where's the plow to get started?"

UncleWolf
2014-01-13, 01:01 PM
Poppy Field

"Even if the power came from within, you'd lose it once you lost your faith, wouldn't you? If that's what fuels it." Aequitus points out before pondering for a moment. "Would you like me to show you how to harness such?"

Inside the Gate

"We'll start tomorrow, but it's a three plow set-up. Since we lack pack animals, it'll be harnessed to me." Aequitus points out. "No worries, my armor will help me pull." He tells Leah with a smile.

Outside the Gate

The half-demon's show doesn't seems to impress Aequitus for at the end he just shakes his head. "You didn't answer my question. I asked why you are different. A lightshow isn't an explanation."

Vamp & Intruder

The blade is drawn away from the vampire's neck before Aequitus attempts to grab her the the scruff of her clothing in order to pull her up, off her feet. The way his eyes seem to glow tells everyone that he is royally pissed off. If he is able to grab her, he'll begin to speak in a cold voice. "My kind? Ever since I have arrived to this world, I have been met with either complete awe or complete fear. I have done nothing to you. Neither has my Order. And neither has anyone here. And do you know why?" He asks before letting go, allowing her to drop to the ground as the fire dies out of his eyes.

"Because we're not like you. Now go. No one will shoot."

Monk & Pelor

"We shall see." Aequitus says before turning to the Paladin of Pelor. "And you?"

happyturtle
2014-01-13, 01:08 PM
Poppy Field

"I don't have faith!" Nora says, getting to her feet as her frustration starts to make her angry. "I have my body, my mind, and my Empee. I don't need a deity to make me a better soldier!"

Lady Serpentine
2014-01-13, 01:22 PM
Outside the Gate

The half-demon's show doesn't seems to impress Aequitus for at the end he just shakes his head. "You didn't answer my question. I asked why you are different. A lightshow isn't an explanation."

"Your meaningless question received just as much reply as it was worth," she answers, shrugging, apparently not taking well at all to him. "For one thing, you have not, as yet, provided me with any information on them, to determine what the differences even are, aside from general charges - am I supposed to read your mind? I am not a psion, and I would not pry into memories even if I were."

She glares at him, folding her wings neatly as she does, before continuing. "Besides which, I could as well ask why you are not like those humans who murder families - or the ones who would hate simply for the color of one's skin, or who they chose to bed.

And those, I am sure, existed in your home as well, so at least it would not be so unfair as judging my mother's kind and all the rest by beings from a plane none of us have ever seen."

Arkhosia
2014-01-13, 02:15 PM
Vampire and Intruder

Aequitus succeeds!
As he lefts her up, Tyra grabs his wrist like you'd expect, and tightens her grip, trying to mar the paladin's armor with her sharp glove tips. Not to hurt, but more as a reminder of her reply. Her eyes shine with rage and defiance.
As Aequitus lets go, she does not collapse on the ground, but merely stays aloft with her enormous, batlike wings.
My kind has suffered so much death and pain from members of your order. I'm proud to not be like you.
She utters defiantly, yet slightly weakly due to the previous injury, before flying away.

UncleWolf
2014-01-13, 04:04 PM
Poppy Field

"It was merely an offer." Aequitus says, trying to calm her. "And one that will always stay open if you wish."

Outside the Gate

Aequitus holds up a hand to try and soothe her. "If I were any of those things, why would I even be here? I have vampires, undead, and kobolds working with me and I have made a point of working with rather than over them. The kobolds may call me Master, but I do not treat them as anything less than equal. And my question was far from meaningless. I was asking was why you were different and seemed to go on a path that is the opposite of your heritage. Is it because you are a half-breed and thus have your own mind, or because of freedom of choice belonging to the demonic half that didn't seem to exist for such beings in my world? We never had half-breeds. The DeVirals were more of a representation of corruption and temptation given form."

Intruder & Vampire

"You don't even know the name of my Order." Aequitus growls after her before turning his back. Considering that Aequitus knows he is literally the last member of his Order, being accused of something he never did doesn't sit well with him.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-13, 04:12 PM
[Inside the Gate]

Leah shakes her hand at Guko.
"No, it's not just you."

To Aequitus she nods, slowly.
"Well, I've never done it before, but I know how it's supposed to go, and I can try. Where's the plow to get started?"

Inside the Gate

"We'll start tomorrow, but it's a three plow set-up. Since we lack pack animals, it'll be harnessed to me." Aequitus points out. "No worries, my armor will help me pull." He tells Leah with a smile.

Inside the Gate

I'll admit, I really don't know what Leah is doing or referring to at the beginning of the post. Guko will let the two talk, although sticks around if Leah will need directions or a tour guide.

Aric Kale
2014-01-13, 04:27 PM
Outside the Library

Clara leaves her humble abode, deciding to explore the castle a bit, and the library sounds like a nice place to visit. However, when she gets to the door, she feels magic upon it, and decides to leave it be. Instead, she invokes the protective chant which keeps anything from invading her mind and searches beyond the entrance, searching for a reason to bar the door so securely.

Morty
2014-01-13, 04:28 PM
[The Path to Aegis]

It appears another person has answered the call. A broad-shouldered man in a curious-looking armour, composed of a shirt of small metal scales with a set of larger plates covering his stomach and shoulders. There's a tall, plumed helmed on his head. He carries a large shield with a sun motif on his arm and there's a short, broad sword at his side. He appears rather downcast and out of place.

Recaiden
2014-01-13, 04:28 PM
[Inside the Gate]

Leah was responding to "No no, Miss, that's our job." Clearly it is everyone's job to help where they can. She doesn't need Guko around right now.

"I...uh...could...get pack animals to pull the plow. I'm sure you have better things to do, that require actually knowing what you're doing, and not just strength." She looks up hopefully; that seems like it would be helpful.

"Not that you couldn't do it, but..."

Hattish Thing
2014-01-13, 04:32 PM
Driving By

"Ah, the theory of Indulgences." Aequitus says mostly to himself with a shake of his head. "If you think giving away money will redeem whatever you've done, it will not work here. Atonement works in different ways."

Marciano chuckles a bit. Ahaha, no, no sir. I'm not trying to redeem myself or anything, there are plenty of churches about to go to if I'd ever want to do something like that. Buuuuut, as a wealthy man of the Nexus, I've always found it nice to donate sometimes. I'm a philanthropist, sir. And your org obviously cares more about the good of the common man, protecting the poor and defenseless. That's a good aim. I like it. As such, I thought it'd be suitable for a good man such as myself ta offer ya some monetary assistance! This place could use a bigger builder crew, and some workers. Not to mention some better armor and weaponry for members access, Im sure.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-13, 04:38 PM
The Path, and the Gate

The Gatekeeper sticks his head out of the gatehouse as always at his approach.
"State your business, Sir."

Intruder and Vampire

Guko will climb down from his post on the wall to meet Aequitus as he re-enters the fortress.
"Are you alright, Mister Quitus?" he says, looking way up at him with his reptilian but innocent eyes.
(oh and for the record, few of the kobolds would call him Master. Most would say some variant of "Sir," as Master is usually used by apprentices. But semantics.)

Lady Serpentine
2014-01-13, 04:44 PM
Outside the Gate

She doesn't seem terribly soothed, but she does at least stop glaring (as do the (likely somewhat disconcerting) eyes next to her), so that's something.

"Very well. In that case, it is the latter; my daemon-mother is one of the best people I know, and also a cleric, of an allied faith to mine - to my knowledge, for that matter, she has never had so much as a doctrinal conflict with my other mother, who is a paladin.

I also have met several other daemons of the same kind, and they share her tendency to goodness, if being a little strange in some ways."

Morty
2014-01-13, 04:46 PM
[The Path, and the Gate]

The man is taken aback, but calms down a little. What is this... thing doing here?

"I was told that this place was recruiting warriors for a righteous cause. Was I mistaken?"

Deathkeeper
2014-01-13, 04:53 PM
The Path and the Gate

"No, that's us." says Gako simply, pulling himself back in. The gates will open for the man. You've got to love the lack of screening here. The man will be greeted by an even smaller kobold armed with a crossbow and a lot of warm clothes.
"Hiya, Mister. If you wanna join, you'll want to talk to Mister...Aaeequitus. He's the big blond human in the fancy armor, if you see him around. I can show you around first if you're interested, though."
Even without knowing many talking reptiles it's easy to tell that this is a youth. He draws out the first syllable in Aequitus' name because he has trouble pronouncing it but wants to get it right.

Morty
2014-01-13, 05:02 PM
[The Path, and the Gate]

The warrior assumes that these strange, scaled midgets are servants, or perhaps slaves in this place. But they're strangely bold for such. He'll have to clear it up once he meets this Aequitus. What a strange land the gods saw him fit to reach.

"No need. I will seek him out first."

Duck999
2014-01-13, 05:31 PM
Vamp and intruder.

Domnus watches the intruder leave. He turns to Aequitus. Thank you. Unless told not to, Domnus leaves to continue to explore.

UncleWolf
2014-01-13, 07:30 PM
Outer Gate - Later

Despair awkwardly nods, his vaguely Corinthian-style helmet shifting behind the bevor of the suit.

