PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Grit Fighter [PEACH] please

Dienekes
2014-01-07, 02:54 PM
Pathfinder and I have a love/hate relationship. I think they have so much potential and then completely squander their good ideas. Giving fighters class features? Brilliant and needed, pity they were all +1 to attack and damage nonsense.

One such example was the Grit system made for the Gunslinger class. It was a fun, interesting mechanic to give mundanes that allows them to perform cool actions in combat. However, I felt it suffered from a few problems. First the number of grit points was rather low. When one of my player tried playing as one he ran out of points in a blink of an eye. Second, and most importantly, a lot of the abilities granted by the grit points were rather lackluster.

When I heard they were attempting to mix a gunslinger with a fighter in the Advanced classes, I got rather excited. This could be the attempt to really give fighter's cool things. Unfortunately, the abilities were again rather lackluster and it was forcing the player to use einhander in order to use the class. So, I decided to try my hand at making a grit based fighter.

I think Grit as a mechanic has a lot of potential. The biggest complaint I've heard against Tome of Battle is that it turned fighters into spellcasters. While I personally think this is bogus and missing the point of the Warblade, I have never heard that complaint leveled against the gunslinger. The mechanic is different enough from spells in layout and mechanics that few are bothered by it, yet still allow the character to do powerful and amazing things. And that is what this remake is about. I am not entirely worried about fixing the classes and the tier system.

THE FIGHTER

Role: The fighter is primarily a combatant. I hope I didn't blow anyone's minds away with that startling revelation. But there it is.
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d10
Starting Wealth: 5d6 x 10 gp (average 175 gp). In addition each player begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less.

Class Skills
The fighter’s class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Appraise (Int), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (Engineering) (Int), Knowledge (Geography) (Int), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Nobility) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Stealth (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str)

Skill Ranks per level: 4 + Int modifier

Alright, this is my first big change. Though it is one that I think won't come as a surprise to many. The fighter's skill list and skill points are pathetic. The fact that the Barbarian, the crazy guy who turns his brain off to fight, is more skilled than the supposedly well trained fighter.

Now, I see this fighter as being able to fill any of the classic fighter type roles, but not all of them. So his skill list is a bit bigger than the 4 skill points normally allow. I'm currently on the fence on whether I should bump him up to 6 points or not. I can see an argument to be made for both sides on that one.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Deeds

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Bonus Feat, Grit|

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Bonus Feat|

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1||

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Bonus Feat|

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1||

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2|Bonus Feat, Improved Deeds|

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+2||

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|Bonus Feat|

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+3||

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+3|Bonus Feat|

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+3|Advanced Deeds|

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+4|Bonus Feat|

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+4||

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+4|Bonus Feat|

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+5||

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+5|Bonus Feat, Master Deeds|

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5||

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|Bonus Feat|

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6||

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|Bonus Feat|
21[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A fighter is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, light, and medium) and shields (including tower shields).

Bonus Feats
At 1st level, and at every even level thereafter, a fighter gains a bonus feat in addition to those gained from normal advancement (meaning that the fighter gains a feat at every level). These bonus feats must be selected from those listed as Combat Feats, sometimes also called “fighter bonus feats.”

Upon reaching 4th level, and every four levels thereafter (8th, 12th, and so on), a fighter can choose to learn a new bonus feat in place of a bonus feat he has already learned. In effect, the fighter loses the bonus feat in exchange for the new one. The old feat cannot be one that was used as a prerequisite for another feat, prestige class, or other ability. A fighter can only change one feat at any given level and must choose whether or not to swap the feat at the time he gains a new bonus feat for the level.

Grit (Ex)
A fighter makes his mark upon the world with daring deeds.
At first level a fighter must choose between his Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma attribute. The modifier of this attribute determines how much grit the fighter starts with at the beginning of each day (minimum 1). This modifier will be referred to as his Grit modifier. His grit may go up or down throughout the day, but usually cannot go higher than the chosen attribute modifier, though some feats and magic items may affect this maximum. A fighter spends grit to accomplish deeds (see below), and regains grit in the following ways.

Critical Hit: Each time the fighter confirms a critical hit while in the heat of combat, he regains 1 grit point. Confirming a critical hit on a helpless or unaware creature or on a creature that has fewer Hit Die than half the fighter’s character level does not restore grit.

Killing Blow: When the fighter reduces a creature to 0 or fewer hit points while in the heat of combat, he regains 1 grit point. Destroying an unattended object, reducing a helpless or unaware creature to 0 or fewer hit points, or reducing a creature that has fewer Hit Dice than half the fighter’s character level to 0 or fewer hit points does not restore any grit.

Daring Act: Each time a fighter performs a daring act, he can regain grit. As a general guideline, a daring act should be risky and dramatic. It should take a good deal of guts, and its outcome should have a low probability of success. If it is successful, the fighter regains 1 grit point.
Before attempting a daring act, the player should ask the GM whether the act qualifies. The GM is the final arbiter of what’s considered a daring act, and can grant a regained grit point for a daring act even if the player does not ask beforehand whether the act qualifies.

Glorious Victory: Each time a fighter participates in a combat encounter and end the combat victorious, conscious, and not under the influence of a hostile mind-affecting effect, he regains 2 grit points. If there are no opponents in the combat encounter that has more Hit Dice than half the fighter’s character level, he does not restore any grit.

