PDA

View Full Version : reverse gravity

j_spencer93
2014-01-07, 05:03 PM
Read into a problem with a Glabrezu's reverse gravity when used in the wide open, how high do the targets rise?

Flickerdart
2014-01-07, 05:05 PM
Read into a problem with a Glabrezu's reverse gravity when used in the wide open, how high do the targets rise?
The effects of reverse gravity only function within the area of the spell. At CL14, the glabrezu could create seven 10ft cubes, meaning that the highest it could lift someone would be 70 feet.

j_spencer93
2014-01-07, 05:06 PM
ok me and a player were just talking about that, so does it effect 70ft and everything in that 70ft rise to 70ft height?

j_spencer93
2014-01-07, 05:11 PM
or does the area describes the maximum amount of area affected by the spell, so i could make a 10ft area rise 70ft, or a 20ft area rise 35 ft?

eggynack
2014-01-07, 05:12 PM
ok me and a player were just talking about that, so does it effect 70ft and everything in that 70ft rise to 70ft height?
No, or perhaps, depending on what you mean by that. The glabrezu creates seven 10 ft. cubes, and everyone within those cubes rises until they're at the top of the region of the spell. That could mean a large quantity of people rising 10 ft., or it could mean a few people rising 70 ft. It's up to the glabrezu how high people rise, and what the area is that rises to that height. The spell is rather customizable in that fashion.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-01-07, 06:08 PM
The creatures in the spell's area rise to the top of the spell effect (since up is down for them) and would just...float there. If they can fly, they can avoid being stuck there, and if there's something to grab onto to pull along, they can also escape.

For these reasons, the most effective (and...only real) use of Reverse Gravity is to intentionally not fill the room all the way to the ceiling. So the victims CAN'T pull their way out along the ceiling. Otherwise, it's not hard at all to escape and a giant waste of such a high level spell.

Randomocity132
2014-01-07, 06:22 PM
make a 10ft area rise 70ft, or a 20ft area rise 35 ft?

Pretty much this. Take seven 10 foot squares and stack them like building blocks however you like.

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-07, 06:23 PM
I usually use it after dropping something on the targets. Reverse gravity on them and the fallen objects, now they fall up and hit the ceiling. Dismiss before they can pull themselves along the ceiling.

It combines well with tree tokens (provided the DM sees that rooted trees don't remain so when inverted).:smallsmile:

StreamOfTheSky
2014-01-07, 06:52 PM
I usually use it after dropping something on the targets. Reverse gravity on them and the fallen objects, now they fall up and hit the ceiling. Dismiss before they can pull themselves along the ceiling.

It combines well with tree tokens (provided the DM sees that rooted trees don't remain so when inverted).:smallsmile:

My favorite combo was when the cleric and wizard in the party dual-tech'd it. Wizard used Reverse Gravity to block off the hall we went down as dozens of foes chased after, and Cleric put a Blade Barrier at the top of the spell effect...

It only killed a few before they decided to stop pursuing, but man the psychological horror...

Chronos
2014-01-07, 10:30 PM
Quoth StreamOfTheSky:

For these reasons, the most effective (and...only real) use of Reverse Gravity...
If that's the only use of Reverse Gravity you can think of, you're not thinking hard enough. Yes, it can be used in combat as a battlefield control spell... But it can also be used to make floating fortresses, or automatic siege weaponry, or perpetual-motion machines.

Dalebert
2014-01-07, 10:49 PM
or does the area describes the maximum amount of area affected by the spell, so i could make a 10ft area rise 70ft, or a 20ft area rise 35 ft?

Those aren't the same volume. 20ft area and 35 ft high is twice as much volume as 10 ft area and 70 ft high.

10 x 10 x 70 = 7000

20 x 20 x 35 = 14000

j_spencer93
2014-01-07, 11:16 PM
lol ok thanks i understand it