PDA

View Full Version : Least I coulddo - I knew it

kladams707
2014-01-07, 05:45 PM
Warning for foul language.

http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20140107/

Domochevsky
2014-01-07, 05:56 PM
As used by anyone trying to read that ..."work" of a comic as a whole, hm? :smallsigh:

t209
2014-01-08, 03:01 AM
Even though this a terrible comic.
But I can't hold my urges longer due to Frozen reference.
Donít make more puns, donít make follow ups.
Be the good user you always have to be
Conceal, donít feel, donít let them know
Well now they know.
Let it go! Let it go!

T-O-E
2014-01-08, 06:34 AM
I'm just waiting for Sohmer's Kickstarter to end climate change.

tavo2
2014-01-08, 12:37 PM
I'm just waiting for Sohmer's Kickstarter to end climate change.

Just surprised that he has not anounced a new kickstarter it has been a month since the last one

Trazoi
2014-01-08, 04:01 PM
Just surprised that he has not anounced a new kickstarter it has been a month since the last one
He went to Patreon instead, asking for monthly donations for a new webcomic about kindergartener Hitler.

tavo2
2014-01-08, 04:11 PM
He went to Patreon instead, asking for monthly donations for a new webcomic about kindergartener Hitler.

Omg..... If I remember well years ago he critized webcomic cartoonists
Because they put paypal buttons on their sites,
I cant blame him, who does not like money

Mewtarthio
2014-01-08, 05:52 PM
Ha! It's funny because the power to summon snowstorms could have severe unintended consequences, which is something that isn't brought up in the movie at all, much less used as a serious theme and the primary source of conflict in it! :smallbiggrin:

Reverent-One
2014-01-08, 05:52 PM

To be fair, regardless of what one thinks of his stance on donation buttons on web sites, there is something of an ideological difference between doing something for free and then asking for donations and doing something only if people pay you to do it.

Vinyadan
2014-01-08, 06:02 PM
Warning for foul language.

It's Sohmer. More like fowl language.

I used to wish Sohmer would only write strips with baby protagonists, because the Sunday strips of LICD are much better than anything else I ever read of him, and even the recent strips in LFG with baby Gid are really better than the standard LFG page.

The I read what was published on the net of the Bear, and I found it quite bad - mainly because of his habit of breaking lines in such an improvised way, that I expected them to form a verse and look for a rhythm or at least some logic meaning, which of course wasn't there.

And finally I saw his idea for Zufruh, and slowly backed away.

T-O-E
2014-01-08, 07:09 PM
And finally I saw his idea for Zufruh, and slowly backed away.

But it's so edgy.

t209
2014-01-09, 01:40 AM
http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20140109/
One thing I hate about Narnia is that heroes kinda suck at tactics.
- No, you use cavalry for flank, don't charge them forward.
- Have you kids heard of Chokepoint? Even a viking use it enough to distract that Anglo-Saxon big boss to rally against that Frenchie from Normandy.
- Why didn't you let go of you vengeance to smash to siege engines?

Vinyadan
2014-01-09, 10:03 AM
But it's so edgy.

Just like Jack! (both of them).

Darius123
2014-01-09, 10:07 AM

Well, if we're talking about hilariously hypocritical statements Ryan Sohmer has made, this one's been making the rounds recently:

Thereís much talk in the [comics] industry of late about sexual harassment, inappropriate behavior and general gender issues. While I donít think the comics business in any way has a monopoly on these, I am pleased to see that weíre talking about it, recognizing it.

Discussion is always the first step to change.

Vinyadan
2014-01-09, 12:34 PM
By the way, there really is a comic called Fowl Language. It's quite new and I think it has a nice humor.

http://www.fowllanguagecomics.com/comic/morning-regrets/

t209
2014-01-09, 04:02 PM
Well, if we're talking about hilariously hypocritical statements Ryan Sohmer has made, this one's been making the rounds recently:"Thereís much talk in the [comics] industry of late about sexual harassment, inappropriate behavior and general gender issues. While I donít think the comics business in any way has a monopoly on these, I am pleased to see that weíre talking about it, recognizing it.
Discussion is always the first step to change."
Now Ryan's more like self serving hypocritical jerkhole version of Grant Morrison, or Spider Jerusalem (bald part's the common).
Not to mention that he made immature campaign on Deadpool and the way he mocked Grant Morrison on Gutters (Yes, he may be a nutcase but I kinda like his works).

super dark33
2014-01-12, 07:41 AM
By the way, there really is a comic called Fowl Language. It's quite new and I think it has a nice humor.

http://www.fowllanguagecomics.com/comic/morning-regrets/

That I a really nice webcomic and should be red by more people.