Deeds
Fighters spend grit points to accomplish deeds. Most deeds grant the fighter some momentary bonus or effect, but there are some that provide longer-lasting effects. Some deeds stay in effect as long as the fighter has at least 1 grit point. The following is the list of base fighter deeds. To learn and use a deed the fighter must learn the deed upon gaining a fighter level. The amount of deeds the fighter can learn is given on Table: Fighter. Unless otherwise noted, a deed can be performed multiple successive times, as long as the appropriate amount of grit is spent to perform the deed. However, the effects of a single deed do not stack with itself, unless otherwise noted.

Alright the real meat of this fighter fix. I have changed the grit and deed mechanics in a few important ways. I've added Daring Acts as a normal method of obtaining grit. But more importantly I added Glorious Victory, which I hope, will give the fighter a decent stream of grit points to spend, while the limitations on what battles count keep the theme that the fighter has to be daring in order to gain grit.

Also to allow more customization and different available types of fighter, two more changes were created to grit and deeds. Now the fighter can choose what attribute to use for grit points. This allows the player to use the class to play as a learned tactician, dashing swordsman, or wise veteran, or whatever the player wants. And for the same desire for choices deeds are now chosen instead of gained automatically.

Improved Deeds (Ex): At 6th level a fighter can choose to pick deeds from the Improved Deeds list when learning new deeds.

Advanced Deeds (Ex): At 11th level a fighter can choose to pick deeds from the Advanced Deeds list when learning new deeds.

Master Deeds (Ex): At 16th level a fighter can choose to pick deeds from the Master Deeds list when learning new deeds.

DEED LIST
Accurate Attack (Ex): When the fighter makes an attack roll he can spend 1 grit point as a free action. His attack roll gains a competence bonus equal to his Grit modifier.

Acrobatic Strike (Ex): If a fighter makes an Acrobatics check to get into position directly before making a melee attack roll, he may spend 1 grit point as a free action. If he does so, the fighter replaces his attack roll with an Acrobatics skill check.

Agile Dodge (Ex): A fighter can spend a grit point as a free action when an opponent attempts to attack him with a melee or ranged attack. He gains +4 to his Armor Class against that attack and can move 5 feet. This movement does not provoke an attack of opportunity. A fighter can only perform this maneuver when wearing light or no armor, and carrying no more than a light load.

Aim (Ex): The fighter can spend a grit point as a free action when making a ranged attack. This attack ignores cover, but not complete cover.

Armor Block (Ex): A fighter can spend a grit point as a free action when an opponent attempts to attack him with a melee or ranged attack. He gains +4 to his Armor Class and 10 DR/- against that attack. A fighter can only perform this maneuver when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Bravery (Ex): While the fighter has at least 1 grit point he becomes immune to fear (magical or otherwise).

Cleaving Strike (Ex): When a fighter makes a melee attack he can spend 1 grit point as a free action, this attack roll hits two separate targets both within his reach and adjacent to each other.

Combat Maneuver Training (Ex): When the fighter attempts a combat maneuver he can spend 1 grit point as a free action. The combat maneuver does not provoking an attack of opportunity and he gains a +2 bonus to his Combat Maneuver Bonus.

Athletic Prowess (Ex): A fighter can spend 1 grit point as a free action when making an Acrobatics, Climb, Ride, Stealth, or Swim check. He must choose to do this before he rolls. He can roll twice and take the better result.

Deadeye (Ex): The fighter can resolve an attack against touch AC instead of normal AC when attacking with a ranged weapon. Performing this deed costs 1 grit point per range increment as a free action. The fighter still takes the -2 penalty on attack rolls for each range increment beyond the first when he performs this deed.

Delay Damage (Ex): When a fighter is dealt damage he can spend 1 grit point as a free action to negate the damage, instead that damage is dealt to him one round later. He must be wearing medium or heavy armor to use this deed.

Everything’s a Weapon (Ex): While the fighter has at least 1 grit point he does not suffer from proficiency penalties when using improvised weapons.

Fighter’s Feint (Ex): When a fighter makes a feint check instead of using Bluff he makes a melee attack roll. A fighter can perform this deed so long as he has 1 grit point remaining.

Feinting is a common technique to any swordsman, yet in D&D it’s a Bluff action which isn’t even on the fighter’s skill list. I’ve always thought this was stupid.

Improved Weapon Finesse (Ex): When a fighter makes a melee attack with a Finesse weapon, he can add his Dex modifier instead of his Str modifier to melee attack damage. In addition, if a deed forces the target to make a save with the DC requiring his Str modifier he may instead use his Dex modifier, so long as the fighter has 1 grit point remaining.

Interpose (Ex): A fighter can spend 2 grit points as a free action when an opponent attempts to attack one ally adjacent to the fighter with a melee or ranged attack or casts a single target spell against that ally. The attack or spell instead target’s the fighter.

Intimidating Strike (Ex): A fighter can spend 1 grit point as a free action when making a melee attack roll. If the attack is successful he can make an Intimidation check to demoralize that opponent as a free action.

Knock Back Bash (Ex): When a fighter makes a shield bash attack he can spend 1 grit point as a free action. If the attack is successful the opponent must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Str modifier) or be pushed back 5 feet.

Mark (Ex): A fighter can spend 1 grit point as a free action when making a melee attack roll. If the attack is successful that opponent is marked. A marked opponent takes a -2 penalty to all attack rolls made against his allies, in addition if the marked opponent forces his ally to make a save do to casting a spell the save DC is reduced by 2.

Shamelessly stolen from 4e, but I added the penalty to casters as well. Casters need more things to smack them around in my opinion.

Overcome Weakness (Ex): A fighter can spend 2 grit points as a free action when making a Saving Throw. He can use his base attack bonus in place of his base save progression, but still adds the necessary attribute.

Based on the Diamond Mind maneuvers that replace saves. Is this deed too powerful? It protects all the saves instead of just one. I’m on the fence on this one.

Parry (Ex): When an opponent makes a melee attack against the fighter, he can spend 1 grit point as a free action to attempt to parry the attack. The fighter makes an attack roll at his highest base attack bonus. If his attack roll is greater than the roll of the attacking creature, the attack automatically misses.

Position Soldier (Ex): A fighter may take a swift action to spend 2 grit points. If he does so, one ally that can see and understand him may make an immediate move action.

Riposte (Ex): Immediately after a fighter performs a successful parry, he can make an attack of opportunity against the creature whose attack he blocked, provided that creature is within his reach. He must have an available attack of opportunity to use this deed and at least 1 grit point remaining.

The Swashbuckler is going through such hoops to try and get this ability right. I decided to just make it automatic after a successful parry for a few reasons. The parry makes this maneuver a bit difficult to pull off and he needs to have an attack of opportunity available.

Shield Allies (Ex): A fighter can spend 1 grit point as a free action on his turn. All allies adjacent to him gain a +4 bonus to their Armor Class until the start of his next turn or until they are no longer adjacent to him. A fighter can only perform this maneuver when wielding a shield other than a buckler.

Spear Training (Ex): While the fighter has at least 1 grit point he may treat spears as one-handed weapons. In addition he can attack adjacent opponents with reach weapons.

I like spears. Spears do not get the love they deserve

Targeting (Ex): When a fighter makes an attack action against a single target he may spend 1 grit point to target a specific part of the foe’s body as a free action. The fighter chooses a part of the body to target. If the attack succeeds, the target takes the following effects, depending on the part of the body targeted. If a creature doesn’t have one of the listed body locations, that part cannot be targeted. Creatures that are immune to sneak attacks are immune to these effects. Items or abilities that protect a creature from critical hits also protect a creature form a targeted strike.
Arms: On a successful hit, the target is damaged normally and must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Str modifier if the attack is melee or thrown or the fighter’s Dex modifier if the attack is ranged), if the target fails the save the target drops one carried item of the fighter’s choice, even if the item is wielded in two hands. Items held in a locked gauntlet aren’t dropped on a hit.
Head: On a successful hit, the target is damaged normally and must make a For save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Str modifier if the attack is melee or thrown or the fighter’s Dex modifier if the attack is ranged), if the target fails the save it is confused for 1 round.
Legs: On a successful hit, the target is damaged normally and must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Str modifier if the attack is melee or thrown or the fighter’s Dex modifier if the attack is ranged), if the target fails the save the target is knocked prone. Creatures with four or more legs or that are immune to trip attacks are immune to this effect.
Torso: On a successful hit, the target is damaged normally and must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Str modifier if the attack is melee or thrown or the fighter’s Dex modifier if the attack is ranged), if the target fails the save the target is staggered for 1 round.

So I changed this deed in a few ways. First I made it an attack action instead of a full-round action, because I like the concept that the fighter can switch around what he attacks fluidly. However, I added a save. I don’t like giving automatic effects.

IMPROVED DEEDS LIST
Adrenaline (Ex): As a move action a fighter may spend 1 grit point to gain temporary hit points equal to 10 + 2 x his level.

A question do these temp hit points scale well?

Agile Armor (Ex): While a fighter has at least 1 grit point, his movement speed is not reduced by wearing armor. In addition he may treat medium armor as light armor for the purposes of using deeds and abilities.

Battle Orders (Ex): As a swift action a fighter can spend 1 grit points as a free action to give commands to his allies. Until the start of his next turn all allies that can see and understand him gain a competence bonus to their attack rolls equal to the fighter’s Int modifier.

Now, this is sort of supposed to be a tactician’s ability. And it was supposed to be one of three abilities used for each of the mental attributes. However, I’m drawing a blank on what could be used for Charisma and Wisdom. Anyone have any good flavorful ideas? If not, I guess I can just turn this ability into Grit modifier instead of Int modifier.

Bleeding Stab (Ex): When a fighter makes melee attack roll that deals piercing damage he can spend 1 grit point as a free action to have that attack deal extra bleed damage equal to the fighter’s Str modifier if the attack was melee or thrown attack, or Dex modifier if the attack was ranged.
Alternatively, the fighter can spend 2 grit points to deal 1 point of Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution bleed damage (fighter’s choice) instead. Creatures that are immune to sneak attacks are immune to these types of bleed damage.

Careful Archer (Ex): While a fighter has at least 1 grit point his ranged attacks do not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Command Soldier (Ex): A fighter may take a swift action to spend 3 grit points. If he does so, one ally that can see and understand him may make an immediate standard action. Prerequisite: Position Soldier

Compel Ally (Ex): As a swift action a fighter may spend 3 grit points to change one allies Initiative count to change to directly behind that of the fighter’s. The allies initiative count is changed for the remainder of the encounter. This deed can allow an ally to have more than one turn in a round.

Critical Attack (Ex): When a fighter makes an attack that threatens a critical he can spend 1 grit point as a free action. The critical is automatically confirmed, however, this critical does not regain grit points like a normal critical would.

Dazing Shield (Ex): When a fighter makes an attack roll to make a shield bash he can spend 1 grit point as a free action. If the attack is successful the opponent must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Str modifier) or become Dazed for the next round.

Delay Magic (Ex): When a fighter is the target of a spell he can spend 1 grit point as a free action to negate the effect of the spell, instead the spell affects him one round later. He must be wearing medium or heavy armor to use this deed. Prerequisite: Delay Damage deed

Double Strike (Ex): While a fighter has at least 1 grit point and is wielding two weapons, he may make two attacks as a standard action both at a -2 penalty to his attack roll.