"Caution certainly makes sense, then. When such a time comes as a platoon is formed to address this, however, I will be there. A foul presence in the very heart of one's fortress is a deadly weakness, and one I doubt we can afford if our enemies are as dire as claimed.

If I may ask, where are the living spaces? I may persevere longer than most, but I still become as fatigued as any other manner of creature after days on the road."

"Select any house you wish, though if you require a place of absolute darkness, we can find a room inside the Spire that may be comfortable enough to live in." Aequitus suggests.

Inside the Wall

The Techno-Paladin smiles gently. "Eventually that would be good, but I'm used to the hard work and consider it good for the soul."

Vampire and Intruder

Aequitus nods to the Vampire, allowing him to go before Guko arrives. A moment later, he holds up a finger to tell him to wait a second. The Techno-Paladin slowly makes a fist with the same hand before turning with surprising speed and slamming it into a solid part of the wall with a resounding crack as stones splinter and a small crater is made. His armor is unmarred and his hand appears to be okay, but his shoulders slump in defeat. "I'll repair that, my apologies."

Library

The "door" Clara finds turns out to be a boulder set into place in front of the door with protective sigils written on it already. If Clara has been told about the Library, she'd know that the room was sealed by Aequitus and that eventually he's going to send a group of people to check it out in order to destroy whatever lies in wait. Does she still try to find out what's inside?

Outside the Gate

At that, Aequitus gives a genuine smile. It's small, but it really is a happy one. "It's wonderful to hear that there are worlds where such things can happen. And it sounds like your parents should be proud of what you've chosen to do." He tells her, offering his hand.

Duck999
2014-01-13, 07:40 PM
Vampire and Intruder

Checking to see if she came back? Well, I'll be on my way. Domnus starts to leave, then stops. If anyone comes by one of these names, they are likely that same woman and should be questioned. Domnus lists all the names that the intrjder gave to him. Unless interrupted, Domnus leaves.

Aric Kale
2014-01-13, 07:54 PM
Library

As far as I can remember, Clara Tovell was not informed about the library. Even if she was, she makes no effort to enter the room itself, simply letting her mind seek out a presence. Currently, she's under the effect of a mental ward against evil invading her mind, but this doesn't stop her from infiltrating the mind of evildoers.

Lady Serpentine
2014-01-13, 08:05 PM
Outside the Gate

At that, Aequitus gives a genuine smile. It's small, but it really is a happy one. "It's wonderful to hear that there are worlds where such things can happen. And it sounds like your parents should be proud of what you've chosen to do." He tells her, offering his hand.

She gladly takes his hand, thawing enough to offer him a similar smile, pleased with the compliment. "They are... My paladin-mother helped preside over my raising to High Cleric, in fact.

And I agree. I'm sorry to hear your own wasn't one of them, and I apologize for the misunderstanding. I tend to be a little touchy about such things, especially since people tend to assume that just because she's a death goddess, Aunt Carrie and her followers are all evil even if they aren't part daemon..."

Deathkeeper
2014-01-13, 08:18 PM
The Path and the Gate

Guko will nod to the newcomer. He'll give a small blow to the horn he carries, which he's supposed to do to let folks know that people showed up to join and someone (Aequitus until more higher-ups get promoted) should come and sign them up.
And Guko will show the man inside, but until Aeq comes to take over it's still his job to keep an eye on him.

After the Intruder

Guko squeaks in surprise as Aeq smashes the wall. He stares wide-eyed, but then his expression hardens.
"Sir, there's nothing to be done, and nothing that could have been done. That person didn't know anything about any of us, and was pretty clearly not right in the head in the first place. There's nothing that you should let get to you."
He...sounds kind of weird suddenly having a decent vocabulary.

Recaiden
2014-01-13, 11:27 PM
[Inside the Gate]

Leah nods. Mustn't disagree with Aequitus, even if that doesn't make sense to her. If he's going to stop doing the work eventually, what makes the future better for it?
"I understand. I will be there tomorrow morning when you're ready."
Unless Aequitus tries to stop her, she heads off towards the spire.

happyturtle
2014-01-14, 07:53 AM
Poppy Field

"It was merely an offer." Aequitus says, trying to calm her. "And one that will always stay open if you wish."

"I will join, if you will have me. But I will not worship your gods." Nora says, finally.

Vampire and Intruder

Aequitus nods to the Vampire, allowing him to go before Guko arrives. A moment later, he holds up a finger to tell him to wait a second. The Techno-Paladin slowly makes a fist with the same hand before turning with surprising speed and slamming it into a solid part of the wall with a resounding crack as stones splinter and a small crater is made. His armor is unmarred and his hand appears to be okay, but his shoulders slump in defeat. "I'll repair that, my apologies."

After the Intruder

Guko squeaks in surprise as Aeq smashes the wall. He stares wide-eyed, but then his expression hardens.
"Sir, there's nothing to be done, and nothing that could have been done. That person didn't know anything about any of us, and was pretty clearly not right in the head in the first place. There's nothing that you should let get to you."
He...sounds kind of weird suddenly having a decent vocabulary.

Nora arrives on the scene in time to see the wall smashing. She doesn't say anything, but her face softens a bit, her eyes showing sympathy.

Anger is an emotion she knows all too well.

UncleWolf
2014-01-14, 01:32 PM
Poppy Field

"There was never a requirement that you had to worship something to join. And I'd be glad to have you, Nora." Aequitus says with a dazzling smile.

Smashed Wall

Aequitus lets out another deep breath and gives a small nod. "No, she didn't know. But as I said, this is...typical here. We can all expect to face such attitudes. Even so, I apologize again for my brashness. I ought to be better than that."

Inside the Gate

"Get some rest and at nightfall be at the Hall. I'll have meals prepared for everyone." He tells Leah, still smiling.

Outside the Gate

"Sometime I'd like to hear more about them." Aequitus says as he shakes the paladin's hand. "And I have no qualms with Death. It is merely another part of the world we live in."

Library

Alright, either way she'll find the boulder. Once she reaches past it with her mind though she'll feel a very powerful presence scraping against her ward. There's no actual mind, simply a...desire. A very strong one, but she won't be able to tell what it is unless she actually lets down her guard.

Path and the Gate

Aequitus makes his way to the gate after a few moments and nods to the newcomer. "May I help you?"

Lord Magtok
2014-01-14, 01:38 PM
An Expected Guest

Guko is ten, which is somewhere between 12 and 14 to a kobold's shorter lifespan. His voice is a bit high-pitched, but then, plenty of kobolds have shrill voices, so it might be hard to tell. The kobolds don't really have a high value on life due to the whole "the community is more important" thing. Besides, Guko is only there to stand watch on off-days and escort people who have already been cleared by the gatekeeper, and since the place has been open for all of three days now there can't be infiltrators already, can there? That one lady was just crazy. And they all live here, so if they get invaded they're all screwed anyway.
The lizard just stands and lets Mag talk, with that face kids make when they're innocently humoring you and letting you talk despite having no idea what's going on.
"I dunno, Mister. I think you second-guess yourself too much. But that's just me. Mister 'Quitus can wait if you want a minute."

"When I believe and trust in my own judgement, people die. Lots of them, violently, and often without just cause. I'll find a happy medium in time, but at least if I'm spending every second doubting myself, I'm not racking up a body count."

It just occurred to Magtok that he's admitted to being a horrible, murderous evil monster to the child. Oops! Let's hope that doesn't lead to any sort of trouble down the road!

"I'll, err...I'll wait here."

happyturtle
2014-01-14, 02:04 PM
Poppy Field

Nora smiles back, briefly changing her face from its usual scowling expression. "I will pack and return in a few hours," she says.

Smashed Wall

"The realborn fear Special Forces. The colonists fear the Colonial Defense Forces," Nora says. "If we are feared for what we do, that doesn't change what we must do."

Deathkeeper
2014-01-14, 02:04 PM
An Expected Guest

Guko will take that as him just having a really long line of terrible decisions and enough power to make those have bad effects. He knows that's probably not it, but the poor kid tries really hard to be optimistic.
He'll nod to Magtok and call Aequitus again. He feels bad that the poor guy has to do all of these, but he doesn't seem to mind.

The Path and the Gate

As usual, Guko can be skipped once Aeq arrives unless he's addressed.

Smashed Wall

Guko shakes his head.
"No, 'Quitus, it's not. We've always been the kinda people that others like stepping on. We'd have to be zombies for it to get any worse. And none of us feel that way, and we never have, even before we had a God helping us. If you think that anyone feels like that, you know that it's because of folks who aren't us, and won't be us. If you know that someone's wrong, as long as you're against that untruth, there's no point in keeping it in your head. There's no point at all."
Apparently Guko thinks a lot when he's standing around guarding places and dealing with ten years of sorry condition.

Morty
2014-01-14, 02:28 PM
[Path and the Gate]

"Perhaps," the armoured man says, staring at Aequitus. What is this man wearing? "I've heard that warriors are needed here. As a Warrior of Sunlight thrown into a strange heathen land and with nowhere else to go, I came to offer my skill."

BladeofObliviom
2014-01-14, 02:40 PM
[Outer Gate - Later]

The revenant knight relaxedly takes a shallow bow, dipping his head down in farewell. Of course, since Aequitus and Despair are presumably from wildly different cultures, the gesture quite probably falls just a little bit flat.