T-O-E
2014-01-12, 01:53 PM
Well, if we're talking about hilariously hypocritical statements Ryan Sohmer has made, this one's been making the rounds recently:

My God. I hope I'm not this self-unaware.

Vinyadan
2014-01-12, 02:45 PM
My God. I hope I'm not this self-unaware.

He is not unaware - he's risen above self-judgement. :smallbiggrin:

Rosstin
2014-01-16, 07:37 PM
He is not unaware - he's risen above self-judgement. :smallbiggrin:

OMG hilarious!

Traab
2014-01-18, 10:32 AM
Back to the comic itself, its arcs like this one that remind me why that company puts up with him. Dude is a natural born salesman. I dont even know what he is planning and I already want to support it. Yes its Gary stuish and all that, but give him credit, when he creates a proposal, he generally does a damn fine job. Plus he has his own drone now. Might not want to tick him off. :p

Darius123
2014-01-18, 02:36 PM
Back to the comic itself, its arcs like this one that remind me why that company puts up with him. Dude is a natural born salesman. I dont even know what he is planning and I already want to support it. Yes its Gary stuish and all that, but give him credit, when he creates a proposal, he generally does a damn fine job. Plus he has his own drone now. Might not want to tick him off. :p

From what I've read so far, Rayne's idea sounds ridiculous and completely unworkable, and the only reason he hasn't been laughed out of the room is because of the Gary Stu effect you mentioned.

Edit: For instance, in today's comic, someone asks the obvious question, "where are you getting any operating money?", and Rayne does not actually provide an answer to the question. Presentation failed right there.

Vinyadan
2014-01-18, 04:03 PM
So, here's my capitalist wannabe's opinion.

No profit organizations can be flourishing and pay a LOT their employees, as well as get really big over time. A good example is Goethe Institut. They are the best in what they do (teaching German) and ask for a LOT of money for it.

On the other side, you need to have a need to fulfill. In GI's case, people need to learn Germany, for a variety of more or less practical reasons. Often it's the work which requires it; people have no choice but to learn the language, and so they turn to the best (if they have the money for it, or if their employer pays for it). The second fact is that Germany needs GI to teach German, and therefore gives it a lot of money, knowing that it will come back later under various forms.
In the news sector, it's trickier. People don't really need to hear the news. You have to entice them. That's what causes the existence of trash journals and fans instead of listeners. And those who need people to listen to the news (as Germany needs people to learn Germany) are those who want to advertise themselves or a product, and therefore have no interest in giving unbiased information - to the contrary, they need a way to manipulate opinions.
So, either Rayne has found a target demographic which desperately needs unaligned information, or his idea isn't going to work.

Darius123
2014-01-18, 04:19 PM
To be fair, there do exist non-profit media organizations with the express intent of providing unbaised information to the general public - NPR being perhaps the most prominent example - which are usually funded via individual/corporate donations and, to a lesser extent, government funding. (Of course, this makes Ryan's/Rayne's inability to provide a coherent answer to the funding question all the more damning, but I digress.)

The truly unworkable part of his proposal is the part about journalists' salaries being based on things like "journalistic integrity, reader/viewer comprehension, and bias". How does one accurately measure and quantify any of these metrics? Ryan/Rayne doesn't say.

t209
2014-01-18, 05:03 PM
And it's kinda unfair to use Scrooge McDuck in the comic. Yes, he maybe mean but he's more moral than his Rivals and actually do not want his family to become lazy heirs.
edit: I wonder why my brother read it despite being more mature and smarter than me.

tavo2
2014-01-18, 08:31 PM
Remember this from the guy that Saved his former newspaper boss, Moving the newspaper to digital and give each subscriptor a free tablet,
Using the gillette business plan (Giving for free the safety razor selling the blades) but a tablet is really expensive and its not like you replace every two weeks your news Subscription,
I dont know how that idiot plan was a success

In my country the news provider is the devil itself its used to manipulate the public

Traab
2014-01-18, 08:52 PM
So, here's my capitalist wannabe's opinion.

