PDA

View Full Version : Uber charger explaination.

sideswipe
2014-01-07, 03:36 PM
I know some of the basics of creating an uber charger.
like shock trooper feat. level of totem lion barbarian.
but what build of feat combinations, class combinations, specific weapons, items and if there is a particular race which makes it better, comes together to create an uber charger.

Calculations and reasons would be helpful, not just "take X = win".

Thank you in advance.

OldTrees1
2014-01-07, 04:51 PM
Dragonborn Water Orc Barbarian (Spirit Lion, Whirling Frenzy) 1 / Fighter 1 / Warblade 4 / Fighter 1

Abilities (28 point by): Str 22, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 08, Wis 08, Cha 08

Feats:
1) Extra Rage(HD feat)
2) Power Attack(Fighter bonus feat)
3) Improved Bullrush(HD feat)
6) Leap Attack(HD feat)
7) Shock Trooper(Fighter bonus feat),

Manuevers:
White Raven Tactics OR Iron Heart Surge, Sudden Leap, others
Stances:
Leaping Dragon stance, other

Weapon: +1 Halberd (piercing damage needed for Dive Attack)

Your optimal charge will be a 40ft long jump (DC 40). This triggers both Leap Attack and Dive Attack(you have EX Flight).
Jump: 1d20 +10(ranks), +10(racial), +10(stance), +Str, - ACP
You will be taking a full -7 penalty from Power Attack but it will be to your AC via Shock Trooper.

Enter Whirling Frenzy (26 Str, extra attack, -2 Attack, +2 AC, +2 Ref)
Charge: -2 AC, +2 Attack
Power Attack: -7 penalty, +7 damage
Shock Trooper: PA penalty to AC instead of Attack
Two Handed Weapon: +100%PA
Leap Attack: Jump check 1d20+38-ACP (DC 10 for +100%PA, DC 40 for Dive Attack)
Dive Attack: x2 damage with Piercing weapon
Pounce: Full Attack

If DC 40 is not reached:
-7AC
+16/+16/+11 melee 1d10 +1 magic +12 Str +21 PA (20/x3)
If DC 40 reached:
-7AC
+16/+16/+11 melee 2d10 +2 magic +24 Str +42 PA (20/x3)

sideswipe
2014-01-07, 05:05 PM
ok. this makes a lot more sense now..... looks like i'm going to have to learn tome of battle after all.....

Thank you.
i'm guessing feats like powerful charge and things like that are not considered worthy.

OldTrees1
2014-01-07, 05:13 PM
ok. this makes a lot more sense now..... looks like i'm going to have to learn tome of battle after all.....

Thank you.
i'm guessing feats like powerful charge and things like that are not considered worthy.

ToB was only used to increase the Jump check to the point that my Race choice (Dragonborn) could use its Dive Attack ability every round. It also gives you options to use your swift action per turn.

Powerful Charge is very weak. In the build above the Leap Attack feat adds 14 damage per attack and it is on the chopping block.

Sidenote: I prefer non Ubercharging Pounce chargers(aka no Shock Trooper & minimal PA penalty). They get more interesting abilities despite not dealing OTK levels of damage.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-07, 05:32 PM
My own benchmark level 6 ubercharger:

Frostblood Orc, Whirling Frenzy Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Ranger 3/Fighter 2
1. Barbarian1- Power Attack, Endurance
2. Ranger1- Track
3. Ranger2- Two-Weapon Fighting, Extra Rage
4. Ranger3- Headlong Rush
5. Fighter1- Improved Bull Rush
6. Fighter2- Shock Trooper, Leap Attack

So, let's say we're totally naked, with an 18 base Strength to start and a nonmagical masterwork greatsword. On a charge at level 6, we've got three attacks with an attack bonus of +15/+15/+9, when the average AC for your ECL range is 18.88, meaning that you're almost sure to land at least two out of three attacks.

For damage, we've got...

2d6 + 12 (str) + 12 (power attack) + 6 (Leap Attack giving +100% of your PA bonus - some argue that this should be 12, but we're going conservative), for 2d6+30 per swing. Not bad for level six, but not great... except that Headlong Rush means that it's all doubled. That means each attack is doing at minimum 64 points of damage, and with three attacks total on the end of a charge, the LEAST amount of damage you're doing is 192, or 204 against a favored enemy. At level 6, without a single item except for a nonmagical greatsword. (Average damage is actually 218, or 230 versus a favored enemy.)

Add in even remotely level-appropriate items - nothing crazy, maybe a +1 greatsword, something to boost your strength up by a couple of points, perhaps a weapon crystal for a bonus damage here or there, and you're easily over 300.

Again, that's over 300 points of damage. At level 6. Without using any ToB, any Battle Jump silliness, or really any cheese - just a bunch of fairly straightforward abilities exactly as they were intended.

SowZ
2014-01-07, 05:41 PM
The best ubercharger is a Paladin. You can lance for 50k damage by level 12.

sideswipe
2014-01-07, 05:56 PM
The best ubercharger is a Paladin. You can lance for 50k damage by level 12.

not helpful. and not real if you cant explain why. and if you are optimising that is a pitiful amount of damage if your using real cheese.

