PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds that Tarquin isn't just going to get back on his mount?

rbetieh
2014-01-07, 03:29 AM
Tarquin has a mount (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0863.html). Is the creature still in audible range? Would he be fool enough to chase a second time?

Trillium
2014-01-07, 03:36 AM
Tarquin has a mount (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0863.html). Is the creature still in audible range? Would he be fool enough to chase a second time?

Unless that pretorasaurus carries a gallon of keoghtum ointment, in no way Tarquin is gonna be fit for battle. He is disarmed and much injured. When Roy has his healing potions, Durkon his spells, Julio is pulled on board, Belkar Restored and Haley's arm Regenerated, even fully geared and healthy Tarquin will stand not a little chance.

Geordnet
2014-01-07, 04:08 AM
The odds are pretty much 0%, because there's no way that could be worked into the narrative at this point.

Aasimar
2014-01-07, 04:17 AM
Tarquin may be unhinged, but he still recognizes that for him, this is the end of his involvement in that story, at least for now. He thinks it's a crappy ending, but I very much doubt he doesn't recognize what unnatural storytelling would be required for him to chase immediately.

Recover, rebuild and attack again later, maybe, but follow right now? Out of the question.

Geordnet
2014-01-07, 05:09 AM
Tarquin may be unhinged, but he still recognizes that for him, this is the end of his involvement in that story, at least for now. He thinks it's a crappy ending, but I very much doubt he doesn't recognize what unnatural storytelling would be required for him to chase immediately.

The thing is, Tarquin doesn't see the bigger picture. His ego refuses to accept any story as more important than his own. He doesn't "get involved with" other people's stories; they get involved with his.

He's been starting to 'crack' for a while now, acting irrationally and such. Now, he's probably in the state of mind to do anything. But our own meta-knowledge grants us the foresight that the plot has concluded, thers's no narrative time left for any more interaction between Tarquin and the Order.

Although... I suppose he could set off on his own, in pursuit of Elan on foot. However, that would be accepting a "secondary villain" role - I have doubts that his ego would allow it.

Fnordius
2014-01-07, 05:50 AM
I also vote against it, as he arrived on that mount with the LG, left on that mount, and returned on a different mount with the entire army (one that is now on a different plane). Most likely he left his flying mount back at the palace stable to rest. It's not a familiar.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-01-07, 07:15 AM
I doubt it would be a matter of chasing and more of a matter of slowly following. Even if the mount is there, I don't think that it is as fast as the Mechane.

Kish
2014-01-07, 07:35 AM
I don't think Tarquin's dumb enough to think that him catching the Order, alone, would go significantly differently than the last strip did.

("Will he try to push Laurin and Miron into going after them in a group when he sees them again," now, that's another question.)

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-07, 10:33 AM

Tarquin swapped that mount out for this mount (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0910.html) when he returned to Bleedingham. And that Triceratops was banished (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0927.html) to the Outlands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlands). Or to the dimension that's nothing but shrimp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer).

EDIT: Ninja'ed by Fnordius!

Shale
2014-01-07, 10:44 AM
I'd prefer to imagine that the triceratops was banished to Outland. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outland_%28comic_strip%29)

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-07, 11:15 AM
I'd prefer to imagine that the triceratops was banished to Outland. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outland_%28comic_strip%29)

Or maybe the dimension without shrimp? :smalltongue:

Shale
2014-01-07, 11:19 AM
As long as it's not the dimension that's only partially shrimp. I've got all my stuff there.

Gift Jeraff
2014-01-07, 11:20 AM
If it was still in the Windy Canyon and not brought back to Bleedingham when Tarquin and Kilkil went to go fetch the army, the pterosaur may have been scared off by the krackakoom.

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-07, 11:23 AM
If it was still in the Windy Canyon and not brought back to Bleedingham when Tarquin and Kilkil went to go fetch the army, the pterosaur may have been scared off by the krackakoom.

Tarquin and Kilkil flew the pterosaur back to Bleedingham. It was probably sent to the stables to rest, while Tarquin mounted his triceratops to lead his army through the Wormhole.

And Tarquin's army, including all dinos, arrived after the Gate was destroyed.

DeliaP
2014-01-07, 11:40 AM
Or maybe the dimension without shrimp? :smalltongue:
There's a world without shrimp?!? (I'm allergic) :smallsmile:

BaronOfHell
2014-01-07, 11:49 AM
I thought it was a 2 day flight between the pyramid and Bleedingham (at least on the carpet), hence why I thought the reference to what he did before leaving Bleedingham was to already contact Laurin back then, and I imagine she gated him back to Bleedingham.

