PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Animal Companion

hymer
2014-01-07, 01:07 PM
A wizard can exchange his familiar for a half-strength animal companion. At low levels especially, how do you communicate with such an animal? You don't have Handle Animal, though this isn't a huge problem, but if you want to use your companion for scouting, is this possible before casting Tongues on the animal?
What if you have a cleric friend (with no useful domain spells), could s/he help? You could cast Comprehend Languages to get the animal to understand, I suppose, but it's hard to get it to make a report.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-07, 01:10 PM
I don't think comprehend languages lets you talk to animals.

hymer
2014-01-07, 01:11 PM
No, but through the Link you have with your animal companion, you can cast Comprehend Languages on the animal companion, which will then understand what you're telling it.

Chronos
2014-01-07, 01:36 PM
If you want to communicate with your animal or use it for scouting, then the simple solution is to keep a familiar and not trade it in for an animal companion to begin with. Animal companions are good at combat; familiars are good at everything else.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-07, 01:44 PM
If you want to communicate with your animal or use it for scouting, then the simple solution is to keep a familiar and not trade it in for an animal companion to begin with. Animal companions are good at combat; familiars are good at everything else.

They're also good at combat

hymer
2014-01-07, 02:00 PM
@ Chronos & (Un)Inspired: No argument from me, but one of my players has done this for fluff reasons (which I consider perfectly respectable). If I can give him some ideas on ways to use his companion, I'd like to.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-07, 02:16 PM
Train the animal through Pavlovian conditioning with acid splash punishments.