No profit organizations can be flourishing and pay a LOT their employees, as well as get really big over time. A good example is Goethe Institut. They are the best in what they do (teaching German) and ask for a LOT of money for it.

On the other side, you need to have a need to fulfill. In GI's case, people need to learn Germany, for a variety of more or less practical reasons. Often it's the work which requires it; people have no choice but to learn the language, and so they turn to the best (if they have the money for it, or if their employer pays for it). The second fact is that Germany needs GI to teach German, and therefore gives it a lot of money, knowing that it will come back later under various forms.
In the news sector, it's trickier. People don't really need to hear the news. You have to entice them. That's what causes the existence of trash journals and fans instead of listeners. And those who need people to listen to the news (as Germany needs people to learn Germany) are those who want to advertise themselves or a product, and therefore have no interest in giving unbiased information - to the contrary, they need a way to manipulate opinions.
So, either Rayne has found a target demographic which desperately needs unaligned information, or his idea isn't going to work.

Speaking just for me. If I heard scuttlebutt about a news station that was showing itself to not lean left right or any other direction, but did nothing except for reporting the verifiable facts and ALL of the verifiable facts, that would really peak my interest. As it stands right now, I have to read news from several sources that have different slants then ferret out the common info and discard the rest to find out more or less what is going on in any given scenario.

Reverent-One
2014-01-18, 08:57 PM
Edit: For instance, in today's comic, someone asks the obvious question, "where are you getting any operating money?", and Rayne does not actually provide an answer to the question. Presentation failed right there.

From the companies that want to make a profit, which would come using the performance based metrics.

tavo2
2014-01-18, 09:17 PM
From the companies that want to make a profit, which would come using the performance based metrics.

How does that work?

Reverent-One
2014-01-18, 09:26 PM
How does that work?

Some system of awarding money based on how well the companies informs the public.

Trazoi
2014-01-18, 09:37 PM
Some system of awarding money based on how well the companies informs the public.
How does that work?

Seriously though, that's the question that needs answering. Where is this money coming from, and who is doing the deciding about all these metrics? Without an attempt to provide this, this whole sequence is pointless.

Reverent-One
2014-01-18, 09:50 PM
How does that work?

Seriously though, that's the question that needs answering. Where is this money coming from, and who is doing the deciding about all these metrics? Without an attempt to provide this, this whole sequence is pointless.

If Sohmer thinks he's got an interesting story/jokes to tell based on the concept, then the details are unnecessary. Either it works in LICD-world or it doesn't, either way it's just a conceit for the reader to accept. Much like a lot of fictional businesses (see also, how does Micheal Scott from the Office still have a job? How is Dilberts company still in business?). If he's writing this as a serious argument for people in the real world doing things this way, then yes, he does need to provide details, but given that he's putting forward this idea in a free webcomic rather than implementing or selling the idea himself, I'm willing to bet he's quite aware that it's not actually practical.

tavo2
2014-01-18, 09:51 PM
eh?
Where does that money comes from?

beg for money?
investments?(why would someone will invest in something that will not give profits in return)
more taxes?

how can you do a performance metric?

anyway I thought that news outlets were used to manipulate public opinion,
using misleading news against people or organizations and helptheir political agenda,
and dont forget when they stole charity money to use to not pay taxes
(arg that one happened in my country dont listen to me)

anyway the sommer company seems that profits on whatever Summers is angry in that week whataver its needed or not

tavo2
2014-01-18, 09:52 PM
If Sohmer thinks he's got an interesting story/jokes to tell based on the concept, then the details are unnecessary. Either it works in LICD-world or it doesn't, either way it's just a conceit for the reader to accept. Much like a lot of fictional businesses (see also, how does Micheal Scott from the Office still have a job? How is Dilberts company still in business?). If he's writing this as a serious argument for people in the real world doing things this way, then yes, he does need to provide details, but given that he's putting forward this idea in a free webcomic rather than implementing or selling the idea himself, I'm willing to bet he's quite aware that it's not actually practical.

ahhhhhhh sorry I was overthinking again my apologies,
probably sohmer answer to it will be kickstarter,
kicktstarter solves everything

Trazoi
2014-01-18, 09:57 PM
If Sohmer thinks he's got an interesting story/jokes to tell based on the concept, then the details are unnecessary.
That's part of what I meant by an attempt to provide answers. I could see the point of this if it's the setup for an arc where Rayne attempt to run a news source and hilariously fails, but from what I've seen so far it it looks like it's being played straight and we're meant to think Rayne has some answers here.

