PDA

View Full Version : True Believer feat: Still required?

littlebum2002
2014-01-07, 08:58 AM
I was looking at some relics in Complete Divine (specifically, the Sword of Virtue Beyond Reproach, and Helm of the Purple Plume, both of Heironeous). Then, as I was looking through the MIC, I found them both in there, and both were neutered.

(While I don't mind the reduced costs, and the extra benefits weren't really worth it anyway, weren't relics supposed to be items of tremendous worth? Now they're so weak you could get something better by 8th level or so. What gives?)

Anyway, rant aside, is the True Believer feat still needed for the neutered versions? If so, I might just ask my DM to allow the old versions...

Segev
2014-01-07, 09:17 AM
The rules on Relics haven't changed. To use their "relic" powers, you must follow the god in question and either be a cleric and sacrifice a spell of the appropriate level each day, or have the True Believer feat. Otherwise, you can use the non-relic powers of the item if you meet the alignment requirements. (You can UMD to fake the alignment; you can't UMD to fake devotion to a specific god, to fake sacrificing a spell, nor to fake having a specific feat.)

phlidwsn
2014-01-07, 09:18 AM
True Believer (or the spell slot cost) is only needed to unlock the relic power. For instance, anyone of the right alignment can use an Enveloping Pit like a Portable Hole but only someone who has unlocked the relic power can use the remote open command.

littlebum2002
2014-01-07, 09:56 AM
OOOH, OK. I'm reading it again and that seems really obvious now. Thanks!