PDA

View Full Version : Computer question - Windows 7

noparlpf
2014-01-07, 08:07 AM
Whenever my computer wakes up from sleep mode, it makes the Windows startup sound. I've tried disabling all sounds, muting the computer, and plugging in headphones, but it still makes that sound. How do I make it wake up more quietly?

Elder Tsofu
2014-01-07, 09:15 AM
Isn't there a setting in the bios for that? :smallconfused:
Personally I think I was a bad person and just unplugged the small "speaker" inside my main pc.

valadil
2014-01-07, 09:24 AM
My best guess is that you missed a setting or two. I couldn't tell you which one though.

You could always try to find and delete the sound file windows is playing.

Brother Oni
2014-01-07, 11:53 AM
Isn't there a setting in the bios for that? :smallconfused:
Personally I think I was a bad person and just unplugged the small "speaker" inside my main pc.

That's a fairly impressive case speaker if it can do more than beeps! :smalltongue:

To the OP, if you can't find the settings, have you tried turning the volume down on your speakers until it's started up?

I can't replicate your issue - changing the sound scheme to 'No Sounds' plays nothing for me when waking up my computer from sleep mode.

Grozomah
2014-01-07, 11:57 AM
Replace the original windows startup sound with this: http://p1.portal2sounds.com/84

While it won't fix your problem it will stop you from caring about it. (kinda like alcohol now that i think of it)

noparlpf
2014-01-07, 12:07 PM
That's a fairly impressive case speaker if it can do more than beeps! :smalltongue:

To the OP, if you can't find the settings, have you tried turning the volume down on your speakers until it's started up?

I can't replicate your issue - changing the sound scheme to 'No Sounds' plays nothing for me when waking up my computer from sleep mode.

Yeah, I've tried turning the sound down, muting it, and plugging in headphones before shutting down or putting it to sleep. The "No Sounds" setting hasn't changed it either.

Elder Tsofu
2014-01-07, 12:12 PM

Isn't that the Windows start-up sound? :smalleek:
I might be thinking else...

noparlpf
2014-01-07, 12:37 PM
Isn't that the Windows start-up sound? :smalleek:
I might be thinking else...

Mine makes that doo-do-doo doo-do-DOO sound when it starts up. Because making electronic sounds in onomatopoeia form totally works.

factotum
2014-01-07, 03:35 PM

You may joke, but a PC I built for my mother once actually played a digitised voice sample from the BIOS--it said something like "Power on self-test completed, now booting from operating system". Not sure if it was playing that through the speaker or the BIOS was using the on-board sound card, though.

Grozomah
2014-01-07, 03:47 PM
If we're talking old school computer beeps then that can be the motherboard trying to tell you something. In the case of six beeps it means that there is a problem with your keyboard (apparently not bad enough). A couple of years ago I failed at flashing BIOS on my graphic card and there were four beeps - meaning the graphic card was busted, that's when i learned about this wonderful integrated function.

CombatOwl
2014-01-07, 06:42 PM
Whenever my computer wakes up from sleep mode, it makes the Windows startup sound. I've tried disabling all sounds, muting the computer, and plugging in headphones, but it still makes that sound. How do I make it wake up more quietly?

Rather than disabling all sounds, perhaps you could specifically disable the startup sound?

It's an option in the Sound configuration dialog. Uncheck "Play Windows Startup Sound."

For some reason, "No Sounds" doesn't automatically disable the startup sound.

Brother Oni
2014-01-07, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I've tried turning the sound down, muting it, and plugging in headphones before shutting down or putting it to sleep. The "No Sounds" setting hasn't changed it either.

Wait is this a laptop? I've never known external speakers to ignore their built in sound control function, particularly the old school wheel ones which I believe are just linear resistance devices.

If we're talking old school computer beeps then that can be the motherboard trying to tell you something. In the case of six beeps it means that there is a problem with your keyboard (apparently not bad enough). A couple of years ago I failed at flashing BIOS on my graphic card and there were four beeps - meaning the graphic card was busted, that's when i learned about this wonderful integrated function.

The POST beep codes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, although they tend to stay the same throughout all the versions of that particular BIOS type.

noparlpf
2014-01-07, 07:02 PM
Rather than disabling all sounds, perhaps you could specifically disable the startup sound?

It's an option in the Sound configuration dialog. Uncheck "Play Windows Startup Sound."

For some reason, "No Sounds" doesn't automatically disable the startup sound.

It's unchecked. I tried switching to "No Sounds" as well in hopes it might help.

Wait is this a laptop? I've never known external speakers to ignore their built in sound control function, particularly the old school wheel ones which I believe are just linear resistance devices.

I guess it is technically a laptop. I forget sometimes, what with it having no screen and requiring an external monitor and constant power supply.

Brother Oni
2014-01-07, 07:28 PM
I guess it is technically a laptop. I forget sometimes, what with it having no screen and requiring an external monitor and constant power supply.

Heading into overkill territory here, but is disabling the soundcard an option? Since you're running Windows 7, it doesn't complain too much if you enable a device while it's running (it shouldn't ask for a restart for it to work anyway).

lesser_minion
2014-01-09, 12:02 PM
If you switch to the 'Playback' tab in the sound configuration dialog, do you see more than one device listed?

noparlpf
2014-01-09, 12:09 PM
If you switch to the 'Playback' tab in the sound configuration dialog, do you see more than one device listed?

Yeah, the built-in speaker and my headphones. Hang on, let me try disabling the speakers entirely. Hadn't thought of that.

Edit: No good. Now no sounds play, even through the headphones. It won't let me set my headphones as the default device.

Brother Oni
2014-01-09, 02:48 PM
Yeah, the built-in speaker and my headphones. Hang on, let me try disabling the speakers entirely. Hadn't thought of that.

Edit: No good. Now no sounds play, even through the headphones. It won't let me set my headphones as the default device.

You have to re-enable the speakers for sound to work. :smalltongue:

If you disable the soundcard before putting it into sleep mode then re-enable it when you're actually using it, you'll have functioning sound plus it'll won't play the startup sound.

noparlpf
2014-01-09, 03:47 PM
You have to re-enable the speakers for sound to work. :smalltongue:

If you disable the soundcard before putting it into sleep mode then re-enable it when you're actually using it, you'll have functioning sound plus it'll won't play the startup sound.

Sounds like a hassle but that might be what I'll have to do.

Brother Oni
2014-01-10, 02:59 AM
Sounds like a hassle but that might be what I'll have to do.

It is a hassle, but given that every other option fails, there's not much choice. Does the sound play when you boot up your computer cold rather than from sleep?

Kluev
2014-01-10, 04:20 AM
Is this bios sound? You can disable it there

noparlpf
2014-01-10, 08:02 AM
It is a hassle, but given that every other option fails, there's not much choice. Does the sound play when you boot up your computer cold rather than from sleep?

Yeah, anytime the computer starts. I guess I have to decide whether the sound is more annoying than the process to disable it.

Is this bios sound? You can disable it there

How?