PDA

View Full Version : Monk Unarmed Attacks, Weapons, and Other Natural Weapons

GhengisConrad
2014-01-06, 11:46 PM
So, what's the ruling on Monks Unarmed Attacks and Natural Weapons and Weapons?

If, let's say, I am proficient with some kind of exotic weapon that could be worn on my elbow, or waist or whatever, would I, in a Full Round Attack, be able somehow to do my full iterative with that exotic weapon, and then use my unarmed strike as a secondary natural attack (along with other natural attacks [claws, bite, tentacles]), also benefiting from multi-attack? Is that... a thing?

By RAW of course ;)

TuggyNE
2014-01-07, 12:49 AM
So, what's the ruling on Monks Unarmed Attacks and Natural Weapons and Weapons?

If, let's say, I am proficient with some kind of exotic weapon that could be worn on my elbow, or waist or whatever, would I, in a Full Round Attack, be able somehow to do my full iterative with that exotic weapon, and then use my unarmed strike as a secondary natural attack (along with other natural attacks [claws, bite, tentacles]), also benefiting from multi-attack? Is that... a thing?

By RAW of course ;)

No. Unarmed strikes, unlike all other natural weapons, can only be used during iteratives. You could, however, intermix unarmed strikes and weapons during iteratives, and also attack with all other natural weapons in the same full attack; however, unless you are using Flurry or similar, that won't get you any additional attacks over simply using a regular manufactured weapon along with natural weapons.

Monks can make unarmed strikes with any body part, so there is no need to look to exotic weapons; a monk carrying a quarterstaff in both hands can still make their full attack with unarmed strikes, without needing to change grip on the quarterstaff.

Coidzor
2014-01-07, 01:33 AM
No, but if you have a large unarmed strike damage, you might investigate a scorpion kama if you really wanna mix unarmed strike with a weapon, though this would go into two-weapon fighting territory, but TWF + the gloves of the Balanced hand gives two attacks with the off-hand weapon.

Wouldn't benefit from Multiattack though, but at least TWF doesn't add any penalties to your natural weapons, beyond what just using any manufactured weapon will do by making them all secondary.

GhengisConrad
2014-01-07, 01:50 AM
I was actually hoping to use an improvised weapon from my drunken master class to do iteratives and then use my unarmed monk attack at a secondary natural attack.

Still, if I 'improvise' my studded belt around my warped (mourning mutate +2 unarmed damage with limb) leg, I can also add the 1d4 to my unarmed attack. Which is cool.

Just trying to see how much juice I can squeeze from that peach.