PDA

View Full Version : Witch spells that benefit from false focus

Dalebert
2014-01-07, 12:44 AM
In other words, spells that have material components that could be expensive and/or be difficult to obtain that cost less than 100gp. I'm considering this feat but not sure.

Yogibear41
2014-01-07, 01:00 AM
Off hand I have no idea, but you can go here:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/tools/spell-list-filters/witch-spell-list-filter

type and M in the box labeled M/F and press enter, and that will give you every witch spell that has a material component, its something to go off of at least.

EDIT:

off that list Augury, Symbol of Mirroring, Divination, Sleepwalk, and Rest Eternal all have material components costing 100 or less gold. Transformation requires a potion of bull's strength which normally being a 2nd level spell would have a price of 300-400 gp, however if there is someway possible in pathfinder to make a 1st level potion of bull's strength (with a CL of 1) then it would only have a price of 50 gp and you should be able to use that feat to get around that spells component.

Dalebert
2014-01-07, 11:14 AM
type and M in the box labeled M/F and press enter, and that will give you every witch spell that has a material component, its something to go off of at least.

Thanx! That advice will help me with lots of future questions. I had a resource for filtering 3.5 spells but didn't know how to do it with PF. It's not looking that great of a feat for a witch with their more limited spell list. The really fun ones seem to be wiz/sor only.

I did notice masterwork transformation would apply in some cases but that's not enough to justify the feat unless I dramatically exploited it for profit which I'm sure my DM would put a stop to, and I wouldn't blame him.

Transformation requires a potion of bull's strength which normally being a 2nd level spell would have a price of 300-400 gp, however if there is someway possible in pathfinder to make a 1st level potion of bull's strength (with a CL of 1) then it would only have a price of 50 gp and you should be able to use that feat to get around that spells component.

I'm not much a fan of spells that try to turn a caster into melee. I'd rather turn a melee person in my group into a better melee. Although... hmmm... I will be possessing my undead minions and I don't have to worry so much about being a fragile little 8 STR ratfolk. I'll have to take a look at transformation's effect on something like a vampire or wight.

Pretty sure PF doesn't have quick potion. That's a shame.

Barstro
2014-01-07, 11:33 AM
When I first read your question, I couldn't come up with a reason to waste a Feat on saving a relatively negligible 100 gp every now and then. Especially when many DMs don't even keep track of things that cheap.

But then I looked some more at the spells and, assuming I understand Symbol of Mirroring correctly, that's a great spell to cast a few times after setting up camp to have your party get duplicates when enemies attack at night. If it does work that way (and you can prevent the NPC from getting mirror imaged as well), then a DM would quickly start assessing the cost of the spell, and it would be worth the Feat.

Drachasor
2014-01-07, 11:48 AM
When I first read your question, I couldn't come up with a reason to waste a Feat on saving a relatively negligible 100 gp every now and then. Especially when many DMs don't even keep track of things that cheap.

But then I looked some more at the spells and, assuming I understand Symbol of Mirroring correctly, that's a great spell to cast a few times after setting up camp to have your party get duplicates when enemies attack at night. If it does work that way (and you can prevent the NPC from getting mirror imaged as well), then a DM would quickly start assessing the cost of the spell, and it would be worth the Feat.

Technically the Symbol of Mirroring works just like a Symbol of Death. Which means you can attune people to not be affected by it and the caster is automatically attuned. You can't setup a Symbol of Death to only affect attuned persons. So a Symbol of Mirroring is primarily useful for battlements, ranged combat, and as something you pull out of your Haversack before combat and then stuff it back in before you engage the enemy (who should not be within a 60' burst of the symbol...so closed doors and the like should block it). The images do last for a few rounds after the symbol goes away.

Honestly you should be able to attune it to people and have it only affect them. On the other hand, 10 min/level of all allies having one mirror image that is refreshed at the beginning of their turns is too powerful for just 100gp, imho.

Dalebert
2014-01-07, 02:45 PM
Pretty sure I'm not going to take the feat. Thank you everyone for your help.