Draw Cut (Ex): As an attack action a fighter may spend 1 grit point to draw his weapon and make a melee attack. This attack deals sneak attack damage. This deed can only be used once with each weapon and once against each opponent in an encounter. Prerequisite: Quick Draw feat, Fighter Sneak Attack

Einhander Training (Ex): When a fighter is making a melee attack with a one-handed weapon and does not have a weapon or shield in the other hand he may spend 1 grit point as a free action. If he does so he may make a 5 foot step. This does not count as his 5 foot step for the round, and this movement is not subtracted from his movement speed.

I really want to give einhander’s something to make it, if not optimal, at least a worthwhile option. Anyone have any better ideas?

Fighter’s Prerogative (Ex): A fighter may spend 1 grit point as a swift action, his Initiative increases by 10 at the start of the next round. A fighter can only use this deed once per encounter.

Fighter Sneak Attack (Ex): When a fighter makes a melee attack against a flanked or flat-footed opponent the fighter can spend a grit point as a free action to deal +1d6 sneak attack damage + an additional +1d6 every 3 fighter levels after the first.

Firm Stance (Ex): If a fighter is the target of a Bull Rush, Drag, Overrun, Reposition, or Trip maneuver he may spend 1 grit point as a reaction to increase his CMD by 10 against that maneuver.

Force Attention (Ex): When a fighter makes a melee attack he may spend 1 grit point as a free action. If the hit is successful the target must make a Will save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Str modifier) or become unable to make attacks of opportunity until the start of the fighter’s next turn.

Grisly Display (Ex): If the fighter successfully kills an opponent with a melee attack he may spend 1 grit point as a free action and make an Intimidation check to demoralize as a free action. This Intimidation check affects all opponents within 30 feet of the fighter who can see him. Prerequisite: Intimidating Strike

Guardian Strike (Ex): If a fighter attacks a creature that successfully damaged an ally or cast a spell that affected an ally between the fighter’s last turn and his current turn he can spend 2 grit points as a free action to deal +xd6 damage against that opponent where X is equal to ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus.

Improved Combat Maneuver Training (Ex): The fighter can perform a combat maneuver without provoking an attack of opportunity and gains a +4 bonus to his Combat Maneuver Bonus. If the maneuver is successful he can gains an attack of opportunity against that target. Performing this deed costs 1 grit point as a free action. Prerequisite: Combat Maneuver Training deed

Improved Targeting (Ex): When a fighter makes an attack action against a single target he may spend 1 grit point to target a specific part of the foe’s body as a free action. The fighter chooses a part of the body to target. IF the attack succeeds, the target takes the following effects, depending on the part of the body targeted. If a creature doesn’t have one of the listed body locations, that part cannot be targeted. Creatures that are immune to sneak attacks are immune to these effects. Items or abilities that protect a creature from critical hits also protect a creature form a targeted strike.
Hand: On a hit, the target is damaged normally and must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Str modifier if the attack is melee or thrown or the fighter’s Dex modifier if the attack is ranged), if the target fails the save the target drops one carried item of the fighter’s choice, even if the item is wielded in two hands. Items held in a locked gauntlet aren’t dropped on a hit.
Hamstring: On a hit, the target is damaged normally and must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Str modifier if the attack is melee or thrown or the fighter’s Dex modifier if the attack is ranged), if the target fails the save the target’s movement speed is halved. Creatures with four or more legs or that are immune to trip attacks are immune to this effect.
Neck: On a hit, the target is damaged normally and must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Str modifier if the attack is melee or thrown or the fighter’s Dex modifier if the attack is ranged), if the target fails the save the target is mute for 1 round.
Eyes: On a hit, the target is damaged normally and must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Str modifier if the attack is melee or thrown or the fighter’s Dex modifier if the attack is ranged), if the target fails the save the target is blinded for 1 round.
Prerequisite: Targeting

Nauseating Bash (Ex): When a fighter is making a melee attack that deals bludgeoning damage he can spend 2 grit points as a free action. If the attack is successful the opponent must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Str modifier) or become Nauseated for 1 round.

Nimble Fighter (Ex): If a fighter moves more than 10 feet in a round he gains a dodge bonus to his Armor Class equal to his Dex modifier, and an equivalent bonus to his Fort, Reflex, and Will Save. Anything that causes the fighter to lose his Dex bonus to AC also causes the fighter to lose these bonuses. The fighter must be in light or no armor and carrying no more than a light load.

Ranged Maneuvers (Ex): The fighter can perform one of the following combat maneuvers with a ranged weapon by spending 1 grit point as a free action: Bull Rush, Disarm, Trip, Dirty Trick, Sunder. The fighter makes a CMB roll that uses his Dex instead of his Str modifier against the opponents CMD, but suffers a -2 penalty to the roll. The fighter can perform this deed against any target within 30 feet.

I’m thinking of maybe getting rid of the -2 penalty. Thoughts?

Retribution Strike (Ex): If a fighter attacks a creature that successfully damaged him or cast a spell that affected him between the fighter’s last turn and his current turn he can spend 2 grit points as a free action to deal +xd6 damage against that opponent where X is equal to ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus.

Ricochet Shot (Ex): When a fighter makes a ranged or thrown attack against a target with cover he may spend 1 grit point as a free action to reduce the benefit of that target’s cover by one step.

To be used with Aim to negate cover completely. Though honestly, I think I should just make Improved Aim and be done with it. Then use Ricochet Shot to do something different, like not attacking in a straight line. I just can’t think of a way to write that ability to make sense.