Reverent-One
2014-01-18, 10:08 PM
That's part of what I meant by an attempt to provide answers. I could see the point of this if it's the setup for an arc where Rayne attempt to run a news source and hilariously fails, but from what I've seen so far it it looks like it's being played straight and we're meant to think Rayne has some answers here.

And maybe for LICD-verse he does. Unless Sohmer makes the strips all about dealing with the ins-and-outs of the business though, it'll be something that's merely mentioned and maybe spins off a related joke or plot thread, nothing that requires much detail of how the system works.

Trazoi
2014-01-18, 10:18 PM
Then we're back to "why have this last week of strips". Why not just have Rayne say "I think it would be fun to run a newspaper" and just jump right into it?

Edit: Mostly I'm getting a soapbox vibe from this like that sequence where Rayne gave a TED talk. I think what Sohmer is going for it trying to start a discussion about how news should be run, but I think there are better ways to do it than this. "I think the news should be informative and impartial" is something everyone would support in theory, but getting that to work given everyone's different opinions and biases is the entirety of the problem.

Reverent-One
2014-01-18, 10:40 PM
Oh, I definitely agree this is Sohmer being soapboxy about the problems with the news. But that would still count as interesting for him to write about and he's had some jokes, so it has as much point as most of his week long arcs.

t209
2014-01-18, 10:42 PM
After seeing you guys make a point on Rayne/Ryan's flaw, I finally knew why he deleted that comment button. That vain bastard want everything for himself. I wonder how his kid will turn out.

Vinyadan
2014-01-19, 06:25 AM

Well, in Dilbert there is a single department which still makes money. Its CEO presents himself dressed with a crown and bearing a sceptre, and demands an attendance fee whenever he has to come in contact with other CEOs. :smallsmile:

probably sohmer answer to it will be kickstarter,
kicktstarter solves everything

That's so painfully true, if it were to happen, it would look somewhere between self-deification and a parody of himself.

Traab
2014-01-19, 11:53 AM
Well, in Dilbert there is a single department which still makes money. Its CEO presents himself dressed with a crown and bearing a sceptre, and demands an attendance fee whenever he has to come in contact with other CEOs. :smallsmile:

That's so painfully true, if it were to happen, it would look somewhere between self-deification and a parody of himself.

Dilberts company has been sold to a dog at least a dozen times, bought out by the elbonians a half dozen times, been corporate raided and sold off for spare parts, including the hearts and souls of the employees, oh yeah, and been sold off to aliens who think soylent green should be a program on the food network. Reverent has a point. it really doesnt pay to look too deeply into justifying why this plan works. All we need at best is a fridge logic level of justification then we can move on.

*EDIT* Something else that struck me as interesting. You know how the big push lately has been towards 24/7 news? Instead of going in that direction and turning everything into a major event, the dead times can be filled by analysts breaking down what the news reports mean. As an example, lets say the president authorizes a 90% tax cut for everyone in a specific bracket. Obviously that is news. But the thing is, the average person has no idea what that means, how that could help, or how it could hurt. They just see "tax breaks for this group only" and then proceed to react according to what their party line news groups says about it.

By informing readers/watchers of all the positive and negative nuances of the move, they become more intelligently informed and those empty time slots get filled by something other than somebody constantly reading the same info off a teleprompter loop for an hour until an extra 30 seconds of info gets made available. Hard part about that is avoiding slant on informing viewers of what these moves mean. But by trying to cover both sides of possible consequences, it should be possible.

Darius123
2014-01-19, 12:20 PM
*EDIT* Something else that struck me as interesting. You know how the big push lately has been towards 24/7 news? Instead of going in that direction and turning everything into a major event, the dead times can be filled by analysts breaking down what the news reports mean. As an example, lets say the president authorizes a 90% tax cut for everyone in a specific bracket. Obviously that is news. But the thing is, the average person has no idea what that means, how that could help, or how it could hurt. They just see "tax breaks for this group only" and then proceed to react according to what their party line news groups says about it.

By informing readers/watchers of all the positive and negative nuances of the move, they become more intelligently informed and those empty time slots get filled by something other than somebody constantly reading the same info off a teleprompter loop for an hour until an extra 30 seconds of info gets made available. Hard part about that is avoiding slant on informing viewers of what these moves mean. But by trying to cover both sides of possible consequences, it should be possible.

Lots of news organizations already provide policy analysis on a regular basis. But, as you pointed out, there's no guarantee that the analysis itself is accurate or free from bias.

Traab
2014-01-19, 04:36 PM
Lots of news organizations already provide policy analysis on a regular basis. But, as you pointed out, there's no guarantee that the analysis itself is accurate or free from bias.

Exactly, they break down the story and explain it right along their own personal slant. But since this mythical news group is all about "just the facts, maam." it would be useful to have it done properly. If done right, it could almost work as an impromptu class in economics, foreign and domestic policy, world history, etc etc etc. And because its all about the stuff being proposed now, it has the relevance to keep people more interested than usual.

Lord Raziere
2014-01-19, 04:58 PM
Exactly, they break down the story and explain it right along their own personal slant. But since this mythical news group is all about "just the facts, maam." it would be useful to have it done properly. If done right, it could almost work as an impromptu class in economics, foreign and domestic policy, world history, etc etc etc. And because its all about the stuff being proposed now, it has the relevance to keep people more interested than usual.

yea, thats not gonna happen.

1. 24/7 news has been around for decades, CNN did it first, in 1976 actually

2. its actually more profitable for them to present things from a biased viewpoint, since media doesn't actually changes anyone's opinion, it just reinforces already pre-existing viewpoints and agenda sets what people talk about. the ones who watch news the most are the ones the least persuaded by it. the ones who watch it the most are the experts most people turn to when dealing with issues like this and take their advice.

3. in fact the push for media nowadays to go more towards media filtering and personalization, so that only the topics that are immediately relevant to your desires are shown to you while everything else is slowly filtered out. its only starting and only on the internet right now, but if you think they're going to limit personalization to one place when corporations can find a way to do it everywhere, then you've got another thing coming.

4. that and there is a push from the other side of media, to more towards sensationalized stories to catch peoples attention in the first place, and there is a growing trend where younger people are starting to use facebook as their source of news. which doesn't even have the quality control of the news anchors and reporters, who while slanted, still provide some form of discussion about it and keep things at a certain quality.

it would be nice if we could have something like that....but the way media is going? not a chance. sorry mate :smallfrown:

Traab
2014-01-19, 05:28 PM
yea, thats not gonna happen.

1. 24/7 news has been around for decades, CNN did it first, in 1976 actually

2. its actually more profitable for them to present things from a biased viewpoint, since media doesn't actually changes anyone's opinion, it just reinforces already pre-existing viewpoints and agenda sets what people talk about. the ones who watch news the most are the ones the least persuaded by it. the ones who watch it the most are the experts most people turn to when dealing with issues like this and take their advice.

3. in fact the push for media nowadays to go more towards media filtering and personalization, so that only the topics that are immediately relevant to your desires are shown to you while everything else is slowly filtered out. its only starting and only on the internet right now, but if you think they're going to limit personalization to one place when corporations can find a way to do it everywhere, then you've got another thing coming.

4. that and there is a push from the other side of media, to more towards sensationalized stories to catch peoples attention in the first place, and there is a growing trend where younger people are starting to use facebook as their source of news. which doesn't even have the quality control of the news anchors and reporters, who while slanted, still provide some form of discussion about it and keep things at a certain quality.

it would be nice if we could have something like that....but the way media is going? not a chance. sorry mate :smallfrown:

Yeah, I know, thats why I said mythical. If it COULD happen i might actually want to watch the news again. As it is my main news source is yahoo, and thats because I enjoy verbally slapping people too stupid to understand that they cant talk and drink water at the same time in the comments section. Because lord knows, you cant get anything but the objective facts from a guy with a screen name like, "REPUKLATARDSMUSTDIE" or "DEATHTODEMONCRATS"

Vinyadan
2014-01-19, 05:35 PM
since media doesn't actually changes anyone's opinion, it just reinforces already pre-existing viewpoints and agenda sets what people talk about. the ones who watch news the most are the ones the least persuaded by it. the ones who watch it the most are the experts most people turn to when dealing with issues like this and take their advice.