"I do not mind the light. It reminds me why I do not simply lie down and die. May your path stay clear until we next meet."

With that, he takes the first of several long steps away, tattered linen cloak catching just enough air to flow slightly behind him, and disappears into a building.

Lady Serpentine
2014-01-14, 03:10 PM
Outside the Gate

"Sometime I'd like to hear more about them." Aequitus says as he shakes the paladin's hand. "And I have no qualms with Death. It is merely another part of the world we live in."

"I could bring them here, if you like. And I'm glad to hear that - if you wish, I could probably convince my Goddess to come speak to you as well?" She offers him another smile as they shake hands, this one much less chilly. "She's... Surprisingly human, really. Which probably has to do with the fact that she was, until recently. But I suspect I'm starting to preach at you, and I don't think she'd approve when you're already devoted to another deity."

Recaiden
2014-01-16, 03:53 PM
[Inside the Gate]

"If you're counting people for the meal, leave me out. I won't be able to eat it."
Leah waves back to Aequitus and trudges off. She was expecting to be somewhat useless here, but it's still not pleasant.
She wanders off to explore the interior places.

Aric Kale
2014-01-16, 05:37 PM
Library

)(Sorry, I totally thought I had already posted here...)(

Clara decides to retreat, and quickly. Clearly, Aequitus wanted this thing to be contained, hence the runes, and she isn't that skilled of a telepath. Something of this mental magnitude is probably able to dominate her will in moments. The light wizard wraps herself in her cloak and returns to her new home.

Slii Arhem
2014-01-16, 10:08 PM
A Perhaps Unexpected Meeting

Above the spire in a showy, overly dramatic flash of light followed by an equally extravagant wave of pure darkness, Waldorf the archmage arrives. The show of wizardry's effects were twofold, firstly to broadcast his arrival so that he wasn't unduly shot at by anyone thinking to defend the base while it's still in disrepair, and secondly because he so rarely indulges in showmanship these days. At least not of the flashier variety.

He's of average height, with grey-flecked black hair that he's let go down to the nape of his neck in recent months rather than bothering to have it trimmed, and he scans his immediate area with a weary eye, tired of some indeterminable weight he's been shouldering lately.

He lets himself glide down to the ground at an angle, winding up just outside of the front gate, and waits for Aequitus to be available. He doesn't doubt the man will remember him, it hasn't been that long since they met rather rushedly, but it was certainly longer than he intended, and much longer than he would have liked.

UncleWolf
2014-01-17, 03:56 PM
An Expected Guest

It takes a few moments, but Aequitus does appear eventually. His upper half of his armor has been replaced by a plaid shirt for the moment and when he sees Magtok in his penance garb, he gives a deep bow. "I am pleased to see that you've arrived."

Poppy Field

"I'll be sure to have a house ready for you by the time you arrive." Aequitus swears to her with a smile.

Smashed Wall

The Techno-Paladin gives a small nod, mostly to himself. "Alright. Let's head to the Hall. I'll prepare the banquet."

Path and The Gate

"What sort of world did you come from?" The man asks before gesturing along the wall so the pair of them could walk beside it as they talked.

The Outer Gate

"I would like to meet her eventually, yes. But perhaps once this place is more established it would be better." He admits. "I wasn't bothered by the preaching so it's no problem. If you'd like, find yourself a house to share or take one for your own."

Inside the Gate

"Is there any particular reason you don't wish to come?" Aequitus asks, slightly curious yet still not wanting to pry too much.

An Unexpected Visitor

"Thank you for bringing me here." Aequitus tells Waldorf as he steps up to his side, looking at the vast fortress town. "I couldn't have done this without you."

OrchestraHc
2014-01-18, 01:46 AM
Through the Poppy Fields

Wind blows. This, in and of itself, is unsurprising. That's what wind does, and in a big open area like the field it gets to do that a lot. One might as well say the sun shines or the sky blues for all it would normally add to anyone's knowledge of a situation. But in this case, the wind has done something very important. It has blown some yellow petals toward the wall.

We should really get to the important bit already.

What's actually important and happening in the poppy fields right this second is that the aforementioned petals blown by the aforementioned wind have come into the possession of an intelligence that finally believes itself ready to make itself known. Unseen by anyone but rabbits and insects, a snake of yellow petals slivers through the flowers.

The wind blows. Long and fast, it flies eastward to the walls of Aegis. The petals take upward and catch the wind. A thousand pieces acting as one, they spin and swirl as a cohesive unit as they glint in the sunlight. They swirl like a sidewinder snake through the air and over the walls.

As good a place to stop as any, the petals let the long wind leave them behind and stay in a swirl of air above the gatehouse. Rising and diving and swirling like a dragon, the petals call out as a chorus of a thousand little voices, "Aequitus! Aequitus!"

Recaiden
2014-01-18, 05:26 AM
[Inside the Gate]

"I can't eat your food. It's not pleasant to be around at meals."
It probably serves some organizational inspiration function. Realizing this, Leah turns back to Aequtius.
"It's not just a meal, right? I can be there."

happyturtle
2014-01-18, 05:49 AM
Smashed Wall >> Banquet

Nora goes to the banquet. For any who missed the description before, she's a green skinned Special Forces soldier (from the Old Man's War universe) with skin-tight armour and a rather fancy looking rifle.

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/5923/k56v.png (http://tektek.org/av/416523)

Morty
2014-01-18, 12:45 PM
[Path and The Gate]

The Warrior of Sunlight sighs wistfully.

"I come from a beautiful world, where mankind triumphed over the night and the savage non-humans. I grew up in the heart of our empire, and joined the noble order of Warriors of Sunlight to fight for Dażbóg, our great god of the Sun."

Lord Magtok
2014-01-18, 02:30 PM
An Expected Guest

An Expected Guest

It takes a few moments, but Aequitus does appear eventually. His upper half of his armor has been replaced by a plaid shirt for the moment and when he sees Magtok in his penance garb, he gives a deep bow. "I am pleased to see that you've arrived."

"Please don't bow to me." Magtok pleads, cringing at the sight. The cyborg's still doing that whole 'I am unworthy!' thing, I see.

UncleWolf
2014-01-18, 02:57 PM
Inside the Gate

"I'll be making a small speech there as well, yes." Aequitus admits. "As for food, is there any sort of sustenance you require? I can do my best to provide such."

Path and the Gate

"How did you get here?" The Techno-Paladin asks with genuine curiosity.

Expected Guest

The man gets back up and gives a nod of acceptance at the plea. "Were you the same one that I gave the symbol to or are you one of the other clones?"

Through the Poppy Field

Aequitus frowns when the wind and the words catches up to him, but he makes his way to the top of the gatehouse in order to get a clearer view. "I am here." He says, wondering a bit if someone or something was going to answer him or if this was merely a trick to draw him out.

OrchestraHc
2014-01-18, 03:44 PM
Through the poppy fields:

"Oh thank goodness," the petals say in a much less dignified manner as they spiral down to Aequitus' feet. They form a perfect circle around him, arranged like the the scales of a snake.

"Sorry about the theatrics, but when you don't have a body, you struggle to make an impression," the chorus says, all of them managing to sound embarrassed. "And that was a chance to fly like a god for a second and... Quickly losing track of the point."

"Sir," they say respectfully. "I am Sevet, when I had a body I was a minion, made to serve. Even without a body, I still need to serve. I want to serve. This place in general, you specifically. May I?"

Deathkeeper
2014-01-18, 03:55 PM
Smashed Wall

Guko nods and leaves Aequitus to get to the Banquet. He seems to need some time alone.

Lord Magtok
2014-01-19, 12:31 PM
Expected Guest

The man gets back up and gives a nod of acceptance at the plea. "Were you the same one that I gave the symbol to or are you one of the other clones?"

Magtok flinches. That's usually not a concern to anyone, save maybe the women that various clones date, and Magtok's pretty sure Aequitus isn't a woman and that this isn't a date.

"I...yes. Have it right here. Why?"

He pulls the thing out from inside his robe, still strung along his neck on a chain where he left it.

UncleWolf
2014-01-19, 05:48 PM
Through the Poppy Fields

"I do not ask people to serve me. Never will. I am not a Lord, nor do I wish to be treated as such." Aequitus points out. "But what is it that you wish to do?"

An Expected Guest

"I only wanted to see which one you were. I am glad that I may have reached you, even if it is only slightly." Aequitus admits as he reaches out to try and gently take Magtok's hand. "Come, let us find something more suitable to wear for you. Your desire for penance is clear enough, there is no need to continue this. If you wish for something that isn't as luxurious as your usual attire still, I have something that may work if you'll let me give it to you."

Recaiden
2014-01-19, 06:10 PM
Leah shakes her head sharply and resumes walking away from Aequitus.
"Thank you, but don't bother. I will provide for [I]myself."

OrchestraHc
2014-01-19, 06:42 PM

"Even if I'm the one asking?" a single petal from somewhere behind Aequitus mutters.

What do I want to do? the entire ring asks this time. "Serve someone who isn't a mad scientist or a vampire lord. That's what's most of my masters were. I need to serve somebody. Can it please be the good guys this time? Can I please work for someone who isn't actively making other people's lives worse?" they ask, sounding desperate.

