PDA

View Full Version : Weapon enchants; Vicious & Fleshgrinding

Fairmeadow
2014-01-07, 01:12 PM
Hello.

I'm currently playing my first campaign of D&D and managed to die (yay me), now im making a new character, and i got some money to spend, and was looking to craft some weapons, and im wondering, if i get a Vicious fleshgrinding dagger +1, will i take 1d6 damage myself every turn its grinding? or is it just the turn i hit him?

Thanks for any answers, and if it deals 1d6 damage to myself every turn its grinding is there any other enchantment (other than acid fire etc that works well with fleshgrinding?)

I'm making a Drow Ninja / Shadowdancer if it makes a difference (dont know why it would)

Diarmuid
2014-01-07, 01:45 PM
Vicious states that it only occurs when the weapon "strikes" the target.

I dont think it would continue to add the 2d6 while fleshgrinding nor deal an additional 1d6 to you. It would simply deal the fleshgrinding damage.

I've never really understood the allure to Fleshgrinding. It certainly sounds fun, but in practice it just means having to have lots of weapons to make it effective as you need to leave them in people to have it continue to deal dmg.

Fairmeadow
2014-01-07, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the reply, that makes sense :>

With the quick draw feat and 3 / 4 daggers i thought it would be atleast a fun way to go about it, im not really looking to min maxing, just to have fun while playing :)

Diarmuid
2014-01-07, 01:52 PM
Agreed it sounds fun, but every weapon you want fleshgrinding costs at least 18,300gp due to having to be +1 before having the +2 fleshgrinding added.

Just not terribly cost effective.

zabbarot
2014-01-07, 02:05 PM
Fleshgrinding says it deals damage "as if the character who had been wielding it had dealt a successful hit with it" so I'm pretty sure you would apply Vicious and any other weapon enhancements (flaming, icy, etc) on each hit as well.

Really I would say you only need one Fleshgrinding weapon. Put Masterslaying and a weapon augment crystal of return (the intermediate one I think) and you have a weapon that you can throw at someone at the beginning of the encounter, leave in them to deal damage for 5 turns, and then call it back to yourself. In addition Masterslaying means if they manage the dc20 check to pull it out you can have it attack them again and restart the 5 turn grind. There are three levels to the Crystal of Return and I don't remember which one you'd specifically want, but I believe its the middle level that lets you summon the weapon to your hand as it's "unattended". I'm pretty sure it only count's as attended if someone else is actually holding it, hopefully your dm won't rule that being stabbed counts as having control of the weapon.

Edit: basically you would have a few daggers, but you'd always throw this one first :smalltongue:

Fairmeadow
2014-01-07, 02:22 PM
Also, its minor, but i dont understand then 18300GP cost, DM Guide says

+1 2,000 gp
+2 8,000 gp
+3 18,000 gp
+4 32,000 gp
+5 50,000 gp

Where does the 300g come from? what am i missing? im pretty new to this web of rules

Chronos
2014-01-07, 02:27 PM
Those are the costs to make it magical. The 300 is the cost to make it masterwork, which you need to do before enchanting it at all. And of course you also need to add the cost of whatever base weapon you're using.

Fairmeadow
2014-01-07, 02:28 PM
I was litterally just gonna edit my comment to ask if it was for masterwork :} Base cost is very low for daggers though, so thats not really an issue

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-07, 02:29 PM
Also, its minor, but i dont understand then 18300GP cost, DM Guide says

+1 2,000 gp
+2 8,000 gp
+3 18,000 gp
+4 32,000 gp
+5 50,000 gp

Where does the 300g come from? what am i missing? im pretty new to this web of rules

ever heard of a masterwork weapon?

edit: swordsaged

Slipperychicken
2014-01-07, 02:29 PM

I believe that he is including the 300gp cost to make the weapon masterwork first (as this is a requirement for a magic weapon). I thought that the masterwork cost was already included the cost to make an item magical, but I can't seem to find such a rule in the magic items section of the SRD.