I don't agree about media not changing anyone's opinion, otherwise we wouldn't have such a developed advertisement industry. And we have had people in my country who were previously hailed as heroes and were then chewed up by the information industry and spat out as arrogant weirdos. Media do count, it's just that normally it is both the industry touching people and people touching industry - which is how any natural cultural structure is born, anyway.

Lord Raziere
2014-01-19, 05:50 PM
I don't agree about media not changing anyone's opinion, otherwise we wouldn't have such a developed advertisement industry. And we have had people in my country who were previously hailed as heroes and were then chewed up by the information industry and spat out as arrogant weirdos. Media do count, it's just that normally it is both the industry touching people and people touching industry - which is how any natural cultural structure is born, anyway.

nope, advertising doesn't change your opinion, it appeals to the lizard parts of your brain. advertising used to be purely informational, because we used to have an economy where we made everything ourselves on farms and such, so advertising basically consisted of advertising machines that allowed you to make said things. an advertisement for an ice-cream maker would be what it does, where its located, the price, just a list of facts, and nothing showy about it- they argued purely on logical grounds.

however now we have a consumer society with a lot of choices opened up, and the advertisements have gone from the highest form of argument, logic and facts, down to Ethos and Pathos arguments, or values and emotions. advertising isn't aimed at actually influencing your opinion thats too much higher thinking, they're aiming lower: for your lizard brain, the base instincts, to make you want to go out and buy it. thats literally how one of the more successful advertisers put it.

edit: let me clarify, I was talking about how media doesn't influence opinion directly, it can influence us, just indirectly often through agenda setting, which is kind of what commercials actually do: they make you pay attention to them, think about them, they don't actually persuade you to go out and actually get it, ads just open up discussion of whether or not to do so. sorry if I caused confusion.

tavo2
2014-01-20, 11:21 AM
I was joking when I said kickstarter would save the imaginary problem that rayne/ryan had with the news

Traab
2014-01-20, 11:59 AM
I dunno, I may have read ti wrong, but it sounds like they are going to take a local station, set it up with his plan, and see how it works. If it does well, they can use that to start working with real stations. This is less kickstarter, and more trial run.

tavo2
2014-01-20, 12:07 PM
I dunno, I may have read ti wrong, but it sounds like they are going to take a local station, set it up with his plan, and see how it works. If it does well, they can use that to start working with real stations. This is less kickstarter, and more trial run.

Yes, it Seems that rayne newspaper pal will come back
Use that newspAper to try/test aproach using kickstarter
Instead of adds for the money part

T-O-E
2014-01-25, 03:21 PM
Perfect example of Stockholm Syndrome in today's comic.

Trazoi
2014-01-25, 05:42 PM
Perfect example of Stockholm Syndrome in today's comic.
"Ha ha, your father was horribly murdered!"
"Hehehe, that's our Rayne!"
*cue whoops from the studio audience*

T-O-E
2014-01-25, 08:22 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if no one ever got offended.
"Ha ha, your father was horribly murdered!"
"Hehehe, that's our Rayne!"
*cue whoops from the studio audience*

The worst part is that this isn't even hyperbole.

Traab
2014-01-25, 08:29 PM
Actually, its been a very long time since I archive trawled (heaven forbid) but isnt it tubbo there that started the jokes about his dead dad, considering the sheer insanity of the situation?

Vinyadan
2014-01-26, 05:17 AM
Actually, its been a very long time since I archive trawled (heaven forbid) but isnt it tubbo there that started the jokes about his dead dad, considering the sheer insanity of the situation?

I think he said that Rayne joking about it helps him cope with it, but I don't know if he really was the one to start with it.

This is the thing I don't like. A comic just about daydreaming - how would it be, if everybody liked what I do and say, if I did not do mistakes, if I were always right, and if I were rich enough to do anything and no woman would be for me impossible to obtain - shouldn't be all this unlikable. There is something wrong somewhere; maybe it's the fact that, in this daydreaming, it goes more about debasing other people than really living life as in a dream.