Lord Magtok
2014-01-19, 10:39 PM
An Expected Guest

"I only wanted to see which one you were. I am glad that I may have reached you, even if it is only slightly." Aequitus admits as he reaches out to try and gently take Magtok's hand. "Come, let us find something more suitable to wear for you. Your desire for penance is clear enough, there is no need to continue this. If you wish for something that isn't as luxurious as your usual attire still, I have something that may work if you'll let me give it to you."

"I...fine. This ridiculous display was mostly there as a reminder and for my own benefit, but sure." Magtok goes along with Aequitus and his hand is taken, mostly because he can't think of any good reason to protest against any of this.

UncleWolf
2014-01-21, 09:42 AM
Through the Poppy Field

"As I said, I will not have a servant of any form." Aequitus says firmly. "But if you truly wish to work here, then can you work with us instead? As an equal. No one here serves one another and I refuse to let it be that way."

An Expected Visitor

Aequitus stops and shakes his head at the cyborg. "You do not need to punish yourself to remind you that you wish to seek penance." He starts before attempting to take the holy symbol around Magtok's neck in his hand without removing it from his neck. "This is all you need. And you don't need to wear it either. You do not seek redemption of the flesh after all." He points out before attempting to lightly tap Magtok's forehead. "Nor of the mind." He adds.

"Instead, redemption comes from within. From here." He explains as he lets go of the symbol and tries to set the palm of his hand over Magtok's heart. "That is where it matters. No where else." The Techno-Paladin explains, trying to keep his gaze locked with Magtok's the entire time.

OrchestraHc
2014-01-21, 01:24 PM
Through the poppy field:

The petals are silent for a moment. Then "Mmmmmmn" they hem and "Ehhhhhhn" they haw before they all seem to mutter, if a chorus can mutter as well as it hems and haws, "The one knight in the multiverse that doesn't believe in the class system..."

"I can do with. I can be someone's equal fine, I've had those before. I will work with you Aequitus. I'll even avoid bowing and scraping. But uhh... Any rules on pets?" They seem to broach the subject slyly, as if they'd get away with something if Aequitus said they could have one.

UncleWolf
2014-01-22, 01:17 PM
Through the Poppy Field

"No one here is going to take you as a pet either. Nor will I take it kindly should you possess someone's to control it." Aequitus says with a bit of an edge. Trying to skirt the rule about servants probably isn't going to go well.

OrchestraHc
2014-01-22, 02:27 PM

"What? No! What!?" they sound absolutely shocked that that's what he got from it.

"No! How do you even get the exact opposite of what I was asking? First of all, I can't do things with brains. Second, I want a pet. I had a cat, and ser- taking care of that thing was enough to keep me happily in Deadtime for ages. The explosion that separated me from my body killed my cat."

"I'll join either way, but can I have a cat?" they ask bluntly and a smidge miffed

Aric Kale
2014-01-22, 11:45 PM
Housing

Once back at home, Clara twirls in place and the tan uniform she had been wearing changes into a lovely, blue evening dress. She also pulls a small mirror out of one of her hollows and fixes her hair, taking it down from being kept up in a messy bun and letting it hang loose in all of its wavy, chocolate brown glory. Now that's she's presentable, Clara Tovell heads over to the banquet area

UncleWolf
2014-01-23, 03:25 PM
Through The Poppy Fields

"Pardon my misunderstanding. You can have a pet cat." Aequitus says with a slight smile. "What is it that you do though?"

(It can be assumed that whatever the PC is that it can be in the next part of the post depending on how the rest of the conversation goes here)

The Hall - Later That Evening

The Hall is a large open building without walls and a tall ceiling. It is entirely made of wood, from the roof to the support pillars to the floor and tables. A pair of large fires are burning in pits at either end, and in the middle of it all is a long 20ft table entirely covered in food. Much of it is simple affair, being different kinds of fresh breads and hard cheeses and dried meats. Bottles of wine are scattered around and there's even a couple small burners going for tea kettles and coffee pots. There's even one where mulled wine is simmering.

If someone takes a closer look though, quite a bit of it isn't so simple. Like the three foot long suckling style honey glazed grasshopper that seems to be the center piece. And the baskets filled with much small fried ones and abnormally large dragonflies grilled on sticks in a manner so their wings are spread.

For those who wish a less adventurous protein though, there's a couple small roasted pheasants closer to the ends.

Aequitus it seems isn't here, though there is a man who bears a striking resemblance to him sitting in a wheelchair by one of the fires. The man looks just like him except that he doesn't walk. And the fact that he's out of his powered armor. He even shines with sunlight like Aequitus.

So...it's probably him.

The man adjusts his blanket and takes a sip of his mulled wine before speaking. "There is a poem I have found here that I'd like to share with you all before we begin. It is a magnificent one and one that has a bearing on what this place will become." Aequitus tells them all before turning his chair around to look at them.

He pulls a small tablet from his lap takes a moment to focus on it. When he speaks, his voice sounds like it is right next to everyone's ears but not too loud. His voice is sure and solid and full of dark drama.

Half a league...half a league...
Half a league onward.

All in the valley of Death,
  Rode the six hundred.
'Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the guns' he said:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.

'Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
  Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
  Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turned in air
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army while
  All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre-stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
  Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death,
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
  Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
  All the world wonder'd.
Honour the charge they made!
Honour the Light Brigade,
  Noble six hundred!

At the end, Aequitus shuts his eyes and book both for a moment before looking back at everyone. "The Charge of the Light Brigade by Lord Tennyson referring to a battle ages past when lack of solid command, possible rivalries, and honor all coincided to the point where many lives became lost for with little result." He says seriously, his gaze trying to reach the eyes of everyone. "This might very well be a situation we find ourselves in, even if for different reasons. We are not here to do the correct decision all the time. We are here to do the right decision. The good choice. I do not wish for us to end up charging into nearly certain death, but there may be a time that we'll have to. If such should happen, steel your hearts, find your courage, and hold your head high for you surely deserve to. Make no mistake, even if we do our duties to the utmost of our abilities, we are likely to perish during this." The Techno-Paladin admits with a small smile. "But I know nothing better that I would like to die doing."

After a moment, he gives the banquet a gesture. "Everyone, enjoy yourselves tonight. Dine and drink and be merry. If my previous words have given you dismay, I hold not against you. Merely enjoy the banquet and if you decide to leave by morn, I wish you the best of luck."

Aric Kale
2014-01-23, 04:08 PM
The Hall

Clara makes her appearance, sitting nearby one of the teakettles. She's wearing the blue dress mentioned above. It's flattering, yet modest, and she keeps her moonbeam cloak about her at all times. The wizard has left her staff at home, seeing as she doesn't actually need it to perform magic...
After Aequitus finishes the poem, she claps enthusiastically, always having been interested in poetry and the arts. For now, she's content in the knowledge that Wulder is with her, and feels no fear. So, she eats!

Deathkeeper
2014-01-23, 05:26 PM
The Hall

The kobolds are a loud, celebratory bunch. They're not particularly rowdy and for a species that can't chew they make surprisingly little mess. They're just a very community-heavy society, and so they enjoy being all together, and people may have trouble talking to each other if they're sitting right next to their clutter. If anyone tries to get in on their conversations they'll gladly make room and include them. They all hush when Aequitus speaks up, though. And when he's done, their "high" cleric of Spade (they only have three true clerics, although they're all his followers) will offer a short, simple prayer of thanks, which they will not ask anyone to wait for on their account.
And once it's all over Aequitus will get plenty of thanks and well-wishes from the people he's been so considerate to.
For the most part, they know that they're not the front-lines, and while that doesn't mean they don't understand the importance of the lot they've thrown themselves into, they're less worried.

Spade himself will make an appearance though. Aequitus probably won't notice his presence until the Mouse God himself is standing on the armrest of his wheelchair (or the table, or whatever surface that's close and unoccupied) smiling as if he'd been there the whole time.
"It's a nice speech, Sammy, but you've forgotten. If it ever came to a final charge at impossible odds, that's when I can let loose, no bars held. And you know that I'd never let you or your folks bite it if I can help it. Right now the scaley ones are the only folks wearing my symbol, but that doesn't mean I don't look out for my friends. Never forget that ok?
I'm real proud of you, Sam. I only gave you some hands, and you built yourself a foundation. Always being prepared for the worst is just being smart, but if you ask me, you're gonna go far, kid."
Aequitus will be the only person who seems to be seeing or hearing him.

BladeofObliviom
2014-01-23, 06:24 PM
The Hall

Despair is here, though it might take people a moment to recognize him. Right now he isn't wearing armor or weapons, instead having opted for a clean white tunic and beige slacks tied on with a black belt. He's also wearing socks and black shoes, which don't actually fit him very well.

Still, though, he's fairly recognizable thanks to the fact that he's an eight-foot-tall skeleton with glowing yellow eyes. Just in case anyone forgot. :smalltongue:

He sits near Aequitus and respectfully nods with his speech, but doesn't eat afterward. There might be something troubling him, but it's not like anyone would be able to tell that from his appearance. Besides, maybe it's just that he lacks both taste buds and a digestive system and thus gains exactly nothing out of a meal. Or maybe it's just the practical concern that it'll all end up rolling down his pantleg onto the floor anyway.

Actually, Despair has a lot of good reasons to not be eating. Eventually, though, he answers. For the sake of player convenience, though, this can probably happen after the thing with the (Mouse God?) is resolved.

