PDA

View Full Version : help figuring out how to do this (3.5)

Somensjev
2014-01-07, 10:58 PM
one of my players for an upcoming campaign wants to play a character who uses swords and elemental magic, and I cant think of a class for this, i'm sure i could multi class and accomplish it, but I'd like to find a class that does it by it's self

the players are starting at level 10

thank you for any help

Kraken
2014-01-07, 11:07 PM
Does a duskblade, from PHB2, do what you want?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-07, 11:15 PM
Human, Archivist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) 7/ Sacred Exorcist 1/ Archivist 2 starting out, final build should be Archivist 11/ Sacred Exorcist 1/ Contemplative 1/ Divine Oracle 4/ Paragnostic Apostle 3.

One flaw, Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Knowledge Devotion (CC), Fell Drain Spell (LM), Two-Weapon Fighting, Divine Metamagic: Persistent, and start with the Skill Focus prerequisite for Divine Oracle via the Frog God's Fane in Complete Scoundrel.

Use DMM: Persist with Fell Drain Flame Blade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flameBlade.htm), Fell Drain Ice Axe (SC), Divine Power, Mass Lesser Vigor (SC), and whatever else he has enough turn undead uses for. He should start out knowing the spell Fire Shield so next level he can use DMM: Persistent Fell Drain Fire Shield twice each day (one hot and one cold). Get a Reliquary Holy Symbol (MIC), Night Sticks (LM), a Lesser Rod of Extend, Gloves of the Balanced Hand (MIC), and a standard Strand of Prayer Beads that's had the Bead of Smiting removed which costs 9,000 gp per DMG pricing. Be good aligned to be able to use (Greater) Luminous Armor and cast Magic Vestment on it each day.

The gloves give him Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, so with Divine Power he'll get two main-hand attacks and two offhand attacks. That's four swings, two with each weapon, and they make touch attacks and deal energy damage so they ignore most AC bonuses and all damage reduction. Each weapon inflicts a negative level every time it deals damage, but each weapon can only inflict one negative level on a single creature each round. If he hits one opponent twice with the sword in one round it only receives one negative level, but if he hits it with the axe once and the sword once it receives two negative levels. With Fell Drain Fire Shield opponents who hit him will take some damage and receive more negative levels.

Lon'qu
2014-01-07, 11:23 PM
The Dusk Blade one seems to be closest to what I was hoping for (I'm the one Chaotic Stupid is talking about :smallcool:), it's because Dragon Quest's Armamentalists are the coolest!
It's either that or a Beguiler at the moment, but it always seems that whatever class I end up as I always become a money hoarder of sorts... :smallconfused:

Kaje
2014-01-07, 11:25 PM
What do you mean by elemental magic? One element or all? Does it have to be spellcasting?

Somensjev
2014-01-07, 11:26 PM
i assume it's preferably all elements, and non-magic is probably ok

if not then lon'qu can say so

Brookshw
2014-01-08, 12:33 AM
Have you considered the blade dancer (http://dndtools.eu/classes/blade-dancer/) its not horribly powerful but fits the profile.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-08, 02:22 AM
How about a wilder?

Greenish
2014-01-08, 02:25 AM
Swordsage (ToB) dabbling in Desert Wind?

Raezeman
2014-01-08, 03:29 AM
battle sorcerer (unearthed arcana class variant) seems an easy answer in my eyes.
- Cleric bab
- 8HD
- spellprogession is nerved sorcerer (-1 spell known and -1 spell per day, minimum 1)
- proficient with 1 martial weapon of choice
- can cast in light armor without arcane spell failure

So i would say this is in league with the sword thing, and you can focus your spell selection on the elemental thing and you have all you wanted. Maybe a few that increase your sword skills (haste jumps to mind).
If you want more elemental variety then the nerved sorcerer spell progression provides, you can take the elemental substitution feat.
Quickened true strikes with power attack seems lovely too. (residual magic is key)

Gwendol
2014-01-08, 04:49 AM
I would pick Warmage over battle sorcerer, but to each his own.

Raezeman
2014-01-08, 05:06 AM
I would pick Warmage over battle sorcerer, but to each his own.

Well, the warmage certainly fullfills that elemental magic part, but i feel is a little low on the swordplay part. i just now noticed that the warmage has a d6 instead of d4, so not bad for a caster. Though i prefer a melee type character to claim all HP it can possible get. Also, the no proficiency in a martial weapon is not that big of a deal (i take it the sword part doesn't have to be a sword, but morningstar is ok too?).
Main reason that i prefer battle sorcerer over warmage over this is the earlier access to arcane strike at level 6 and possibility of taking some increase swordplay spells.
Also, two-handed power attacking can make a difference with better bab i think.

Gwendol
2014-01-08, 05:16 AM
If you emphasise the martial part that much I'd say that either use the duskblade or build a more traditional gish using wizard or sorcerer/fighter/spellsword/abj champion for example.

Raezeman
2014-01-08, 07:02 AM
If you emphasise the martial part that much I'd say that either use the duskblade or build a more traditional gish using wizard or sorcerer/fighter/spellsword/abj champion for example.

For general melee-arcane combination, i chose duskblade, one of my characters being one indeed.

Xerlith
2014-01-08, 01:33 PM
An answer would be one of the tons of homebrew classes that use elemental themes.

A Swordsage with a focus on Desert Wind is an option too.

Going a step further, you can refluff Diamond Mind or Tiger Claw as air(wind)-based, Stone Dragon lends itself naturally to Earth, water... Setting Sun? And Shadow Hand as the Void one.

A Wu Jen 2/Swordsage4/Jade Phoenix Mage X may be a good one, too. Using Precocious Apprentice to qualify for JPM.

Duskblade5/Warblade1 is also a possible entry, why not. It's not very synergistic though.

Petrocorus
2014-01-08, 04:00 PM
A good Spellsword / Abj. Champ / Swiftblade / EK build is really better than Duskblade, because the Duskblade's spells list is far too limited. And you can gather interesting combo of class features and saves with multiclassing.

A Sorcadin build is also an option.

Duskblade can be a good option only if the DM allows to widen the spell list with utility spells and elemental spells.

I second that Swordsage could be a good fit too.

There are probably some Glaivelock builds that could fit too.