Trazoi
2014-01-26, 05:36 PM
This is the thing I don't like. A comic just about daydreaming - how would it be, if everybody liked what I do and say, if I did not do mistakes, if I were always right, and if I were rich enough to do anything and no woman would be for me impossible to obtain - shouldn't be all this unlikable. There is something wrong somewhere; maybe it's the fact that, in this daydreaming, it goes more about debasing other people than really living life as in a dream.
Generally works based on Mary Sue wish-fulfilment daydreams tend to not go over well.

This comic though underlines that a lot of the problem with LICD is less to do with Rayne and more with how everyone else reacts to him. Lots of comedy is based around the lead characters being jerks but the writing has to recognise they're jerks. If you've got a character that's meant to be Rayne's foil or straight man laughing off his dead dad then it's less funny and more unsettling.

tavo2
2014-01-27, 12:37 AM
So Sohmer just abandoned the news storyarc to do a lecturing

Vinyadan
2014-01-27, 02:30 AM
He's doing a lot of lecturing - even the news arc began with a lecture about news and fans. I wonder if he takes this seriously, because serious lectures coming from a character such as Rayne may very well drop his big reader quote.

Traab
2014-01-27, 08:14 AM
He does this a lot. Takes a week at random to turn into a cartoon pundit over some issue or other. Then back to the regularly scheduled program. I think he saw one too many beiber got pulled over articles and decided to "do something" about it.

T-O-E
2014-01-27, 02:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5eeu33S.png (http://imgur.com/5eeu33S)There was a joke here somewhere but don't worry, I managed to kill it

-Because I was really bored.

EDIT: I just got it. LICD is phallogocentric. please kill me

t209
2014-01-30, 12:57 AM
http://i.imgur.com/5eeu33S.png (http://imgur.com/5eeu33S)There was a joke here somewhere but don't worry, I managed to kill it

-Because I was really bored.

EDIT: I just got it. LICD is phallogocentric. please kill me
Kinda Hypocritical, isn't it? Let's start with Rayne/ Ryan first as our part to improve the celebrity before he started making fun of People who wore glasses if you remember a certain dictator.

Vinyadan
2014-01-30, 03:19 PM
Well, the current streak is going exceptionally well. Rayne looks like someone else, and so does the comic: a goody two shoes who dispenses internet motivating material, with some not-too-forced attempt at being witty.

If it doesn't last absurdly long and gets boring, I'll say that Sohmer had a good idea, and that he's made the experience of going out from his usual routes of attempted caustic characters which are actually daft.

Let's see how it spins.

T-O-E
2014-01-30, 04:22 PM
Can't believe I'm being preached to by Least I Could goddamn Do.

Trazoi
2014-01-30, 05:40 PM
Well, the current streak is going exceptionally well. Rayne looks like someone else, and so does the comic: a goody two shoes who dispenses internet motivating material, with some not-too-forced attempt at being witty.
This is why this isn't working, because Rayne is completely the wrong sort of character to be delivering this sort of speech.

T-O-E
2014-01-31, 06:06 AM
The last panel is the most hypocritical thing. He must be doing this on purpose. Are there people who don't know about Malala? I thought this was supposed to be for obscure heroes.

Trazoi
2014-01-31, 06:36 AM
The last panel is the most hypocritical thing. He must be doing this on purpose. Are there people who don't know about Malala? I thought this was supposed to be for obscure heroes.
The third panel annoys me too, because it phrases it as not being about how the reader should admire Malala, it's about how the women in your life who follow the glossy magazines are vapid for not admiring Malala.

It turns the whole week on its head, and makes it less about educating us about unsung heroes and more about feeling superior.

Reverent-One
2014-01-31, 09:53 AM

That's a silly question. Of course there are. I mean, she doesn't even have a reality TV show.

The third panel annoys me too, because it phrases it as not being about how the reader should admire Malala, it's about how the women in your life who follow the glossy magazines are vapid for not admiring Malala.

How is saying "She's the one people should be admiring" not about how the reader should admire her?