"A fine poem, and an honorable sentiment along with it, but I cannot agree. The Charge of the Light Brigade might have been glorious and doomed, but it saved no one and accomplished nothing but death."

"I remember one famous line, though, that I think better encapsulates our purpose than Tennyson did, with less glory but infinitely more value."

The revenant makes a sound as if to clear his throat (in spite of not having one) and proceeds to quote:

"It goes as thus: 'It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.' The immortal words of a Mister Sydney Carton, placing his head underneath the blade so that another might live."

Despair doesn't actually know that A Tale of Two Cities was a work of fiction, but the sentiment, at least, is valid.

Recaiden
2014-01-23, 10:45 PM
[The Hall]

Leah is here, maybe has been here for a while, sitting in the corner of the room. She would have gotten dressed up for the speech, had she another set of clothing to wear. As it is she has cleaned and braided her hair.
She nods at the poem; it sounds familiar, perhaps something she had heard in class. Doesn't really agree, but no reason to speak up and make trouble. At least not until Despair speaks up.
"I like that line. Unthinking obedience isn't the good choice. If we're to die here, let it be doing good, not merely being honorable."

OrchestraHc
2014-01-23, 11:10 PM

I do anything without a living brain. Also collections of lots little things or sets like clothing or armor," they explain. "Weird rule set, but the spell that makes it possible isn't supposed to do this at all. So give and take." Not a power so much as luck, but when magic things break around him, they break strangely beneficially.

"Beyond that, I'm stupidly loyal and also undying. I'm also tidy. I can have this place immaculate in a week."

Banquet

Across the tables a certain silver platter very courteously rolls around balanced remarkably well. It is courteous, of course, because it is asking everyone how the meal is doing and if it can fetch anything.

"Having a good time?"

"Top off your drink?"

"Have you tried the roast grasshopper yet? Tres magnifique..."

"Be our guest, be our guest..."

It cant eat, but it might as well be helpful, ingratiating itself to the members. It's on the move but it's be glad to stop for a chat. He is, to his own credit, sounding more like an overzealous waiter than a groveling servant.

happyturtle
2014-01-24, 11:06 AM
Banquet

It never occurred to Nora to dress differently for the Banquet, so she's in her combat unitard. With a plate heaping with food, including a nice cut of grasshopper steak, she takes a seat close to Aequitus. She's puzzled about the wheelchair, and using her BrainPal to try to understand its purpose.

How far she may have gotten is unknown for now, because when Aequitus reads the poem, she feels it all the way to her gut. It's everything the Colonial Defence Forces stands for - particularly the Special Forces. Everything she expects of herself. Very few Special Forces soldiers live to the age of ten when they can retire. Even fewer actually do retire. Most who live that long continue to serve.

She listens to the objections and qualifications of the others, but doesn't argue with them. Instead, she stands and raises a glass, trying to meet Aequitus's eyes as she says, "To the Six Hundred."

Lord Magtok
2014-01-24, 12:19 PM
An Expected Visitor

An Expected Visitor

Aequitus stops and shakes his head at the cyborg. "You do not need to punish yourself to remind you that you wish to seek penance." He starts before attempting to take the holy symbol around Magtok's neck in his hand without removing it from his neck. "This is all you need. And you don't need to wear it either. You do not seek redemption of the flesh after all." He points out before attempting to lightly tap Magtok's forehead. "Nor of the mind." He adds.

"Instead, redemption comes from within. From here." He explains as he lets go of the symbol and tries to set the palm of his hand over Magtok's heart. "That is where it matters. No where else." The Techno-Paladin explains, trying to keep his gaze locked with Magtok's the entire time.

It's a good thing Aequitus didn't say much, because if he had, most of it would've gone right over Magtok's head, as all the physical contact is so very distracting right now. He freezes up for a moment, trying to piece together some sort of clever response, before instead changing topics entirely to a thing that had been nagging at him moments before.

"Fine, but you can put aside the act, at the very least? Insofar as your organization is concerned, I'm more of a liability than anything. Inevitably, like it or not, my being here is going to damage your reputation the same way Reinholdt's ruined GLoG's own. I don't know if you just didn't know that, or you were pretending not to, but no, it is not good to see me. My being here is only going to make your life harder."

Banquet

The idea of this place being invaded and destroyed by hostile forces is a terribly foreign one to our cyborg. He's seen the evil the Nexus has lurking in the shadows, waiting to consume the weak and foolish, and compared to the Calublufioks and Reinholdts and Drakens of days past, it all seems decidedly fragile and cowardly. The idea of the AMEN pulling off anything like the Siege of Old GLoG is, quite frankly, so alien and bizarre Magtok doesn't consider it plausible for even a minute. Aequitus might be prepared to die doing what's just and noble, but surely such a thing couldn't actually happen in this day and age, right?

UncleWolf
2014-01-25, 10:45 PM
An Expected Guest

"Magtok, I am not lying. I don't lie. So what if your presence makes things more difficult? Strife is what makes us stronger and if good people can't look past your history, then they are blind fools. As long as you are here, I'll do my most to protect you and provide a good comfortable place for you to stay as long as you'll have us." Aequitus swears. "I have extra clothes at my place, so if you'll follow me..." He start, gesturing towards a small one-room house nearby.

Through the Poppy Fields

"Make yourself a visible form. No one is to order you around and you shouldn't have to consider yourself a servant. If you clean the place, it is up to you though do not venture into private areas without permission."

Banquet

"There are many things which might work, but fewer that gave such a clear message." Aequitus points out to Despair before leaning back in his chair and sipping and a small mug of mulled wine. When Spade appears, he gives a small smile and raises his mug up towards the kobolds, but speaks up to Nora, giving her a smile. "For the Six Hundred!" He says with a nod before turning back to the god. I'd never forget that Spade, but should such a time come, I ask that you look after them before looking after me. It is my duty to protect them from harm, even if it means a sacrifice of my health. I don't wish to see any of them hurt in the least way."

After that grim statement a smile graces his lips again for a moment more. "Besides, there's always that dramatic attraction for "That Last Hurrah" be it mounted lances or sprinting bayonets. I've actually done a few in my time at war back home and even though the results were never to my liking, the thrill of the moment..." He stops a moment, giving a small shudder. "There's always a certain...happiness in such a moment. You lose all sense of cares or worries, even about yourself. Death seems so certain at that moment that all you can think of is bringing as many foes with you as possible. It is only long after, if you survive, that grief and guilt hits." He adds, muttering that last part to himself as his eyes unfocus slightly, remembering something of ages past.

While he's talking to Spade, it's entirely likely anyone close will hear him talking, not just the God. Except the last part. Only Spade will likely hear that.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-26, 01:18 AM
Banquet

Spade shakes his head.

"I always take care of my people, Sam.
And always remember that those moments are literally what keep me alive. I want you to remember the faces that you saw when you gave that speech, Sam. Because those were the faces of people who agreed with you, who were not afraid to die. To grieve is natural, but to feel guilt or shame is an insult to them, who gladly gave their lives for their causes and their comrades. I can only exist for people who will lay their lives down for a cause, Sam. I rarely get more than a fleeting glimpse of the light shone by the flames of their lives. Those who survive, I will outlive before I can blink. That's my fate, Sam, but it isn't yours. You can be there now, before those battles. So unless you're standing in the middle of one, don't let your mind wander those fields. You shared your poetry, so let me share mine, from the same world as Tennyson's.
Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying
And like I said, there isn't a way this side of the Nexus I'm letting you die, so get off that little track that your brain is on right now. None of this talk of war, none of this 'save them first' crap. 'Cause spending your life thinking about how it'll end sure as Hell ain't living. You have a life, Sammy, and just because you've pledged to spend it on others doesn't mean it still isn't yours. You got that?"
he says sternly, as an officer says to his lieutenant, furry arms crossed.

Lord Magtok
2014-01-26, 08:50 PM
An Expected Guest

"Magtok, I am not lying. I don't lie. So what if your presence makes things more difficult? Strife is what makes us stronger and if good people can't look past your history, then they are blind fools. As long as you are here, I'll do my most to protect you and provide a good comfortable place for you to stay as long as you'll have us." Aequitus swears. "I have extra clothes at my place, so if you'll follow me..." He start, gesturing towards a small one-room house nearby.

"That's...it's all really not necessary," Mag protests weakly, not wanting to be any more of a burden than strictly necessary, but terribly curious about this whole private building of Aeq's.

happyturtle
2014-01-27, 10:46 AM
Banquet

Nora looks around the room as she raises the toast, and her normally impassive face shows a hint of surprise when she sees Magtok there.

She doesn't really understand why. This doesn't seem like his sort of place.

She sits down and gets a second serving of grasshopper.

UncleWolf
2014-01-27, 11:07 AM
An Expected Guest

It appears that Aequitus will hear none of it and drags the Clone to a single room house. The furniture is fairly spartan, consisting of a pair of comfortable looking chairs, a decent sized bed, and a pair of chests. Standing in the far right corner, next to the fire place, is a stand for his powered armor and there's a small workbench for his weapons next to it. Finally, next to a still going fireplace is a rack full of thick blankets and a wheelchair set aside.

