PDA

View Full Version : Mark of Retrieval[Magic Item?]

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-01-20, 09:55 PM
A Mark of Retrieval is a small magical glyph which always comes in twos. The two symbols are mirror images of each other - one is carved onto an object (usually a weapon), the other into a persons skin (frequently the palm of his or her hand.) When that person speaks a command word, usually the name of the object, the object is immediately teleported so that the two glyphs line up. This power works over any distance, but not if the two glyphs are on different planes. It also fails if either glyph is inside an antimagic field.

My problem is I have no idea how a party would obtain one of these. This came from a story I'm writing where there's a Rune Mage whose only powers come from marks and symbols, but I'd like to put some way of making this easier to adapt as an option in a D & D campaign - maybe a special ink you can purchase, or a scroll that shows you what to do? It's kind of a hard thing to buy or sell.
I don't think it's good enough to make it super expensive or a really complex process - it's meant to be an ace-in-the-hole for a low to mid-level fighter who never wants to be without his sword. But unless your DM is especially fond of putting you in situations where all your stuff gets taken (like me) I can't see it coming up all that often. Thoughts? Or anyone think of any uses for this I'm not considering?

magic8BALL
2007-01-20, 10:59 PM
it's meant to be an ace-in-the-hole for a low to mid-level fighter who never wants to be without his sword.
Isn't that what a glove of storing is all about?

I see this as a cool way for the BBEG to whip out a Staff of Blast PC's...

One thing: over any distance? Suggest a series of Marks of Retriaval, the more expensive, the greater the maximum range.
Perhaps have it as an enhancement that can be added to a weapon, or a weapon like onbject (a metamagic rod, a staff, or somthing of the sort). The cost of caving the glyph into the weapon, the tattoo or brand (or scare, or whatever) and the magic is added onto the objects cost.

Mark of Retrieval: A Mark of Retrieval is a pair of small magical glyphs, each the exact mirrior image of the other. One is carved, branded, or encribed onto the handel of a item, the other scared, branded or tattooed onto the palm of the owners hand. The glyphs represent true ownership over an object.
In adition, when the owner of the item speaks the command word (usually the name of the object) the object is immediately teleported so that the two glyphs line up. This power works so long as the owner is within 10 miles of the object, and on the same plane of existance. The item may not be retrived from extradimentional storage. The magic fails if either glyph is inside an antimagic field.
Lesser and Greater Marks of Retrival:Lesser Marks of Retrieval have a maximum range of 1 mile, while Greater marks of Retrieval have a maximum range of 100 miles.
Moderat conjuration; CL 11; Craft Wonderous Item, locate object, teleport; Price (added onto the items price): +5 000gp (lesser), +15 000gp (normal), +35 000gp (greater)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Somthing else wich is similar, except this time for the BBEG's minions:

Glyph of Reach: A Glyph of Reach is a magical brand, scare or tattoo on the palm of the possesers hand. Others may share an identical mark as the posseser. It is common for a small army, or a group of eleite soldiors in a larger army, to posses the same mark.
When the posseser streaches out his hand to an item bearing a Glyph of Restitution wich is a mirror image to their Glyph of Reach and speaks the comand word (a move equivilent action), that item moves into her grip. The posseser of the Glyph of Reach and the item marked with the Glyph of Restitution must be within 100ft for the magic to work. There must be a line of effect for this power to work. If someone is holding onto the item, they may make a strength check (DC 15) to stay holding onto the object. If they too have a Glyph of Reach wich is also a mirror image of the objects Glyph of Restitution , they automatically pass. The magic fails if either the posseser or the item are in an antimagic field.
Moderate transmutation; CL 11; Craft Wonderous Item, telekinesis; Price: 500gp

Glyph of Restitution: This magical glyph is carved, branded or incribed onto an object. Any number of objects may have an identical Glyph of Restitution. It is quite common for an armory of a powerful lord to have all its magical weapons marked with the same glyph, so that the lords men (who are marked with the appropriate Glyph of Reach) may claim these more powerful weapons in times of battle.
Moderate transmutation; CL 11; Craft Wonderous Item, telekinesis; Price (added onto the price of the weapon): +500gp

jlousivy
2007-01-21, 01:16 AM
No. and I can give one easy example.

The PC sells the weapon/item.
The PC leaves town, retrieves the weapon/item.
Next town/city.
Works especialy well with bards /glibb

magic8BALL
2007-01-21, 01:21 AM
Well, if everyone knew about this sort of stuff, they wouldn't buy that weapon. A strage glowing glyph on the handle of a sword is a giveaway somthings up.

And if you buy a magic weapon without asking heaps of questions about it, you deserve to get burnt.

Machete
2007-01-21, 03:55 AM
This seems familiar. Dramji's Instant Summons comes to mind.

Darkshade
2007-01-21, 04:42 AM
You could go the Suikoden route with "Retrieval Crystals" that a Runemaster merely has to attach to the person and object in question

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-01-21, 09:48 AM
No. and I can give one easy example.

The PC sells the weapon/item.
The PC leaves town, retrieves the weapon/item.
Next town/city.
Works especialy well with bards /glibb

See that's what I was talking about.