Rush (Ex): While a fighter has at least 1 grit point his speed increases by 10 feet. In addition he can choose to spend 1 grit point as a swift action to increase his speed by an additional 10 feet. The fighter must be in light or no armor and carrying no more than a light load.

Shield Mastery (Ex): While a fighter has 1 grit point he adds his Shield bonus to AC to his Reflex save, in addition he doubles his Shield bonus.

Shot through the Wind (Ex): A fighter may spend 1 grit point as a free action to negate the effects of weather on his next single ranged attack roll.

Slice Through (Ex): When a fighter is making a melee attack that deals slashing damage he may spend 1 grit point, if he does so the attack also targets all opponents adjacent to the initial target as long as they are within the fighter’s reach. The attack and damage rolls are only rolled once.

Smash (Ex): When making an attack a fighter may spend 1 grit point as a free action, this attack ignores Hardness.

Split the Arrow (Ex): A fighter can spend 1 grit point as a free action to gain a +10 bonus to his attack roll when making a ranged attack against an opponent that he had previously hit with a ranged attack either earlier on that turn or on the previous turn, without missing in between the two shots.

Subtle Weapon (Ex): If a fighter is the target of a Dirty Trick, Disarm, Steal, or Sunder he may spend 1 grit point as a reaction to increase his CMD by 10 against that maneuver.

Target Weakness (Ex): When making an attack a fighter can spend 2 grit points as a free action, if the attack is successful the opponent’s Damage Reduction is halved.

Two-Weapon Rend (Ex): While the fighter has at least 1 grit point and is wielding two weapons his attacks are more deadly. If the fighter damages a creature with both weapons one directly after the other he can add the damages together before calculating how much is prevented do to the target’s DR.

Warlord’s Strike (Ex): When the fighter makes an attack against an opponent he can spend 1 grit point as a free action. Until the start of his next turn all allies deal an additional +3d6 damage when attacking that creature.

Warriors Surge (Ex): A fighter may spend 2 grit points as a swift action to remove one of the following conditions on him:
Confused, Cowering, Dazed, Dazzled, Disabled, Energy Drained, Exhausted, Fascinated, Fatigued, Frightened, Helpless, Nauseated, Panicked, Paralyzed, Pinned, Shaken, Sickened, Staggered, Stunned, Unconscious
If the condition does not allow for the fighter to take actions, the fighter’s player can still use this deed on the initiative count that would have been the fighter’s turn and spend the necessary grit points. Once done the fighter regains the actions of his turn, except his swift action is expended.
If the condition was from a spell, the spell is ended for the fighter. If the condition was from the use of a skill, deed, feat, or other natural means it is instead ignored for 1 +1d6 rounds. If the effect can be cured, stopped, or negated, it can still be cured, stopped, or negated during the rounds the effect is ignored.

So this is my Iron Heart Surge. It’s well known that HIS is broken, but the concept is too cool not to take and try and fix. A lot of folk have tried, and I do not think my version is better than others. In fact I’m almost entirely positive that I’m missing something, or it’ll work in a strange way that I didn’t anticipate. So, Playground, any comment on this one?

Oh as an aside, I specifically made it more powerful when used against magic. Largely for fluff reasons, I feel breaking a spell is something that a fighter should do, however, if someone is physically sick or bleeding the best that can be done is ignoring it for awhile.

Whirling Trip (Ex): As a full-round action the Fighter may spend 2 grit points and make a single Trip check against every opponent within reach.

Will of Steel (Ex): While a fighter has at least 1 grit point, he may add half his Armor and Shield bonus to AC (rounded down) to his Will Defense.

Wolf Pack Strike (Ex): When making a melee attack a fighter may spend 2 grit points as a free action. If the attack is successful the target becomes flanked until the start of his next turn.

ADVANCED DEEDS LIST
Bloodlust Strike (Ex): When a fighter makes an attack roll he can spend 1 grit point as a free action. If the attack is successful the fighter gains 10 + 2 x his base attack bonus temporary hit points. Prerequisite: Adrenaline

Deflecting Shield (Ex): As a reaction, when the fighter is the target of a single target spell, or spell-like ability, he can spend 3 grit points and make a shield bash attack roll against the caster of the spell at a -5 penalty even if the caster is not within reach. If the attack would hit the caster, instead of dealing damage they become the target of the spell. The fighter must be aware of the spell and the caster and not flat-footed to use this deed. A fighter must be wielding a shield to use this deed.

Evasive (Ex): While a fighter has at least 1 grit point, he gains the benefit of the evasion, uncanny dodge, and improved uncanny dodge rogue class features. He uses his fighter level as his rogue level for improved uncanny dodge.

Giant Fighter (Ex): For the purposes of using combat maneuvers and deeds the fighter acts as though he is one size category larger than he is so long as he has at least 1 grit point.

Improved Knock Back Bash (Ex): When a fighter makes a shield bash attack he can spend 1 grit point as a free action. If the attack is successful the opponent takes an additional +3d6 damage and must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Str modifier) or be pushed back 10 feet, plus an additional 5 feet for every 2 points the target failed the save. Prerequisite: Knock Back Bash

Improved Mark (Ex): A fighter can spend 1 grit point as a free action when making a melee attack roll. If the attack is successful that opponent is marked. A marked opponent takes a -5 penalty to all attack rolls made against his allies, in addition if the marked opponent forces his ally to make a save do to casting a spell the save DC is reduced by 5. Prerequisite: Mark

Improved Power Attack (Ex): When a fighter is making a melee attack with a two-handed weapon and using the Power Attack feat he may spend 1 grit point as a free action. The bonus damage from Power Attack is doubled.