Once he's in the house, Aequitus heads over to one of his chests and pulls out a set of simple white clothing consisting of a thigh long tunic to be tucked into a pair of white pants. "I don't know about shoes since I doubt I'm your size, but maybe the Kobolds can fix you up with something?" He wonders, offering the clothing to Magtok.

Banquet

Aequitus snaps out of his memories and gives a small shake of his head. "I'm not sure you understand what I am. I may have a life, but it is not mine to give. I swore an oath not just to my god, but to myself. I have fought an endless war for nearly 30 years. Not just an endless war, but I fought on the losing half. Every day was a new battle even when there wasn't any fighting. It was my duty to try and delay the inevitable in order to grant others a few more years, maybe only weeks of normalcy in their lives. When this failed, which happened as often as not, how do you think I felt? Look around. These are people who haven't experienced the truth of being the last of your kind. Even if they came from another world, they know or guess that their friends are alive or their organizations move on without them." He points out.

"But I'm the opposite. I know for a fact that I'm the last Techno-Paladin of The Light. I am the only remaining warrior of my god. I had to watch behind inch thick armored glass as the gates to the inner sanctum were breached, and I couldn't lift a single finger to help as I was shot through the dimensional walls to reach here. Every day I'm here, I have to struggle with one burning question.

Why me?

Why did I have to be the last? Why not the High Lord or Lady Isa? Both were certainly better equipped and more knowledgeable. Both were stronger and capable of restarting the Order. Or why not Initiate Percival? He was the youngest. Didn't he deserve to live on? But no, it was my name that was drawn, and despite my protests I was forced away." He tells Spade, likely the only person to have heard this story so far.

"So, tell me why I was chosen. Tell me why I lived when all others didn't, and maybe then the guilt will go away." Aequitus tells the god before wheeling himself to the edge of the building to get some fresh air away from everything.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-27, 12:54 PM
Banquet

Spade's expression darkens, as difficult as that is to believe.
"The answer is that there is no answer. **** happens. The optimistic call it the mysterious ways of the gods, and fools call it Fate, but there is neither. Either your god saw something in you which was greater than anyone else, or it was luck of the draw, far as I can tell.
Spade removes his hat, running a paw over its feather.

I'm old, Sam. Very old. I woke in this land a long time ago. I don't know why. I know I had a life before it, but it is lost from my memory. My job is very specific, Sam. Do you know what that means? It means that anyone who ought to have a pretty good chance is out of my hands unless I can weasel out of the rule. And if they blow it, I can't do a thing. And if the odds are against them, I can tip the scales in their favor, but I can never hand them victory. The most I can cheat with is to send an Avatar, but he is one soldier, not a battleship. I am a God who can only help doomed men, and only by giving them a chance. No matter how much or how long I try, I can never give anyone more than a fighting chance. And a chance is so often not good enough. You watched an Order fall, Sam, but I've watched kingdoms crumble. I have no glass window to rail against. My only barrier is the multiverse itself. I could turn my back and save myself the heartbreak, but I will not do that, because doing that would be worse than my undoing, it would be shaming anyone who once called out my name in hope.
I was not born the last, Sam. I was born the Only. But as long as there is entropy among mortals, I will always be the Last, the only being to hold a remnant of my friends in my heart and my memory, when even their ruins are ground down into sand and historians forget their names. I'll carry you, too, after you've made that final stand I can't save you from. And that's why I tell you and anyone else to live while you can, so that you might hold something of your own when the Scythe falls. Because a man with nothing to live for is not a man, he is a slave. And I don't keep slaves, Sam, not in my lands and not in my heart."

UncleWolf
2014-01-27, 01:52 PM
Banquet

"I suppose this is the cost of what we do." Aequitus tells Spade as he looks up at the stars. "Neither of us have a choice in what happens, even if it appears otherwise." He says before looking down at his mostly empty mug of mulled wine. "I tell you what though. If I find something to make a true life with, I will do so. But if the time comes when my duty finally calls, allow me to make that decision on my own." He says before offering the god his mug. "In the meantime, I'm here."

Deathkeeper
2014-01-27, 02:43 PM
Banquet

Spade takes the mug, which abruptly is the appropriate size for him and has a straw.
"Of course, Sam. I can push, but I can't force. If I did I couldn't ever say that I'm a god of Freedom, could I?"

happyturtle
2014-01-28, 01:13 PM
Banquet

Nora watches Aequitus leave the banquet and considers following. But to be honest, the wheelchair was somewhat unsettling.

Instead, she picks up a basket of fried sugar coated locusts and makes her way down the table to Magtok. "Why are you here?" she asks, offering to share the locusts with him.

Recaiden
2014-01-28, 01:44 PM
[Banquet]

Leah watches Aequitus speak to...nobody? and then roll out to the edge of the building. She considers following, but he must want his privacy.

Instead, she heads over to the teakettle Clara is at. It's good practice for moving, and the tea is comfortingly warm even if inedible. She speaks an empty greeting to the wizard when she does.
"Hello. Why did you join here?"
No consideration that she might actually leave in the morning as Aequitus suggested.

Aric Kale
2014-01-28, 02:41 PM
Banquet Hall

Clara sips her tea and looks up from her bowl of soup, smiling brightly, I am a Light Wizard in the service of Wulder, I came to this place in an accident, and I heard of the newly-formed Aegis. Compared to HALO or WATCH, o thought it would be more up to my speed. I still think so. Why have you joined?

Recaiden
2014-01-28, 02:56 PM
Holding a mug of tea, Leah smiles back, just slightly.
"To help people. I was at GLoG, learning to heal people, but it's not enough when you can't stop the people who hurt them in the first place. So I came here."
"What's Wulder?"

Aric Kale
2014-01-28, 03:39 PM
Banquet Hall

As Clara sits, relaxed in her chair, Leah (and anyone else, for that matter) will see her start to glow. It's a comforting aura of light, and it emanates from within her soul. Wulder is my God. He created everything that is good in my world, and blessed me with the talents that I use in his name. Without him, I am nothing

Recaiden
2014-01-28, 04:05 PM
Leah flinches slightly at the glowing, but realizes that it's not dangerous and forces herself to relax.
"If you're nothing without him, you're nothing with him either. Surely there's something to you besides your devotion."
The light is actually quite nice. Contains some delicious comfort.

Aric Kale
2014-01-28, 11:13 PM
Banquet Hall

Yes and no. There are two ways to see it. One: I am an insignificant blip in time and space, here to serve a purpose and die. Two: My God holds me together. every fiber of my being would scatter in the wind without his everlasting and everloving presence keeping me intact, therefore, I am everything when with Wulder. I am content to be nothing in the eyes of peers, I do not want to be seen as a powerful Wizard, though that is my title. What I want, is to love others with the love my God has shown to me: a selfless love that puts others first, to die for my fellow man if necessary, and to be remembered as Clara Tovell, servant of Wulder. Clara sips her tea, as she closes her eyes. How do you wish to be remembered?

Recaiden
2014-01-28, 11:24 PM
"Oh. I'm sorry."
Leah's voice fills with pity. How sad, and Clara doesn't even seem to realize it. But even someone like that can be made better in service to good.
"I don't care what people say about me after I'm gone, if they even notice. I want to make things better for others while I'm here. But if they do remember me, it would be nice if they remembered a person, not a shell."

Aric Kale
2014-01-28, 11:48 PM
Banquet Hall

Clara opens her eyes and laughs, her eyes twinkling merrily. Oh, nonono. You misunderstand. I said there were two ways to look at the situation, not that they were both correct. I am wonderfully and uniquely made by Wulder, a shining beacon of hope, designed to leave an imprint of the world of how amazing Wulder is. I realize it doesn't fully make sense...and that you probably think I'm a blind fool, but I live in a state of joy, not of hopelessness. She takes a sip of...air. Oh, time to pour another cup of tea.

Recaiden
2014-01-29, 12:54 AM
Leah shakes her head, grinning, and offers her untouched cup of tea to Clara.
"The second way to look at it was the sad one. If you live in a state of joy, well, ignorance is bliss, right? A tip, don't talk about Wulder the way you do. He sounds, well, monstrous."
But if Clara tells the truth, there's not really any helping it.

Aric Kale
2014-01-29, 01:09 AM
Banquet Hall

Clara shrugs, To you, my friend, and probably many others. I have a feeling that Aequitus would feel similarly if we were to have this same conversation. No matter, we are here to serve and protect. That is what we will do. She does not seem in the least bit upset by Leah's reaction, and says everything with a friendly tone, no offense having been taken by the "ignorance is bliss" comment.

Recaiden
2014-01-29, 01:20 AM
Leah nods. She has no objection to working alongside monsters for a greater good.
"We do what we must. We will serve and protect."
Clara probably gets that a lot. Thinking there is nothing further to say, Leah heads away, back to a corner of the hall.

happyturtle
2014-01-30, 09:08 AM
Later that Night

Sometime after the banquet, Nora approaches Aequitus and crouches down to put them at eye-level.

"It was a good banquet," she says, somewhat awkwardly. Then, "I want to **** you."

>.<

She's really really bad at social interactions.

Lord Magtok
2014-01-30, 11:29 AM
Banquet, with Nora

Banquet

Nora watches Aequitus leave the banquet and considers following. But to be honest, the wheelchair was somewhat unsettling.

Instead, she picks up a basket of fried sugar coated locusts and makes her way down the table to Magtok. "Why are you here?" she asks, offering to share the locusts with him.

"Ennui, I think. Ennui, and shame. Most of what I've done has been to benefit myself, and little to nothing in service of oth-"

Magtok stares blankly at the locusts for a few seconds, as if struggling to believe that the green-skinned woman might actually go so far as to think Magtok would ever want to eat a horrid thing like that. Is there anyone who would eat that? ****, even a weird alien space soldier like Nora has to be know better than to eat locusts, surely. :smallyuk:

"No, thank you."

An Expected Guest

An Expected Guest

It appears that Aequitus will hear none of it and drags the Clone to a single room house. The furniture is fairly spartan, consisting of a pair of comfortable looking chairs, a decent sized bed, and a pair of chests. Standing in the far right corner, next to the fire place, is a stand for his powered armor and there's a small workbench for his weapons next to it. Finally, next to a still going fireplace is a rack full of thick blankets and a wheelchair set aside.

Once he's in the house, Aequitus heads over to one of his chests and pulls out a set of simple white clothing consisting of a thigh long tunic to be tucked into a pair of white pants. "I don't know about shoes since I doubt I'm your size, but maybe the Kobolds can fix you up with something?" He wonders, offering the clothing to Magtok.

Magtok sighs. "Aequitus, this is all very generous, but I need you to listen to me for a minute. I am Lord Magtok. I'm at least twenty times as wealthy as that corrupt duke or whatever it was from your story. I don't need this. I could spend about a fisherman's yearly income on a single piece of clothing, and not even care.

More importantly though, I'm a manipulator. It's what I do, I manipulate people. I pick my every word with unerring precision. I'll toss a colloquialism or two in to make a less sophisticated target feel at ease, talk up big, fancy rhetoric in public to turn the common folk against my enemies, act silly when it suits me, serious when it doesn't. I lie, cheat, scheme and steal to get what I want, to get others to want to give me what I want, and...and I'm trying very hard not to do that here but you keep being nice and offering me things and I can't tell if you're just a really nice person or I'm subconsciously making an effort to curry favor and control you and twist your own crusade into something awful and don't even realize it and it is stressing me the **** out right now I'm sorry." Magtok pants at the end of all of that, completely out of breath as he clutches the tunic to his chest.

UncleWolf
2014-01-30, 02:03 PM
Banquet

"You know, Spade...if I hadn't followed The Light and had learned of you instead, I think I'd have enjoyed becoming your Paladin." Aequitus admits after a few moments of silence, gazing wistfully at the stars.

Later That Night

You have to give the Techno-Paladin some credit, he doesn't react much more than with a quirked eyebrow as he sips from a refilled mug of mulled wine. It was quite a bit more forward that he'd have ever expected of someone, but with what little he knew of Nora, somehow it seemed to fit her. Aequitus seems contemplative for a moment before he sets his mug aside. "The lack of lower mobility doesn't bother you?" He asks, his tone neutral for now.

An Expected Guest

"Magtok..." Aequitus says softly, a slight look of pity crossing his face before one of sadness does. He gives a sigh before backing up a step and lowering himself into one of the chairs. "I know who you are. I know what you've done. Maybe not everything, but I know enough to get the idea. I've heard of your exploits and I've seen your wealth. I was at the party after all. And know what? You're perfectly right, you don't need this. If you really wanted to, you could just go buy yourself a gold leaf covered cake, forty of them even, and splurge on them until you're so sick you forget everything you feel bad about." The Techno-Paladin admits with a shrug before looking up at him, a look of determination coming to his eyes.

"No, you don't need this. Instead, you deserve it. I don't care about what you've done or what others say. Everyone deserves a chance to do something to feel proud of themselves for, a chance to redeem themselves without fear of prosecution. Even if it is only to make themselves feel better, everyone should get that chance." He explains before taking out his holy symbol, the Hurricane Lantern. "This is the symbol of such beliefs, and do you know why?" He asks rhetorically.

"Such lights can withstand forces that would extinguish all else, guiding people despite all obstacles such as tornadic winds or torrential downpours. Through all such weather, such a light can be seen even at great distances. The lantern doesn't care what a person has done or how far away they are, they wish only to grant them safety and guidance through a world of confusion." Aequitus says as he runs his thumb over the wooden symbol. "That's what I am, Magtok. If you will let me. I can be your guide, your light to safety, but only if you choose to let me be so. I do not know how far away you are, only you can tell, and since you have that entire distance to cross, you can only do it if you wish to. In the end, if you choose to, you can turn away at the very last moment and seek another path. I would hold no ill will towards you."

"Even if you decide to go against me, to betray everything here, I do not think I could hate you, Magtok. I won't pretend to know what drives you, nor will I ever do so. Your decisions will always and forever remain your own. Do whatever you believe is best."

happyturtle
2014-01-30, 02:20 PM
Later that Evening

"It startled me. I had a squad-mate with a similar injury during training, but he healed a few weeks later. He had to finish his training with a different squad. Mine had graduated." Nora says.

Banquet

"You cannot help being Realborn," Nora says, sitting down and popping a locust into her mouth. "Realborn are not born for a purpose like we are, so it takes you longer to find one. Some of you never do." She crunches another locust. They're like potato chips! You can't stop with just one!

Lord Magtok
2014-01-30, 03:28 PM
Banquet

"I was born for a purpose, it's just a very esoteric, convoluted, and nonsensical one!" Magtok insists, before immediately regretting the words the very moment he finishes speaking them, and sighing gloomily at his own food, pausing only to cringe in absolute horror with every locusty crunch and squelch.

"Lot of good yours is for you here, though. An analogy about square pegs and round holes comes to mind." Magtok, that was unnecessarily harsh. Do you treat all of your son's friends-with-benefits that hostilely?

An Expected Guest

"Fine," Magtok sighs, and just drops into a seat. For once, he doesn't seem to have much of anything to say.

happyturtle
2014-01-30, 03:48 PM
Banquet

"It is difficult. I have had to broaden my personal definition of 'humanity'. This place is so peaceful compared to the Colonial Union. Humans and aliens are able to share worlds. That is not possible where I am from." Nora says.

Deathkeeper
2014-01-30, 04:26 PM
Banquet

Spade's mousey features can't really smile, but he can still be best described as beaming with that line. Maybe it's the divine aura.
"Thank you, Sam. That means a lot. I'm a patron often enough, when my name was well known, but I wasn't as popular a choice for paladins and the like. Priests, yes, but few so dedicated like you. There aren't many who can forswear national loyalties and pledge themselves to ridding the world of tyranny and oppression with no other goals. Lark was my first. I sometimes almost forget that's not all of his name, but it's what we called him. A good soul through and through. If I ever send you an Avatar to help you, it'll be him you meet. He was the first to honor my name with his sword, so I've honored his memory with mine."

UncleWolf
2014-01-31, 04:16 AM
Later That Night

"Unfortunately for me, there won't be any way to heal this. It has been like this for a very long time." He admits before looking at her questioningly again. "Why do you want to? Surely you have better options."

Banquet

After that, unless Spade has more he wishes to say, Aequitus just leans his head back and watches the stars go by.

An Expected Guest

"If you'd like, you can stay here at nights if you prefer company. I can always find another bed to bring in. Another option is that there are plenty of unclaimed houses around here if you want solitude, or you can teleport directly back to your cave and come back in the mornings." The Techno-Paladin suggests.

happyturtle
2014-01-31, 04:21 AM
Later That Night

Nora frowns. She's never had to try so hard to get someone into bed, but her sample is very skewed. There were her squadmates, who she was mentally integrated with, making it easy to tell when someone was interested. And since arriving on this world, there's been Cassius, who is a comfortable friend-with-benefits.

"You are beautiful." she says. "You speak like no one else here."

UncleWolf
2014-01-31, 12:21 PM
Later That Night

Aequitus can't help but smile up at Nora. "Thank you for saying so, but I apologize. It'll have to be a no." He admits before holding up a hand to try and stop the argument that might follow. "You are very attractive, so it isn't that. And I'm sure I would be missing out on a great deal, but the simple matter is that I honestly don't know you." The Techno-Paladin tries to explain.

happyturtle
2014-01-31, 12:40 PM
Later that Night

"I do not understand. ****ing is a good way to know someone. Like fighting." Nora says.

UncleWolf
2014-01-31, 12:49 PM
Later That Night

"For most people, it is." Aequitus admits. "But for me, if I were to sleep with someone, there would have to be more than just physical desire." He tries to explain. "Tell me, how old are you? How long have you been a soldier?"

happyturtle
2014-01-31, 12:57 PM
Later that Night

"I am 29 months old. I have been a soldier since I was born," Nora says.

UncleWolf
2014-01-31, 01:48 PM
Later That Night

"I am a minimum of 29 years old. Likely another ten or fifteen older than that but seasons became untrustworthy after a while during the war so I simply stopped counting." Aequitus admits. "I'm not sure you can understand with only a couple years of actual experience to guide your way, but some people simply want something other than physical pleasure in the people they meet. I'm such a person. It's not that I don't desire physical companionship. I do, but it doesn't exactly match up with what I try to be." He tells her with a sigh, looking away from her a bit. The sigh seems to be directed at something other than her, but it might be as well. It's rather unclear.

happyturtle
2014-01-31, 01:59 PM
Later that Night

It's still difficult for Nora to get her head around how old the Realborn are. "No. I do not understand," Nora says. "Goodnight, Aequitus." It is brusque, but no more brusque than Nora's typical behaviour. Heck, the 'Goodnight' alone actually elevates it somewhat. But as the Special Forces soldier walks away, she struggles with feelings of anger and hurt at being rejected.

UncleWolf
2014-01-31, 03:21 PM
Later That Night

"Nora?" Aequitus calls back, looking behind him but not moving his chair. "It's not a no that will always stay a no." He tells her, remembering what Hope told him about trying to be a bit more willing and open. "It is simply a 'Not Now'. Later, if we got to know each other better, that could change. It really isn't your fault."

happyturtle
2014-01-31, 03:34 PM
Later that Night - Nora's House

Nora stops to listen, not turning around. Then continues to walk away.

When she gets inside her house, she bends at the waist and knees, grabs her hair, and roar-snarls in frustration. When that doesn't prove to vent enough, she grabs a log from next to the fireplace and slams it against the stone wall, again and again, until she's reduced it to splinters.

Four destroyed logs later, she sits on the floor, leaning back against the wall, and phones Cassius while plucking slivers of wood out of her hands.

*ring ring*

UncleWolf
2014-01-31, 03:53 PM
Later That Night

Aequitus sighs when there's no reply and leans his head back to look at the stars again as guilt washes through him. "Well, there's one friendship strained and it wasn't even a proper friendship yet." He says, berating himself for what happened but knowing he wouldn't have enjoyed the meaningless sex. What else could he have told her though?

How could he have explained to her that such flings were for those who could spare the time to have such? He couldn't. Not when there were beings out there that could be making their way here to kill them all in their sleep. Aegis had been announced publicly after all.

How could he have told her that after so many endless years of war, he didn't feel like he could let his guard down for a single night lest something happened? Why should he go experience a night of pleasure if it meant someone else could be out there, someone else less sure of their skills or a bit less vigilant?

Someone who'd be more likely to die if something happened.

How would he be able to live with it if he found out someone died in his place while he was sleeping with a person?

With a heavy sigh, Aequitus starts wheeling himself to his home in order to go pull on his armor. "It'll be my fourth night. Tomorrow night I can let myself sleep." He tells himself as he goes to prepare for the Night Watch.

Nora's House

It takes a couple rings, but Cassius answers after a bit, sounding a little groggy. "Nora? How's that new place going? A...E...That shield thingy."

happyturtle
2014-01-31, 03:59 PM
Nora's Place

"The food is good. I like Aequitus. He won't **** me." Nora says. "He said he wants more than physical pleasure and that he does not know me well enough. How else would he get to know me? What is wrong with him?" she demands.

UncleWolf
2014-01-31, 04:28 PM
Nora's House

"Actually, that's how a lot of people are, so nothing much most likely. Do you need me to come over?" He asks, not even bothering mentioning what for since that is probably fairly obvious.

happyturtle
2014-01-31, 04:30 PM
Nora's House

"I never met anyone like that." Nora sulks. "It's too far for tonight."

UncleWolf
2014-01-31, 04:33 PM
Nora's House

"You sure? I can telewarp or fly right over. Would take no time at all." Cassius tells her. "I can pack a bag if you need anything brought over.

happyturtle
2014-01-31, 04:37 PM
Nora's Place

Nora sighs. "I'll put my phone in an open space. You can home in on that." Without the MagSat, telewarping without some sort of knowledge of the area is pretty dangerous. Having someone vet your destination for you eliminates that problem - if you trust them.

Recaiden
2014-01-31, 04:47 PM
[Night]

Leah is trying to walk along the outermost wall, watching the fields for anyone coming who arrived a bit late, or might be dangerous. She's probably been doing it for a while.

That was an interesting banquet. Good that she came, even if there wasn't anything to eat. Were the insects supposed to be delicious-looking? She hasn't seen them before, but they might be really fancy, rare food, or really cheap, desperate food. Will have to ask someone.

And it showed that all kinds of crazy broken people like her can work together. So long as they actually get to doing something, but this is still the first night.
The speech was worrying. It sounded like part of Aequitus just wants to die in a blaze of glory. Which is fine, and whatever, so long as it doesn't get other people killed the same way. Was he trying to talk himself into being like that brigade in the poem, or was it really supposed to be inspirational?

There's too many flowers out here. Too much like home.

RyanKoopa
2014-01-31, 06:23 PM
((OOC: Was hoping to start a plot with a couple Aegis characters to take on some NPC slavers in Skyside. Anyone interested? If not I can retcon this post out of existence))

[Night]
A fairly tall cloaked figure slowly walks toward the Aegis base. He clearly doesn't want his identity known until he reaches the base, and he looks around nervously as If checking to see if he was being watched. If anyone goes to get a closer they would find blue hair, gill ears and a teenage face under the hood. His eyes are weird, the pupils are half blue, half yellow with a white roman numeral 2 in the center and they glow faintly in the moonlight. His face is pale and nervous but gets less so as he approaches the base. Ray is quite tired, clearly not used to being up and about this late in the night, and rubs his eyes with his sleeve. He waits at the gate tapping his foot impaitently.

Recaiden
2014-01-31, 06:52 PM
((Is the whole thing meant to be in blue text? Usually color is reserved for speech.))

A figure approaches the gate along the top of the wall, a young woman, who's only visible oddity is that Ray cans till see the night sky behind her, through her. She's a little on the small side, both short and thin, wearing a dark jacket and checkered trousers and that's about all that's visible from this distance, besides the waling stick. She hops down from the wall, falling more slowly than someone should, and approaches the boy.
"Welcome to Aegis. You're a bit late, but it is a long road. What do you need? If you're here to join, you're a bit late for the welcome celebration, but there'll be a place. If you need help, why didn't you make some noise?
And if you're here to kill us all, get to trying."

RyanKoopa
2014-01-31, 09:22 PM
((OOC: I bold speech. Also don't worry I'll let more people post next time, I just felt like this post needed an immediate responce.)

[Night]
"Yeah I guess I should of made some noise, but I didn't want to disturb anyone more than necessary" Ray says sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head in embarrassment. It's clear he had been through something harrowing not too long before, but the adrenaline was starting to die down. Now instead of being panicked he was merely a bit on edge. However, he seems unfazed by the lady's transparency. "I um request the aid of Aeqit-Aequit? Crud can't pronounce his name. The big paladin guy who runs the place. Can I see him?"

Lord Magtok
2014-02-01, 11:22 AM
Banquet

"It is difficult. I have had to broaden my personal definition of 'humanity'. This place is so peaceful compared to the Colonial Union. Humans and aliens are able to share worlds. That is not possible where I am from." Nora says.

"We share because we have to. Most of us are just as lost as you are, everyone trying to piece together a society from what they remember of their old one. There's not really a whole lot of room for an 'us versus them' mentality without an 'us' to back such a mentality up. The human supremacists managed that for a little while, but..."

Everyone knows how that story ended. A cult fell apart and dropped into the hands of a legitimate business owner who tried to institutionalize the prejudice, and then that went up in flames when the guy in charge got gunned down.

"I think you're the only one I've ever met to consider it peaceful, though. In my time, I've seen at least four different attempts to destroy the Nexus and trigger a ruinous cascade tearing into every branching universe and ultimately destroying all of time and space. How bad was the Colonial Union?"

An Expected Guest

"If you'd like, you can stay here at nights if you prefer company. I can always find another bed to bring in. Another option is that there are plenty of unclaimed houses around here if you want solitude, or you can teleport directly back to your cave and come back in the mornings." The Techno-Paladin suggests.

"If your popularity holds, space is going to be at a premium, and I've got enough to freak out about without worrying that I might be shunting someone else out if here. I'm not entirely eager to leave a teleport signal emitter here to be exploited by myself or anyone who might hijack my network either, though. I'll just take a bed." Magtok decides, insisting to himself that that's totally all it is, and the only reasons behind his decision at all.

happyturtle
2014-02-01, 11:48 AM
Banquet

"There are 20 billion humans in the Colonial Union, and 4 trillion aliens, that we know of. We all compete for the same worlds. Nearly every species we've met is physically more powerful than us." Nora says. "Many of them eat humans." She tears off the legs of a preying mantis and eats them, unaware of the irony she's presenting.

Recaiden
2014-02-01, 12:38 PM
[Night]

He seems fairly trustable and actually in need of help. Might be a trick, but if so it won't be very effective, he could have tried actual stealth.
"Aequitus? Yes, I'll get him."
Leah walks back inside, simply stepping through the gate, and goes to look for Aequitus, heading towards his house. Which is kind of creepy; she shouldn't know where anyone's house is yet.

Deathkeeper
2014-02-01, 01:03 PM
Banquet

After that, unless Spade has more he wishes to say, Aequitus just leans his head back and watches the stars go by.

Banquet

Aequitus' eyes are above, so he'll only hear the tap of a mug being placed on the floor.
"Thanks for humoring a selfish old god, Sam. May you always be in charge of your own future."
Whenever he turns to look back, the mouse-god is gone, an empty mug sitting on the floor next to Aequitus' wheelchair.