SowZ
2014-01-07, 06:19 PM
not helpful. and not real if you cant explain why. and if you are optimising that is a pitiful amount of damage if your using real cheese.

50k isn't pitiful below 18th level or so if you are just using a single class out of the box with no loops. Anyway, reason being Orc Charging Smite Paladin has the most 'double damage' abilities. Not to mention the most stackable buffs to pimp out that Strength score with ease and a bunch of other buffs, (including pounce.)

There are the standard Battlejump and Valorous Weapon and Headlong Rush and Spirited Charge+Lance options the Paladin has access to. Paladin also gets Rhino's Rush. At higher levels, they get another x2 damage, (albeit situationally,) in Lawful Sword. I think there is one other Paladin double damage ability out there but I forgot so maybe not. And you get 3xlevel Smite on top of all that to really crank out the damage.

By level 20 you should be doing hundreds of damage with no loops or tricks requiring items or any multi-classing. Just good old fashioned Paladin Ubercharging. Most tricks a fighter can pull off with Ubercharger, a Paladin can add to his build, too.

Any reason you are being rude?

eggynack
2014-01-07, 06:26 PM
I'd add a second level of barbarian for wolf totem purposes. Picking up cheap improved trip is a nice addition to any melee build, and accommodating that build choice by using a guisarme over a greatsword isn't the biggest loss.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-07, 06:27 PM
Human, Cloistered Cleric 1/ Fighter 1/ Paladin 18, in that order.
Inquisition domain, Knowledge Devotion, Law Devotion
Divine Counterspell ACF and Charging Smite ACF for Paladin.
Power Attack (1), Improved Bull Rush (1), EWP: Ritiik (F1), Practiced Spellcaster (3), Leap Attack (6), Shock Trooper (9), Divine Defiance (12), Extra Smiting or Extra Turning or Divine Might (15, 18)

Get a +1 Valorous Ritiik with a Wand Chamber and a Wand of Rhino's Rush. Get 1st level Pearls of Power and prepare Rhino's Rush in all your 1st level Paladin spell slots. Wear Armbands of Might with an Enhancement bonus to Strength added (MIC p234).

Damage at level 9 with Str 18 and Cha 14:
Cast Rhino's Rush (double damage), Charge, Power Attack and Leap Attack and Shock Trooper for -8 (+36 with armbands), with the +1 Valorous Ritiik (double damage), activate Charging Smite (+Cha to hit, +21 damage):
+17 melee, 3d10+192, opponent makes a reflex save DC 10 + damage dealt or gets hooked, you then pull the Ritiik out of a hooked opponent (no action required) and deal damage equal to the initial hit that hooked them. That's an average of 417 damage on a single attack roll without a critical hit.

Irk
2014-01-07, 06:33 PM
Any reason you are being rude?

Just a guess, but I would assume that sideswipe thought you meant 50 damage, not 50k, and they previously expressed frustration at being presented with unexplained concepts in the past, but I can understand your vexation as well.

sideswipe
2014-01-07, 06:38 PM
Just a guess, but I would assume that sideswipe thought you meant 50 damage, not 50k, and they previously expressed frustration at being presented with unexplained concepts in the past, but I can understand your vexation as well.

yes. i appologise

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-07, 07:18 PM
50k isn't pitiful below 18th level or so if you are just using a single class out of the box with no loops. Anyway, reason being Orc Charging Smite Paladin has the most 'double damage' abilities. Not to mention the most stackable buffs to pimp out that Strength score with ease and a bunch of other buffs, (including pounce.)

It may not be pitiful, and it's interesting as a thought experiment, but I do think it's overkill. Once you hit about the 1,000 mark, you can pretty much stop - you one shot everything in the Monster Manual and most of the Epic Level Handbook in a single blow by an extraordinarily comfortable margin. Any resources you spend beyond that end up just being wasted for the most part. This is especially true for chargers, IMO, because charging is so easy to keep stacking on the pain, but also so incredibly easy to foil. If you devote all 20 levels to charging, you can end up doing damage that needs to use scientific notation to properly express - but the guy who stopped at 1,000 damage twelve levels earlier and went on to learn new things is still killing them just as dead, and is probably a lot more versatile to boot.

Vhaidara
2014-01-07, 11:25 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321852)is my ubercharger. I could have optimized it more (half Minotaur Half Ogre on a Goliath base, then given it Feral instead of Mineral Warrior), and I was using a subpar ubercharger tactic (Blood Spiked Charger) but as it stands it is able to deal around 200 damage at level 10. And the next level it gets it barbarian for spirit lion totem and pounce, giving it an extra 2 attacks on the charge and bringing it to around 400 damage. Full damage calculations are in the thread.

Eldariel
2014-01-07, 11:45 PM
Well, I tossed a Cleric Charger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314454) together at some point to see how the numbers fall. Without Consumptive Field it barely manages to one-shot a Hecatoncheires on level 11. With Consumptive Field you'd of course get near-infinite damage. And there's always the option of going Mounted (you can use magic to generate steeds at will) and tripling your damage, though that's usually unnecessary and quite frankly boring.