PDA

View Full Version : Scrollmaster useless ability

DreganHiregard
2014-01-07, 08:23 PM
Hey all, I was just reading the scrollmaster Pathfinder archtype here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/scrollmaster)

Kind of a neat off beat idea, using scrolls as swords and shields. Sort of cool, they get an enhancement bonus based on the spell and you can even add enchantments to them, by 5th level you gain the ability to add Ghost touch, light fortification or moderate fortification to your scroll. Wow! I mean it's a pretty limited list, just three choices, but at 5th level that's pretty Cool. But there's a catch, you have to know the prerequsite spell you'd need for enchanting it. So what spells are those? Either plane shift for ghost touch, or WISH for fortification. You can't even learn planeshift until level 13 minimum. So you get a new ability that could use Eight levels later IF you pick plane shift as one of your two spells? Does that seem off at all? Would it be better to just require the spell be on your list of possible spells known? I mean, this is wizard we're talking about so that's hardly overpowered.

I tried taking this to the dysfunctional rules thread but they didn't notice it among the constant argument of rules minutiae.

TuggyNE
2014-01-07, 09:14 PM
Hey all, I was just reading the scrollmaster Pathfinder archtype here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/scrollmaster)

Kind of a neat off beat idea, using scrolls as swords and shields. Sort of cool, they get an enhancement bonus based on the spell and you can even add enchantments to them, by 5th level you gain the ability to add Ghost touch, light fortification or moderate fortification to your scroll. Wow! I mean it's a pretty limited list, just three choices, but at 5th level that's pretty Cool. But there's a catch, you have to know the prerequsite spell you'd need for enchanting it. So what spells are those? Either plane shift for ghost touch, or WISH for fortification. You can't even learn planeshift until level 13 minimum. So you get a new ability that could use Eight levels later IF you pick plane shift as one of your two spells? Does that seem off at all? Would it be better to just require the spell be on your list of possible spells known? I mean, this is wizard we're talking about so that's hardly overpowered.

Spellcraft check goes up by 5 to emulate having a spell you don't have yet while crafting. Should work, I think, and it is certainly the usual pattern in PF; if it doesn't work by technical RAW, that's dysfunctional but not hard to fix.

I tried taking this to the dysfunctional rules thread but they didn't notice it among the constant argument of rules minutiae.

One good rules minutia deserves another! (In other words, yes, that was the proper place, and it fit in perfectly with all the other discussions.)

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-07, 09:26 PM
The list of options I saw when I followed the link was a bit more extensive.

That list of three is only for scroll shield not both sword and shield.

Still a weird limitation though.

Septimus
2014-01-07, 10:25 PM
I would mention that the archetype Scrollmaster mentions about "known spells" for a wizard, and the definition of such is more lousy defined than for the sorcerer for example. To know a spell, a wizard needs to decipher a source of a spell and write it on her spellbook. No need to have sufficient level to cast it effectively. So you can find a source of a limited wish, scribe it into your spellbook and "know" it well before you can cast it (according to the prd, it should cost ~735 gp).

Rather poorly described, and nearly dysfunctional I would say.

Vanitas
2014-01-08, 02:24 AM
Damn. Now I want to play a Scrollmaster. Don't really want to cast spells, just want to go all Read or Die on everyone else. :smallwink:

nedz
2014-01-08, 03:00 AM

The fact that no one comments on a dysfunction doesn't mean that it's being ignored — just that there's no disagreement. So it should have been picked up in the handbook. Do you have a reference/link to the post ?

Psyren
2014-01-08, 08:56 AM
Nitpick: Scrollmasters need Limited Wish for fortification, not Wish. Still high but not insurmountable.

Damn. Now I want to play a Scrollmaster. Don't really want to cast spells, just want to go all Read or Die on everyone else. :smallwink:

Ditto, I've always been curious. Sadly their CMB/CMD are likely to be pretty crap and so melee is a bad place for them even with the scrollblades. Spells can help with that provided they aren't caught off-guard.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-08, 09:51 AM
melee is a bad place for them even with the scrollblades.

This is the main reason I don't like the archetype. If you want a melee Wizard, you should play a Magus.

Psyren
2014-01-08, 10:15 AM
This is the main reason I don't like the archetype. If you want a melee Wizard, you should play a Magus.

It's worth noting however that they get most of their key features by 5th level; this archetype seems to have been tailor-made for Eldritch Knight. (Note also that EK levels count for Wizard Discoveries thanks to Diverse Training.)

CTrees
2014-01-08, 10:36 AM
For the Read or Die Scrollmaster, I'd treat melee as a backup. Use only spells you can refluff to have paper based effects - Magic Missile, Hold Person, Mage Armor/Shield, Summon Monster __, and so on are all easy. Largely play as a normal wizard, just with even more scroll use than normal. Describe your spells in detail. Wield your scrolls as swords and shields, but only use them when you absolutely have to. Jump into either Loremaster, Cyphermage, Eldritch Knight, or Pathfinder Savant, depending on where you want to take it.

Actually, man, that sounds like a lot of fun. If I ever end up on the other side of the DM screen, I might play some form of this.