PDA

View Full Version : Lords of Creation - Anyone Still Play?

Maerok
2014-01-07, 10:27 PM
Been a while since I was back on here and it's great to see that LoC has carried on in some capacity or another. I was one of the original crew when AlchemyPrime started it up (or imported it to Giantitp) in 2008.

LoC has been very impressive as it's been one of the only persistent forum roleplay games in my wanderings. Looking around, it seems like there's been a few short-lived runs. They just sort of end suddenly with no warning in the IC or OOC threads. Are there any people left around here with ties to the game?

Draken
2014-01-08, 09:05 AM
Did you scroll recruitment over Maerok? There is one LoC presently recruiting that I recall, other than that a variety of god games with different names have sprung as well.

Maerok
2014-01-08, 11:02 AM
Some stuff I see from July and November of '13. I'll have to go back and look through them then.

Hamste
2014-01-08, 11:51 AM
I still play it. They do tend to die out suddenly. The only one I have seen that lasted a long time was Gods of Brutality which had a set win condition and we recouped action points quickly.

Maerok
2014-01-08, 02:01 PM
It kind of needs a plotline from the start - a three-act play maybe. It's been done loosely before with Ages of ___ before where actions and AP changed over the phase of the game.

If I were to try and start something up, I might eschew the typical setup and start with more urban fantasy in the vein of American Gods or Neil Gaiman's sort of canon. Maybe throw in stirrings of Small Gods for how spirits develop.

Taking it a bit further - Neo-Earth is a thousand-thousand years farther advanced than the current state of the world. Technology and magic and divinity are inseparable after the Singularity - the PCs are emerging AIs that have risen up to the reclaim the world. A world of living artifice like MTG's Mirrodin saga.

Grinner
2014-01-08, 05:50 PM
I enjoy the idea of LoC, but it's suffers from a fatal flaw or two.

From what I've observed, there's a bit of a moratorium on harming another's creation or co-opting creative control of it. This territoriality discourages the cross-pollination of ideas, and the game is then liable to stagnate and wither.

I'm of the opinion that there should be some kind of meta-game to incentivize certain courses of action, sort of like how FATE does things. The last time any sort of discussion on the subject took place, the interested parties drew a line between "streamline the game" and "change the game's paradigm", and the dialogue broke down from there.

It's one of the more memorable discussions I've witnessed.

Maerok
2014-01-08, 09:12 PM
And that's where Gods of Destruction came from?

I think there was a point where a bit of arbitration was needed to setup large-scale events and opposition to PCs. Otherwise everyone is always working on a very superficial, rules-limited but fair level.

Grinner
2014-01-08, 09:41 PM
Actually...Yeah. I don't remember the details, but I think one of the posters made Gods of Destruction as a joke and an incidental stroke of genius.

Edit: Aha! Found it! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15285051&postcount=342)

Maerok
2014-01-08, 10:17 PM
It's an LoC-based arena game then. Have to read up on how it has progressed but I think it's a little out of my style.

Grinner
2014-01-08, 10:33 PM
It's an LoC-based arena game then. Have to read up on how it has progressed but I think it's a little out of my style.

I think it's more like LoC with entropic tendencies. Still, your opinion's quite understandable.

Maerok
2014-01-09, 08:03 PM
That big old thread about rule changes and such was quite delicious.

Perhaps one of the things GoD has working for it is that it isn't bound to creating a coherent campaign setting. I remember there being a few attempts to play through settings before but never followed up to see what the outcome was.

You'd think being there throughout the development of the world would keep you up to date but with 10+ players at a time it quick slips away from you if you don't explicitly try to stay on top of everything.

Heliomance
2014-01-10, 05:32 PM
There's one going on at the moment.
Recruitment thread
OOC thread
IC thread

Eldest
2014-01-11, 11:02 PM
It kind of needs a plotline from the start - a three-act play maybe. It's been done loosely before with Ages of ___ before where actions and AP changed over the phase of the game.

If I were to try and start something up, I might eschew the typical setup and start with more urban fantasy in the vein of American Gods or Neil Gaiman's sort of canon. Maybe throw in stirrings of Small Gods for how spirits develop.

Taking it a bit further - Neo-Earth is a thousand-thousand years farther advanced than the current state of the world. Technology and magic and divinity are inseparable after the Singularity - the PCs are emerging AIs that have risen up to the reclaim the world. A world of living artifice like MTG's Mirrodin saga.

That... would be really fun, the AI thing. You'd need some detail, but yeah. Nice. Would play it.