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-07, 12:28 PM
There's a world without shrimp?!? (I'm allergic) :smallsmile:

It's two dimensions past the Troll dimension. If you've come to the timeline without donuts you've probably passed it.

hamishspence
2014-01-07, 12:42 PM
It's two dimensions past the Troll dimension. If you've come to the timeline without donuts you've probably passed it.
:smallbiggrin:

Simpsons reference? I vaguely remember that what Homer thought to be "The Timeline Without Donuts" was actually The Timeline with Donut Rain.

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-07, 01:31 PM
:smallbiggrin:

Simpsons reference? I vaguely remember that what Homer thought to be "The Timeline Without Donuts" was actually The Timeline with Donut Rain.

Yeah, but no one ate them!

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-07, 01:32 PM
I thought it was a 2 day flight between the pyramid and Bleedingham (at least on the carpet), hence why I thought the reference to what he did before leaving Bleedingham was to already contact Laurin back then, and I imagine she gated him back to Bleedingham.

Hmm. Maybe his Pterosaur got killed when the Pyramid exploded? Xykon and Redcloak were pretty banged up by it.

BaronOfHell
2014-01-07, 01:34 PM
I prefer to believe that Tarquin took it with him to Bleedingham and either left it there, or it was a mount in the battle against the Order, and its rider may have gotten zapped by chain lightning.

WindStruck
2014-01-08, 06:12 AM
That will happen when triceratopses fly. Quite literally.

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-08, 10:57 AM
That will happen when triceratopses fly. Quite literally.

And can Plane Shift at will. :smallwink:

rbetieh
2014-01-09, 12:38 AM
Tarquin and Kilkil flew the pterosaur back to Bleedingham. It was probably sent to the stables to rest, while Tarquin mounted his triceratops to lead his army through the Wormhole.

And Tarquin's army, including all dinos, arrived after the Gate was destroyed.

How could he have flown a pterosaur back to town when it was explicitly stated that the ride is 2 days with magic carpet?

Trillium
2014-01-09, 02:58 AM
How could he have flown a pterosaur back to town when it was explicitly stated that the ride is 2 days with magic carpet?

The carpet may be somewhat slow? I shudder to imagine aerodynamics of such a shape.

rbetieh
2014-01-09, 10:40 AM
The carpet may be somewhat slow? I shudder to imagine aerodynamics of such a shape.

Doesn't that raise the question: why didn't Tarquin give everyone Pterosaurs to start with? Its just as easy to add a tracking device to an animal, no?

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-09, 11:38 AM

Maybe Laurin opened a Wormhole, allowing Tarquin and Kilkil to fly back on the pterosaur faster?

Look, Tarquin doesn't have the pterosaur around anymore. He either flew it back to Bleedingham (with or without Laurin's help) or it died off-panel whent he pyramid blew up. Tarquin doesn't have a mount that he can call so he can chase after the Mechane.

Trillium
2014-01-09, 11:51 AM
Doesn't that raise the question: why didn't Tarquin give everyone Pterosaurs to start with? Its just as easy to add a tracking device to an animal, no?

Because in any case, it easier to beat six people, than six people and six flying predators.

rbetieh
2014-01-09, 12:37 PM
Because in any case, it easier to beat six people, than six people and six flying predators.

Heh, good point.

Of course I now wonder about the hippogriff squadrons....wouldn't a bunch of those guys descending on the mechane be a sight? Kind of out of the Flash Gordon movie actually....

Bulldog Psion
2014-01-09, 01:15 PM
Heh, good point.

Of course I now wonder about the hippogriff squadrons....wouldn't a bunch of those guys descending on the mechane be a sight? Kind of out of the Flash Gordon movie actually....

The Mechane beset by aerial attackers would indeed be interesting. :smallsmile: More than likely, they're home free, though -- other than whatever horrors Durkon commits while on board. :smalleek:

sengmeng
2014-01-09, 02:13 PM

Pterosaurs are also combatants. The carpet is just transportation.

AutomatedTeller
2014-01-09, 03:44 PM
yeah, I think T is done for this arc, other than maybe a late arc set of panels where different villains make villainous statements about their intentions.

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-09, 03:56 PM
Heh, good point.

Pfft. Been there, done that.

The Horusflok attack against the Mechane was not only closer to the Birdmen attack in "Flash Gordon", but the Mummy Queen's consort bellowed like a Brian Blessed impersonator. :smalltongue: