PDA

View Full Version : Questionable Gestalt build?

Gamereaper
2014-01-07, 01:33 PM
1) Shi'ar//Warlock (3 Levels)
2) Eldritch Theurge//Feat Rogue (5 Levels)
3) Sacred Exorcist// Feat Rogue (1 Level)
4) Abjurant Champion//Warlock (2 Levels)
5) Eldritch Disciple//Fighter (9 Levels)

Would these combinations be valid for a Gestalt?

If it is, what are the cons of having a build like this?

Heliomance
2014-01-07, 01:34 PM
Duel progression PrCs (like Eldritch Theurge) are not allowed in Gestalt.

Gamereaper
2014-01-07, 01:39 PM
Duel progression PrCs (like Eldritch Theurge) are not allowed in Gestalt.

I thought they were referred to as a "soft forbidden". Like an unwritten rule or something.

Toliudar
2014-01-07, 01:42 PM
The gestalt rules as a whole are an optional variant. Part of that optional variant is a recommendation to not allow dual progression prestige classes. In other words, you might find a game that allows them, but I wouldn't count on it.

sideswipe
2014-01-07, 01:55 PM

you took an odd amount of fighter levels. this is against all major principles of optimising a build. since that is what you are trying to do with a build type like this.

Gamereaper
2014-01-07, 02:07 PM
you took an odd amount of fighter levels. this is against all major principles of optimising a build. since that is what you are trying to do with a build type like this.

The idea behind it is to grant more HP, feats, fort saves, and feats. I figured those are more important later on. The Feat Rogue is to add in extra skill points which come in handy after beginning levels. Especially since INT isn't my primary casting stat.

sideswipe
2014-01-07, 02:19 PM
The idea behind it is to grant more HP, feats, fort saves, and feats. I figured those are more important later on. The Feat Rogue is to add in extra skill points which come in handy after beginning levels. Especially since INT isn't my primary casting stat.

yes but 9th level fighter gives you no feats, no abilities, lowest possible skills one good save, and A d10 hit die.
its only thing it gives you that cannot be improved is +1 base attack.
so any other class that gives you a D10 hit die and base attack progression is without any doubt just better.

you could take a barbarian varient. like lion to give you pounce.
you could take swashbuckler which is a poor choice at that point but it gets you weapon finesse. an extra feat whilst giving you the fighter benefits.
personally i would take warblade, barbarian or any other choice at that level. as the 9th fighter gains nothing. though 8 is worth taking if you want the feats.

Gamereaper
2014-01-07, 04:03 PM
yes but 9th level fighter gives you no feats, no abilities, lowest possible skills one good save, and A d10 hit die.
its only thing it gives you that cannot be improved is +1 base attack.
so any other class that gives you a D10 hit die and base attack progression is without any doubt just better.

you could take a barbarian varient. like lion to give you pounce.
you could take swashbuckler which is a poor choice at that point but it gets you weapon finesse. an extra feat whilst giving you the fighter benefits.
personally i would take warblade, barbarian or any other choice at that level. as the 9th fighter gains nothing. though 8 is worth taking if you want the feats.

The problem is that I'm too old school to understand any of that lion totems and pounce, I just want something simple. I might just do another Feat Rogue.

sideswipe
2014-01-07, 04:06 PM

ummmmm.... you wanted something simple........
looks reasonably complex to me.

how about. if you want feats.
fighter 20/ feat rogue 20

thats simple.

Chronos
2014-01-07, 04:23 PM
Fighter 20//feat rogue 20 won't work, since you're getting the same class feature on both sides of the gestalt, and so will only get one feat progression.

Demidos
2014-01-07, 04:26 PM
It would probably be allowed if you do, say,

Warlock 1/Fighter 1
Feat Rogue 19/Fighter19

Note that this is still a fairly weak build, as that many feats quickly become redundant/useless unless you want, say, a TWF tripper build with archery capability. In which case...fair enough. That would be pretty awesome. :smalltongue:

Kaje
2014-01-07, 04:32 PM
No it wouldn't. Sides are an abstraction. That's a warlock 1/rogue 19//fighter 20. The feature still accrues only once.

sideswipe
2014-01-07, 04:55 PM
Fighter 20//feat rogue 20 won't work, since you're getting the same class feature on both sides of the gestalt, and so will only get one feat progression.

fighter 20/ X 2 /feat rogue 17/ X1

you get fighter feat every level

gorfnab
2014-01-07, 06:32 PM
9 levels of Fighter is okay if you go with the Zhentarim Fighter sub levels and take the feat Imperious Command and the Never Outnumbered skill trick.

Gamereaper
2014-01-07, 10:47 PM
ummmmm.... you wanted something simple........
looks reasonably complex to me.

how about. if you want feats.
fighter 20/ feat rogue 20

thats simple.

Ok, that's somewhat insulting. :(

Simple along the lines of not something ridiculous like

Lizard man half tauren fey touched lion totem pouncing barbarian rager with TWF wielding dual lightsaber chainsaw gunblade flind bars with a skill trick of being able to do a backflip while throwing his deca sided knife +9/+14 vs. undead evil outsider half ogres.

That crap is WAY over my head.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-07, 10:56 PM

He actually took nine Fighter levels, which is acceptable with Zhentarim Soldier (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) since you get its best ability at the 9th class level.

gorfnab
2014-01-07, 11:14 PM
The problem is that I'm too old school to understand any of that lion totems and pounce, I just want something simple. I might just do another Feat Rogue.
Spirit Totem: Lion is a Barbarian Alternate Class Feature (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=co5gh0t6t7gjuhvthgpdfm8av4&topic=7908) found in Complete Champion (page 46). You give up the Barbarian's Fast Movement ability and gain the Pounce ability (Monster Manual page 313).

What kind of build are you trying to accomplish? It looks like you're trying to make a Gish build but it seems very cluttered.

Kaje
2014-01-07, 11:19 PM
Ok, that's somewhat insulting. :(

Simple along the lines of not something ridiculous like

Lizard man half tauren fey touched lion totem pouncing barbarian rager with TWF wielding dual lightsaber chainsaw gunblade flind bars with a skill trick of being able to do a backflip while throwing his deca sided knife +9/+14 vs. undead evil outsider half ogres.

That crap is WAY over my head.

Well sure, but a Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian is just an alternate class feature from a commonly used book.

Gamereaper
2014-01-08, 01:46 AM
Well sure, but a Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian is just an alternate class feature from a commonly used book.

I was making a joke about how overly balls complex people get with minmaxing.

Gamereaper
2014-01-08, 02:08 AM
What kind of build are you trying to accomplish? It looks like you're trying to make a Gish build but it seems very cluttered.

Decent BAB triple caster. It could Gish, but I was focusing on the casting aspect.

I had to lose a couple CL though.