Improved Ranged Maneuvers (Ex): The fighter can perform one of the following combat maneuvers with a ranged weapon by spending 1 grit point as a free action: Bull Rush, Disarm, Trip, Dirty Trick, and Sunder. The fighter makes a CMB roll that uses his Dex instead of his Str modifier against the opponents CMD. If the maneuver is successful the fighter may make an attack of opportunity against the target of the CMB roll. The fighter can use this deed against any target within range. Prerequisite: Ranged Maneuvers

Know My Name (Ex): The fighter may spend 1 grit points as a free action to gain a bonus equal to his Grit modifier to his next Intimidation or Diplomacy check.

The greatest fighters in legends command respect. So should the class, it’s not a lot, but it gives some out of combat benefits.

Raging Bull (Ex): As a standard action the fighter can spend 2 grit points and make a single Bull Rush check and a single attack roll. He moves up to his speed in a straight line, every opponent along his path is targeted by his Bull Rush, and if the Bull Rush is successful also attacked. If an opponent resists his Bull Rush the movement is stopped. The fighter must be wearing medium or heavy armor to use this deed.

Rapid Assault (Ex): A fighter can spend 2 grit points when making a charge attack, if he does so instead of making a single attack he can make a full-attack, though he does forgo his lowest attack allowed by his base attack bonus.

For some reason Pathfinder doesn’t want to just give martial classes pounce. I don’t know, it’s dumb. They love doing the whole, can’t make one of the attacks version of Pounce though. So I decided to follow suit, except I made the missing attack the weakest one instead of the strongest. I figure it allows full-attack action to still do something, if not a lot, over this maneuver.

Shot to the Ground (Ex): A fighter can spend 2 grit points when making a ranged attack roll against a flying opponent. If the attack is successful the opponent must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ his base attack bonus + his Dex modifier) if successful the target falls to the ground and is unable to fly for the next 1d4+1 rounds.

Sniper (Ex): As a full-round action a fighter can spend 2 grit points and make a single ranged attack. This attack ignores distance penalties (but does not increase maximum range), and deal an additional +Xd6 damage where X is half the fighter’s base attack bonus (rounded down).

Stunning Strike (Ex): As a standard action a fighter can take make a single attack roll against a target within reach, and spend 2 grit points. If the attack is successful the opponent must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Str modifier) if the save is failed that opponent is stunned for 1 round.

Stunning Shot (Ex): As a full-round action a fighter can make a single attack roll against a target within range, and spend 2 grit points. If the attack is successful the opponent must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Dex modifier).

Unstoppable Charge (Ex): While the fighter has at least 1 grit point he can charge over rough terrain without penalty.

Volley (Ex): As a full-round action a fighter may spend 2 grit points and make two ranged attacks and damage rolls. These attacks target every creature within a 30 foot radius of a single point within the fighter’s range.

Wearying Strike (Ex): When a fighter makes an attack roll he can spend 1 grit point as a free action. If the attack is successful the target must make a Will save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighter’s Str modifier) or become fatigued.

MASTER DEEDS LIST
Army Slayer (Ex): As a full-round action a fighter can spend 3 grit points to move up to twice his speed and make a single attack at his highest base attack bonus against every creature that comes within his reach. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity. He must be wearing light or no armor and carrying no more than a light load to use this maneuver.

Comet Fall (Ex): While the Fighter is falling more than 20 feet he may spend 3 grit points as a free action. If he does so all fall damage is halved, in addition all enemies within a 30 foot radius of where the fighter lands must make a Reflex Save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s level + his Str modifier) or 2d6 damage + an additional d6 damage for every 10 feet the fighter fell. A successful save halves this damage. The fighter must be wearing medium or heavy armor to use this maneuver.

Death Attack (Ex): When making an attack the fighter may spend 3 grit points, if the attack is successful the target is dealt an additional 100 damage. In addition, the target must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighters Str modifier) if the attack is melee or thrown or a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ the fighter’s base attack bonus + the fighters Dex modifier) if the attack is ranged. Or the target is killed.

Giant Slayer (Ex): For the purposes of using combat maneuvers and deeds the fighter acts as though he is always the size of his target so long as he has at least 1 grit point. Prerequisite: Giant Fighter.

Improved Volley (Ex): As a full-round action a fighter may spend 2 grit points and make four ranged attacks and damage rolls. These attacks target every creature within a 30 foot radius of a single point within the fighter’s range.

Juggernaut (Ex): When a fighter is the target of an attack or spell he may spend 2 grit points as a free action to completely negate the attack or effect. He must be using a shield to use this deed.

Last Stand (Ex): As a swift action a fighter can spend 2 grit points to gain 10 + his AC from armor /- DR for the next 2d4 rounds. Unlike most sources of DR this stacks with all other sources of DR a fighter has. He must be wearing heavy armor to use this deed.

Master Tactician (Ex): A fighter may spend a move action to spend 4 grit points to grant all allies that can see and understand him an immediate standard action. The order the allies take their action is the initiative order. Prerequisite: Position Soldier, Command Soldier

Perfect Strike (Ex): When a fighter makes an attack roll he may spend 3 grit points to make the attack perfect. He rolls attack and damage three times and takes the best result.

Rain of Arrows (Ex): As a full-round action a fighter may spend 3 grit points and make a single ranged attack against any opponent within range. If that attack hits he may make an additional ranged attack at a -1 penalty. If that attack hits he may make an additional ranged attack at a -2 penalty. This continues, taking an additional -1 penalty each attack until he misses.