Trazoi
2014-01-31, 04:29 PM
How is saying "She's the one people should be admiring" not about how the reader should admire her?
It's the phrasing. "She's the one people should be admiring" includes the reader, "she's the one your daughters and sisters should be admiring" does not.

But again, it also doesn't help that Rayne is really the worst sort of character to be giving this kind of talk.

Traab
2014-01-31, 05:25 PM
It's the phrasing. "She's the one people should be admiring" includes the reader, "she's the one your daughters and sisters should be admiring" does not.

But again, it also doesn't help that Rayne is really the worst sort of character to be giving this kind of talk.

But is he wrong? Isnt that the sort of young woman our sisters and daughters and whatever should admire instead of miss twerks-alot? I read the intent as more of a role model for women than a general role model, which is why i think he phrased it as he did. At worst he is guilty of assuming his readership is men. (It probably mostly is though)

Trazoi
2014-01-31, 06:32 PM
But is he wrong? Isnt that the sort of young woman our sisters and daughters and whatever should admire instead of miss twerks-alot? I read the intent as more of a role model for women than a general role model, which is why i think he phrased it as he did. At worst he is guilty of assuming his readership is men. (It probably mostly is though)
It's more discomfort in the way it's expressed less as a "we should admire her" and more of pointing an accusing finger with "they should admire her". And also the implication in there that it's a female only thing and men can't appreciate her for her work.

But again (again), it's also because this whole week feels so disingenuous when it's delivered from Rayne. That's really the big problem here, rather than one line.
edit: I should probably let this rest now; I've only been following LICD for this week because it seemed so bizarre.

The Succubus
2014-02-01, 04:53 AM
I've enjoyed this week. I got to learn about a whole bunch of folks doing really good things for others.

tavo2
2014-02-03, 11:18 AM
the idea was nice, but as much people said it was too much lecturing like shame on you, I think he missed the big picture how the media manipulates people to follow certain people (can you blame them after all miley cyrus is a product) on the other hand should we do order our children who to follow?

Guancyto
2014-02-03, 11:57 AM
Hrm.

So reading this at first, because Rayne Summers is a huge wish fulfillment/author insert character, I had assumed that it was just Ryan Sohmer directly addressing the comic's readers in an OOC little ditty that aimed to be heartwarming. Or inspiring. Or whatever. Doesn't matter. In this capacity it did not insult my intelligence.

Having paged back a bit, I find out that this is happening in-character, as the 'new face of news' or whatever it is.

The thing is the, uh, the news media already does this. Like, all the time. Maybe not as often as they should, but, congratulations Rayne, you have filled... *checks watch* maybe ten minutes of screen time and spent a quarter of that unambiguously insulting your viewer base.

The shallow celebrity news tends to be the time-filler that keeps you employed. I'm sure your advertisers will be thrilled at your new initiative.

Reverent-One
2014-02-03, 12:30 PM
Hrm.

So reading this at first, because Rayne Summers is a huge wish fulfillment/author insert character, I had assumed that it was just Ryan Sohmer directly addressing the comic's readers in an OOC little ditty that aimed to be heartwarming. Or inspiring. Or whatever. Doesn't matter. In this capacity it did not insult my intelligence.

Having paged back a bit, I find out that this is happening in-character, as the 'new face of news' or whatever it is.

Eh, not really. This is the typical "Rayne breaks the fourth wall" series of strips that he does from time to time. They haven't really gotten the news network off the ground yet.

Vinyadan
2014-02-03, 12:58 PM
on the other hand should we do order our children who to follow?

I won't talk about ordering, but I think it's a parent's duty to transmit his children the values he believes make life fulfilling and meaningful, and these values only exist because there are people who live (more or less consistently) them.

So, yes, but without giving "orders" - when you try to educate someone you need to be authoritative, and not authoritarian (I wonder if this play on words works in English) .

Guancyto
2014-02-03, 01:13 PM
Eh, not really. This is the typical "Rayne breaks the fourth wall" series of strips that he does from time to time. They haven't really gotten the news network off the ground yet.

Ah! That's just hilariously unfortunate timing, then.

Vinyadan
2014-02-04, 03:59 AM
Ah, if only today's comic had been meant to be read as auto-ironic!

Because, to me, this seems like some kind of weird Freudian self-reference.