PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Roll your alignment - The "6th Alignment System", Simplish Alignment System

6thEdition
2014-01-07, 11:59 PM
Since there are so many alignment threads lately, I thought I would make mine. This is a little based on easydamus's system (http://www.easydamus.com/alignment.html).

This is nicknamed the "6th Alignment System" based on my username.

Step 1: Choose your Alignment

First, you'll need to choose your alignment. Pala, a paladin has chosen Lawful Good, Wizstaff, a wizard is True Neutral while Druit, a druid, is Chaotic Evil.

Step 2: Roll!

The second step is to roll 4 d20s, two for your morality scale (Good or Evil) and two for your ethics score (Lawful or Chaotic). If you are Good or Lawful, add your roll to 60, and if you are Evil or Chaotic, subtract your roll from 40.

Reroll if your score is lower than 71 on the Lawful/Good scale or if your score is higher than 29 on the Chaotic/Evil scale.

Pala has a 72 Lawful and a 83 Good, Wizstaff has a Neutral (ethics) score of 56 and a Neutral (morality) score of 44, and Druit has a 12 Chaotic and 11 Evil

If you are neutral: Roll a d6 instead of a d20, and add or subtract (your choice) it from 50.

Final Step: Check the Table

{table]Alignment Score|Current Alignment|Alignment Die|Opposed Alignment Die|Bonus/Penalty
0|Chaotic/Evil|None|d20|+2
1 - 9|Chaotic/Evil|d2|d20|+1
10 - 19|Chaotic/Evil|d6|d12|0
20 - 29|Chaotic Evil|d12|d6|0
30 - 39|Chaotic/Evil|d20|d2|-1
40|Chaotic/Evil|d20|d2|-2
41 - 59|Neutral|d6|None|0
60|Lawful/Good|d20|d2|-2
61 - 70|Lawful/Good|d20|d2|-1
71 - 80|Lawful/Good|d12|d6|0
81 - 90|Lawful/Good|d6|d12|0
91 - 99|Lawful/Good|d2|d20|+1
100|Lawful/Good|None|d20|+2[/table]

Alignment Score: This is your alignment score. Look for your score here.

Current Alignment: This is your current alignment.

Alignment Die: If you are Lawful/Good and do a Lawful/Good act, roll your alignment die and add the results to your alignment score. If it goes over 100, your alignment score does not increase. If you are Chaotic/Evil, subtract your roll from your score. If it goes below 0, it does not decrease. If you are Neutral, you add or subtract depending on the deed you did. If it was Lawful/Good, it increases. If it was Chaotic/Evil, it decreases. If you do not have an alignment die, you are at the extreme of your alignment, congratulations!

Opposed Alignment Die: If you are Lawful/Good and do a Chaotic/Evil act, roull your Opposed Alignment Die and subtract the results from your alignment score. If you are Chaotic/Evil and do a Lawful/Good act, add your roll to your score. If you are Neutral, you don't have an opposed alignment, instead you roll your alignment die.

Bonus/Penalty: If you are nearing or at the extreme of your alignment, you gain a bonus against your opposed alignment. If you had a 91 in Good, then you would gain a +1 bonus on all rolls against Evil. If you had a 0 in Chaotic, you would get a +2 bonus against lawful. However, if you were at the other extreme, you would gain a penalty instead of bonus. A 36 Evil means you gain a -1 penalty against Good, and a 60 Lawful means you had a -2 penalty against Chaotic. If you are Neutral, you do not gain any bonus.

Examples:

Pala did a Lawful act which the DM thinks is significant. She then rolls a d12, and gets a 7. She then increases her 72 Lawful to 79.

However, Druit has accidentally helped Pala do this Lawful act. He rolls a d12 and gets a 10. So he increases his Chaotic of 12 to 22.

Wizstaff, on the other hand, did an Evil act a few days later. The DM tells Wizstaff to roll alignment, and he gets a 3, decreasing his 44 Neutral (ethics) to 41. If he does one more Evil act, he will turn Evil.

Being the helpful guy, Druit helps Wizstaff do this Evil act. He gets a 4 on his d6, lowering his 11 Evil to 7, also giving him a +1 bonus against Good people (but not Lawful yet).

---------------------------

So what do you people think?

Altair_the_Vexed
2014-01-08, 04:08 AM
It might work, depending on your gamers - but it seems like a lot of book keeping to me. I don't think I'd adopt this system.

As far as presentation goes, it would be clearer if you used some tables.

6thEdition
2014-01-08, 05:07 AM
Edited post with a table.

And I don't think there's much book keeping. You have 4 numbers between 0 - 100 which occasionally change, and two dice, which you'll periodically role and possibly change. Is that a lot to remember?

TuggyNE
2014-01-08, 06:59 AM
Edited post with a table.

And I don't think there's much book keeping. You have 4 numbers between 0 - 100 which occasionally change, and two dice, which you'll periodically role and possibly change. Is that a lot to remember?

You also have a situational modifier of from +2 to -2 depending on the alignment of various enemies and your current alignment. That right there is a major factor, especially since it applies to all rolls.

Steward
2014-01-08, 07:09 PM
What's the goal of this alignment system? It still involves the same level of judgment calls and individual thought except that now you have to do some math too (mostly at character creation, admittedly). I think it's not too hard to follow and I wouldn't mind using it, but I don't see the advantage it has over the ordinary alignment system.

The unique thing about it for me is the bonus structure. I do have a question about that though -- when you say "bonus against lawful", does that bonus have a type?