Relentless Assault (Ex): Once per turn, at the start of a fighter’s turn he may spend 4 grit points as a free action and make a full-round attack.

Shot Around the World (Ex): As a full-round action a fighter may spend 3 grit points and make a single ranged attack roll. This attack has no maximum range and does not suffer from distance penalties to attack in addition the attack deals +Xd6 damage where X is the fighter’s base attack bonus. Prerequisite: Sniper

Warlord’s Prerogative (Ex): A fighter may spend 3 grit points as a swift action, his and all allies Initiative increases by 10 at the start of the next round. A fighter can only use this deed once per encounter. Prerequisite: Fighter’s Prerogative, Compel Ally

War Master (Ex): While a fighter has at least 1 grit point he gains an extra standard action each round. He must use this standard action to make an attack.

So that's it. Please tell me what I did wrong, what's confusing, and where it breaks apart.

Also, as an aside. One of my many weaknesses as a GM is that for some strange reason my players and I have never really got round to using mounts. I don't know why, but it just never comes up. Since I want this fighter to be able to act as a mounted knight as well as any other type of warrior, I was hoping you guys could maybe through out a few ideas on mounted combat if you had any interesting thoughts.

avr
2014-01-07, 08:28 PM
Glorious Victory: Each time a fighter participates in a combat encounter and end the combat victorious, conscious, and not under the influence of a mind-affecting effect, he regains 2 grit points. If there are no opponents in the combat encounter that has more Hit Dice than half the fighter’s character level, he does not restore any grit.

Including friendly mind-affecting effects? So Bard song turns off Glorious Victory? Needs the word hostile in there.

Agile Dodge (Ex): A fighter can spend a grit point as a free action when an opponent attempts to attack him with a melee or ranged attack. He gains +4 to his Armor Class against that attack and can move 5 feet. This movement does not provoke an attack of opportunity. A fighter can only perform this maneuver when wearing light or no armor, and carrying no more than a light load.
Free action implies you might be able to blow all your grit on one attack to get 4*grit to AC. Needs clarification. There's a few similar ones later, I won't point it out for each.

Daring-do (Ex): A fighter can spend 1 grit point as a free action when making an Acrobatics, Climb, Ride, Stealth, or Swim check. He must choose to do this before he rolls. He can roll twice and take the better result.
Name stolen from the Swashbuckler, and I hate it. Anyone have any better suggestions?
It was a typo for the swashbuckler. The name was supposed to be Derring-do. If you want to rename it, call it Athletic Prowess maybe.

Deadeye (Ex): The fighter can resolve an attack against touch AC instead of normal AC when firing beyond his weapon’s first range increment. Performing this deed costs 1 grit point per range increment beyond the first as a free action. The fighter still takes the -2 penalty on attack rolls for each range increment beyond the first when he performs this deed.
Needs to specify firearms or include a mechanism to allow touch attacks in the first range increment.

Overcome Weakness (Ex): A fighter can spend 2 grit points as a free action when making a Saving Throw. He can use his base attack bonus in place of his base save progression, but still adds the necessary attribute.

Based on the Diamond Mind maneuvers that replace saves. Is this deed too powerful? It protects all the saves instead of just one. I’m on the fence on this one.
It's fine, 2 grit points ensures it's not going to be spammed.

IMPROVED DEEDS LIST

Battle Orders (Ex): As a swift action a fighter can spend 1 grit points as a free action to give commands to his allies. Until the start of his next turn all allies that can see and understand him gain a competence bonus to their attack rolls equal to the fighter’s Int modifier.

Now, this is sort of supposed to be a tactician’s ability. And it was supposed to be one of three abilities used for each of the mental attributes. However, I’m drawing a blank on what could be used for Charisma and Wisdom. Anyone have any good flavorful ideas? If not, I guess I can just turn this ability into Grit modifier instead of Int modifier.
WIS to AC has a long history, & maybe damage for CHA?

Delay Magic (Ex): When a fighter is the target of a spell he can spend 1 grit point as a free action to negate the effect of the spell, instead the spell affects him one round later. He must be wearing medium or heavy armor to use this deed. Prerequisite: Delay Damage deed
I'm not sure how, but I'm sure this can be abused in weird ways.

I'll look at the rest later & render my (lazy & ill-thought out) opinion.

Dienekes
2014-01-08, 12:49 AM
Including friendly mind-affecting effects? So Bard song turns off Glorious Victory? Needs the word hostile in there.

Fixed.

Free action implies you might be able to blow all your grit on one attack to get 4*grit to AC. Needs clarification. There's a few similar ones later, I won't point it out for each.

I've edited the part on deeds, that the effects don't stack with the same deed. Good catch.

It was a typo for the swashbuckler. The name was supposed to be Derring-do. If you want to rename it, call it Athletic Prowess maybe.

I like your name better.

Needs to specify firearms or include a mechanism to allow touch attacks in the first range increment.

Right, that's what I get when I lazily try to bring in other abilities.

It's fine, 2 grit points ensures it's not going to be spammed.

Ok, glad it has your approval.

WIS to AC has a long history, & maybe damage for CHA?

I might do Wis to AC, but I don't think Cha to damage. Maybe, encouraging shout which gives Cha modifier x something in temporary hit points to allies?

I'm not sure how, but I'm sure this can be abused in weird ways.

If you think of one, please tell me. But as of now I'm gonna keep it as is. The idea of the fighter continuing to fight through a spell for a round is too cool.

I'll look at the rest later & render my (lazy & ill-thought out) opinion.

