PDA

View Full Version : Charge Every Round (A drunken staggering plan)

GhengisConrad
2014-01-06, 10:36 PM
So, if I am interpreting Stagger from the drunken master correctly... and the way AoOs work correctly... then, each round I'm dealing with a guy, I could circle him 10 ft. (without leaving his threatened area) and then execute a pounce... that'd be kosher right?

I could then take advantage of my Thunderstep Boots?

also, still wondering about how improvised weapons work here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323795)

p.s. please see link in the sig for idea of what I am thinking.

Nettlekid
2014-01-06, 10:51 PM
Not quite. Every square he threatens is his threatened area, and thus leaving the very square you're in that is currently being threatened will provoke an AoO. You might ask your DM if you can make a Tumble check to get out of that. I don't think charges normally allow it, but the Drunken Master's Stagger is rather unusual.

I have to ask, because this is like the fifth thread you've made on a linked topic. What exactly is your aim for this character? You seem to be fixated on just having tons of natural attacks with high strength, but for what purpose? An incredibly boring number of attack rolls, many but not all of which will hit, for a mediocre amount of damage each. You're not even using Power Attack/Shock Trooper, which is usually what a charger build would use to make up the damage, in your case using the number of attacks to offset the lack of two-handed bonus to damage. What are you trying to do this?

GhengisConrad
2014-01-06, 11:03 PM
I have to ask, because this is like the fifth thread you've made on a linked topic. What exactly is your aim for this character? You seem to be fixated [...] What are you trying to do this?

meh, I dunno. This is how I learn. By breaking and rebuilding and breaking and rebuilding and taking a core simple concept, and then building, and making better, and building and changing.

Character building is what I enjoy. Finding and optimizing small little points.

I am a small small ignorant fool in the face of collective knowledge, but its fun to laern!

My core, orginal concept, was something like

Gnome
1 Feral 0
1 Half-Minotaur 0
1 DuskBlade 1 Precocious Apprentice
4 Warlock 3
2 Totemist 1
2 SoulCaster 1
4 ShadowLord 3
1 SoulCaster 1
4 SwordSage 3

with some dragon disciple in there somewhere. The build, you see in my link, is where I have gotten by dumping and retaking and dumping shadowpounce and battle jump 5 or 6 times.

It's just how I roll bro.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-06, 11:05 PM
The point is, that, for me, this process you've seen me go through.

This is what I enjoy about the game

Honestly, I don't much care for playing the game. Actually role playing is kinda frustrating. I like preparing for the game itself.

Nettlekid
2014-01-06, 11:13 PM
Well, fair enough. It's just weird because I tend to see a divide between people who want to build a sub-optimal but as-good-as-it-should-be character for the spirit of the idea (I tend to ascribe to this path), and people who want to powergame by using spurious definitions of the rules and lots of weird cheesy things. You seem to be trying to accomplish the spirit of the former using the methods of the latter. Like, it's not optimizing, because it's not the strongest thing you could do. It's not even the strongest "multi-limbed death blender" styled build. Yet to see Feral Half-Minotaur Gnome at the root of everything suggests cheese. So there's a degree of cognitive dissonance, in me at least.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-06, 11:26 PM
My pride keeps me from too much cheese, my hubrice makes me use optimization tactics...

It's a tightrope. If you really read all of my posts, I've had some existential breakdowns related to the form and function of the game.

btw, continuing from Stagger

"Second, if a drunken master makes a DC 15 Tumble check before beginning a charge, his movement through threatened squares provokes no attacks of opportunity."

so... neato eh?

furthermore, reading your post and thinking about your phrasing... I guess, what I'd really like to do is powergame without using spurious definitions of the rules and lots of weird cheesy things.

In the spirit of the game, I never want to play something I cannot see myself cosplaying as.

Example: I only started doing anthropomorphs when I read "-- or perhaps humaoids with animal characteristics". It was a hook to imagine a 'me', with pointed bat-like ears, tiny sharp teeth, and giant bat wings out my backside... Yes please!

Spirit + Optimization.

That's the challenge, and that's the joy. Blending those two.