Thank you, you've been very helpful already.

avr
2014-01-08, 09:32 PM
OK, examples of weirdness. They may or may not be broken depending on what you like in your game.
Road Runner Coyote: The fighter gets Create Pit aimed at him (or Entangle, or Evard's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion, etc.). Delay magic, move out of area; is the fighter affected 1 round later? Or could the fighter only delay the effect on him if it was a targeted spell?
Prehealing: "I'm about to fight a demon, heal me!"
Rubberband-man: "So the chasm is 100' wide and the range of your telekinetic thrust is 60', right?"
Silent Teleporting: Silence, delay magic, teleport. A grace note on the Scry-Buff-Teleport scheme.
Poor Man's Misdirection: Evilus Maximus Jr. the Antipaladin glares over the new recruits."I want no one with a scrap of good in them on my squad. Fighter, do you have a conscience?" Detect Good. "Sir, no, sir!" "Very well." Maximus moves on. "Warrior, do you?" Delay magic expires.
My Buffs Are Mine, All Mine: Temporary immunity to Dispel Magic, Invisibility Purge, etc.

Ranged Maneuvers (Ex): The fighter can perform one of the following combat maneuvers with a ranged weapon by spending 1 grit point as a free action: Bull Rush, Disarm, Trip, Dirty Trick, Sunder. The fighter makes a CMB roll that uses his Dex instead of his Str modifier against the opponents CMD, but suffers a -2 penalty to the roll. The fighter can perform this deed against any target within 30 feet.

I’m thinking of maybe getting rid of the -2 penalty. Thoughts?
IMO, KISS. Leave off the -2.

Ricochet Shot (Ex): When a fighter makes a ranged or thrown attack against a target with cover he may spend 1 grit point as a free action to reduce the benefit of that target’s cover by one step.

To be used with Aim to negate cover completely. Though honestly, I think I should just make Improved Aim and be done with it. Then use Ricochet Shot to do something different, like not attacking in a straight line. I just can’t think of a way to write that ability to make sense.
Ricochet in every other D&D/PF context means to attack a second target with a ranged attack after hitting the first. I don't see why this would be different.

Shot through the Wind (Ex): A fighter may spend 1 grit point as a free action to negate the effects of weather on his next single ranged attack roll.
Considering how often I see weather to ranged attacks come up in game I'd make this a 'while you have at least 1 point of grit' effect. Your games may be different, I dunno.

Smash (Ex): When making an attack a fighter may spend 1 grit point as a free action, this attack ignores Hardness.
If a fighter is doing this often they should get an adamantine weapon. 'While you have at least 1 point of grit' maybe?

Warriors Surge (Ex): A fighter may spend 2 grit points as a swift action to remove one of the following conditions on him:
Confused, Cowering, Dazed, Dazzled, Disabled, Energy Drained, Exhausted, Fascinated, Fatigued, Frightened, Helpless, Nauseated, Panicked, Paralyzed, Pinned, Shaken, Sickened, Staggered, Stunned, Unconscious
If the condition does not allow for the fighter to take actions, the fighter’s player can still use this deed on the initiative count that would have been the fighter’s turn and spend the necessary grit points. Once done the fighter regains the actions of his turn, except his swift action is expended.
If the condition was from a spell, the spell is ended for the fighter. If the condition was from the use of a skill, deed, feat, or other natural means it is instead ignored for 1 +1d6 rounds. If the effect can be cured, stopped, or negated, it can still be cured, stopped, or negated during the rounds the effect is ignored.

So this is my Iron Heart Surge. It’s well known that HIS is broken, but the concept is too cool not to take and try and fix. A lot of folk have tried, and I do not think my version is better than others. In fact I’m almost entirely positive that I’m missing something, or it’ll work in a strange way that I didn’t anticipate. So, Playground, any comment on this one?

Oh as an aside, I specifically made it more powerful when used against magic. Largely for fluff reasons, I feel breaking a spell is something that a fighter should do, however, if someone is physically sick or bleeding the best that can be done is ignoring it for awhile.
Well, the first thing that springs to mind is that unconscious people don't have swift actions to spend as far as I know. Dazed/nauseated/stunned people definitely don't. Confused may not depending on rolls/situation. So you've inherited a problem with IHS there. Maybe you could commit your next action of some type instead?
I'd make this at least a move action BTW.
If the effect runs out of duration while ignored, I think your text means it's gone but I'm not certain. I have no idea about poisons and secondary damage saves which come up while ignored.
What about effects which do not fall into these categories - monster SLAs and Supernatural abilities stand out.
Classic effect yes, but writing it well is a bitch and a half.

ADVANCED DEEDS LIST
No obvious typos, they look cool, and I have no experience playing in this level range to say whether something is weak or overpowered. Well, Comet Fall probably sucks, but beyond that.

Edit: I tell a lie. One thing that does need clarification is (Improved) Volley - how much ammo does it use. This matters when arrows of slaying etc are involved. & Giant Slayer should probably say at least the size of the target in case you're up against a small enemy.

Since I want this fighter to be able to act as a mounted knight as well as any other type of warrior, I was hoping you guys could maybe through out a few ideas on mounted combat if you had any interesting thoughts.
The main concerns with a mounted character are keeping the mount alive - note that fighters don't get an animal companion or similar, so it's base HD only - doing enough damage or other effects on a charge to make setting it up worthwhile, and bringing the mount with you to odd places.

Deeds to stop the mount being easily roasted alive by fireballs (akin to the Mounted Combat feat maybe) would be useful, and maybe deeds like Terrifying Charge (gives save or be shaken to target + adjacent enemies), Staggering Charge (probably target only), etc. Bringing the mount with you is a job for magic in all probability.